Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 5,901 Words
  • 1,580 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin - 48. Chapter 48

Chapter 48.

Woorawa's mind boggled. The trip involving the joint effort of a Realm Tree portal for fifty Griffins loaded with life bombs, hosts and warders, a convoy flight to the Boundary, then a crossing and another flight to familiar territory had all been exciting, but the long glittering ribbons of water replacing tracts of barren land made it hard to accept that one storm, massive as it had been, could bring so much change. Now, below, was a small river flowing in the valley where they’d crossed the dry bed.

"This is unbelievable, Maurice. How can there be water still flowing after two days?"

"Remember the strength of the deluge, Woorawa. Huge quantities of snow and ice were carried to milder levels and they continue to thaw and supply this system that will become permanent lakes and swamps."

Maurice banked and descended to land on a large knoll rising from the surrounding sea of mud and pools and water. The protective flap lifted and everyone watched with their own eyes as the convoy of Griffins and riders made their own landings.

"Ranevargar, Fifty Griffins seemed like a lot when we left but they’re tiny really when you compare them to the area we saw through Maurice’s eyes."

"Very tiny, Woorawa, and the hosts will only seed this immediate area which Kieran and Maurice have chosen as their Central Grove. The land-based seeds have been selected for their rapid growth and profuse seed production characteristics."

"Land-based? Are they going to put seeds in the water too?"

"Of course, Tan. Water plants will be the base for prolific growth of water creatures and everything that depends on them ... We can talk while we move. Time is in short supply."

Woorawa smiled at the nimble way Ranevargar led the way down Maurice’s back. If the High King saw him now the tired old elf image would be totally wiped.

Every Griffin and rider suddenly turned toward them.

"What's that about, Kieran?"

"They’re listening to Maurice, Woorawa. He’s assigning them exact areas so there’s no overlap. They’re going to rest for a while and then half of them will concentrate on the nearby water areas and the rest will work close to this new Central Grove we’re establishing. Krol and Kron are loaded for the next storm area and they’ll be riding piggyback on Maurice to get there and then I’d like Rhys and Tan to spread the seed while Ranevargar establishes the Realm Tree Grove."

"Will we be there for long? I’d like to take a turn."

"We want you involved in every Realm Tree planting, Woorawa, in case it helps with your own Tree back at Mparntwe."

"Helps? What does that mean? I can't do anything with Realm Trees."

"Ranevargar thinks if I learn enough I’ll be able to link you so you can send it power and help its growth."

Woorawa gave Kieran a puzzled look.

"That's crazy. You know I haven't got power."

"We’ll get a necklace for one of the Ruby stones and then you will."

Ranevargar interrupted.

"It is not as unlikely as it sounds, Woorawa. Kieran has already given you a similar arrangement for your shields."

"... I suppose ... But that's all automatic."

"Yes, and this would be too, unless we can find some way to give you a degree of control, but it's all just conjecture till Kieran develops at least a rudimentary skill with Realm Trees."

"... Airy fairy!"

"Bong him on the head, Kieran. We don't want him making fairy jokes."

Ranevargar sensed more than one level of amusement but time was passing so he collected the first Realm Tree pod from the pack Rhys was carrying, gouged a shallow furrow then, setting it into a carefully spread life bomb, covered it with a mound of soft wet soil.

Tan was really curious.

"I know they’re clumps of especially good dirt, Ranevargar, but why do you call them life bombs?"

"The soil of Kieran’s Realm is sterile, Tan, but, with moisture and the new conditions, the myriads of tiny life forms existing in the bombs will proliferate explosively and spread fertility. Without them the plants cannot access the nourishment they need."

"Sounds like science to me."

"Knowledge, Rhys. Link hands, everyone, while Kieran and I merge to activate the life within this pod."

"All of us?"

"Yes, Tan. We will share this experience."

The merge was brief and very intense and while they moved to the next location Ranevargar guided Kieran through what they’d done.

"That was my demonstration, Kieran. When we merge for the next pod I will direct your mind to make the activation."

"Like a kind of forced learning?"

"In a way, Rhys. It will establish a pattern which I expect Kieran will very quickly master."

"He’s a genius with patterns. They just click in for him."

Ranevargar nodded, somewhat distractedly then, collecting another pod and bomb, he pointed.

"Over there, Woorawa. Set the pod in the same manner as the first one."

***

When Kieran activated the fifth pod without any help a giant smile lit Ranevargar's features.

"It is the first of many steps, Kieran, but it shows you will eventually be able to manage any aspect of Realm Tree growth you care to learn. Take Rhys and Mr B with you and we will split for the six remaining pods. Maurice will be well pleased because this puts us ahead of schedule."

***

Woorawa's mind boggled at the site of the massive bank of dark storm clouds covering three adjacent mountain peaks, lightning flickering brilliantly and constantly in contrast, with curtains of rain draping against the middle and lower slopes. This was a new storm, started when Maurice took to the air and built to his high-speed mode over half an hour ago, and they were seeing it because Kieran requested slowing enough to use Maurice’s normal eyesight rather than the blurred vision through the protective membrane. No wonder this was called the Great Range. According to Maurice there was still about twenty minutes of rapid travel before they reached where the Range curved to flank the ocean before veering inland again.

"These mountains are a lot higher than Maurice’s cavern, Ranevargar. The floods will take longer to reach the plains."

"Yes, Woorawa, and with the size of that storm there will be a staggering amount of water spreading across the plains for days and days, and with eight other storms planned we will need a whole series of seed expeditions and a dedicated group of hosts and griffins to stay and work with Maurice."

"Will all the storms be as big as this one?"

"We’ve stopped storming so I can take in what's happening with this section of the range, Woorawa. As soon as we build up speed we’ll be at it again because Maurice wants every bit of white power we can manage. The next storm’s even bigger than this one because it has to supply three dry river systems which reach hundreds of kilometres across the plain."

Maurice increased speed and obligingly made a steady 360° scan.

"Have you seen enough, Kieran? We still have a great deal of ground cover."

***

Woorawa's mind boggled at the stark beauty of the panorama so far below, the wrinkled ocean butting broken cliffs while mountains met water, white ribbons of sand way in the distance where the Range veered inland again, and the glitter of newly standing water and river systems that was their destination.

Maurice dived and Woorawa smiled at the muffled exclamations of excitement as his friends responded to the tummy lurch and whirling change of viewpoint relayed from Dragon eyes.

"How many pods for this Grove, Ranevargar?"

"We are approximately halfway along the Great Range, Woorawa, and Kieran and Maurice are initially developing a basic Grove as a staging point."

A basic Grove meant four trees so that meant a relatively short stay.

"We won't be staying long but make sure you stretch your legs because we only get one more stop before we rendezvous with the Griffins back at the Boundary crossing."

Maurice landed and Ranevargar did the pod planting because, although he was present, Kieran was totally preoccupied with calling white power and helping Maurice use it for yet another distant storm.

***

Kieran rested his head on Rhys's shoulder and closed his eyes for a moment of happy relaxation while everyone waited for Woorawa to return to the campfire.

Ranevargar was a real taskmaster, friendly and enthusiastic, yes, but so keen to see progress with everything they did that Kieran had to call for time out when the strain of concentration went for too long. Mr B laughed at every break, saying it was a kind of payback for the maths coaching sessions where Kieran's intensity had pushed their time way past anything normal.

The two hour morning session with a Tree Manager had been a draining, slow motion process of establishing the curious rapport necessary for communication with the hybrid plant and animal construct, then recognising and locking in the patterns for a number of basic instructions. Ranevargar likened it to learning a new language, a strange language which was needed for intercession with a Realm Tree’s growth. At the end of the session, Rhys was blown away when, following Kieran’s instructions completely independent of Ranevargar's help, the Tree Manager formed a small hollow in the living timber. Ranevargar's excitement at this achievement had spread contagiously to everyone else who'd been watching the process so patiently.

The next hour was a long distance mind session with Maurice and the growing Opal network and, because there was nothing to see, Ranevargar sent the others for a ride on Gryl and three other Panthers.

The afternoon was taken up with a Tree Portal to the Mountain Grove, then a Griffin ride to four separate caves where Ranevargar quickened and invested proudly guarded egg clutches with the first instalment of the power which would bring the first new Griffins to the Realm in 600 years.

After an early evening meal they’d moved to the campfire for an extended group practice session, with Woorawa supervising and Ranevargar giving pointers to help everyone improve. Now, waiting while Woorawa was off preparing for this ceremony, which he'd informed everyone he was calling his Dragondance, Kieran was appreciating his first lazy moment for the day.

"It must be something special. He usually just makes it up as he goes. Has he told you anything about it, Tan?"

"Not much, but I know it’s a big deal for him because he’s been having thinking moments about it all day."

Rhys laughed.

"Kieran and Ranevargar's Buddha trances must be contagious. You’d better be careful or you’ll be infected next, Tan."

Everyone rolled their eyes in mock disgust. Thinking moments were a given with Tan.

"Thinking moments? ... Well, that means you’re safe, Rhys."

Mr B’s jibe got no response because Rhys had a question he'd been meaning to ask for ages.

"How long will it be before the Griffin eggs hatch, Ranevargar?"

"Three weeks, Rhys, but it will be at least an extra week before you can meet the hatchlings."

"How come?"

"Maternal instinct. It's very powerful with Griffins and we will have to wait till Krol knows it is safe to invite us."

"Wow! What about him and the other males then?"

"They enter the caves with great caution, Rhys, carrying gifts of food. If you ask Krol for permission he might let us watch with his vision."

"Well, I ..."

A soft but deep humming sound turned every eye to watch the indistinct movement approaching from the direction of the Realm Tree.

"... Oh! ...My! ...God!"

Rhys's amazement was universally shared and above his own wonder, Kieran sensed Gryl's head lift uneasily till the approaching apparition entered the flickering circle of campfire light.

Seemingly luminous of their own accord, two golden eyes fixed each watcher in turn before settling on Ranevargar with fierce intensity. The hum strengthened and, complemented by half a dozen hosts tapping on rhythm sticks, sounded a querying pseudo-roar. Clad in a black traditional style loose loincloth disconcertingly matching natural skin colour, the figure froze on the spot with limbs reaching in entreaty to the ruler of this Realm. Lines of striking white ran down the front of all four limbs and spread to fingers and toes in surreal imitation of Draconian talons.

Kieran's hair stood on end as the supplication to Ranevargar failed and the frozen creature stirred and reached, with new and stronger longing, directly toward him.

After one more questioning roar a chant started, a new chant, soft and distinctive with a hint of rumble, and Woorawa began to move.

Spirit consumed him. Spirit flared with every step as a Dragon awoke. Fire burned as eyes and mind opened after an age of darkness. Fire blazed in the four elements of a mighty challenge. The fire of pain spread to the watchers as flesh writhed with the torture of first movement. Again movement ceased and, accompanied by the evocative new chant, the Dragon spirit, arms outstretched, in poignant entreaty, looked for help in healing.

Rhys, dazed and entranced, swayed in earnest agreement. Quivering wings spread with growing vigour as frozen myth transformed to joyous reality. Woorawa, Dragon spirit, danced the expression of a curious elevation and first powerful wing beats. In Kieran's stunned mind the campfire became the world below Woorawa's wheeling motion till, with arms somehow kept widespread in a startling aerial body flip, the restored construct brought everything to a stop.

The dark chest glistened in the firelight, heaving for air till Woorawa, returning to the world, opened his eyes, made a little bow then looked for acknowledgement.

None came.

The silent onlookers, taken out of themselves, slowly and reluctantly made their own returns while eyes outlined with glowing yellow moved between them with increasing puzzlement. Woorawa's hesitant touch on Tan's arm brought rapid eye blinks, a head lifted in awareness and an expression which looked like disbelief.

"... Tan! It's me! ... What’s wrong?"

Tan’s lips parted but a rush of movement interrupted and Rhys, yelling incoherently, hugged and an increasingly bewildered Woorawa, whirled him in a joyous circle, then released him to stare with happy disbelief while everyone else swamped him with their own hugs and strange exclamations. Even Ranevargar?

"Did I do something weird or have you all gone crazy?"

"It wasn't weird, Woorawa. It was amazing. You turned into Maurice."

Woorawa had to smile everyone's eager agreement.

"Um! That's the whole point, Kieran."

"No it's not. It was so real I don't believe it. My eyes could see it was you but my brain says it was Maurice."

"I was flying, actually flying, except I knew I wasn't. I didn't know dancing could be so good. It totally sucked me in."

Rhys was raving about dancing? Mr B spoke next.

"Rhys is right, Woorawa. I felt Maurice’s pain and then his ecstasy as strongly as when it happened. Did you practice that in secret to get it so perfect?"

"I’ve been thinking about it all day, Mr B, but we've been too ..."

Kieran, surprised by the abrupt cut off, followed Woorawa's surprised gaze to Tan, standing with his eyes closed and body unnaturally still. What? A frisson of apprehension banished his excitement then strengthened with the shock of being unable to sense any thoughts or feelings.

"What’s happened to him, Ranevargar? He’s kind of gone."

"We have mystery compounded with mystery and I am more than bewildered, Kieran. Merge with me while we seek answers."

With a rush of clarity and skill Kieran joined all his Tan patterns with Ranevargar's experience and mastery in a careful and intricate probe which found nothing at all.

"This is beyond us, Kieran. He ... His eyes have opened."

"You have the gift of dance, Child of the People. Use it as your heart and mind decree."

Tan’s eyes closed again, momentarily, then along with a head shake, blinked open.

"That's the best dance you’ve ever done, Woorawa, and your yellow eyes are unreal ... What?"

The merged probe rushed for assessment.

"He is himself again and completely unaware of the incident. Whatever it is caused no harm."

"You went funny, Tan. Why did you say I've got the gift of dance like it was a big deal?"

Tan turned to Kieran.

"Was I talking, Kieran? I don't remember."

Rhys made a loud blat of disbelief.

"He’s got the Buddha look, Tan. You did speak and he’s thinking about it ... So’s Ranevargar."

The merge dropped and Ranevargar spoke straight away.

"Woorawa and Rhys are right, Tan. You responded to the mystery of the dance with your own mystery. Kieran and I merged to try and understand but your mind was closed to us while you made your pronouncement."

"Pronouncement?"

"Yes, Tan. Exhortation even. The message and its delivery held authority. You have the gift of dance, Child of the People. Use it as your heart and mind decree. Those were the words you used."

"Child of the People? Where would that come from. It's true but it's not what I’d say."

Woorawa leapt, literally leapt, to put a reassuring arm round Tan’s shoulders and Ranevargar smiled.

"There is nothing wrong with your mind, Tan. Kieran and I checked as soon as you returned to yourself. I am convinced this is your own special gift, given by the white power as a match for your insight and integrity, a gift which surfaces for pivotal moments such as Woorawa’s Dragondance."

Everyone nodded except Woorawa.

"You’re calling my dance a pivotal moment?"

"Absolutely, Woorawa. I thought it was the new strength in your chants, but now I think that must be a side effect. No one can dance with such power. Every one of us was held in a transcendent experience till your ending released us."

Kieran added his thoughts.

"Ranevargar’s right, Woorawa. Your dancing has always been special but this was so much more I don't even know how to describe it."

"I do. It’s in lots of the stories I’ve read. We were spellbound."

Mr B spoke up.

"Rhys is right, Woorawa. It’s a wonderful description of how your dance affected us and it does follow Ranevargar's idea that it has extended a gift you already have."

Woorawa released Tan.

"The longer we stay here the stranger everything gets, Tan. I wonder if we’ll stay different when we get back home?"

Tan had no answer of course, so attention turned to Ranevargar again.

"I strongly suspect you will, Woorawa, all of you. These are mysteries from knowledge paths different to any we know in the Realms."

"Kieran's Opal’s involved and that’s linked to the Realms."

"Part of it is, Mr B, but somehow it has acquired properties beyond those of other Realm Stones. I hope and expect that Lord Uirebon’s searches will help us with useful information about the Realm Stones and the early history of Kieran's Realm."

"And portalling. They’re looking for anything about that too, aren't they?"

"You know they are, Tan."

"Yes, but we haven't heard anything yet."

"We will, most likely when Uirebon arrives with Aglaron, but his archives are large and take time and dedication to access."

"Technology would really help, Ranevargar. If the information was stored in computers they could find what they were looking for in a few seconds."

By now everyone understood that Ranevargar's pause was really a search of their memories for understanding.

"... Interesting, Woorawa ...How long would it take to transfer millennia of archived knowledge to these devices?"

Kieran laughed.

"Forget it. It would take decades even for trained people ... Do you think Woorawa’s dancing will get stronger if he does lots of practice, Ranevargar?"

"I have no idea, Kieran, but if it is part of the nightly routine we will find out soon enough."

"There’s no if. His ceremonies are one of our special things we’re not going to miss out on."

Ranevargar nodded agreement to Kieran’s heartfelt outburst.

"Has dance always been a part of your life, Woorawa?"

"Longer than I can even remember according to Uncle Burrimul. He says I responded to music and campfire ceremonies even while I was learning to walk, but it became really important when my eyes stopped working. It was a way to feel like I was doing what everyone else was doing but then it changed so I was kind of in the story being told. It felt nice to be fairly good at something too."

Kieran nearly died of shock.

"Fairly good! What a joke, Woorawa. At the visitors centre you were the leader and you were so brilliant we were shocked when we found out you couldn't see."

"You would dance for special visitors at this centre?"

"Our ways are not understood very well, Ranevargar, and it is a way to show them to people."

Rhys interrupted.

"They’re not special visitors, Ranevargar, they're anyone who turns up and most of them are pig ignorant. I was, till Mr B took us to the power rocks at Gariwerd."

"Power rocks? The wild place where Kieran sensed heat?"

"It was unreal."

Ranevargar hesitated then shook his head.

"There are too many fascinating things to discuss and consider, Rhys, but right now I need to try and understand Woorawa's new gift."

"Do you still think it’s because he’s always been special at dance that it’s now turned magic?"

"It is a conjecture, Tan ... Will we have the opportunity to see another dance tomorrow, Woorawa?"

Woorawa grinned while he shook his head.

"No! Because tomorrow night you won't be watching. I’ll plan it so you’re all in it. You too, Ranevargar. Your worn out old elf disguise doesn't work with us and the hosts found this ochre substitute so we can make it even better. How busy are we tomorrow?"

"Far too busy to be daubing the ruler of this Realm with coloured clay."

The grin got wider.

"I'm going to make you into a Griffin."

Ranevargar made a little bow of acceptance.

"Apparently I am without choice. Kieran's determination to master everything he can about portalling will involve a morning of deep concentration and practice and another session with the Tree Manager, then we ready new resources for our next expedition to his Realm. I did notice Woorawa's interest in our food harvesting and since our ‘Buddha’ moments will be extensive the rest of you might like a guided expedition through the upper reaches of our Realm Trees."

***

"I don't believe this. We can cross to another Tree when we’re this high up?"

"Only if you wish to collect a good supply of fresh yellow fruit, Rhys. Providing you pay proper attention it is quite safe."

"Nothing’s safe when it’s 300 m to the ground, Pentar, and we haven't been climbing around like monkeys all our life. How old are you lot anyway, if that's not a rude question?"

"I am 112 years old, Rhys ... What is a monkey?"

Whoops! Another non realm reference. Rhys looked past Pentar to Woorawa happily shaking his head.

"Another hold-up, Rhys. Make some mental images and don't move while you’re distracted."

Their guides, protectors really in this Tree world, were all insatiably curious and any chance reference involving back home started a chain of questions. Pentar's eyes lit up.

"Wonderful! I have never been there but we have many similar tree creatures and their guardians in our rain forest areas."

"More guardians? What are they like?"

Whoops! Another hold-up while an image of an imposing creature displayed in the four friend’s minds.

"Wow! Something like a gorilla but not really. How big are they, Glaryl?"

Rhys questioned Woorawa's guide because it was her image.

"Your head would just reach his middle, Rhys. He appears ungainly but his movement through the trees is so graceful it gives the impression of flying."

Woorawa pointed.

"Stop talking, everyone, and start moving. We’ll only see half what we planned at this rate. Lead the way, Rhys."

"You want me to lead? That's your job, Woorawa."

"I'm sticking close to Tan. He doesn't like heights."

"Rillanor keeps me confident, Woorawa. Her mind link tells me where to step and what to hold, and there’s so much vegetation it completely disguises the height."

***

Rhys stirred reluctantly, gently removed Kieran's arm and carefully climbed across him to gain the comfort of the little alcove. What was the time? Light through the vines looked strong.

"You are the first to wake, Rhys. You should drink less."

"I know. I like it too much. Hang on while I grab some food then I’ll be with you."

Ignoring the greedy guts mind whisper, he poured a goblet of the red drink, chose a strip of the meaty tasting mushroom stuff, then, along with three of his favorite yellow fruit, collected two more strips and headed outside.

"After yesterday's effort I deserve it, Maurice. We left at dawn and got back from Kieran's Realm in the dark."

"We did cover a wearying distance but it was a wonderful day, Rhys, with all the basic Realm Tree groves started, the last of the great storms over, and the vegetation at our Central Grove augmented and proliferating."

"No more storms?"

"Not energy induced storms, Rhys. Enough snow and ice has been thawed and redistributed in liquid form to support a permanent weather cycle."

"Have you felt any effects from the white power? Ranevargar’s convinced it did stuff to us, and you used it five times yesterday."

"I have the same conviction, Rhys, but our carefull monitoring found no change other than my increasing facility with using power which is, undoubtedly, a practice effect."

"Will Kieran keep giving you white energy? He hasn't said anything about it."

"I expect he will, though the Maker, not knowing where it comes from, has concerns which Kieran doesn't share."

"Wow! They actually disagree about something? That’s a first."

"I would describe it as a differing viewpoint rather than a disagreement."

"Do you need much more energy, Maurice?"

"I have never needed it, Rhys. Kieran's realm is now in harmony with the nexus and receives the same energy support as every other Realm. I want it though, as every bit extra helps to speed the restoration. The storms have saved decades and the Maker's commitment is doing even more."

"Ranevargar loves helping, though. Every one of us felt his happiness at the green patches spreading so well, and when we saw that the Realm Tree pods had sprouted into seedlings it was straight out excitement."

"It was, Rhys, but seeing the results of his efforts gave Kieran an even greater sense of achievement, along with a new understanding of his dominion over theRealm."

"When he went quiet? I thought it was a Buddha moment with Ranevargar."

"He was linking with every Realm Tree seedling to check for health and progress."

"What? Even the ones at the staging point Grove?"

"They are in his network, Rhys, so the distance is immaterial."

"I should be used to that because he used to use Ranevargar's network to talk across the Boundary to the Guardians when we were on your quest ... Hey! Is this another thing that’s special with Ranevargar? No one’s said anything about the other Realm Lords having a network."

"It is, Rhys. He developed it to improve his stewardship."

"D'you know how long that is? He used to be the High King till he got sick of it."

"More than twenty centuries."

"Unreal! ... I wonder why he keeps quiet about his age? He told us the Realms think Lord Uirebon’s the oldest elf ... Hey! That doesn't add up. If he’s been Realm Ruler for twenty centuries it's obvious he’s older than Uirebon."

"You are right. I don't understand."

Amusement and Ranevargar's presence flashed into Rhy's mind.

"Curiosity leads you down curious paths, Rhys. The numbers do add, as far as the Realms are concerned, because 900 years ago my name and persona changed and I was appointed as the only suitable successor to my old and apparently failing previous identity ... And now that you know I will have to wipe your mind."

"Ah! … You will?"

"Not really. Kieran’s Shields protect you from prying minds and my skills with misdirection are well and truly recovered."

"Kieran told us the other Realm Rulers don't know how complicated you really are, Ranevargar. Are you going to tell him why?"

"I won't have too, Rhys. He has been deep enough into my mind during our merges to figure it out for himself."

"Ha! Another cagey answer. So what’re you doing at the moment?"

"I am preparing my mind with various approaches to help with Kieran's big effort this morning. Krol carried me to my lookout and he is keeping me company while I think."

"Is it going to be hours of mind stuff again?"

"It will be the last uninterrupted opportunity for several days and we want to make the most of it."

"Is that because you’ll be too busy or because you don't want the High King to see what’s going on?"

"Mostly because we will be too busy, Rhys ... Kieran is stirring and wondering where you are."

"Yo, Kieran! I’m outside with Maurice. Grab some food and get out here."

"Yes boss!"

***

Kieran smiled at the mixture of support and anticipation from the watchers sitting quiet and still after Ranevargar's admonishment for no distraction of any kind while he went through this final and most difficult process.

The two focus points had been easy. The main Central Grove was so familiar from frequent use as to be second nature. This new focus location at a far end of the Grove was quickly fixed after a short time of observation and association.

Changing a cluster of four ordinary Realm Trees to special Portal Trees was way beyond his ability, but he’d merged with Ranevargar to watch and develop familiarity with how the transformation took place.

This last step was to build a completely new spider structure and permanently link the locations. Ranevargar had been a wonderful teacher but his perception of the link as a type of river had meant lots of translation attempts before the building process would work for the shimmering silken link that Kieran saw in his own mind. Tendrils of blue tinged power reached the length of the Grove, connected, locked in place then, under Kieran's directing mind, slowly and steadily gave substance to a shimmering new portal link. Now, check all the length for integrity and apply a surge of power to make the location locks permanent, end the flow of energy from the Opal and watch. Yes, a new spider link, firm and steady reached invisibly all the way to the main Central Grove. Kieran opened his eyes and wiped his brow.

"It's done, everyone, and it looks good. Do you want to check it, Ranevargar?"

"It is more than good, Kieran. It is beautiful and we will all check it."

The no distraction time was obviously over so Rhys spoke up.

"It's really done? You can concentrate for half an hour and there’s a Portal all the way back? And how do the rest of us check it, Ranevargar? It’s invisible."

"A practical check, Rhy. Kieran will take us to the Central Grove and back."

"Back?"

"Yes, Rhys. Kieran will be well practised after repeating the procedure for the other Groves."

"You’re kidding! There’s ten of them. That's five hours. His brain’ll be wrecked."

"The half-hour will reduce with repetition, Rhys, quite dramatically I expect, but you are right about the effort. One more link today will help lock the pattern in place."

"Ranevargar’s right, Rhys, and I want to do it while it’s fresh in my mind. Let's make the next one the Oasis Grove so we can stay for a good relax."

***

"They’re only a few minutes away, everyone. Their Griffins are all excited about coming home and they’re building up speed with their descent."

"You’re in the Griffin's minds, Kieran?"

"Ranevargar is, Rhys, and I’m sharing. Woo hoo! He just took over and told them make a power dive so it’s a memorable arrival."

"Memorable? As if! They’ll take one look at the Guardians and they'll forget everything else."

Kieran could only agree. A speedy descent on a Griffin steed would be breathtaking at any time but the honour walk through the proud Panthers and Griffins ranged for formal greeting would have to be on the verge of daunting. Ranevargar had decided that his best substitute for the pomp and ceremony of a grand castle would be the atmosphere generated by an attending ranks of Guardians, and thinking back to his own first heart stopping moment, Kieran wondered how the visitors would react to forty giant felines as well as a matching number of Griffins.

Woorawa insisted that even a single Realm Tree was far grander than any castle but Ranevargar, knowing the ways of Elven courts, said a close encounter with his Guardians would align with their traditions more effectively.

"How are you feeling, Kieran?"

Rhys tightened their linked arms while he searched the sky.

"I haven't suddenly got nervous if that's what you're wondering, Rhys. I just want everything to go well and I know it will because Ranevargar's really in charge."

They’d talked this through between them stacks of times in the last few days because of the strange one-sided relationship to Aglaron during the visit.

"What about you, Rhys? Are you worried he’s going to make you look like a piglet?"

The arm link became a quick shove in the side.

"He won't, but don't remind him. If he finds out how funny Maurice and Mr B thought that was he might try it ... I wonder if he's got a sense of humour? Has Ranevargar said anything? Being a High King probably makes him serious."

Maurice joined in.

"A curious thought, Rhys. I haven't noticed the mantle of rule affecting Kieran's propensity to smile."

"Kieran’s different. Aglaron’s old."

The sky scanning broke off as every eye turned.

"Whoops! That came out wrong. I didn't mean you, Ranevargar. You smile all the time."

"I find I can't stop myself, Rhys, when you suggest that age will curb Kieran's laughter."

"No! No! I ..."

A tiny piglet trotted from somewhere behind the companions and leaned adoringly against Rhys’s leg.

"… That's not real! Ranevargar, don't you dare leave it there."

"Me, Rhys? I am far too ancient to even consider such frivolity ... But look, our visitors arrive."

Seven Griffins plummeted from the sky then, with joyous calls and the spectacular grace which always amazed Kieran, spread their wings to shed speed and land with precision.

Seven hosts moved to help the riders dismount and in short order the three Realm Rulers gathered and, clearly taken aback while they adapted to the proximity of the Panthers, began their walk through the unique honour guard.

The companions stayed with Maurice while Kieran and Ranevargar walked to meet them.

"Welcome to my Realm, High King, Lady Narello and Lord Uirebon. I hope your visit will be enjoyable and enlightening."

"Welcome, father and fellow Rulers, we have much to discuss and much to do."

***

Copyright © 2018 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Still in the learning mode for our understanding of the White Power but it seems the purity and purpose runs strong and has found focus with Kieran and his courtly companions. Ranevargar’s openness and support continues true but we are still need to be prepared for many more layers in that onion of understanding.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Philippe said:

Still in the learning mode for our understanding of the White Power but it seems the purity and purpose runs strong and has found focus with Kieran and his courtly companions. Ranevargar’s openness and support continues true but we are still need to be prepared for many more layers in that onion of understanding.

Hey, Neat! :) I love your 'onion' imagery of layers of understanding to prepare for.

And, yes, Ranevargar is unfailing with his support - but he also seems to be increasingly baffled with events outside his wide range of knowledge. ???

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Bravo!  A chapter with lots of meat and somehow, I have more questions than answers....whetting my appetite for more!

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Daddydavek said:

Bravo!  A chapter with lots of meat and somehow, I have more questions than answers....whetting my appetite for more!

Thanks, Dave! A bravo is much appreciated. :)

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Biological expansion crafting environmental habitats, terra-forming at its best and easiest.  The enhancements caused by the "White Power" are interesting, each member of the team each has their own specialist group of bonus powers/abilities.  We are likewise becoming reinvigorated with this end of the tale, excitement builds and landscapes develop, the meeting of minds and the execution of justice to be done, it all will come together in the fullness of time, okay just not too quickly Mr Author!

Thank you for sharing and very well done

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

 

Wow, gardening in fast-forward.  :wizard:
Let's see, another Gift revealed, so that leaves only Mr. B?
I wonder if the making of the smaller portals will serve as a tutorial for Kieran to craft/repair the inter-Realm gates?  I'd like to see each of the boys get a realm stone of their own, but are all of them red except for Kieran's?  Somehow I thought each ruler had a different color?
Waiting for the next marvellous unstallment, my friend!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

 

Wow, gardening in fast-forward.  :wizard:
Let's see, another Gift revealed, so that leaves only Mr. B?
I wonder if the making of the smaller portals will serve as a tutorial for Kieran to craft/repair the inter-Realm gates?  I'd like to see each of the boys get a realm stone of their own, but are all of them red except for Kieran's?  Somehow I thought each ruler had a different color?
Waiting for the next marvellous unstallment, my friend!

The Realm wide portal system (which needs the High King's assistance  and extra Nexus energy to access the Human world) will take at least a year to steadily regrow its basic structure before it can function again. Kieran is learning everything he possibly can about portals in the hope of maybe finding a faster alternative. (One year in the Realms is more than four years at home)

You are right. Each of the six Realm Rulers has an associated color. Kieran-blue. Aglaron-purple. Maynor-red. Uirebon-yellow. Ranevargar-green. Narello-orange.

The stone for Woorawa is one of the thirteen red rubies, lesser stones which Maynor used for accumulating energy over the years.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..