Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 4,898 Words
  • 2,136 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin - 31. Chapter 31

Chapter 31.

Kieran opened his eyes reluctantly, resisting the demand from his body that the three hour’s sleep Mr B had insisted on hadn't been enough, and saw the slight head movement as one pair of watchful eyes reacted.

"Yes, Krol, it’s time to wake everyone and get organised."

Krol's neck feathers lifted and his strong rush of anticipation and excitement washed away Kieran's lethargy.

He sat up and couldn't help smiling at the curious sight of every other form deeply asleep, despite the bright sunshine, the soft background rush of the waterfall, and the cheeky calls from a group of joker birds in a nearby tree.

A dig at Rhys’s side got absolutely no response. A second dig, with just as little effect, brought realisation and, wondering how long it might stay in effect, he cancelled the sleep command. This time the dig brought a funny little grunt of complaint before eyes blinked open.

"Go to sleep, Kieran. You need to rest."

"Our sleep’s over, Rhys. It's time to go."

"No it isn't. I just closed my eyes."

He woke now though and sat up.

"Gods! It looks like they’re all drugged or something. Did you put the Panthers to sleep as well as us?"

"No, that’s from their giant effort. They’ll wake up on their own."

And indeed, the soft talk had already set panther ears twitching.

Krol stretched his wings and gave a demanding wake up screech which startled everyone to wakefulness. After a short while the serious business of preparing for the transition to Dead World began in earnest. Mr B set Rhys and Woorawa to refastening all the water skins and another pack of supplies to Krol's harness, while Kieran and Tan joined him to take a considered inventory of their own packs. Curious fascination with the special cloaks he knew nothing about was interrupted when Rhys and Tan came rushing with huge concern.

"Kieran, there’s no food for Krol ... Except for a few biscuit things which won’'t be enough for even one day. The hosts must have forgotten him and there’s nothing in Dead World except Monsters."

"They haven't forgotten. Feeding him’s my job."

Tan and Mr B joined in with Rhys and Woorawa's blank stares.

"You? ... What? ... Kieran, they ate fourteen of those rabbit things in one go."

Tan grabbed Kieran’s arm.

"What don't we know this time?"

"You half know, Tan. Ranevargar told me Krol can last for two weeks without ordinary food so long as I feed him power and he gets a basic amount of water."

"He eats power? That's unbelievable."

"No it's not, Rhys. Remember how Ranevargar explained the Griffins are partly ordinary bodies and partly power so they can match the Dead World monsters? If I give him energy the power side will keep him going."

"Eating energy is a totally weird idea."

"Not really. Well, I suppose it is, but he absorbs it ... Like you do when you heal things."

Woorawa gave Rhys a cheeky shove.

"Hey, energy gobbler, how about a power munch for lunch?"

Rhys didn't respond. He was still intent on the idea that he himself was an energy eater.

"... How long have you known this, Kieran?"

"Ranevargar explained it, Woorawa, when I saw how much energy he sends to keep Maurice alive. Maurice is all power and doesn't eat any food ... There's lots more to tell you when we get a chance."

"I know. We’re too busy just now. It's one of the rules."

Kieran could only laugh at the concert of nods.

"Once we’re through the Boundary, Woorawa. We can catch up all the time when we’re walking. Packs on everyone. Time to go.

It wasn't. There was a short but heartfelt delay for goodbyes to Gryl and the other Panthers before the short trek to another ordeal of passing through the White Wall.

***

Kieran took in the awful, bleak and familiar scene, reached to tally the number of monsters in the vicinity, and motioned everyone to keep moving.

"There are five close monsters and lots more further away. What do you want us to do, Rhys?"

Rhys pointed to a small outcrop of rock a couple of hundred metres away.

"We’ll dump our packs there. I've just realised we’ll have to un-hitch all those water skins because they’ll slow Krol down, and we can't let them get damaged either. Does coming through the Wall spoil our Spook rope charges, Kieran, in case we have to use them?"

"We’re all ready, Rhys. I have a routine to rebuild everything every time we come through."

A busy moment later the packs were stowed and the twelve precious water skins unclipped from Krol's saddle. Krol himself was bristling with fierce energy and searching the sky. His aura was activated and ready of course and, according to Ranevargar's expectations after the improvements, would make the success of his efforts against these lesser monsters a forgone conclusion. The biggest concern was for a group attack, but not this time. Kieran pointed and Krol took to the air.

"A couple of minutes everyone."

"How do they know where we are, Kieran? Your mind shields are so good they can hide us from the Realm Lords and even the High King."

"I don't think they do know, Tan. They must hone in on the energy disturbance we make when we come through the Boundary, then attack anything they see."

"Gods! That’ll be Krol for sure. Look at him."

Rhys was totally right. Krol, wheeling in fierce anticipation, was a total magnet of attention. Kieran linked with him and, through his keen vision, instantly saw the shape winging close. When Krol launched forward, screams of defiance and answering rage shook the watching companions. The combatants closed then disappeared in a dazzling burst of light. Kieran, linked to Krol's view, and protected from the flash by the special blink reflex, saw Krol's talons rip into the disoriented monster. A weird cry was cut off when the physical contact unleashed the power of the aura and melted flesh. A rapidly dissolving skeleton plunged earthward, disappearing altogether before any part reached the ground.

"How was that? Gods! The aura works like a hundred Spook ropes at once. We ..."

Waves of distress reached Kieran, through the Opal network interestingly, and he turned to where Rhys had both hands over his eyes, and Tan was groping blindly for support with outstretched hands. Krol's scream of success went unnoticed. Kieran's hands touched Rhys's temple for a healing zap then the two of them moved in quick succession to Woorawa, Tan and Mr B.

"Flaming hell, Kieran! Is that going to happen with every monster? All I could see was an after-image of Krol till we fixed it. He went off like a supernova."

"Rhys is right, Kieran. We’ll need a warning signal of some kind or we’ll be useless if we need to protect ourselves."

Krol's screech of defiance warned that another monster was racing close.

"Close your eyes and look the other way. When this one’s gone we’ll figure out what to do."

Four bodies swivelled instantly and Kieran switched to Krol view till a second monster, so deadly and frightening in their memories, dissolved with a single touch of the aura and Krol's victory scream sounded again. Why were his own eyes protected? He’d been looking directly at Krol like everyone else. Hmm! Yes, the blink reflex Ranevargar had developed for Krol had acted to close his own eyes. If he hadn't been linked he would have suffered like everyone else.

"Can we look yet?"

"Yes. When you hear that victory call it's all over."

Four sets of eyes lifted to Krol's triumphant wheeling flight.

"How do they disappear so quickly?"

"Like the one you got with the Spook rope, Rhys, except the aura round Krol is way stronger. You'll see for yourself next time 'cause I’ll relay Krol's special blink reflex to all of us from now on."

"Relay? Won't that mean a delay?"

"There wasn't any for me, Mr B, but we’ll test it with a softer flash to make sure."

Woorawa was amazed.

"You know how to connect our minds to Krol's blink?"

"Ranevargar did it with the first tests and I remember his pattern."

"Is there enough time for a test? How far away are the rest of them?"

"... A few minutes at least, Mr B. Plenty of time."

Plenty of time it was and, after three tests with increasing brightness, everyone was able to watch the incredible sight of two monsters dispatched and dissolved in a matter of seconds by two efficient talon gouges. Kieran laughed when Rhys and Woorawa echoed Krol's victory call with their own then shared the rush of group excitement and renewed confidence.

"Krol’s magnificent, Kieran. The Monsters haven't got a hope against that light flash and the aura."

"Tan’s the hero, Rhys. His light flash idea protects Krol and gives him a huge first strike advantage. It’s made this expedition a lot safer for all of us."

Tan blushed and looked quite disconcerted with all the smiles and Rhys’s impulsive bear-hug.

"Um ... Krol’s used his aura three times now, Kieran. Won't he need a recharge?"

"It is already done, Tan. I’m topping him up straight after every fight so he’ll always be ready."

"Are we going to wait here for the next two, Kieran? Krol’s so strong we might as well start walking."

"He is, except for all the water skins, Rhys. He shouldn't have anything slowing him down when he’s fighting."

Rhys whacked his head in a gesture of annoyance.

"Sorry. I didn't think ... We should figure out some sort of quick release so we don't have twelve skins to unbuckle every time a monster gets close."

Woorawa was impressed with this idea and moved to examined the pile of water skins.

Mr B disagreed.

"Each skin is secured with its own buckle and they’re too important to try anything fancy. We’re better off if we have two of us working on each side of Krol, and three skins each won't take long."

Everyone turned to Kieran for a decision.

"Mr B’s right. Our water is precious and unless there’s something wrong with me we’ll always have plenty of warning. How long would it take you to unbuckle three water skins, Rhys?"

"What? .... Less than a minute I suppose."

Kieran nodded and pointed.

"We have to work our way to the end of that cliff wall then get close to that first mountain before there’s any chance of finding water."

"You haven't told us how you know where to go, Kieran. Did Ranevargar give you a mental map?"

"It's kind of straightforward till we get past that second mountain, Woorawa. There’s a valley to cross and then a third mountain we can't see from here. We have to climb part way up that to a ruined old structure."

Rhys's jaw dropped.

"Sheba! Look how dead everything is. Will we be able to make it, Woorawa?"

Mr B and Tan had made the best stock-take of all their supplies but Woorawa looked at the first mountain, way in the distance, and grinned.

"Mr B told me there’s enough water for three days if we limit ourselves to two litres a day. We'll have to be careful though because Krol needs more than we do ... Kieran, all these boulders and rough stuff at the base of the cliff are going to slow us down. We’ll be much better off if we diverge and stay where it's more open."

That was a no-brainer and everyone instantly agreed.

"Where are these other two monsters, Kieran? The sooner we get going the better."

"Not too long, Rhys. I'm going to check on Ranevargar’s link while we wait."

The last check had been back at the waterfall clearing. This check was the first from Dead World and Kieran was relieved that the link was functioning as securely and as well as it always had. Ranevargar was frustrated by the constant helplessness of his paralysis but his mind was full of confidence and plans and speculation.

Five minutes and two spectacular flashes of dissolving monsters later, Krol was standing very proudly while the twelve vital water skins were buckled securely in place.

An hour later Woorawa called a halt for their first ten minute break and the loaded packs were shed with huge relief. Tan was finding the hike particularly tough going but hadn’t made a single complaint and Kieran, who was monitoring everyone's well-being, was particularly impressed. There’d been a few brief stops to adjust and readjust the way their packs sat for the most comfort, but otherwise they’d trudged steadily along behind Woorawa, the trailblazer.

"This place freaks me out. All this walking and we still haven't seen one living thing."

"We’ve seen Monsters, Rhys. There’s been enough of them."

"They don't count, Tan. Ranevargar said they’re different, like the Spooks. I wonder how there’s proper air when there aren't any trees or plants?"

Mr B finished a carefully calculated sip from his water skin.

"I have been wondering about that too, Rhys, and I've decided it must be getting refreshed all the time from the other Realms. There has to be water coming in from somewhere too, to keep the air breathable."

"Breathable?"

"Air needs a certain amount of moisture, Rhys."

"Yeah, I knew that. Remember the creek that disappeared the first time we went through the Wall? That fits into your theory ... What's your monster radar saying, Kieran?"

"I can sense eight at the moment, Rhys, but they’re a long way away and I don't think any of them are coming for us."

"Why aren't you sure? You can sense the movement."

"They’re all moving and three of them are sort of heading this way, but it's probably just random. Bring your foot here, Tan, so Rhys can fix the uncomfortable part on your heel before it turns into a blister."

"Are you checking our feet?"

"No way, Rhys. Yours probably smell too much. Tan’s been thinking about the rubbing on his heel."

Rhys pulled his runners off, then his socks, which he gleefully waved in everyone's face.

"Shouldn't we all air our feet while we have our breaks? ... Oh boy! What are we going to feel like now that we can't wash anything?"

Mr B laughed.

"We’ll have to sit five metres apart in a few more days, going by those socks, Rhys."

The trek continued through the afternoon with a ten minute break every hour then stopped at the first sign of dusk. This was earlier than the plan but Woorawa was adamant a catch up on proper sleep was absolutely necessary to get through the next, long, long day. No one argued. Five hours of hiking with packs so heavy, made the thought of the thirteen hours Woorawa was planning for the next day totally daunting. It also worked well to familiarise everyone with the contents of their packs, Kieran in particular because this was his first chance for a leisurely look. After ten minutes of forced inaction Woorawa allowed Tan to organise the evening meal. This involved collecting half a litre of water from everyone plus a matching amount from one of Krol's water skins and putting half in one billy for the herbal drink, and the rest in the other two mixed with five heavy biscuit things.

"What are they, Tan?"

"I am not exactly sure, except that one biscuit mixed with water and heated is meant to be a whole day's worth of energy and nourishment. The host elves explained them to us the very first day when you were asleep and we got the smaller backpacks ... Kieran, we can't make a fire without wood so you’ll have to heat everything for us."

Rhys interrupted.

"Not yet. Krol’s not eating anything so we’ll give him his water before we do anything for ourselves. Can you tell him the right angle to hold his head, Kieran, so I can pour the water into his mouth without wasting any?"

A whole water skin was carefully given to Krol and by the time it was empty Rhys had learned just how much to pour for a comfortable swallow.

"Is he still thirsty, Kieran?"

"Yes, he is, but he understands that’s his ration. Watching him drink has made me extra thirsty."

Everyone watched eagerly while Kieran called on the Opal and the steadily warming contents of the billy gave off their herbal aroma. Rhys groaned.

"That stuff shouldn't smell too good. It means I'll want twice as much as soon as I finish."

"Sip it, Rhys, and make it last. That's what I'm going to do. There’s no more water till the morning."

Woorawa wasn't right because a matching amount was soaking into the biscuit things in the other billies.

"Hey! I wish we had a campfire. When you watch coals glowing you can kind of relax your mind every now and again."

"Yes, Rhys. We didn't think it at the time, but we were completely spoiled with the friendly fires and delicious fresh food at our other camps."

Mr B's comments prompted Kieran to jump up and move off, casting his eyes at the ground in the gathering dusk.

"What are you doing?"

"Help me gather some rocks and you’ll see."

"Gather rocks? He’s done too much today, Mr B, and gone loopy."

Everyone left their drink to help collect a small pile of rocks.

"Are we making a signature cairn?"

"That the a great idea, Woorawa, but no. Let me warm your drinks again and then watch."

A blue glow, hastily adjusted to a more appropriate mix of red and orange, covered the rocks and spread a circle of friendly light for the companions. Rhys reached to tentatively touch one of the stones.

"That's brilliant, Kieran. It looks so real it's weird when the stones aren't hot."

"I could do that too, I suppose, but it would waste energy."

Five bodies and a great Guardian settled in a circle round the artificial campfire and the glow of appreciation in their thoughts was reflected in their smiles.

"What’s happening with Ranevargar, Kieran? You haven't said anything about him for ages."

"That's because nothing’s really happened. Just before we stopped a couple of attendants were feeding him but Maynor hasn't been back since this morning. Ranevargar asks the attendants questions all the time but they must have orders to be quiet because they never answer."

Tan plumped the next billy in front of Kieran then, while it was heating, stirred the contents with a wooden spoon from his pack. Kieran leaned close.

"It smells good to me."

Tan, testing to make sure the top of the billy wasn't too hot, tilted it to let the campfire glow shine in.

"Can you keep it simmering for a few more minutes till the biscuits finish dissolving, Kieran? There are still lumpy bits I can see."

"Yeah! If there’s any lumps in my food Tan gets the sack and I’ll be the new cook."

Woorawa grabbed his throat and made horrible choking sounds.

"Idiot! I know how to cook."

Tan and Mr B made the choking sounds now, and Rhys shook his head in happy disgust. After a few more stirs with the spoon Tan was satisfied the food was ready. Rhys took a tentative mouthful, then another.

"Not bad for dissolved biscuits, Tan. I'll see what you do tomorrow night before I take over."

"I’ve already thought of a way to make it taste better, Rhys."

"What? Cook it for so long it gets a burnt taste? There's nothing else you can do with biscuits and water."

That made everyone curious. Kieran liked the surprisingly rich taste anyway and ate his share slowly and smiled at Tan’s way of making sure he stayed in charge of the cooking.

"Are we going to sleep straight away, Kieran, or do you need to practice anything?"

"Ranevargar told me to practice calling lots of Opal energy, Woorawa, but it's time to send another assurance message to Burrimul and Tan's family so we’ll do that first. That's all though, and then we’ll get a proper catch up for our sleep."

"Proper? As if! Woorawa wants to wake us up before it's even sunrise."

"Yep! And you’re the first so you can get breakfast ready for everyone."

"Torture! What are we having? I’ll get it organised now. Hey, how do we clean everything without wasting water?"

"There’s plenty of sand, Rhys, and we need to do that now."

Kieran supplied a new glow of light for Woorawa's scouring process then everyone gathered round the rock fire.

"Are we going to do the connection for Tan and Woorawa every couple of days, Kieran?"

"Ranevargar told me time’s different here, Mr B. Two days in the Realms is about a week at home."

"That's ... Impossible!"

"No, it's not, Tan. Lots of stories about people going into Faerie talk about it. Some of them even have a couple of days being years when people return."

"I hope not, Rhys. Ranevargar's version’s bad enough. Half the semester could be gone before we get home ... Hold my hand, Tan."

Woorawa followed Tan with a reassurance call, then with an enormous surge, Kieran transferred Opal power to the great reservoir of the Realm Trees. He opened his eyes to darkness. Whoops!

"Sorry everyone. I was concentrating so hard I forgot the rock fire."

The cheery light reappeared while everyone got ready for the night's rest. Mr B came back from relieving himself with an idea that so much moisture was being wasted there should be a way to recycle their urine.

"You mean drink it? You’ve got to be kidding."

"There is a way to distil it with a plastic sheet and a container for collection, Rhys."

"Oh yeah! I’ve read about that, but no thanks. I'd rather wait till we reach the snow."

Krol crouched comfortably on the ground and Woorawa, first to be ready, sat with his back resting against his flank.

"Come on everyone. Cuddle up close to keep warm but no mucking round because we need our sleep."

"Ha! Speak for yourself, Woorawa. We’ll put Tan next to you and see what happens."

Tan did cuddle up and it was with Woorawa. Kieran knew keeping warm wasn't going to be a problem though because he could see Krol's intention to cover them all with his wing, but snuggling close to Rhys was going to happen anyway. There were good night murmurs all around and, enjoying the comfort of Rhys's arm draped across his chest, Kieran decided to make a last routine check before telling Krol they were all ready for sleep.

Ranevargar was okay, puzzling why Maynor had left him alone all day.

Gryl was half asleep somewhere and sprawled amongst the other four Panthers.

Kan was ... Wow! Kan was at the Lake Grove, full of Griffin success against an Ordered Monster incursion. That was a big achievement and good news to tell everyone in the morning. Now for a local Monster check.

SHEBA!

Kieran yelled and jumped to his feet.

"Monsters, Krol! Three of them are nearly here. Can you take off in the dark?"

With his signature scream of challenge Krol launched skyward with wing beats so powerful Kieran had to crouch to keep steady. Four bewildered friends picked themselves up.

"Get your Spook ropes ready. Three monsters are about sixty seconds away."

"What? Where? Which direction, Kieran?"

Kieran started to point but that was useless ... and even more of a problem for Krol.

What to do? Krol's aura, now glowing eerily in the sky, was drawing the invisible monsters to an ever so dangerous attack from the dark. Bad. How to help Krol beat this huge disadvantage ... Yes... And easy too.

A tiny touch of Opal power made the rapidly closing monsters light up with a white glow.

"Holy cow! Three at once, Kieran. Will his aura cope with that many?"

"Only just, Rhys, but I’m ready to top it up each time he strikes."

With the three monsters lit up like fireflies the fear and uncertainty of an attack from the dark by an unseen foe became confidence that Krol would win as easily has he had all day.

"I can't believe how dangerous Krol looks. Have you made his aura more spectacular on purpose, Kieran?"

"It’s the night making it stand out, Rhys."

"We won't need the Spook ropes. They’re zooming straight at Krol and they won't get a chance to look for anything else."

Kieran didn't answer because the aerial display disappeared for the length of a long blink, then returned just as Krol lunged at the single remaining monster. Talons raked across the back of the obviously dazzled foe and for a few seconds the five companions gawped as a glowing skeleton dissolved to nothing.

"Gods, Kieran! And I thought it looked unreal in the daylight ... Is Krol okay?"

Kieran wasn't sure why Rhys might be wondering but he made a check as a matter of course anyway.

"He’s very pleased with himself, Rhys, and I’ve told him he might as well keep flying till the rest get here."

"More? How many?"

"Another three but this time they won't arrive together."

"Six of them practically at the same time is the biggest concentration yet, Kieran. Do you think they might keep arriving like this all night?"

"If they do we won't get any sleep."

"I’m the only one who can sense them, Mr B, but you’d still get woken anyway if Krol has to take off. You could sleep separate from him I suppose, but then you won't have his wing to keep you warm."

"Can you see any more after these three, Kieran?"

"Lots of them, Woorawa. There always are, but I thought we’d be okay because they all stopped moving when it got dark."

"I think you might have called up these close ones yourself, Kieran, when you used your Opal. That was a lot of power you used and Ranevargar told you they’re attracted by energy disturbances."

"... What would we do without your common sense, Tan. Of course that's why they came."

"Can you tell if topping up Krol's aura started any new ones moving?"

"More good thinking, Tan ... No, there are only the close ones, and that makes sense because refuelling Krol's aura is tiny compared to contacting your family."

Rhys was still concerned.

"It's still a bit scary if something draws them while you’re asleep, Kieran. We’d be okay, but Krol might get hurt if he hasn't had any warning. Can you have automatic monster sensing like you do with our mind shields?"

Kieran laughed.

"Everyone except me is having good ideas. I can use a pattern like the one I worked out for our night watches. Hang on. The next monster’s close enough to light up for Krol."

Krol's challenge sounded and he headed on a collision course for the glowing object arrowing toward him.

"Hey, turn my blink reflex off, Kieran, so I can see them light up. It shouldn't hurt my eyes from that distance."

"Are you sure, Rhys? It’ll look extra bright in the dark."

"Quick! They’re about to meet."

"All right, but I'm keeping mine."

The purple and white lights converged and Kieran, watching through Krol's vision, saw only a moment's worth of dissolving skeleton.

"Holy hell! Why did you let me do that? Now I can't see."

Kieran checked and laughed.

"What did you expect? You’ll adjust in a few minutes."

"I won't be able to see Krol fight the other two. Give me your hand so I can zap myself."

Woorawa yelled.

"No! No! If they’re this close they might sense the power use and head for us instead of Krol."

"A little zap won't matter ... Will it, Kieran?"

"I haven't got a clue, Rhys, but we’d better not take the chance."

"I suppose so. And we’d be in Krol's way when he chased them too. Quick! Connect me back to the blink reflex, Kieran."

That took only an instant. The last two monsters clashed with Krol and dissolved. The triumphant Griffin wheeled in the night sky to return to the companions.

"How’s he going to land in the dark? The ground’s pretty uneven and I remember seeing a few boulders."

"... I just checked and he can see well enough to be safe, Rhys. His eyes are a lot better than ours."

Krol landed without trouble and the five companions settled against his flank again.

"Wow! Feel his heart beating. It's like a giant engine inside. Are there monsters moving anywhere, Kieran?"

"There are lotsots of them, Rhys, but they’re all a long way away and they’re all still. I reckon they won't move again till the morning."

"Krol must be super fit. His heart’s almost back to normal."

"Stop talking, Rhys. I want to go to sleep."

"Whoops! Sorry, Mr B."

Rhys wasn't really very sorry, and seeing all the questions and thoughts pushing for expression, Kieran worked a now familiar mind pattern to quiet everything and put him to sleep. Then he did the same for everyone, including himself.

 

***

Copyright © 2018 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 10
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, I hope that taught Kieran not to throw his power around like that. Good thing they have Krol to protect them.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
41 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Well, I hope that taught Kieran not to throw his power around like that. Good thing they have Krol to protect them.

Yes, quite a shock - and yet another new thing to consider and adapt to.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

i just hope that the journey is not too long as 10kg water per day just for the humans and what about the same for Krol so the water weight alone is staggering for a journey of any significant length.  Reliance on snow melt can also be problematic, there are worse things than "yellow" snow, are the the dead lands desert or are they diseased, the mountain snow may be plentiful but is the water potable?

LOL yes I know there is a "B" word that describes me but someone has to worry about the logistics. 

Excellent chapter again as we all  expect.  Thank you for sharing you wonderful story with us although I am still trying to get my head around Maurice the dragon.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, Dathi said:

i just hope that the journey is not too long as 10kg water per day just for the humans and what about the same for Krol so the water weight alone is staggering for a journey of any significant length.  Reliance on snow melt can also be problematic, there are worse things than "yellow" snow, are the the dead lands desert or are they diseased, the mountain snow may be plentiful but is the water potable?

LOL yes I know there is a "B" word that describes me but someone has to worry about the logistics. 

Excellent chapter again as we all  expect.  Thank you for sharing you wonderful story with us although I am still trying to get my head around Maurice the dragon.

Yes, those water skins are 'precious' as Mr B describes them but either the hosts or, more likely, Ranevargar had an understanding what the journey might entail and provided supplies accordingly. Evidently the water skins hold about 3 litres each so, with 12 strapped on his back,  Krol is carrying most of their water - as well as big pack of other stuff. Even if it totals up to 80 or 90 kgs that's a load he can well manage. And remember, the companions are also carrying their own 3 litre water skin so that's another 15 litres as well. My own hiking experience tells me that Mr B's allowance of 2 litres per day is going to leave them feeling awfully parched. The tally shows they have more but maybe he regards that as a reserve for whatever reason.

Maurice? lol - wait till you meet him then. :)

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

The journey through the deadlands could be more challenging than they expect...A 13 hour day trek could really test their limits.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Excellent chapter, the writing was great and the story just flowed perfectly.  I was honestly expecting more trouble than they have had so far; but I guess that doesn't mean there won't be more before they get to Maurice...

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

Excellent chapter, the writing was great and the story just flowed perfectly.  I was honestly expecting more trouble than they have had so far; but I guess that doesn't mean there won't be more before they get to Maurice...

Thank you, :)

Yes, Kieran's curiously abundant access to power has enhanced Kryl's abilities as a protector way beyond anything the companions expected, and Tan's dazzle idea helped too.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 7/8/2019 at 3:21 AM, Palantir said:

Yes, quite a shock - and yet another new thing to consider and adapt to.

A valuable lesson for the master of adaptation; and his inspirational team of trainers, supporters, and warrior...knights?

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 7/9/2019 at 12:12 PM, Daddydavek said:

The journey through the deadlands could be more challenging than they expect...A 13 hour day trek could really test their limits.

That's for sure - especially when they're not no used to the heavy packs - still, they have got the 'boost' advantage to keep them going (I wonder why Ranevargar cautioned them against using it too much?).

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..