Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 6,687 Words
  • 2,240 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin - 11. Chapter 11

 

Chapter 11.

 

"Let's move to the other side of the pool, Kieran. Those people who just came in are really unfriendly and they’ll probably say something nasty to me."

Kieran swivelled in the direction of Woorawa's look and felt his hackles rise. What was Geston doing here? The pool wasn't one of his haunts.

"No way. We’re not scared of him. He's useless. You watch. He'll go away as soon as he sees us ... and if he doesn't I'll make him."

Woorawa looked uncomfortable.

"Leave him alone, please. Uncle Burrimul says I should work out these problems for myself."

Kieran's hackles rose even further.

"What problems, Woorawa? We all thought everything was going really well for you."

"It is, but there's always someone who doesn't like my people and this group say things every time they see me."

Kieran wanted to know more but Geston was now stopped at the edge of the pool and looking at them.

"What's your wild friend doing in the pool? Doesn't he know he spoils it for everyone else?"

Kieran was so shocked he didn't say anything. Not because of the aggression and nasty nature of the comment, that was his normal pattern for putting people down, but because for weeks now he'd been no trouble at all and this sudden reversion somehow felt like a direct challenge.

Kieran checked to see if Woorawa was okay. His expression was unreadable but his body was stiff, upright and facing directly at Geston. Kieran gathered himself, then walked towards Geston.

"You’re pig ignorant, Geston! With that foul mouth you’re the one who'd spoil the pool. Get out of here."

Surprise compounded when Geston's smirk indicated he was pleased to get this strong reaction. He’d wanted Kieran to get angry? That didn't make sense after what had happened last time. Well, if he thought he was going to win some sort of domination game he was in for a shock. Kieran smoothed his internal hackles and gave a very deliberate snort of laughter.

"You’re a fool! Go away and stop wasting our time."

To reinforce this he projected a short touch of the Medusa look at Geston and the four cronies with him. The four cronies reacted so strongly Kieran started to wonder if they were putting on an act. No, their horrified expressions were quickly lost to view as without exception they turned and ran. Kieran forgot about them though because Geston was still there, still smirking.

Weird!

Kieran reached again with a little more strength but again nothing happened. How could Gaston have this resistance? It wasn't there on that first encounter. Kieran pushed harder, looking for a wall similar to the one he could sense in the practice battles with Woorawa, but there wasn't one. Geston looked to where his mates were disappearing through the pool entrance and then back at Kieran.

"I don't know what your freak tricks are but they won't work on everyone. You'd better watch it from now on."

He left then and Kieran and Woorawa watched silently till he was gone.

"You shouldn't have zapped them, Kieran. They'll probably be after me even more now."

"They’re not after you, Woorawa. Geston made it look that way but it was me he really wanted. They never come into the pool so that means it was deliberate and that's not his usual pattern."

"Why did you leave him out of the zap? So you could say something to him?"

"That's even weirder. I did zap him. It just didn't work, which I don't understand because the other time it hit him so hard he flaked out."

"He must have built up resistance then."

"No, it wasn't like that. I tried three different levels and he didn't even notice. I couldn't even feel a wall like yours."

The battles between Kieran and Woorawa at practice for the last few days had been interesting every time, and the wall they both recognised was settling into place more easily every day. Kieran couldn't get through it without help from the opal but was now better at control and had developed two ways that Woorawa couldn't resist. The best was to focus firmly and kind of drill through. The other was to build enough pressure to make the whole wall give way. The second was very effective but needed instantaneous reining in to stop Woorawa going unconscious.

"No wall but you couldn't do anything? That doesn't make sense."

"I know and he left before I could try something else. I wonder if Burrimul has any ideas."

"We'll ring him when we finish our swim."

"Woorawa, what sort of things has Geston been saying?"

"Geston? Is that his name? I've only seen him once before, and today was the first time he said anything. It’s the others who are always rude."

***

Everyone laughed.

"You had a beef burger and a chicken schnitzel for lunch again, Woorawa. That's like two full meals, so are you going to do that every day?"

"Why not? I'm a growing boy and they’re delicious."

Everyone laughed and watched Tan light a candle on their lounge room bench.

"You guts! You'll turn into a Fatty Boomba."

"What? I've never heard of that, Rhys."

Kieran gave Rhys a whack on the arm.

"Don't take any notice of him, Woorawa. He just means you'll get fat from eating too much."

"Me? No I won't. If I keep practising till I can swim thirty laps then I won't get fat."

"Don't you mean forty?"

Rhys had been in a distance mood at the pool yesterday and totally amazed Woorawa and Tan by swimming forty non-stop laps.

"I only managed three without a rest so ten times that’s good enough for my first target. Mr B thinks I can do it in three weeks."

"Three weeks will be hard work, Woorawa. Are you any good at running? That'll help you build up endurance."

"I don't know, Rhys. I haven't really done any running because I had to have someone next to me to stop me crashing into anything."

There was silence at this reminder of yet another everyday thing that had been a problem.

"Sorry! I wasn't thinking. Come for a few runs with me if you like. It’ll help you get that first target."

"Really? That would be great, Rhys. When will we start?"

"Um ... I don't know. It’s going to be hard to fit in. How about just before tea?"

"After swimming? I'll already be worn out."

"We’ll only go for a kilometre. That’ll be enough, and we'll fit it in while Tan does the cooking. Kieran will come with us too."

Kieran nodded and looked to Tan.

"How about you, Tan? Do you ever do any running?"

"No thanks. Swimming every night will be plenty for me."

Everybody was surprised.

"Every night? Yesterday you said three."

"I know, but Mr B wants me to target for ten laps, so I changed my mind."

Rhys got really excited.

"Tan, you couldn't even swim a few days ago. That's terrific! Give yourself more than three weeks though. Mr B must be pushing Woorawa because he’s fitter than you."

"I know. I'm not trying for any special time limit but I'll keep going till I make it. Ten laps is half a kilometre and that's plenty for me."

He grinned at Woorawa.

"Woorawa’s a cheat because he's naturally fit. Look at his muscles. He should be a photography model."

Woorawa stared at him in disbelief.

"Muscles? Tan, what are you talking about. Rhys is the one with muscles."

"I know, but his are too big. You've got nursery rhyme muscles ... Not too big, not too small, just right."

Kieran couldn't resist.

"Yeah, he's a musclebound gorilla. That's why I made him act like one the other day ... Except he wasn't acting.

Rhys put on a puzzled look.

"Which do you prefer Kieran, cremation or burial?"

"What?"

"You know. What am I going to do with the dead bodies when I finish with you? ... And you’re first, Tan, because you started this."

Tan tried to escape but he was too slow and a few seconds later was begging for mercy, then for help, and then for relief from the bodies wrestling on top of him. The happy scuffle reduced to a contest between Rhys and Woorawa, and Kieran and Tan watched Woorawa refuse to give in despite Rhys's greater strength. Wow! He really was stubborn, and Kieran and Tan exchanged glances of amazement at this unexpected show of willpower. Kieran fleetingly wondered if this might be part of the reason for his strong mind barrier. Rhys wouldn't stop either, that was a given. He turned to Tan.

"Get a bucket of water. That'll stop them."

They did stop, and when Rhys pointed at Tan and said, "don't you dare", Woorawa laughed and relaxed.

"Let's save our energy for the run, Rhys. You mightn't need it, but I know I will."

"You definitely will because I’ll be relaxing in my room while Kieran slaves drives you with maths."

"Hey, Rhys, why don't you join in? It’ll be good revision for you."

Rhys’s surprise turned to instant agreement.

"Is that okay, Woorawa? I don't want to hog any of your time."

Woorawa looked at him as if he was crazy and pointed at the folder waiting on the table.

"There’s tons of notepaper there for both of us. Do you want one of my pens?"

It was interesting coaching two people at the same time and Kieran was intrigued with their different approaches. Woorawa didn't know as much, but he learnt so easily it wouldn't be long before he didn't need coaching. Rhys knew this basic equation stuff but he listened carefully and battled with every example, trying to finish before Woorawa.

They finished early to fit the run in before tea and Kieran went with them because he wanted to share the experience. By the time they got home Rhys was declaring Woorawa a natural and planning a timetable for regular runs.

"Four times a week’s too much, Rhys. I think you should make it three at max and limit each run to twenty minutes. Woorawa's got too many other things he has to do and he needs to concentrate most on College stuff ... at least till he catches up a bit."

Woorawa reluctantly agreed.

"Kieran’s right, Rhys. Time’s getting a bit scary with all my work and the extras for the professor. I've got a big talk in the library in two weeks and he’s organised special sessions with all his classes too."

"All of them? How many’s that?"

"I don't know, but it's once a week except if I've got exams or a big project to hand in."

"Wow! He’s sure making you earn your scholarship."

"It was Uncle Burrimul's idea more than his. Uncle says it's fair because the professor helped me so much and he’s right."

"Yeah, I guess ... What's this about projects, Woorawa? You don’t really have them till next year."

"I talked with my IT lecturer and he's going to let me have a try at some of the Certificate Four projects in the last half of the semester as long as I can show him I've learnt enough."

"You can’t be serious. You'll go crazy with all this work."

"No I won't, Rhys. It's what I want to do and it's going to be great."

"I mean everything. Not just IT."

"No I won't. I can learn things easily now."

Tan’s call from the kitchen that tea would be ready in ten minutes meant a rush to the bathroom for very quick showers.

***

"He so happy and excited about College and learning everything, Kieran. Is he going to see any eye specialists now he's here in Melbourne?"

"In a couple of weeks. He doesn't have to but the professor organised it anyway."

Rhys nodded his approval."

"Hey! We’ll have to make sure he knows how to use the trams and the trains. If Tan’s tied up with classes he won't be able to take him."

"Good idea. We'll go on the tram tomorrow."

"In the morning? We'll have to get up earlier."

"So? We'll just set the alarm to give us an extra half an hour."

Rhys groaned. He liked his sleep.

"Let's come home on the tram instead. Then we won't have to get up early."

"Not tomorrow. It's Mr B's day for coaching and Woorawa won't cut that short ... And anyway it's our turn to cook."

"I suppose. And if we have tea later that’ll mess up the whole evening. I better go and tell them."

As Rhys left Kieran gave his opal a squeeze and put the idea into Woorawa's head that he'd like to try the tram tomorrow. Yes, it was his opal now. He took his hand out of his pocket, opened it and idly started a glowing cycle of changing colours. Rhys would be back in a few minutes with his special smile, calling him a trickster as an excuse to wrestle him onto the bed. Yes ... Right about now. Kieran put the opal in his pocket as the door started opening.

"Cheat!"

***

Kieran watched Mr B powering down the pool and nudged Rhys's arm.

"Look how fast he is. He’s like a dolphin or something."

"Yeah! He makes it look so easy, and you're the same ... We reckon it must be because you learned everything from him. Woorawa says you've both got secret webbed hands and feet and they grow out as soon as you're in the water. Hey, what are those idiots doing?"

Idiots? Kieran followed the direction of Rhys's glance to the pool entrance where four of Geston's cronies were gathered. They'd been giving Woorawa a hard time for the last few days with put down looks and blatantly obvious but unheard comments between them and Kieran wanted to front them but didn't because Woorawa insisted he was going to work it out in his own way.

"If they come in here they won't know what's hit them."

"They've seen you, Kieran. They'll run now but they looked like they meant to do something."

There was an atmosphere about them. Maybe they'd come looking for Woorawa? Kieran glanced to where Woorawa was sitting on the side bench, unaware of what was happening and tying his runners, then back to the entrance where all four were now in a rush to leave. Rhys laughed.

"I knew they wouldn't come in when they saw you."

"I don't think they meant to, Rhys. It looked like they were checking up on us. I wonder if they saw Tan waiting in the car?"

"Could be. We'll ask him."

Woorawa was approaching and Kieran turned to wave goodbye to Mr B but he was swimming in the other direction.

"What are you cooking for tea tonight, Kieran?"

Rhys answered.

"Witchetty grubs in garlic, and fried lizard legs."

Woorawa shoved him with his elbow.

"As if. You wouldn't even know what a witchetty grub looked like, Rhys."

"Would so. There's a picture of them on the packet."

"What packet?"

"The packet from the supermarket. They’re frozen ones we found the other day. Tan told us to get them for you while we eat our veal parmigianas."

"Parmigianas? Yum! I hope you got two each."

"Yeah! ... Six of them and a big packet of grubs. We’re spoiling you because ... Hey! Where is Tan? He's had plenty of time to bring the car over."

Rhys was right. Tan had left almost ten minutes ago and collecting his car would only take half that. Oh no! Kieran squeezed his opal, reached, and turned to Rhys and Woorawa.

"Quick. Something’s wrong. Tan’s upset and he’s not with the car."

Kieran broke into a run and Rhys and Woorawa chased after him.

"I bet it's those idiots."

Kieran agreed with Rhys but didn't answer because he was focused on running and pinpointing Tan's position. They reached the car but kept going.

"He's in the scrub."

The scrub was a large section at the back of the car park which had been left with natural vegetation to help local wildlife and give a bushy atmosphere. Kieran led the way in, past a big wattle tree and then some low shrubs. Tan was kneeling on the ground, apparently searching for something. He looked round, startled, then stood up.

"They stole the car keys and threw them in here."

"Are you all right? Did they hurt you?"

"No. I'm upset because it was such a shock. They followed me from near the pool entrance but I just thought they were going to their car. I was opening the door when three of them grabbed me and the other one took the keys. We have to find them, Kieran. They’re my house key and locker key and we can't use the car till I get the spare from home."

Kieran gave Tan a quick hug.

"Don't worry about the keys, Tan. Finding them’s easy ... They are ... That way."

Tan looked in the direction Keiran was pointing and realisation dawned.

"Oh, sorry ... I'm all flustered and I didn't think properly. I thought they were in here because that's what they said."

Rhys gave him a hug now.

"Gods, Tan. Don't say sorry. It's not your fault. What happened? Did they just take the keys and that was all?"

"I couldn't see what was happening because three of them were holding me while the other one went somewhere behind me. They said nasty stuff that I had to get out of our house and not live with freaks and weirdos like Kieran and Woorawa. Then the fourth one came back and said the keys were in the scrub and they let me go ... Are the keys very far away?"

"We'll get them now, so stop worrying."

Kieran decided on some dramatics to distract Tan and, pinpointing the keys with his mind, formed a brightly glowing blue symbol.

"Follow that arrow!"

The dramatics worked because Tan visibly relaxed and the hint of a smile appeared.

"You're showing off for me, Kieran and I know why. Thanks, but I'm all right now."

"Come on. We'll get the keys and go home."

As they headed off briskly Rhys got mad.

"They’re maggots, Kieran. They did that on purpose so we'd waste ages and ages searching in the scrub. Let's front them after we get the keys. You can find them for us."

Kieran stopped in his tracks and recalled the images of the four they'd seen at the pool entrance, redirected the arrow and concentrated.

"There on the third floor of the TAFE building and they’re watching us."

"You can tell that?"

"Sort of. Rhys and I saw them at the pool, Woorawa, so they’re fresh in my mind."

"If they’re watching that means they can see the blue arrow. You've got it really bright, Kieran. Aren't you worried they'll talk about it?"

They'd decided at one of their discussions that it was important to keep Kieran's abilites secret because if people found out, their lives would become even crazier. Kieran was pleased because this comment meant Tan must be really recovered from being upset.

"Good thinking. Hang on. It means I'll have to break one of our rules but I'm going to fix this."

Kieran closed his eyes and concentrated! This was easier than he'd expected and a moment later he opened his eyes and grinned at the looks he was getting.

"I've sent them back to the residences so they don't watch us any more, and they’ve forgotten about the keys and they think the arrow was a laser light. Come on we’ll get the keys now."

Woorawa didn't move.

"You shouldn't have broken any rules, Kieran. Which one was it?"

Kieran shook his head and started walking.

"I was going to make them friendly to you but that's one of the big changes we talked about so I just made them forget instead."

"Wow! Forgetting’s new isn't it? You never done it with us”

Woorawa looked at Rhys and Tan then back again ... “Have you?"

"We've never thought of trying it but I kind of know how from fixing all the stuff we forgot ourselves."

"Will they remember if someone talks to them about it? That's how we got our memories back."

"Who's going to talk to them, Rhys?"

"Geston. He's probably the one who put them up to it."

"I didn't think of that but they won't remember. I'm sure of that ... Damn!"

Kieran sat on the bench they’d just approached and started taking off his shoes and socks. Rhys spoke but the others were just as puzzled.

"What are you doing?"

"Getting the keys. I turned the arrow off so any other people wouldn't see it but they’re in the fountain. See? Out near the pillar."

Sure enough the keys were there, glinting in the shallow water.

"They are a pack of maggots! We’d never have found them there."

Kieran pulled the legs of his jeans up then yelled when he put his foot in.

"It's freezing! I should have made them do this for us."

After a few moments of complaining about the cold Kieran was out again and drying his feet with his socks while Tan examined the keys. There was nothing to worry about though, as water couldn't affect them, and soon they were on their way home.

***

When Tan and Woorawa finished cleaning up after the meal the group gathered in the lounge for their nightly practice session with Kieran. Woorawa was the most insistent and would have liked more time but had to be happy with the half hour Kieran decided was what they could sensibly manage. When Tan started to light one of his candles Woorawa stopped him.

"See if Kieran can do it, Tan."

Tan paused and then caught on.

"... Without matches?"

Rhys liked it.

"Hey, great idea, Woorawa. Like that spontaneous combustion they have in horror stories, or the wizard in Myst."

"What's Myst?"

Rhys looked horrified.

"You haven't heard of Myst? You must have. It's the best book ever written and they even made it into a movie."

"Oh yeah! Some of my friends were talking about it last year. The wizards say latin words and fire zaps off the end of their wands."

Rhys grimaced as if in agony.

"Not those movies. In Myst the wizard uses his big walking staff."

"Same thing, just bigger ... Do you really think you can light a candle, Kieran? It's different to everything else you can do."

Kieran looked at the candle, visualised a flame flaring up from the wick, then made it happen.

"Wow! Just like that. You didn't even have to concentrate."

Tan picked up the candle and laughed.

"What's funny, Tan. I think that's amazing."

Tan lowered the palm of his free hand carefully onto the flame and grinned at the collective gasp when he held it there.

"It's not real, Woorawa. It didn't flutter in the air when I moved it. It's the normal glow except it’s matched up to the candle."

Woorawa pushed his hand in.

"I can't feel a thing. It looks real but there’s no heat. Try it, Rhys."

Rhys moved close then yelped, jerked his hand away in shock and shook it in agony.

"Are you mad? That hurts like blazes."

When he brought his hand up to examine the damage his jaw dropped and he gave a cautious rub.

"It's not even burnt? ... Did you make me imagine it?"

Kieran was feeling guilty because of Rhys's powerful reaction.

"Sorry. I didn't mean for it to hurt so much. I was playing a trick but I overdid it. I knew it wasn't real and when Tan put his hand over it I realised I could make you think it was. I'm annoyed with myself now because that’s the second time today I rushed with this stuff."

"Second? What was the first? Those four with the car keys?"

"Yes. I'd part way made them like Woorawa before I realised it was one of the big changes we talked about and I had to reverse what I'd done. I need a new rule about not doing stuff till I’ve thought about it and I know I can control it properly."

Rhys was still rubbing his hand while he listened.

"It sure felt real. Can you do it so it just feels warm?"

"Course I can. Hold both your hands out and tell me when it starts."

This was totally fascinating and everyone watched eagerly and, instead of the impulsive idea of heat from a candle flare, Kieran made Rhys feel the tiniest amount of warmth in his other hand.

"Can you feel it?"

"No!"

Slowly and carefully, Kieran increased the strength of the idea in Rhys's mind till he suddenly shifted his focus.

"Wow, you did it in my other hand. It's warm."

"Tell me when it gets uncomfortable."

Rhys looked back and forth between Kieran and his hand while the sensation built.

"Whoa! Back a bit ... That's enough. Weird. It's like the candle’s almost touching me without it being there. Can you move it to my thumb?"

That was instant because Kieran now knew exactly how to control what he was doing. Rhys experimented by moving the pointer finger of his other hand close.

"That is so bizarre, Kieran. My thumb tells me there’s a flame while my finger tells me there’s not. Can you make them both feel it so my mind stops doing somersaults?"

That was easy till Rhys started swapping fingers. Okay. That was an unspoken challenge and Kieran tried to keep up but each swap meant sending a message to the new finger and Rhys was speeding up.

"Ha! Gotcha! I can tell it's not real because of the delay ... Do it for Tan and Woorawa. They have to feel this."

Tan put his hand out but after a moment of careful calibration Kieran made his left ear feel warm. Tan jerked sideways out of pure reflex at the sensation then steadied and put his hand up.

"Not near my ear, Kieran. It makes me nervous."

"Sorry. I didn't think again. Put your hand out and we’ll do it that way."

Woorawa was far more adventurous. He made Kieran move the feeling all over and then he tried Rhys's finger swapping challenge.

"Can you get faster so the flame doesn't feel like a match lighting up each time?"

"I can't tell the future, Woorawa. I'd have to know which finger you were going to move before you even moved it."

"I suppose ... What if you made all of them think the flame was there? Would that work?"

Kieran laughed.

"Of course it would. I got stuck in one pattern of thinking. Try it now."

"How did you know you could make us feel heat? You've never done anything like it before."

"Yes I have, Woorawa. Remember when Rhys thought he was a monkey and I made him have a banana taste in his mouth, and when Tan could smell rotten eggs in the fridge? It clicked in my mind that feeling heat was just another sensation."

"Really? Well that means you should be able to do hearing and sight too. They're all senses."

Kieran started to think about that when Rhys added another idea.

"So’s touch and you've definitely never tried that on us."

Woorawa laughed.

"I hope not. He could tickle us and we wouldn't be able to stop him."

He turned to Kieran.

"It is a nerve thing though, Kieran. Just like the heat, so you should be able to. Have a go at it ... But no tickles."

It was like the heat and Kieran knew straight away that he could work it, but Woorawa's suggestion about sight and hearing as well was intriguing.

"In a minute, Woorawa. What you said’s got me thinking. The touch and sound feels right but something tells me that vision’s too hard."

"You know before you even try?"

"Sort of. It's almost the same as giving you a heat sensation."

"Try them both so you know for sure then do the vision later."

"Okay. Rhys, you're the first guinea pig."

Rhys grimaced with fake nervousness.

"Typical. What are you going to do? Give me a gut punch?"

"Hey! Good idea. I didn't think of that ... Are you ready?"

Kieran sensed Rhys steel himself just in case but there was no way he'd try anything so forceful till he knew exactly what he was doing. With a minor variation of the heat technique he sent the sensation of a gentle touch to Rhys's ear. There was no reaction so he tried again with a smidgen more strength.

Rhys grabbed his ear and looked at Tan who was sending next to him.

"Wow. You tickled my ear didn't you? I thought it was Tan but his hands didn't move."

"It was just a touch, Rhys, not a tickle, but I suppose it would feel the same."

"It feels weird. Do it again but keep on touching."

Kieran did and Rhys got a funny look.

"That feels nice ... Touch me somewhere else."

Woorawa and Tan exchanged knowing glances.

"No rude stuff, Kieran. You’ve got all night to experiment with that."

"All night? What's that supposed to mean?"

"We've seen Rhys coming out of your room for the last two mornings so we know he stays there."

After a moment's silence, attention all went to Rhys's face which had turned bright red. Kieran wanted to give him a comforting hug but he couldn't because Woorawa had beaten him to it. Tan joined the company with a friendly hand on Rhys's shoulder.

"It doesn't have to be a secret, Rhys. Woorawa and I are really pleased and we’re going to get you a double bed so you’re more comfy."

"Yep, and Tan’s organised for someone else to rent your room in another two weeks, so you'll need it when you move in with Kieran."

"What? ... Where will I study? There's ..."

The penny dropped and Rhys delivered a few friendly head bops while he dragged Woorawa round the room in a headlock.

Kieran watched happily while Rhys worked the embarrassment out of his system, then when Tan told them to sit down so they could get on with the practice Rhys asked him how long he'd known.

"Woorawa told me after we got our memories back. He knew from when you were at Alice Springs."

Rhys looked at Woorawa and shook his head.

"You couldn't. We weren't even ... Together."

"Uncle Burrimul knew from watching you at the Valley of Eagles. He had a big talk with me about it because it might make life complicated but I didn't care because I loved it."

Kieran thought that was a curious thing to say but didn't get a chance to ask about it because Tan wanted to get on with the practice.

"Can you do the touch thing to all of us at the same time, Kieran? You should be able to."

Kieran's mind clicked into gear and they experimented with both touch and sound till Tan wanted to know if he could make it real.

"What sort of real? We can hear it, Tan, so it must be."

"No it's not, Rhys. You heard an echo when Kieran called out but it was silent for Woorawa and me so that means it's in your mind."

"That's how it works, Tan. It's real to our minds but not real real."

"What about the glow then? We know that's real because we took photos of it. If Kieran can make real light he might be able to make real sound."

Everyone looked at Kieran for his thoughts but he didn't answer. These practice sessions were unreal in a different way with all the unexpected things that kept turning up. Tan was right about the glow so there might be something in his argument.

"Kieran?"

"I'm thinking, Rhys. I know these sounds aren't real because I don't hear any of them. I just tell you what you're hearing and you do. I wouldn't have a clue about real sounds. That has to be totally different."

"You use your opal to help with the glow sometimes, Kieran. That might be what's different. Remember when we took it out of its clay shell and the glow started as soon as you touched it?"

Woorawa got excited at this.

"That's clever, Tan. The glow is real and the opal is definitely connected to it."

Rhys wasn't so sure.

"It seems to be connected with everything if you ask me. Kieran uses it whenever he needs a boost."

"I suppose ..." Woorawa turned to Kieran. "Have you been using it to help with the sound and touch, Kieran? You were concentrating really hard a few times."

Kieran had to think back before he answered.

"I might have, but not on purpose. It's there all the time and I'm so used to it I think I use it without even realising."

"All the time? Can you switch it off then, like when you want to concentrate on College work or relax or go to sleep?"

"No way, Woorawa. It feels like it should be there."

"Have a try. You should practice everything."

Kieran shook his head then had a rethink. Learning more about the opal must be a good thing but turning it off was something he'd never even contemplated. He started to push at the connected feeling and it was easy, the same as getting help but in reverse. As the connection steadily diminished he grew more and more uneasy and at the very point of losing the opal he reversed everything and brought it fully back.

"I'm never doing that again, Woorawa. I got scared I mightn’t be able to reconnect."

"Scared?"

"Not frightened scared, more like worried scared. The more I turned it off the more it felt like I shouldn't."

"Wow! Has it ever made you feel bad before?"

"It wasn't the opal making me nervous. It was my own feeling. I can tell."

"I think that means it's important for you not to ever turn it off. We know you don't need it for everything because you could do the Medusa look and the animals before you even knew it existed. It's the glow that's different to everything else, so see if you can make do by yourself. You can tell when the opal’s helping can't you?"

Thinking hard about what he was doing Kieran restarted the glow around the candle wick and had quite a surprise.

"Hey, I do use the opal. It's automatic. Hang on while I work out how to keep it separate."

Kieran held the little candle flame in his mind and reached to stop the flow of energy from the opal. A flush of sudden warmth was the sole warning that something wasn't right ... He blinked his eyes open to the realisation that Rhys was massaging his temples.

"What happened? Did I fall asleep?"

"It wasn't sleep, Kieran. Just a mini flake out. It was like the other times when you overloaded yourself, so we knew my magic hands would bring you back. Woorawa thinks that making the glow without the candle must be too hard."

Kieran grabbed Rhys's hands and held them in place.

"Keep massaging, Rhys. Your hands are still working."

"Really? Or do you just like getting a massage?"

Kieran smiled.

"Both, Woorawa. If the first time I've noticed it but I can tell that something’s still happening. It's nearly gone now but I can feel it waking me up."

"Another new thing. We can hardly keep up. Can you remember what you did?"

Kieran thought back then grunted with self annoyance.

"Yeah, I'm an idiot! I rushed everything without thinking again. I should have gradually stopped the opal from helping me instead of all at once ... You can take your hands away, Rhys, because they’re just a massage now ... I'll have another go."

Rhys let go but looked really concerned.

"Straight away, Kieran? You've just woken up."

"I know what to do this time, and I won't flake out because your hands have made me feel better than I was before, so don't worry. Pass the candle over please, Tan. Distance matters for the glow so holding it should help."

Tan did that and Woorawa interrupted.

"It might be even easier without the candle."

Kieran thought about the candle he was now holding and shook his head.

"Making a candle glow feels more natural than a glow in midair, Woorawa. I'll turn it on the way I always do and then start a change."

A bright glow surrounded the candle wick in the same effortless way it always did and Kieran held it for a few seconds before making a tiny change to the help coming from the opal. Nothing seemed to happen so he made a slightly bigger change. Yes, the glow had dimmed perceptibly.

"Hey! It flickered. Did you do that, Kieran?"

"Yeah. I need to practise a bit till I've got the control set in my mind. Watch this."

The glow brightened and dimmed with various patterns of experimental control and Woorawa wanted to know if it was hard to do.

"It's easy because the opal does all the work. It's exactly what I've been doing ever since the first glow. I just never thought of taking it lower than the basic level."

"It can't be easy if it overloaded you so much you flaked out. That doesn't make sense."

"Yes it does, Tan. The overload happened when I didn't use the opal at all. That's the big step I'm going to have a try at now."

"Make the glow really dim, Kieran. It should be easier for you then."

That was good thinking by Tan and Kieran turned the glow into a tiny point of soft light before stopping the opal help. The light disappeared so, consciously holding the aid from the opal at bay, he willed it back. Nothing happened so he tried harder, then harder again. There was a momentary flicker which was really exciting because it told him he could do this. Whoo! So close! One more effort.

Holding the tiny point of light aglow for five or six seconds was all he could manage before collapsing against the back of the sofa.

Why were the others looking at him like that?

"What?"

"Kieran, you’re drenched with sweat. I thought we were going to lose you again."

"Did you see it? I couldn't hold it but that light was all me."

"I stopped looking when you groaned. Are you sure you're all right?"

"Did I groan? Well, I'm not surprised. That was harder than fighting Woorawa's barriers without the opal. I can't believe that tiny light took so much effort. I'll have another go at it tomorrow to see if I can last any longer. Wow! This is unreal."

Kieran took in the curious looks he was getting.

"Now what?"

"You're a bit overexcited aren't you? A little bit of light’s nothing like talking to animals or putting thoughts into our minds."

"Yes it is, Rhys. It doesn't seem like much because I’ve made it so many times we’ve got used to it, but it's a zillion times harder than anything else really, and without the opal we wouldn't even have found out about it. Think about it. Everything else is in your mind. What do you reckon, Woorawa?"

"I'll ask Uncle Burrimul, but if making a tiny tiny light sends you unconscious it has to be different. I’ll go and ring him now because you've done enough practice for one day."

Everyone agreed and with a great deal to think about, particularly Kieran, they dispersed to their other evening activities.

***

Copyright © 2018 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Making a visible arrow that hangs in the air that others can see is easy, but making a little candle glow is difficult.  I am having a hard time understanding the optics, or perhaps Kieran is making it harder than it is???

 

Geston seems like a bit of trouble perhaps under the influence of the other dimension.

 

Kieran and Rhys having all night and soon to be sharing a room...it's about time!

 

More please!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Daddydavek said:

Making a visible arrow that hangs in the air that others can see is easy, but making a little candle glow is difficult.  I am having a hard time understanding the optics, or perhaps Kieran is making it harder than it is???

 

Geston seems like a bit of trouble perhaps under the influence of the other dimension.

 

Kieran and Rhys having all night and soon to be sharing a room...it's about time!

 

More please!

Hmm! Sorry DD. That means my presentation is a bit lacking - basically they've discovered that when Keiran uses the opal he can do many things easily - but without it the same things are difficult

  • Like 4
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Palantir said:

Hmm! Sorry DD. That means my presentation is a bit lacking - basically they've discovered that when Keiran uses the opal he can do many things easily - but without it the same things are difficult

I understood that the opal turbo charges Kieran's basic abilities.  I just got the impression the candle flame seemed harder. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
56 minutes ago, Daddydavek said:

I understood that the opal turbo charges Kieran's basic abilities.  I just got the impression the candle flame seemed harder. 

Yep! - Without the opal for help, the candle flame (a glow around the wick rather than an actual flame) sent him unconscious.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Have to wonder if Geston is under the control or at least influence from one of the triads.  Great read and flow, keep up the good work.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
55 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

Have to wonder if Geston is under the control or at least influence from one of the triads.  Great read and flow, keep up the good work.

 

I think it's very likely. He was under their control in the past

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, centexhairysub said:

Have to wonder if Geston is under the control or at least influence from one of the triads.  Great read and flow, keep up the good work.

Yes,  @centexhairysub   and @Geoffrey257 , Lord Maynor did explain to High King Aglaron earlier on that he was influencing a human to make Keryth's life more challenging.

Edited by Palantir
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Awesome chapter again, dumb bigots that sounds about normal.  Although Geston needs to be kissed by a shovel several time really, really hard.  Practice of the abilities without the Opal, while initially exhausting, will make the practitioner stronger in the overall scheme of things.  Thank you for sharing this chapter.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Some disturbing developments with Gestin...I hope he hasn't been given some special artifact to damage Kieran's progress.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Dathi said:

Awesome chapter again, dumb bigots that sounds about normal.  Although Geston needs to be kissed by a shovel several time really, really hard.  Practice of the abilities without the Opal, while initially exhausting, will make the practitioner stronger in the overall scheme of things.  Thank you for sharing this chapter.

Hmm! In general, yes for the practice, but there is something the friends don't know - we'll find out soon. 😕

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Some disturbing developments with Gestin...I hope he hasn't been given some special artifact to damage Kieran's progress.

Lord Maynor has made a mistake - well, one among many - but as I've said above - we'll find out soon.  :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

as always, a great, thought provoking read, Palantir. we all like to be special, though will be interesting to see if Kieran's abilities are eventually tied to his orientation! the support of the assumable straight friends in their group is as it should be, but still great to read.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Hmmm. Geston is a mystery. With effortless and undetectable resistance to the Medusa look, he would not seem human. Or has he somehow been recruited by the elves and given his resistance? Either way, he has suddenly become a menacing figure.

 

And his henchmen are pigs for what they did to Tan.

 

I love the scenes where the guys demonstrate their camaraderie; and Kieran's magic increases  the fun.

 

Well, Kieran and Rhys don't have to worry about coming out, as Burrimul had them pegged a while ago.  So, Woorawa already knew this while prancing around in nothing but a Speedo (how do the First Australians feel about homosexuality?). Clearly, Tan and Woorawa have no problem with their gay housemates.

 

The last mystery: Why does a tiny light take so much effort when Kieran uses his native ability instead of relying on the opal?  Since elves in general don't seem to rely on opals, what is the opal actually doing for Kierran? If the elves "sealed" his powers, does the opal act to pierce the sealant, as it were, or does it amplify what power has not been sealed? Or am I completely off base? 🤗

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, travlbug said:

Hmmm. Geston is a mystery. With effortless and undetectable resistance to the Medusa look, he would not seem human. Or has he somehow been recruited by the elves and given his resistance? Either way, he has suddenly become a menacing figure.

 

And his henchmen are pigs for what they did to Tan.

 

I love the scenes where the guys demonstrate their camaraderie; and Kieran's magic increases  the fun.

 

Well, Kieran and Rhys don't have to worry about coming out, as Burrimul had them pegged a while ago.  So, Woorawa already knew this while prancing around in nothing but a Speedo (how do the First Australians feel about homosexuality?). Clearly, Tan and Woorawa have no problem with their gay housemates.

 

The last mystery: Why does a tiny light take so much effort when Kieran uses his native ability instead of relying on the opal?  Since elves in general don't seem to rely on opals, what is the opal actually doing for Kierran? If the elves "sealed" his powers, does the opal act to pierce the sealant, as it were, or does it amplify what power has not been sealed? Or am I completely off base? 🤗

So much feedback.  Wonderful! :thankyou:

Geston - more to come. :read:

 

First Australian's and homosexuality - this is a work of fiction where I have given Burrimul, a person of distinction, an enlightened perspective.

In real life I wouldn't presume to speak on how such a difficult topic is seen by such a diverse and intricate culture. On the radio I did hear a representative of 'Black Rainbow'  (Link provided below) speak, as a member of a minority within a minority, with a strength which touched my heart.

http://www.blackrainbow.org.au/

 

The last mystery: The tiny light bit - more to come :read:

The Opal and Keiran - a great mystery indeed - a puzzle beyond great Elven Loremasters let alone Keiran himself. (lol I haven't yet finished the story so I don't quite know myself)

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..