Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 3,207 Words
  • 3,560 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin - 7. Chapter 7

Chapter 7.

Kieran opened his eyes, immediately closed them because the light made his head hurt, then when there was no let up with the ache, opened them again. Not another migraine. What was the time? 10:30 AM. WHAT? How could that be? He never slept in.

Kieran sat up and put his hands to his temples. Rotten headaches, and the doctors were no help. 10:30? Tan would be wondering where he was.

Twenty minutes later and feeling quite a bit better Kieran knocked on the door of Tan’s room. It opened straight away.

"Morning, Kieran. I was about to come around and see what the hold up was."

"Sorry, I must've had a bad migraine last night because I slept in and my head was all wonky. What do you want me to carry?"

"Anything you feel like. It's all ready."

Kieran grabbed a big cardboard box, Tan took a suitcase, and before long the car was loaded and ready for the first trip to their share house.

"Buckle up, Kieran. I don't feel comfortable if everyone hasn't got their seat belt on."

"Sorry, I don't know why I forgot. I've been feeling dopey ever since I woke up."

Tan laughed.

"Dopey? I doubt that." He pointed to the clock on the car radio. "It's 11:16. How long do you reckon it'll take to get there?"

"Four minutes! But we have to get the keys from the estate agent first."

The agent had little to say, except that if anything broke down they should contact him straight away and that he hoped they'd enjoy the house, and it wasn't long before Kieran was unlocking the front door for the first time.

Everything was just as he remembered and, after a quick tour with Tan, the car was unloaded and they set off for College to get all Kieran's belongings. That was a bit awkward because he didn't have everything packed. He’d meant to do that last night but the migraine must have put him in bed really early. Weird! He remembered turning some music on after tea and nothing else. He'd been fairly organised though, and a final cleanup and loading everything into Tan’s hatchback didn't take long.

"Hey, Tan, I saw you looking in the kitchen drawers. Was there anything there?"

"Not a thing. We'll have to get cutlery and cooking stuff this afternoon."

"Let's grab a roll or pie for lunch."

"Okay. It's your shout because tonight I'll cook a nice meal to celebrate moving in. When you finish unpacking we’ll work out a list of things we need for the kitchen then visit some thrift shops to get it all. They have good things and it won't cost much."

Kieran was impressed.

"That's a great idea. How do you know about thrift shops?"

"My cousin’s a Second Year at a different College and I helped him set up his unit. He got towels and sheets and kitchen stuff for hardly anything. There's even furniture at some of them and we can look for a kitchen table."

"Whoo! I wish I hadn't slept in. This’ll be a busy day. Hey, you don't have to cook tonight. Mr B’s coming to check the place out and we can just get a pizza or some fish and chips."

"We will not celebrate with a pizza, Kieran. That would be awful. Mr B can share the meal with us. You said he might be visiting us quite a lot so we want to make him feel welcome."

"By cooking a meal? Well, it’ll have to be you then because I'm hopeless at cooking."

"Not for long. I’ll show you how. Does the First Australian boy know how to cook?"

"His name’s Woorawa. I don't know. I doubt it because he was blind till a week ago."

"Blind people can cook."

"I suppose. It must be harder though and I think he's had too many other things happening in his life."

"I've never met a First Australian from the outback. Is he used to wearing clothes?"

Kieran stared in disbelief.

"Tan, he’s from Alice Springs. That's not the real outback and he wears the same kind of things we do."

"The other day you said he was a full blood. Doesn't that mean he has ancient cultural ideas?"

"He does a bit, but he knows ordinary things too. Tan, are you nervous about him? ... He's friendly as anything and clever too. He's mad about computer stuff and we’re going to help him catch up with his maths. You'll have to learn how to eat lizards and snakes if you want to share meals with him though. He likes raw frogs too."

Tan leaned back in surprise then laughed.

"And now you're tricking me. I suppose he doesn't carry a boomerang everywhere or blow the didgeridoo either. I'll make up my own mind when I meet him."

"I don't know about the boomerang but he does blow the didgeridoo. I wonder if he'll bring it? Hey, do you know somewhere we can get keys cut? We need one for each of us and a few spares too."

"There's lots of places. We’ll do that when we go to the op shops."

The car set off and the rest of the afternoon was all activity. Tan was fun to be with and super organised as well, and by evening the kitchen was set up with frying pans, saucepans, a couple of woks and enough plates and crockery for half a dozen people, an old kitchen table carried from the thrift shop on the car's roof racks and scrubbed spick-and-span clean and set with a tablecloth, and the big old fridge that came with the house stocked with food.

***

"This is a surprise. I was expecting a pizza or takeaway of some kind and instead there's a delicious cooking smell."

Kieran and Tan exchanged smiles at the pizza comment.

"I was going to order pizzas but Tan wouldn't let me and he's made a special meal instead. Do you want a quick look around while he finishes off the veal?"

"I'm not finishing it, Kieran. You are, so you’ll learn what to do."

"He’s bossy. I had to get all the roast vegetables ready and make the salad."

Mr B laughed.

This I have to see. We'll look around later."

Under Tan’s supervision Kieran finished the veal, transferred it to a platter, and helped put the roast vegetables and a tray of mushrooms with cheese on the table.

Kieran's teeth crunched through the crisp coating around the tender meat. Wow! This was delicious. He blew on a forkful of mushrooms to cool it. So good. And there weren't going to be enough roast vegetables.

"Tan, this is better than going to a posh restaurant. Where did you learn to cook?"

"My whole family is good at it, Mr B, and they’ve taught me how ever since I was little."

"Well, I can tell that Woorawa’s going to get more help with his maths than he expected. What other hidden talents have you got, Tan?"

"None really. I have to devote all my time for the next few years to my studies. I do like photography but I haven't got a proper camera."

"That's neat. What sort of photography?"

"Any sort, but when I get the chance I'll specialise in macro."

"Do you like swimming, Tan? Mr B’s going to coach Woorawa when he gets here and you could join in."

"No. I'm no good at it."

"You don't have to be good at it to like it. Do you ever go to the pool to muck around?"

"Not really, Kieran ... Who wants the last piece of veal?"

Kieran was curious. It sounded like Tan didn't want to talk about swimming.

"I do, but we'll go shares."

After the meal Mr B helped wash the dishes and then they made the tour of both the inside and outside of the house.

"What are you going to do with the spare bedroom, Kieran, look for someone else to share, or make it a guest room?"

"We've talked it over and we'll wait till Woorawa gets here and then if we find someone we all like we’ll get them in, and then we'll use the enclosed part of the back veranda for visitors."

"And where are you going to work? You haven't got any study desks."

"Tomorrow’s a big furniture search day because we saw some good things this afternoon at the thrift shops. We’re going to get a desk for Woorawa too, as well as a bed, because there's nothing in his room. He arrives in three days and then we've got two days to show him round before semester starts, so we want to make sure everything’s sorted out."

"Kieran, I'm impressed. You're really organised."

Kieran pointed at Tan.

"Tan’s the organiser, not me. He thinks of everything."

"And he cooks like a chef. Woorawa’s going to love it here. Kieran, have you heard from him in the last few days?"

"There was an email yesterday asking about Internet connections but I haven't answered it yet. I must have been completely out of it last night with one of my migraines."

"You too? Join the club. My head hurt so bad I went to bed early and I slept in for ages this morning.

***

"I am greatly reassured by the success of this new intervention, Uirebon, but where is Lord Maynor? I expected a first-hand report."

"His efforts were prolonged and considerable, My Lord, and when I saw the level of his exhaustion I advised an immediate restorative session with his healer. His determination to recover from the setback of the previous session stretched his abilities further than I thought possible ... Surely you were surprised by the amount of power he used?"

"Partially. He did warn that we must take account of Keryth's strengthening resistance and I gave him access to a modicum of Nexus energy."

"He used it all, My Lord, and it was barely enough. Manipulation of but a single mind in the human world is difficult enough, but for this result he had to manage teachers and administrators as well as Keryth and all his associates."

"Why administrators?"

"Lord Maynor decided that, without complete separation, the young warrior would continually strain Keryth's conditioning or even block it. The administrators will facilitate his relocation."

"Good! No more rebound shock for Maynor and the triads from that healing touch. Apart from weariness, how have the triads performed?"

"Perfectly, my Lord. The melds are dis-banded and after an appropriate rest they will assist Maynor with clearing one final detail."

The High King regarded Uirebon with some surprise.

"While working with Keryth and Pethron's memories, Maynor discovered that the healing touch which rendered the triads unconscious also restored sight to a chance acquaintance who was subsequently invited to share Keryth’s new living arrangement."

"Such an invitation implies more than mere acquaintanceship."

"Indeed. A bond of friendship developed, My Lord, and introduced a complication. The dark child has significant memories which need to be modified before he meets Keryth again."

Aglaron regarded Uirebon with more surprise.

"Keryth has invited a child of that ancient culture into his home?"

"My Lord?"

"When Maynor recovers I am must view the memories of these events and impress on him the need for caution. There are mysteries with that culture ... How significant are the memories?"

"Very. Along with his extraordinary healing he observed Keryth communicate with various birds and animals, an ability which doesn't fit the normal human persona Maynor has just worked so hard to re-establish."

"I see, and what of my son’s well-being? So much reworking of the persona would cause a strong reaction."

"Strong but fleeting. After one long sleep he will resume life, motivated in his human studies and happy in his home situation. Maynor's efforts now have the realignment proceeding as designed."

"... With the exception of one detail."

***

The next few days were busy, busy, busy, with getting the house cleaned and set up so they wouldn't have anything to worry about when Semester started and Tan’s hatchback made trip after trip. Kieran didn't feel guilty about it taking so much time when Tan obviously enjoyed it all.

On Saturday mid-morning they set out for the airport. Mr B couldn't go because of a staff meeting and Kieran was relieved that Tan wanted to take his car. It was nearly an hour's trip with part of it through busy traffic but they timed it just right and Kieran yelled when he sighted Woorawa sitting on a seat in the quick pickup area.

"There he is! There he is! Look, Tan, he did bring his didgeridoo."

Tan slowed and pulled to the curb. Kieran rushed out to give Woorawa a big welcome and made a hasty introduction to Tan who then opened the back of his car. The big suitcase, a rucksack, a smaller day pack and the didgeridoo were quickly loaded and they set off again.

Woorawa had a smile about a mile wide and, feeling exactly the same, Kieran pointed at the didgeridoo.

"Play something for Tan. He thinks you can't speak English and he’s wondering if you're going to wander around the house in a loincloth, or nothing."

"Total lies, Woorawa. He tells them sometimes. Did you have a good trip down? Kieran said you left Alice Springs at six o'clock this morning."

"There was a wait for one and a half hours at Adelaide, but it was my first time on a jumbo jet so it was really interesting. Do you really want to hear the didgeridoo while you’re driving, or do you want to wait till I can do it properly with my ceremonial loincloth."

Tan would be polite and say to wait so Kieran pushed in.

"Both. A quick song now, and again when we get a proper chance at home and you can teach him some of your dances too. I've told him how good you are."

Woorawa rested the didgeridoo on top of Kieran’s seat so the sound would spread through the front of the car and spent four or five minutes playing a range of songs.

Tan was suitably impressed and Kieran's excitement at having Woorawa live with them built to a new high.

"Where’s Rhys? He was going to come to the airport."

"Rhys? No, he's gone. He moved to another College."

"What?"

Kieran couldn't understand Woorawa's puzzled look.

"Kieran, what happened to him?"

"How would I know? Students change Colleges all the time. He probably found a better course or something ... Did you hear anything, Tan?"

"Not much. I think he got a literature scholarship. Some students swap to the city campus because of the advanced course there."

"You haven't even talked to him about it?"

"What do you mean? Why should I? It's none of my business."

"Did you have a fight?"

Kieran twisted in his seat to look at Woorawa.

"A fight? Why would I? He was one of those quiet students and I saw him at the pool sometimes, but I hardly knew him."

"What? … Your best friend? You even said he was your soulmate when we were at the Valley of the Eagles."

What on earth was Woorawa talking about?

"You’re mixed up, Woorawa. Mr B and Tan are my friends, and you too, but not Rhys. I sort of remember him being there but I think it was Mr B who invited him."

Kieran watched Woorawa's huge frown change to a big smile.

"It's a joke! Rhys is waiting at the house with some sort of surprise for when I walk in."

This was getting weird and Kieran turned to Tan for backup. Tan looked in his rear vision mirror to speak.

"It sounds as if you don't want to believe us, Woorawa, but he definitely isn't at the house. Why would he be? He didn't have much to do with either of us."

"But! ..."

After this puzzled exclamation there was an awkward silence which Kieran wanted to end.

"I told Tan how good you are at dancing and he wants to learn from you."

"I did’t say that, Woorawa. Now he is joking. I'm hopeless at dancing."

The rest of the trip was normal conversation, mostly about the house and it’s set up, and a constant barrage of questions and observations from Woorawa as they went through Melbourne city central and along the busy freeways.

At the house there was a quick tour to show where everything was. Woorawa was obviously pleased with his room, and especially the big desk he'd be able to use for his study and his laptop computer, and while he packed his clothes into the small chest of drawers and cupboard Kieran explained how the Internet would be connected the next week and their plans for the next day. Woorawa was interested about the Internet but then he kept looking at Kieran and Kieran wondered why he seemed so distracted.

"Are you tired after your trip?"

"No, Kieran. Rhys isn't here and I don't understand it."

"Why do you keep talking about Rhys?"

Woorawa sat on the end of the bed and gestured for Kieran to do the same.

"Do you remember Rhys at the Valley of the Eagles?"

"Yes, he was there because Mr B knew he liked exploring. I told you that."

"Do you remember his magic hands?"

"No. Did he know some magic tricks?"

"What about the eagle?"

"Which eagle? We saw lots of them. That's why we went to the Valley."

"The one that sat on your arm."

"My arm? ... No way. Eagles are wild, Woorawa. That couldn't happen."

"I saw it. Try your Medusa look on me ... But only gently."

Kieran felt uncomfortable. All these weird questions and Woorawa seemed to be completely serious.

"I don't know what you mean. What's a Medusa look?"

"This is really off, Kieran. All sorts of things happened at Alice Springs and you don't seem to remember them ... Do you remember the Corroboree?"

"Of course I do. It was great. The dancing and singing and you took Mr B and me to the rock paintings and told us the story about the Dreamtime Caterpillars."

"Who was sitting next to you?"

"You were."

"And where was Mr B?"

"On the other side of the campfire."

"What about your left-hand side?"

"That was Mr B. There were just the three of us."

"Rhys was there too."

"No he wasn't."

"Yes he was. You told me he had blue eyes and he let me see his face with my fingers."

Kieran put his hands to his temples.

"And then you teased him about dancing."

"I don't want to talk about this. It’s giving me a headache. I think I'd better help Tan in the kitchen while you have your shower."

Woorawa gave him a very measured look.

"I’ll ring Uncle first, to tell him I've arrived and to ask him some questions."

Kieran watched Woorawa take out his mobile phone, and wondering why the conversation had made him feel so uneasy, headed off to the kitchen.

***


 

Copyright © 2018 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 4
  • Wow 8
  • Angry 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

May I wish many a heavy migraine upon Lord Maynor, interfering old goat!  Another excellent chapter, thank you, enjoyable as always.

 

Dathi

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Daddydavek said:

I'm wondering what happened to the orange rock which isn't really an orange rock....

Rhys has got to return.

 

Good point. Hopefully Kieran didn't throw away the rock

  • Like 5
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Geoffrey257 said:

Good point. Hopefully Kieran didn't throw away the rock

Hmm! I wonder?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Well written; but I did find the pacing to this chapter a little off.  I hope that Woowara can get a hold of his uncle and have the evidence to get Kieran to remember Rhys.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Nope, not liking this turn of events at all!  Fix it, my friend as soon as possible so Woorawa doesn't come to harm.    We can't have the bad guys win, and that's who Kieran's father and his councillors are.

I have faith in you, so I know things will work out in the end.  'Dark Child' hmm, that could be a simple reference to his ancestry, or the fact that his people's powers rival those of the elves, and are therefor considered bad from their perspective.  I'll take Burrimul's people over these stick-up-the-ass elves anyday.  :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Nope, not liking this turn of events at all!  Fix it, my friend as soon as possible so Woorawa doesn't come to harm.    We can't have the bad guys win, and that's who Kieran's father and his councillors are.

I have faith in you, so I know things will work out in the end.  'Dark Child' hmm, that could be a simple reference to his ancestry, or the fact that his people's powers rival those of the elves, and are therefor considered bad from their perspective.  I'll take Burrimul's people over these stick-up-the-ass elves anyday.  :)

Lol  - Bad guys? Aren't they trying to 'help' Keryth so he can be successor to the High Throne?  Just apply a bit of gay conversion therapy and everyone wins.

... Hmm!

Yep! 'Dark Child' was simply referring to his ancestry.  - but you're onto something with the rival powers bit too.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 12/2/2018 at 7:01 AM, travlbug said:

The Dark Child...one final detail....  While Lord Maynor's interference has resulted in Rhys' "exile" and the memory modification of numerous people, Woowara, a full-blooded First Australian, seems immune, with full memory of what has really occurred. (This chapter feels like an episode from the Twilight Zone!  I don't like the Elves very much right now.)  Woowara realizes that something is very, very wrong, and I am relieved that he has contacted his uncle, presumably to discuss the situation and find a remedy.  

 

As an aside, why would the Elvin king refer to Woowara--a First Australian--as a "dark child?" Woowara had better act fast, as he is clearly the "final detail," and may face serious consequences if the Elves act first.

Woorawa has a degree of immunity - more to be revealed.

And @ColumbusGuy  has it right. 'Dark Child' is purely a reference to his ancestry.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Lord Maynor is messing with Kierans mind and it’s what’s causing the migraines he’s having. Now he doesn’t even remember his best friend Rhys Woorawa is trying to get him to remember him although Kieran says that it’s all giving him a migraine. Woorawa is going to talk to his uncle about the fact that Kieran nor Tan can remember that Rhys was a very good friend of theirs.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I’m confused about the fathers sections. I’m not sure what happened to make him do all these things to his son. I went back and read the first chapter and it’s still got me confuddled.  Imma keep reading tho!  Other than this I’m enjoying 

Link to comment

Well I guess I have to read another chapter since this has left me anxious and angry.  I don't want to go to bed with this feeling.

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..