Jump to content
    Palantir
  • Author
  • 5,148 Words
  • 2,193 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Widderkin - 38. Chapter 38

Chapter 38.

Kieran carefully reached through the subtle pathway of the Pearl to the buzzing surface thoughts of Maynor’s immobile captive and sent a gentle recognition signal.

"Ranevargar?"

Shock jarred every train of racing thought.

"Who speaks? ... Through these impossible shields? ... Do I know you? ... A friend?"

"Yes, a friend. You can’t remember our strategy but here is the special mind-key you gave me. Use it to recover your lost memories."

"Lost memories? So Maynor's nonsensical questions were legitimate ... That is my key but where do I use it?"

"Follow your Pearl link into my mind."

Excitement, exhilaration even, flared.

"My Pearl? You have it safe?"

"Exactly as we planned, Ranevargar. Use the key because I need your advice."

The wave of questions was overridden as he rushed to comply and Kieran watched Ranevargar's wonder at the link, the key activating, and memories flooding back.

"KIERAN!"

The excited mental shout cut abruptly when Ranevargar almost frantically started accessing information.

"... You are all safe ... The construct is awake ... Maurice?? ... Krol is proud and happy."

Kieran smiled inside with each mental exclamation of realisation, then wondered at the puzzled pause.

"Kieran, what have you done?"

Kieran noticed with interest that the manner and tone of Ranevargar's question was almost identical to Maurice’s.

"Not yet, Ranevargar. You come first. We decided it should be safe to give you back your memories because Maynor's manipulations don't seem to work on you."

"They do work, Kieran. Just a short while ago I started to think he was almost reasonable, but when he rushed off I quickly came to my senses."

"Tan thought I might need to look after your memories again when we finish talking since we’ve had a big setback. We can't come to help you for a few days because Maurice says it will take that long before his wings are ready."

"Days? I don't understand that."

Kieran projected a strong image of the cavern and its occupants.

"Look at him. The stasis didn't stop him growing and he’s much bigger than you showed us. His size meant the waking was really hard on his body."

"Yes, I see that now, but Kieran, that means our power calculations were completely inadequate. However did you manage?"

"The Opal gave me everything. The Grove energy wasn't nearly enough and then Maurice needed far more for the challenge as well."

Kieran watched with growing bewilderment while Ranevargar reviewed the power usage for Maurice's awakening, scanned the memories of everything Maurice had said, accessed all his interactions with Maynor, then rode through the Pearl link to check on his Guardians and Hosts.

"I am confident in my ability to withstand Maynor's manipulations, Kieran. Along with your amazing shields I have a secret weapon."

"How did you do that?"

"??"

"The thinking, Ranevargar. So many things almost at the same time?"

"Thinking? ... I have done nothing else since Maynor bound me ... Oh, I see. This new vigour is Rhys's gift, and beneath the cloak of paralysis my physical form is also invigorated."

"Um! What's the secret weapon that protects you?"

"Your constant supply of extra confidence is the element which gives me the edge. Whenever I waver, the first indication of Maynor's effectiveness, it kicks in and restores my mind to independence."

"Will it keep helping now that you know it's happening?"

"Even more, Kieran. Please keep it going. It will be a critical help for me during the coming extremity."

"What extremity?"

Once again Kieran watched Ranevargar study the memories of Maurice’s awakening.

"You were occupied with ... Maurice ... and didn't observe my most recent visit. Maynor is about to unleash power beyond anything the High Castle can stand and make himself High King."

"Using the Ruby Power? I know about that from earlier when he bragged about it. Ranevargar, I don't care what happens to the High Castle. You said yourself it was involved in taking Rhys away. It's you I want to protect."

"I must confront Maynor, Kieran. He threatens to destroy my Central Grove, take my Pearl, and give Stewardship of my Realm to a new Lord. The current High King would never contemplate such a dishonourable action."

Kieran remembered how convinced Ranevargar was about the High King’s integrity and didn't know what to think.

"Kieran, some time later today Maynor intends to use every resource he can command to penetrate these shields. If, as High King, he takes full control of the Nexus, I am not sure they will hold."

So, that was the extremity? Kieran thought the shields would be strong enough but was uncertain enough to be worried.

"You’re our first priority, Ranevargar, and we can't do anything about the High King from here anyway. Maurice says he can do things for you but I wasn't game to bring him through the link. I have to sneak in carefully myself and Maurice’s mind has so much power there’s no way Maynor would miss him."

"Well considered, Kieran. His mental presence behind Maynor's defences would start a great turmoil of alarm and reaction. If you can take me through your link to meet him, Maynor will have no knowledge of the meeting."

Once again Kieran was puzzled.

"Of course, but why ask me? It’s your Pearl and your link."

"Not quite, Kieran. Your elusive technique has partially hidden it from me."

"It has? ... Oh, I see ... Is that better?"

"Yes ... That is interesting ... but time passes. Let us make haste."

In an instant Kieran's attention was back in the cavern and turning to Maurice.

"It's not safe for you to go to Ranevargar so I’ve brought him here where your mind can be as open and active as you like."

"MAKER!"

"Well met, my pompatus Guardian. My heart rejoices with your safe recovery."

Joy radiated to all the companions and Krol, almost the same joy the Realm Guardians experienced when Ranevargar woke from the healing zap, and the shared wonder stretched till, through Kieran, Ranevargar addressed everyone.

"The Dragon Quest is successful beyond expectation, my friends, and the gratitude of two Realms rests with all of you. Now, pardon my haste, but as Kieran will explain, time is valuable and I must speak with our curiously named Maurice."

Kieran, present by invitation, watched with little understanding as Ranevargar's mental touch activated a dormant area in Maurice's mind. A second area blossomed into life, then another, and another. Kieran, confounded by the new complexity, stirred uncomfortably when the Pearl link lit up with the amount of information Ranevargar was calling through it.

"Careful, Ranevargar. You’ll trigger Maynor's alarms."

"All is well, Kieran. My lost abilities have taken the first step to recovery and I can now protect myself."

"What’s happening, Kieran? Ranevargar said you’d explain."

"I can't keep up, Rhys. Ranevargar did something to make Maurice's mind work better, then collected a whole lot of memories from him, except it's more complicated than that."

"Why did he say two Realms?"

"He means this one, Mr B, as well as his own. He says the Opal has stopped it being Unordered."

"Your Opal? Godfather, Kieran. It keeps doing new things. But what about Ranevargar? He sounded all excited, and I thought he’d be disappointed we can't get to him for so long."

"He’s just told me he can protect himself from Maynor. He’s learning stuff from Maurice."

Kieran jumped when Woorawa grabbed his arm forcefully and urgently.

"What sort of stuff, Kieran? Has he found out how to do the big portal?"

Four sets of eyes were now riveted on Kieran.

"I don't know. When their minds stop breaking speed limits I’ll find out."

"Can't you see? You’ve been watching what Ranevargar’s thinking for days."

"I can but at the moment there’s too much. It's like they’re swapping whole libraries of information and I haven't got a catalogue."

Tan turned to look at Maurice.

"He’s closed his eyes. I suppose that means they’re still transferring?"

Kieran nodded and silence stretched till Ranevargar's attention shifted to them.

"I am sorry, full recovery of my knowledge and abilities can only occur when Maurice and I make physical contact, but that needn't be delayed. If Rhys is willing to offer his healing touch, along with your careful application of power, Kieran, Maurice could be ready to fly in a very short time."

"Offer? Of course I’ll offer."

Mr B shook his head.

"We all know that, Rhys, Ranevargar included. It’s just his polite way.

"Wonderful, Rhys. It will be quite a task but if you start promptly Maurice could well be ready to fly by the time your storm subsides."

Rhys grabbed Kieran's arm.

"Have you got much more mind stuff, Kieran?"

He gave Kieran a look of anticipation.

"Helping a Dragon’s a bit mind-boggling and so is seeing him fly."

"Seeing will come later, Rhys. Your first experience of Dragon flight will be from Maurice’s back."

"... Won't he need a practice by himself? I mean he’s been asleep for 600 years and he’s twice as big."

"I know first-hand the astonishing effectiveness of your healing, Rhys, and the race to this Castle will be more than enough for Maurice to acquaint himself with his new flying abilities."

"New abilities?"

"Changed is a better description, Kieran. Some loss of manoeuvrability will be offset by a greater capability for speed."

Kieran smiled as new anticipation swelled in Rhys's mind.

"Unreal! ... How will we stay on? We haven't got saddles ... And will he carry all of us?"

"Yes, Rhys, including Krol who mustn't be left behind."

Carry Krol? Kieran wondered how that would work. Well, they’d find out soon enough.

"One more thing, Kieran. Can I make a request for increased access to my Pearl and a store of power? My current personal resources won't cope with the coming confrontation with Lord Maynor."

Kieran now understood that this was the extremity Ranevargar had referred to, but he also saw an overtone implying it would be Ranevargar's confrontation.

"How much power, Ranevargar? I’ve kept it going in case we need it. It’s still all pouring into Maurice but I can swap it to your Pearl for as long as you like."

"Not all, Kieran. You haven't been watching how Maurice is using it."

"??"

Kieran hastily checked. Wow! The first channel was building a reserve to help Maurice with his flying. Of course. Ranevargar had said way back that Maurice’s take off needed power assistance. The new channel, though, was dispersing all through the Realm.

"What's he doing with it?"

"Using it for its intended purpose, Kieran, and eagerly exercising his primary function of nurturing the life of this Realm."

Kieran had a closer look at the busy complex of activities humming through Maurice's mind.

"Amazing! I was going to direct both channels of energy to your Central Grove but it’ll have to be just the first one now. It feels like he really needs that second channel ... Ranevargar, there’s a big problem ahead. He’s going to be totally upset when I stop calling power through the second channel."

"There is no problem, Kieran. That channel is the greatest wonder for Faerie in over ninety centuries and you won't stop because if you do the Realm will die again."

"But ..."

Kieran looked at the power flow more closely and Ranevargar, watching from afar, shared some of his understanding.

"Your Opal is now aligned with the Lost Realm, Kieran, and the power you direct to Maurice is bringing it to life."

Kieran saw and shared Ranevargar's wonder, but along with that came a troubling realisation.

"... Does that mean my Opal has to stay here? We need it to get back to College."

"Don't feel trapped, Kieran. Your bond with the Opal will make it possible. We will find a way."

Kieran, conflicted by the thought that returning to College might mean this Realm dying again, took heart from Ranevargar's optimism.

"Stop all that thinking, Kieran. We need to heal Maurice so we can get to Ranevargar."

Rhys's grip on his arm refocused Kieran's attention.

"Just a couple of seconds, Rhys. Ranevargar’s about to leave the link and there’s stuff we have to do."

Rhys grinned.

"There’s always stuff."

What an understatement. Kieran redirected the flow from the first energy channel and sent it flooding through the Pearl and into the Central Grove, released the amount of Pearl control that Ranevargar felt was safe, told Maurice to ready himself for healing, and reluctantly bade farewell to Ranevargar.

"Thank you, Kieran. I need a time of deep meditation and assimilation now, but my confidence is higher than ever and I will make contact as soon as I am ready."

"Will I keep watch in case you need me or Maurice?"

"Only if you sense me using power from the Central Grove. Give your full attention to Maurice and your companions for the next while."

Ranevargar's connection died and Kieran's attention swapped yet again.

"Yay! Finally! That couple of seconds lasted about a minute."

Maurice’s head moved to rest on the cavern floor.

"Hands on his snout, Rhys. Your Dragon healing is starting."

Rhys eagerly complied and Kieran finished the flow to the Grove, checked Rhys's healing reserve as well is his own, then watched the Rhys effect work its way through Maurice's body. Whoo! All his body, not just his wings.

"Heat, Kieran. Should I feel so much heat?"

"That's good, Maurice. It means the healing is working."

Rhys and Kieran shared a puzzled look as to why Maurice was suddenly projecting amusement.

"What? ... Is it like you’re being tickled or something? Krol and Tan never thought it was funny."

"No, Rhys. I am reflecting on the unexpectedness of your ability to return my greeting ... I feel just like a roast dinner."

Proper control of the healing collapsed when Kieran's own amusement joined the feeling already resonating from Maurice, then wavered again when he saw Rhys’s huge grin.

The healing resumed with new pleasure and achievement for Kieran and Rhys, and a quick check showed Maurice monitoring the progress with amazement and vast gratitude.

"Yes, Kieran. Days of healing accomplished in minutes is just one of so many things to take in."

"I know. I’m talking to a Dragon ... Maurice, can Woorawa, Tan and Mr B do anything to get ready for flying? We haven't got any harnesses to keep us safe."

"Your safety is assured, Kieran, as you will see. I do suggest you all get accustomed to climbing into place though, by carefully negotiating my back ridge."

"Not yet. We’ll all do that together so Rhys can lead the way. We decided it’s his privilege to be the first Dragon rider."

"He will be second, Kieran. The Maker came on the flight from his Realm to help me become established."

That brought a whole flood of questions to Kieran's mind.

"Did you get upset about being put to sleep, Maurice?"

"Very much, Kieran. It clashed with my primary drive to actively manage the Realm, but it was also a relief to know that the dangerous results of my inability to counter disorder would end ... My body has a sudden urge to move. Will that interfere with the healing process?"

"Whatever you like as long as you don't move your head and lose contact with Rhys's hands."

Maurice’s wings stretched, his body arched and his tail lashed in slow motion.

"How’s our healing going, Kieran? You haven't said anything."

"Sorry, Rhys. I’ve been talking to Maurice and watching where the healing’s happening. It's almost finished for his main body and the energy’s mostly working on his wings. We’ll be finished in about five minutes."

"You're joking? Ranevargar said it would be a big task."

"I know. He probably thought that because Maurice is so big, but we’re handling way more power than we did for Krol."

"We are? It doesn't feel any different to me."

"Yes it does. There’s that tingle in your hands where they touch Maurice's skin. I can see it in your mind."

"... Hey, it is too. How did you notice that?"

"It’s part of how I make sure you don't flake out."

Woorawa moved close.

"How much more power, Kieran? Is it from the control exercises Ranevargar got you started on?"

Kieran laughed.

"So you can add it to my practice routine? A bit, but more because I had to figure out how to cope with two big channels to wake Maurice. He's like a bottomless pit for energy."

"Is he getting much now? The blue round his head’s stopped but your Opal’s still glowing. For the healing I suppose?"

"Gods! Woorawa. I can't believe how much power he’s using. He’s using one channel to build a reserve so he can fly and the other channel’s healing the Realm."

The great golden eyes, so close with the contact of the healing process, blinked with deliberation.

"Not so, Kieran. The flying reserve is complete and every bit of energy you send is helping the Realm ... The heat in my wings is receding?"

Kieran checked and gave Rhys a big smile.

"Thirty seconds, Rhys, and Maurice will be ready to fly."

Rhys grin returned.

"The roast dinner is ready for action?"

"Very much so, Rhys. The touch of your hands is a mysterious gift."

"How come I can look at your eyes now without getting hypnotised?"

"?? ... Only when Kieran commands it, Rhys."

"What?"

Kieran nodded.

"Yep! When I'm getting squished by a blubber mountain you’ll be hypnotised into surrendering."

"Ha! More cheating."

"Grab your rucksack, Rhys. You’re leading the way up Maurice’s back."

Maurice’s head lifted almost to the top of the cavern and Kieran watched, fascinated, as different groups of muscle and flesh tensed and relaxed. Rhys took no notice. He was in a rush to get his rucksack on. Maurice moved toward the bend in the cavern.

"Hey! Wait for us."

"Rhys, he hasn't moved for 600 years."

"I know. I’m impatient too."

He wasn't really, just excited at the extraordinary prospect of riding a Dragon and eager for action. Everyone followed round the bend then stopped to watch the meeting between Gryphon and Dragon. Kieran had seen with an earlier mind check how Maurice's greeting protocol included both physical and mental contact.

Krol's head lifted proudly. Maurice’s head lowered, quite sedately, and there was a moment of distinctly formal contact.

"Greetings, brave Guardian. I give you my thanks and a message of appreciation from our Maker for protecting your companions."

Krol didn't answer with words of course, but Kieran watched joy and achievement flood towards Maurice.

"Well! Look at that. Krol’s not one bit nervous. He even looks happy as anything."

"Maurice just gave him a thank you message from Ranevargar, Rhys, and he thinks about Maurice the same way he does for any other Guardians or animals in Ranevargar's Realm. They’re being quiet while Maurice looks through his memories."

Rhys clipped his already shouldered rucksack and grinned at everyone.

"Who's coming?"

The healing was well and truly finished but everyone looked to Kieran who nodded and gave his own grin.

"Go on Dragon rider. We’ll watch till we know it is safe."

Rhys gave an ‘I know you’re joking me’ look then hesitated till Kieran pointed to Maurice's tail with a go motion.

Tan asked the question.

"It is safe isn't it, Kieran? Does he have to be careful of sharp scales or the ridge of spikes?"

"Maurice said it was completely safe, Tan. We just have to get there and we’re all good scramblers now."

Tans eyes widened at that.

"Mountains don't move while you are climbing them, Kieran. I hope he stays still."

Kieran, along with everyone else, jolted with the surprise of a particularly brilliant lightning flash and the accompanying crash of sound.

"Gods, Kieran! That was close. The storm seems as strong as ever."

Maurice, looking to the entrance, answered.

"Without further stimulus the storm will dissipate quickly, Woorawa, and we will be able to leave."

"Stimulus? You mean you can keep it going if you want to?"

"If we didn't have to leave I would keep it going for hours, Rhys.

Water is the essence of life, Woorawa, and the Realm thirsts for every drop that falls."

Kieran saw Maurice’s strong yearning to do just that, but attention shifted back to Rhys who was now standing where Maurice’s tail rested on the ground.

He grasped the prominent ridge, pulled himself up, then promptly fell on his back. He flipped to a kneeling position then stood up with a highly indignant expression.

"That wasn't me. He twitched."

Warily he picked his way, holding one side of the double ridge in case of any more twitches, till he reached a broad area between Maurice’s wings.

"Come on everyone! His back’s so lumpy it's easy ... if he doesn't play tricks."

And easy it was, with parallel ridges for handholds and curious corrugations providing plenty of secure footholds.

Woorawa led, with Mr B following and Kieran escorting Tan. He didn't really need assistance though and soon everyone was standing with Rhys on a kind of platform area of smoother skin.

"Unreal, Kieran! We’re boss of the world up here but flying’s definitely going to be scary."

Kieran agreed, quite puzzled how Maurice could think this was safe. The only handholds were the big ridge protrusions at the sides. What? Humour reached everyone as the whole flat area they were standing on began to twitch.

"Move back while I raise your protection."

Everyone, receiving Maurice's image, scrambled back and watched the great flap of skin they'd been standing on rise from his back.

"Sheba! That’s brilliant, Maurice."

"Thank my Maker, Rhys. He needed security while flying, and protection from wind and cold."

Rhys and Woorawa moved to explore the sheltered space and excitedly yelled for everyone to join them.

"Come and feel, Kieran. It's like fur. The thickest I've ever seen with kind of straps for holding on."

"And others for your feet, Rhys. Try them now to get used to them."

Kieran found a position, sank into the luxurious layer of fur, slipped his hands and feet into the strange restraint growths, and marvelled at how comfortable and secure he felt.

"Maurice, what happens if you forget we’re here and lower the shield? Will we get squished?"

"Not at all, Woorawa. Observe."

The great plate of skin lowered, cutting off the light, but at the same time the bed of fur lowered as well, leaving a gap above their heads.

"There is plenty of air, Tan. In this configuration you will be completely protected whatever my speed or contortions."

"What about Krol, Maurice? He won't be shielded like we are."

"There is great power in his claws and beak, Rhys. Enough to hold him in place at any speed. For any major contortions he will simply detach."

"How fast do you travel? We’ve flown with the Griffins at astonishing speed."

"I don't know the answer to that myself, Mr B. I am greatly increased in strength, and Kieran provides me with energy at rates I have never contemplated. It will be fast."

"What's happening with the storm? Is there any change?"

"Patience, Rhys ... fifteen minutes or maybe more for safety. Emerge from your cocoon to watch with me."

The barrier above their heads lifted and returned to being an observation platform.

"The lightning and the deluge of water is specco, Maurice, but are we watching for anything else?"

"... It is enough for me, Rhys. Apart from barely formed dream visions I have seen nothing for 600 years."

Four sets of eyes turned to see Woorawa's reaction.

"They’re looking at me because I was blind for eight years before Rhys and Kieran healed me, Maurice, but that's nothing compared to 600."

"Not so, Woorawa. You were aware of your loss."

The silence of contemplation broke with a new question from Rhys.

"Your eyes are huge, Maurice. Does that mean you can see better than Krol?"

"I believe so, Rhys, but you will be able to make your own comparison when we fly."

"What? ... How?"

Kieran saw the expectation.

"You’re going to love it, Rhys. Maurice will send what he’s seeing, or what Krol’s seeing, whichever you choose ... It's the way Ranevargar saw everything when they flew here."

"Wow! Unreal."

Out of curiosity Kieran accessed Maurice's vision and had an inward smile because, along with extra clarity of all his features, Krol was suddenly looking tiny. Well, of course he would, from a mighty Dragon's perspective.

"Mighty, Kieran? Not really, just fit for purpose."

"You were fit for purpose before all this growing. I think mighty works ... What are you doing with all my first channel energy? I tried following your path for it and it disappears into thin air."

"Quite an apt description, Kieran. I am using every bit you give me to generate another storm."

"Another one?"

"If I had enough energy I would start many more. As I informed Woorawa, water is the key to begin restoring the Realm, and the right kind of storm will fill the rivers and flood the plains."

Kieran looked at the water sheeting down at the cavern entrance.

"We’ll be confined here for ages."

"Kieran, you have the skill. Search the Realm for a manifestation of energy."

Whoops! Slightly embarrassed, Kieran reached, observed, then made a comparison.

"It’s a long way from here and it's big, much bigger than this storm."

"Big enough to feed the four nearby river systems, Kieran. The run-off will be the kernel for new life."

"Kernel? ... How much water do you need?"

"There is plenty of water, Kieran, centuries of accumulation as snow and ice. Gathering energy to transform it to liquid form will be the greatest difficulty."

Kieran looked with new care at both energy channels. The new one, according to Ranevargar, was all accounted for, but the first was his to use however he wished.

"We’ll keep the energy coming as long as you like, Maurice, and you can make a new storm each time you are ready."

Gratitude flowed in a great flood, along with a tinge of regret.

"What’s wrong?"

"We will manage one further storm, Kieran, but when we pass the Realm Boundary I will lose control."

That was a big problem. Maurice understood there was uncertainty about Kieran's return to Dead World. Maybe? ... Why not? Yes, it was worth a try and with the technique so new and strong in his mind Kieran formed the structure for a third power channel and sent a new call to the Opal.

"What are you doing, Kieran?"

"Experimenting. I’m trying to get extra energy for you but it doesn't seem to be working."

Indeed, for the first time ever the Opal wasn't responding to his call. Maybe the torrent raging through the normal channel was the maximum it could provide? Kieran was about to dismantle the containment structure for the channel when he had another thought ... Maybe the two channels already operating were masking his call?

Kieran made the call again, not quite a demand because that wasn't how it worked, increasing its strength and, for emphasis, holding it longer ... Yes, something was definitely different ... A strange tension built, snapped then disappeared. The new channel flooded to the maximum so rapidly Kieran almost lost control. Shock and alarm thrilled through Maurice's mind as a glowing reserve of unexpected energy enveloped his body, expanding towards the ceiling, surrounding all five companions with a glowing, white nimbus, then stretching to the cavern bend.

"Sheba, Maurice! Send it to the storm. Quick, before it gets too big and I have to cut it off."

The new reserve connected and Kieran watched Maurice struggle to cope.

"There is too much, Kieran. Far too much. You will have to slow it down before my pathways burn out."

"No they won't. See how the structure of the channel holds it? Build that same pattern into all your pathways."

"?? ... Help me!"

The glowing white reserve slowed its expansiom as Kieran and Maurice cooperated in tracing and strengthening the overloaded energy pathways.

"See how the pathways grab passing energy to strengthen themselves? That's what I had to figure out for the first two channels."

"Yes, a new thing. Extraordinary ... but what have you done this time?"

"This time? I’ve made an extra channel to help with your storms."

"That I understand ... It is the new energy that confounds me. Where does it come from?"

Since that seemed to be blatantly obvious it was Kieran's turn to be confounded.

"??"

"Kieran, the first channel has your blue signature. The second channel has the rainbow signature of Nexus energy. This new energy is pure white, powerful beyond my understanding. Look at it."

It was different but the closer look was interrupted by insistent tugging on his arm.

"Kieran, what the blazes is happening? When this white glow came Maurice quivered like a jelly till it started to shrink, and now we look like a pack of angels. Is it another emergency?"

Four very worried sets of features relaxed with a message of reassurance.

"Sorry, everyone. It was my fault this time. I wanted to help Maurice make new storms and lots of stuff happened all at once."

"Storms? What was the quivering, Kieran? It was so weird we all freaked."

"So did Maurice. I gave him extra energy without enough warning."

"To use your term, Rhys, it frightened the hell out of me. I faced the prospect of becoming a roast dinner again."

"Um ... You mean for real?"

"I do, Rhys. This new energy was more than I could cope with till Kieran showed me how. The quivering you experienced was a physical reaction to an unexpected threat."

Woorawa surprised everyone with his laugh.

"Don't mess with Kieran, Rhys. He hands out halos and makes Dragons quiver in their boots ... Was all that glow the new energy, Kieran?"

He turned to look at the diminished reserve near Maurice’s head.

"Yes, it came in a rush."

"Why are you making it white?"

"I'm not. That's one of the things we don't understand. We haven't looked properly yet but Maurice is really puzzled."

"Ask Ranevargar. He'll know, but I think it might be time to move, Kieran. The lightning’s stopped."

With Tan’s comment the focus of attention changed yet again and Kieran followed Maurice’s tendril of perception.

"Tan is right. The rain will persist but the danger from a lightning strike has passed. Move beneath the shield and we will proceed."

The lightning returned, well, a shared burst of excitement with the same shock of impact, as everyone scrambled into place.

***

Copyright © 2018 Palantir; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 22
  • Love 9
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a convergence of minds.  Can't wait to see what happens when a dragon and a group of out worlders join the fight.

Edited by centexhairysub
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

OK,  the new source of energy or type of energy that produced the white light has me exhilarated and concerned.  Exhilarated in that it appears to be a game changer; concerned in that Kieran may be overconfident in his ability to control it.  In any case, I can't wait to catch up with Ranevargar and see how he is handling things.....

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

So now we're ready for the huffing and puffing to discommode a certain super-egotistical pest.  Awesome chapter, thank you and while I impatiently await the next exciting installment I shall watch the bumble bees, honey bees and red admiral butterflies working on the cherry plum tree.  Just wonderful!

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Well now, Steve Miller would be so proud..."Well met, my pompatus Guardian. My heart rejoices with your safe recovery." What a wonderful application of the only single word capable of defining MAURICE!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

What a convergence of minds.  Can't wait to see what happens when a dragon and a group of out worlders join the fight.

'Convergence of minds' - I love this phrase.  :)

Yes -  the action could very well be 'out of this world'.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

OK,  the new source of energy or type of energy that produced the white light has me exhilarated and concerned.  Exhilarated in that it appears to be a game changer; concerned in that Kieran may be overconfident in his ability to control it.  In any case, I can't wait to catch up with Ranevargar and see how he is handling things.....

 

All these energy types, Opal energy, Nexus energy, Ruby energy - and now the new white energy? What can it all mean?

And as for Ranevargar - he says he's only just starting to recover his abilities???

  • Like 4
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Philippe said:

Well now, Steve Miller would be so proud..."Well met, my pompatus Guardian. My heart rejoices with your safe recovery." What a wonderful application of the only single word capable of defining MAURICE!

Lol - I couldn't resist putting it in - especially after one of my searches (the Urban Dictionary) came up with a meaning of  'splendor, magnificence, suave pageantry'  which certainly seemed rather apt.

As for real meaning, there doesn't seem to be one, and finding it spelt as 'pompatus', 'pompetous'. and 'pompitous' adds to the puzzle. it sounds good though :)

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Hmmm, where were we?

Ranevargar is still less than whole now, but has recovered much he lost in his overextended efforts to secure Maurice in stasis. With the return of much of his long lost memories and lordly knowledge from Maurice, Ranevargar has much more confidence in facing Maynor.

Yet Ranevargar and other lords of the Realms still remain perplexed with much of Kieran’s abilities to call upon and weave the nexus energies; with a stone yet unknown to them. From within the ancient castle fortress of the dead realm, Kieran calls upon the Pearl, then calls upon the Opal; calls falling short of the vast energies required to animate Maurice. So Kieran calls again, to double his efforts, with those calls Kieran has to step up his mastery of weaving power to restore Maurice’s powers. It appears the Opal recognized its home and the high calls of Kieran; the call is answered but not before the big reorganization and rebalancing of the nexus which now yields a purer nexus energy. The high king and lords now bear witness to the return of nexus purity elusive to all but the ancients; times when the adepts created the Realms and Realm Stones. Powers lost and mostly all but forgotten.

To heal and restore Maurice’s functionality in time to rescue Ranevargar before the manic Maynor can apply forces sure to break him, Kieran must call again for power. The calls answered, but not without Kieran bringing forth an insistent call for energies; getting that not of the Pearl, not of the Opal, not of the nexus either, but of the realms? It appears Kieran and the companions have been found worthy and pure guardian Angeles of the Realms.

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Maynor is going to be in for one big surprise when he comes back to visit Ranevargar...and where is this new energy coming from if not the Nexus?  Does this new realm have some heretofor hidden source like Ranevargar's groves?

Who knew dragons had seat belts?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Maynor is going to be in for one big surprise when he comes back to visit Ranevargar...and where is this new energy coming from if not the Nexus?  Does this new realm have some heretofor hidden source like Ranevargar's groves?

Who knew dragons had seat belts?

Great questions - as usual - but thinking of 'restraint growths' as 'seat belts' is a total classic. :2thumbs:

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, Philippe said:

I thought it to be a...fuzzy cockpit?? 🤷‍♂️

What wonders and imagery our human minds perceive. lol.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Palantir said:

Great questions - as usual - but thinking of 'restraint growths' as 'seat belts' is a total classic. :2thumbs:

 

44 minutes ago, Palantir said:

What wonders and imagery our human minds perceive. lol.

Given that environment, it makes those restraint “growths” all the more exciting. 🤗

Edited by Philippe
  • Like 3
Link to comment

With Kieran’s mutual aid agreement partially fulfilled, Kieran still sees the remaining obligation to Ranevargar as paramount. Ranevargar stated the case and need to prevent the fall of the High Castle defenses, and of protecting the High King for the security of the Realms, but Kieran only knows of betrayal to himself and the companions. 

Kieran and Ranevargar lack contact with lords other than Maynor since learning of the challenge to the king and of realm rule. The.High King is “believed” to be honorable and loyal to the Realms but he allowed Maynor’s deceit to compromise his integrity; with his own son no less. Was/Is his desire for Keryth to be Non-widderkin forgivable, or is it an indicator of his willingness to compromise himself and others to retain absolute rule. Maynor will be launching his brutal attack on the High Castle soon. Kieran will either bear witness to his fall or empower him with aid beyond justification.

The energy flows alone should highlight the dangers to realm order but will, and should, aid be given before the High King suffers the binding of his mind and the assault on nexus controls? Will Kieran be able to protect the Realm if he himself is under attack from those whom should be worth of trust?

Kieran needs his full memory and awareness to stand in judgement of the king, as his father and a king, and of others within the Realms, but at what cost to himself and the companions. The companions are amazingly resilient, but timing is critical; for the king, for Ranevargar, and for the Realms.

With Ranevargar “Rhys.renewed,” will his ambitions of the past compromise his integrity of today? If such conflict arises, will Maurice concede to the maker or stay true to his realm? Will Maurice be capable, or capable of evolving, to subjective deliberations of the greater good for the Realms/Worlds? Will the High King seek the same renewal? at any costs? Was the right of Keryth’s succession the real cause of the King’s deceit? 

Edited by Philippe
  • Like 1
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..