Jump to content
    WolfM
  • Author
  • 6,518 Words
  • 13,185 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Running with the Pack - 31. Chapter 31

Ethan stared out the front window, as if waiting to see Aiden come walking up the driveway. There was no emotion, no acknowledgement of anyone nearby, no anything. It was like he was not even there. His mind and emotions appeared to have completely shut down while he struggled to find a way to deal with his mate’s disappearance. No one was sure what they could do to comfort him. Mary and the rest of the family sat with him much of the time. The lunis community came around to the Tucker house daily to check on him, and offer the family their assistance in sitting with him so he would know he was not alone. The young man was special to each of the lunis he had helped; he was special to every former feral. They could not just sit by while the person who saved them was hurting. Still, Ethan sat quietly, looking through the window.

******

It had been three days since the attack. Three days of not knowing what had happened to the pack members who were taken. In addition to the twelve kidnapped from Parker Valley, twenty-two were missing from Ember Moon, and eighteen from Morning Star. Parker Valley led the intelligence gathering effort on rogue gangs that could have pulled off the attack. It was long known there were several groups in the northeast. In some cases, their general locations had been identified as places to avoid. What wasn’t known was the size or strength of those groups and which one actually had possession of the prisoners. Going after the wrong gang could end up costing the lives of those taken.

John had just finished a conference call with the alphas of the other two affected packs when three SUVs pulled up in front of his office. Craig Jacobs emerged from one and waited for the occupants of the others to get out. A huge hulk of a man approaching seventy years exited the second. He looked like he could pick up the SUV if he wanted. His mate joined him in front of the vehicle, taking his arm. The driver of the third opened the rear door and bowed his head. Out stepped an imposing older man followed by an elegant woman. There was an air of power and strength about him even as he leaned on his cane.

The alpha approached the three vehicles, focusing on one man in particular. “Dad, it’s good to see you. Mom, you’re looking as lovely as ever.” He leaned in to kiss his mother’s cheek before giving her a hug. He turned his attention to the others. “Craig, thanks for coming. Weylin, Kate, it’s good to have you home. I know Rafe and the family will be happy to see you. I just wish this homecoming was under better circumstances.”

Craig Jacobs shook hands with Weylin and Kate Tucker before approaching the alpha he remembered from his own childhood; he tipped his head in respect before shaking hands with Garrett and Barbara Stockdale. The group made their way inside to the conference room.

Craig was anxious and couldn’t wait on protocol. “John, have you heard anything yet from the kidnappers?”

“I wish I had some information for you, but so far we haven’t heard any demands. It’s not uncommon for them to wait a little while if they intend to try and ransom them back to us. We’re still trying to track them down. We have some of their people that were captured in the attack, and a spy that had been placed here to gather intelligence, but they aren’t talking yet. As much as I want to use enhanced interrogation methods, I’m holding off on that for the moment, but not indefinitely.”

Barbara Stockdale leaned forward, wringing her hands. “Son, what can we do to help?”

“At this point, I’m hoping you all being here will help to improve spirits. When I addressed the pack following the attack, everyone rallied around those who have suffered a loss. We need to make sure those who are hurting get everything they need. I’d like you and Dad to work with the families directly affected by this.” Concern filled John’s eyes as he placed his hand over Craig’s. “I think your son-in-law is taking this the hardest. He doesn’t know what to do or what he can do. I had to convince him not to go wolf and run off in search of Aiden. Even though he has the Tucker family as his own, a lot of the pack has surrounded him to show he’s not alone in this. Aiden was his anchor to our world with Casey being a close second. At the moment, that anchor chain is broken and he’s adrift on a stormy sea. He’s not showing any emotions and seems to have shut down. There’s no response to anyone. You’re scent is similar to Aiden’s, so maybe you can get through to him. The lunis community is taking turns sitting with him for an hour or two at a time so the Tuckers can have some help.”

“Rafe’s been wanting us to meet the boy. I just wish meeting him for the first time wasn’t under such difficult conditions.” Kate Tucker dabbed her eyes with a tissue. Her mate, Weylin squeezed her hand.

“I know you’ve all had a long trip. Why don’t you go see your families and get some rest? We can meet later with the Council, and go over what we have so far. Mom, Dad, I think Jackie’s in the lounge if you want to go with her back to the house to rest a little. I hope you don’t mind the noise from the repairs. We’ve got quarters setup at the house for your driver as well.”

******

Two large, black SUV’s parked in the driveway of the Tucker house. Not recognizing the vehicles, Darius was immediately on alert. Cody came around the side of the house ready for anything.

Rafe rushed out the front door seeing the hunters preparing for a fight. “Guys, it’s okay. They’re guests. You can stand down.”

Approaching the vehicles, Rafe gave a hug to his dad as soon as the man’s feet were planted on the ground. Quickly going to the other side he pulled his mother into his arms. “Thank you both for coming.” Rafe turned his attention back to Darius. “These are my parents, and this other gentleman is Aiden’s father.”

Darius shouldered his rifle and walked over, offered his hand to the three older lycan. He dipped his head in respect to Craig, “It’s an honor to meet you Mister Jacobs. You’re son is an exceptional young man.”

The elder Jacobs nodded to the guard.

Weylin grabbed one of their bags out of the SUV. “It’s good to see you, Son. How’s everyone holding up?”

“I won’t lie. It’s been stressful, but we’re doing what we can. Maybe between Mom and Mary they can get Ethan to eat something or finally get some sleep.”

“You mean maybe the combined nagging of the two women will get him to eat. Those two in the same room are relentless.” Weylin nodded towards the obvious hunters. “Are you expecting more trouble?”

Rafe waved Cody over to join them, “Darius and Cody are assigned to provide security for Ethan. Since they refuse to leave until Aiden returns, it seemed the only option to keep them out of trouble with the Hunter Corps.”

Craig regarded the two men carefully. “Thank you for looking out for my son’s mate.” He extended his hand first to Darius. “A human and a coyote hunter dedicating themselves to the protection of one lycan? No offense intended, but it’s usually do the job and collect the paycheck for you guys.”

“No offense taken, sir. For now, I’ll just say, it’s complicated. Also, your son and his mate made us feel very welcome when we came here, and we consider them both very close friends. Though our duty is to the protection of the pack, a higher duty at the moment is to friends in need.”

The group made their way inside while Darius and Cody resumed their silent patrol of the area.

Mary greeted everyone at the door with hugs and kisses. Glancing over her shoulder towards the living room, the small body still faced the window. A lunis she-wolf was sitting at his side with an arm wrapped around him. Instead of the sapphire like brilliance his eyes normally possessed, they were hauntingly dark. There were bags under his eyes from lack of sleep. Outwardly, he appeared catatonic, too numb to feeling any more emotion for now; just a hollow and empty shell remained. Inwardly, he struggled to keep his wolf and gifts under control. Unable to cope with anything, he was trapped in a prison of his own making.

“He just sits there staring out the window most of the time. Jack, Ryan, and Zach have tried their best along with countless others, but he’s shut himself off completely. The only time he’s moved from that spot is the two times he’s shifted to wolf and went outside howling for Aiden. If it hadn’t been for the boys, Darius, and Cody, I think he’d have run off to try and find your son.”

Craig’s heart broke at the sight. He wanted to stay strong for his son-in-law, but the tears running down his cheeks could not be stopped. “Mary, do you mind if I go sit with him?”

“I think that would be good for both of you.”

The lunis who had been with Ethan got up to leave, getting a hug from Mary as she passed. Craig hesitated for only a moment before sitting beside his son’s mate. Placing an arm around the smaller body, he pulled the teen into a warm embrace. He knew whatever pain he was going through with his son missing, Ethan’s would be many times worse since it was his mate that was gone. Ethan’s gaze never left the window, nor did he noticed the slightly familiar scent beside him. Renewed tears ran down Craig’s face as he held onto his only connection to his missing son. The older Jacobs had seen the emotional struggles other lycan went through after losing their mate, some recovered, others ended up feral, and a few died from the loneliness in their heart. He whispered, “We’ll get him back.”

******

“Sir, about the prisoners.” One of the lower lieutenants was hoping to not anger his boss. “Some of the men were kind of hoping they could sample the merchandise and relieve a little tension after what happened. They’d also like to punish the prisoners for the losses we incurred.”

“Normally I’d say have at it and enjoy the spoils of war as they’re entitled to, but this screw up does not justify any type of celebratory actions. If they want to burn off a little tension and punish someone, I suggest they start drawing up numbers for the former first lieutenant that caused our losses. This situation continues to have the potential of blowing up in our face even more than the failed attack.” Jean-Pierre paced in his office, his hand raking through his hair. “We launched an attack against three packs at once with one of them being a major pack, not using enough manpower on any one to overwhelm its defenses, and failing to make the outcome worth the original financial risk.” The pacing stopped as his eyes bore into his subordinate. “Until I say otherwise, if any harm comes to the people in those cells, I will personally kill anyone involved.”

“Yes, sir. I’ll pass the word.”

“We have a shipment scheduled to go to Quebec tomorrow. Make sure the preparations are underway.”

“Yes, sir.” The lieutenant ran from the room.

******

Aiden heard the lock on his door being opened. “Sir, our alpha has requested you inspect the other prisoners before meeting with him. If you’d like to shower first, I’ll escort you. We also have some fresh clothes for you.”

“What about the others, are they being given this same courtesy?”

“Small groups will be taken to shower throughout the day.”

“Let’s go.” Aiden briefly thought about killing the escort and trying to escape, but he could smell another shifter outside the room, holding out his arms, the guard put the shackles on his wrists followed by his ankles.

He was led down a corridor and into a shower room. Once the door was secure, the shackles were removed and he undressed. After several days, the water felt good running over his body, even if it was a quick process. A prison type jump suit was provided before the shackles were replaced. Aiden was taken room to room where he spoke to each person, making a mental note on which of the three packs they were from. Some cells held one person, others had up to six. Everyone seemed to be healthy, but understandably scared. His partner and another deputy were being held away from the rest. They were in cells by themselves and heavily bound.

Aiden rushed to his partner’s side. “Bill, are you okay?”

“How’d you get out? I’m okay for not being able to move and having silver laced restraints used on me. Quick, see if you can get me free.”

“Three of their guards are behind me. I was told to check on everyone that was taken and make sure they’re okay.”

“You’re cooperating with them? Aiden, how could you?”

“I don’t consider trying to safeguard the lives of our people, cooperation. I am trying to stay calm and level headed so that I can best help. I’ll see if I can get them to remove the silver. Has it gotten to where you’re feeling sick from it yet?”

“Get out and let me be.”

Aiden turned and nodded to his guard. A hood was placed over his head and he was once again led through the labyrinth of passages before being pushed into a chair. He felt the chain to his shackles once again being connected before the hood was removed. Peering through the large window in the office, it looked down onto the fighting arena. There was a group of men surrounding someone. A few people outside the pit cheered at what was going on. From Aiden’s position it was difficult to see what was happening, though not difficult to imagine. Glancing back at his captor, he noticed Michael was in a small cage that served as a table next to Jean-Pierre’s chair. He could not help the grin at seeing his former pack mate was gagged this time.

“I’m guessing the pet store had a sale on muzzles.”

The rogue leader chuckled as he leaned back in his chair. “Deputy Jacobs. Thank you for joining me again. I trust you found everyone safe?”

“Yes, and thank you for that. My partner and the other deputy though are being subjected to silver as well as being immobilized. I don’t suppose there’s any way to ease that, even briefly, so they aren’t poisoned?”

“If he were willing to be a little more compliant and just sit quietly in his room, it would be possible. However, it’s doubtful that will be the case, though I will see what I can do.”

“Your pack or organization, whatever you want to call it, so far hasn’t lived up to the horror stories I used to hear growing up. That’s not a complaint and I’m very happy about it in fact.”

“For now at least, I’m keeping the worst elements of my people away from yours. I fully intended to attack if the right situation presented itself. For a pack of your size and strength, it presented certain challenges in logistics and manpower. The preferred outcome from any raid would be to rapidly go in, grab one or both of the alpha pair, and force a surrender or grab what resources we can.” Jean-Pierre waved his hand towards the arena. “One of my now former lieutenants issued the attack order while I was away on business. As the leader of this organization, the responsibility still falls on me for leaving him in charge during my absence. He’s currently receiving the treatment the prisoners would normally be subjected to. I won’t promise things will stay this way indefinitely. Nevertheless, it doesn’t change the fact this has turned into a more fluid situation than is preferred for either side.”

Aiden considered that last statement carefully. Was this gang leader asking for Aiden to help negotiate a resolution to this attack? “So I take it that’s a little gang-bang going on down there with the one who caused this situation as the guest of honor? I would imagine your lap dog is the one that put all this into motion.”

Jean-Pierre laughed. “Yes, the men need some way of working out their aggression, and it lets others know what happens if they cross me. If we’re still chatting when they’re done, I wouldn’t be surprised if you don’t get to see a feral fight. It’s one of the sports that’s offered for the patrons of our bar, and broadcast online through special channels. People will be placing bets on which feral will win and for now, the winning feral gets the former lieutenant as its prize.” He glanced between Aiden and Michael. “You two definitely don’t like each other. He’s been going on and on about you since he first came to us. Saw you as trying to take his birthright away from him in a power grab.” He very briefly saw surprise on the young lycan’s face before it returned to neutral. “Yes, he sought us out and offered to pay us to attack your pack, kill you, your mate, and your alpha. He wanted help reclaiming what he felt was his. I once thought every wolf had a place in a pack, but it didn’t take long to figure he wasn’t even worthy of being an omega. He did have money though, as well as other uses as you noticed last time. From a purely business standpoint, it would have been foolish to ignore the information he was providing us, though I felt the profit versus risk was a little too far into the risk side to proceed. Our only real interest was the trust fund he offered up as payment for helping him.”

“He must be disappointed he’s sitting in that cage and not the one tied up in the arena waiting for the winning feral.” Aiden glanced from Michael to the arena once more. “He attacked my mate on multiple occasions, and tried to get some of his friends to rape and kill my mate. The result was him getting exiled from the pack by his own father. No, I don’t like the little bitch, and given the chance I’d probably snap his neck. I actually regret not biting down when I had his throat in my jaws a few months ago.

“Over the last few years, he developed a bad habit of initiating challenges when he knew he wouldn’t win. Even my wolf doesn’t think he’s worth acknowledging. He used to be somewhat friendly when we were really young pups, but quickly turned to, ‘My dad’s the alpha so you have to do what I say’. We grew to have different outlooks on what it meant to be pack or to serve. Personally, I never had any interest in being alpha. If I was called upon to take that position for the sake of the pack, I would serve. If he’d stayed on the path he’d set for himself and became alpha, I would have either moved, or challenged him for control and likely killed him to protect everyone from him.”

“You’re an interesting young man, Deputy Jacobs. It’s obvious you’re a powerful lycan, yet you don’t seek power. You view leading as both service to others and duty. I actually admire that trait. It’s fitting you chose to become a deputy to help those around you.” The large man stretched, clasping his hands behind his head. “I’ll admit, I once believed in such noble ideas while growing up in a conventional pack. But groups like this became my home of sorts, and I moved up the ranks to take control. Finding those who don’t fit in or were abandoned by respectable packs wasn’t difficult, even if in most cases it was exploiting their loneliness and lack of a group to bring them around to my way of doing business. Lycan and humans alike have a taste for items people like me can provide with no questions, if the price is right. I know you’re loyal to your pack, but a wolf like you could go far in an organization like this.”

“All I want is to return home and enjoy my life with my mate and our friends. I may not fully understand or agree with your pack’s actions, but since we are predatory creatures I do understand the possible need for groups like this. Not everyone wants the same type of pack life, and you offer a vastly different take on it than we do. Though some might be here only because they had nowhere else to go. I guess in a way, you’re only considered rogue by not belonging to the Lycan Council.”

“Again, you impress me. Your Lycan Council wouldn’t exactly like having a pack openly engage in criminal activity. However, they are more than willing to channel merchandise through groups like us when it suits their needs and lines their pockets. They don’t mind the criminal element in a council pack when they keep it somewhat under wraps. An organization like mine simply can’t be tolerated when the politicians are giving their speeches asking for more funds to support the Council’s endeavors. In actuality, we aren’t that different from many officially recognized packs.

“There’s a certain animalistic thrill to attacking an opponent and taking what you want. When you’ve captured people, getting to take what you want from them as well. Merging the strong into your ranks and using the weaker wherever they’re needed. Rape, murder, extortion… You name it, they all have their place in portions of our world, even if most consider it abhorrent. For predators like us, forcing another to submit or simply taking by force, is a mainstay of many packs within the Lycan Council. Challenging an alpha to a death match for control, or as you pointed out, you challenging the bitch for control if he’d become alpha, could be considered murder in some societies.”

Aiden regarded his captor carefully. “You’re referring to the packs that will challenge a weaker neighbor, kill the alpha in a fight, and absorb the loosing side’s people and territory into their own? I’ve heard of that happening and the victorious side sometimes raping or murdering members of the loosing pack it doesn’t want to keep.”

“And it’s sanctioned because they’re members of the Council who pay their monthly dues to a governing body setup to avoid such situations.” Jean-Pierre waved his hands around the room. “Since we choose to only do business with them and not be a part of them, we’re rogues. In some cases, packs like that deal with an organization like mine to offload the unwanted members of the newly claimed pack to those willing to pay. Like wolves in the wild, we too will prey on our own kind if it’s an outsider to our pack. As such, if we choose, it is our right to sample those we acquire by force.” He stood and paced, occasionally glancing towards the arena. “In your case, the thought of fighting you, pinning you down, and taking a lycan of your strength by force, making you submit to me would be a major rush. It would be for any alpha that somehow managed to best you. Killing you is generally the easy part and I could do that now, but there would be no satisfaction in that. Making someone submit is the challenge. The ultimate victory would be merging you into our ranks as my lieutenant.”

Aiden managed a smile. “Why do I feel like I’m getting a combination recruiting speech with a philosophy and lycan civics lesson? Willful submission from someone is a reward unto itself. It shows their respect and dedication to you. Respectfully, forced submission presents an illusion. Does the person submit from respect or fear? In the end, does either matter if control is the end game?”

“I’ve missed having someone who can actually debate points of view with me. And you do it well.” Jean-Pierre nodded towards the window as two ferals were guided into holding cells at opposite ends of the arena. When the doors opened into the pit, they stalked towards one another. Both scented the air and picked up the former lieutenant marked as a bitch; he dripped front and back, from the gang members who used him as their bitch. The ferals would fight for the right to be the next to breed him. Both would end up being victorious in a way, it was just the animal way of drawing straws to see who went first. People were gathered around the pit placing bets on which one would win the match. Several monitors showed bets being placed online with the house cut at the bottom. Another monitor showed there were several more matches scheduled throughout the day.

He finally returned his attention to Aiden. “Perhaps you are. To open your eyes to other perspectives beyond the life you’ve always lived. By the way, he will be paying for his lapse in judgment and crimes against both our packs for some time. Before we finish here, one final question, Battlestar Galactica or Pegasus?”

“Tough choice, both were powerful. Galactica was old but well tested, a battle hardened warrior that always survived the fight. Pegasus was one of the newest and most powerful ships in the fleet. The apex of engineering, and considered the crown jewel though it had never seen battle. Tactically superior with abilities the older ship didn’t have. Perhaps if it had an intelligent commander it wouldn’t have been wasted on a fool’s mission.”

“We’ll talk more, Aiden, and next time Babylon 5 will be the topic. I will have the silver restrains removed from the two other deputies, at least for a while, as long as they behave.” Jean-Pierre gave a nod, and Aiden was returned to his room to ponder their discussion.

Back in his cell, he couldn’t help but feel his captor was toying with him in these conversations, but he would play this game as long as needed. His thoughts focused on two things, getting home to Ethan and finding a way to escape so he could get help for the others.

******

Craig was still holding Ethan when Mary walked into the room, sat on the edge of the coffee table in front of them, and spoke to Ethan. “I know you’re hurting worse than I can imagine, but it’s time for me to try pestering you again. You haven’t eaten or slept in three days. You need to keep up your strength, or you’re going to make yourself sick.”

Ethan eyes never moved when she spoke, it was the same hollow stare. He heard her on some level, but it was like she was speaking far off in the distance. He was hungry, but the way his emotions were, it didn’t register with him his body needed food. Anytime he tried to sleep, or even closed his eyes, all he dreamt of was Aiden in some dark room. It was like looking at a reflection in a pond, there but not quite real. At least now, when he could no longer keep his eyes open, the chains he had first seen were no longer on Aiden. He only had them when he was sitting in a chair talking to someone. He wondered if it was shackles like what was used on him.

“Craig, if we can’t get him to eat something today, I’m afraid we’re going to have to take him to the doctor to have a feeding tube put him or he could die of starvation.” Rafe shook his head at the thought.

Casey had kept quiet, mostly due to the guilt he felt at his brother having been taken while he was off getting laid. He did not know what to do, and let Ethan deal with his grief the way many mates did. However, he had finally reached his breaking point. Hearing his mother try again to get Ethan to eat, and his father talking about a feeding tube or him possibly dying, he knelt in front of his brother. “Ethan, we’ve let you be, sat with you, held you, made sure you knew you weren’t alone, and everything else we could think of to show you we care. I lost my best friend in that attack and it feels like I lost one of my brothers too since you’re shutting all of us out. It’s time for you to stop being selfish and realize that we need you right now just as much as you need us.” His voice gradually rose as he spoke, until he finally yelled. “I NEED YOU!” With that he stood up and stormed out hoping he didn’t make things worse.

Kate and Weylin looked on with sadness as their grandson went past them. They wanted to help their family, but were uncertain what they could actually do at the moment. Everyone knew what the loss of a mate could do to someone, and it appeared Ethan was on a tightrope over an abyss, where one slip could mean his loss to everyone. Weylin finally walked outside to find Casey. “Don’t beat yourself up too much for saying that to him. You needed to get it off your chest, and maybe it will help snap him out of the fog he’s in.”

“I’m just worried I made things worse, but I couldn’t stay quiet after hearing Mom and Dad say what they did about him needing to eat. He’s usually got the most incredible blue eyes you’ve ever seen on a person, human or lycan, but it’s like all the life in him is fading away as his eyes get darker and darker. It’s been three days he’s sat in there, not eating anything, and barely closing his eyes. He doesn’t even seem to realize when he shifts into his wolf and comes outside to howl, or goes back in where one of us has to dress him again. He’s my brother now and just as much my friend as his mate is.”

“Becoming an Enforcer and being the protector of someone, is about more than just defending them in a battle; sometimes it’s about helping them fight the battle within.” Weylin rested his hand on Casey’s shoulder for a moment before going back inside.

For the first time in days, there was a spark of life in Ethan’s eyes. It wasn’t the hollow, empty stare present since after the attack. He focused on Mary. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to shut everyone out. I miss him so much and don’t know how to deal with not knowing what’s happening to him. I want to go out and hunt these people down and make them pay.”

Craig, continued to hold the teen. “You don’t have to do this alone. We’re all here to help you, and in turn you can help us. We’ll get through this together, but what Mary and Rafe said is right. If you don’t eat or get some sleep, you’re hurting yourself and won’t be ready when it’s time to take the fight to them when we go get him back.”

Ethan’s stomach decided it was the appropriate time to chime in and began to grumble loudly, the first time in days it had done that. Mary gave a strained smile. “I’ll fix you some soup. Why don’t you come to the kitchen? Kate, would you give me a hand?”

******

Jean-Pierre sat considering his conversation with Aiden. He knew he would never get the young lycan onto his side since he was too loyal to his pack, and he had a mate there he would never live without. It was understandable why the alpha’s son considered him such a threat. He had to laugh when he thought the bitch even felt he was on the same level as the young deputy. Where he felt nothing but contempt and loathing for Michael, there was a level of respect and admiration for Aiden. There was something about the man that made him feel he was having a conversation with an equal for a change.

For now, he would hold off on doing anything to the prisoners. He was not going to contact their packs with ransom demands yet either; he could not just offer to return them without some type of compensation or he’d lose all credibility in the rogue community. Keeping a low profile and making sure his own defenses were in place seemed the best course of action for the moment. If more regional packs became involved in any hunt for him and his gang, it could turn out very bad. He doubted even the Lycan Council could shield his organization from such a mess. Picking up a book on the Japanese surrender at the close of World War II, he wondered if the surprise attack on the three packs would cause his own eventual defeat. Right now, the safety of the hostages was his only bargaining chip when the time came.

******

Darius took time away from security duty at the Tucker house every day to check in at the jail. He placed his chair in front of the cell holding the solaris prisoner, and the two men traded stares.

“You’re lucky to be working for such a generous pack. The forests around here are beautiful and the people here seem to be quite nice as well.” The prisoner waved his hands around. “Even the cell they keep me in is comfortable.”

“Yes, I am. And yes, they are.” Darius leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. “Most of the packs I’ve worked for have been full of wonderful people, but this one is exceptional. These people are my friends, and I hazard to say they’re becoming my family. You and your employer have hurt my friends.”

“I suppose in a way we’re both hired guns. I don’t mean that with any offense.”

“I suppose we are, and I mean no offense either. I’ve tried to take positions as a hired gun to safeguard life.”

“No offense taken. I know my surveillance and other activities have cost wolves and other shifters their lives in many places.” There was a hint of regret in the captive’s voice.

Darius sat quietly for a moment. “You have it in your power to assist the lives of those taken.”

“What have they done for our kind? We’re a dying species, viewed by the wolves as filth and scum. The enclave I grew up in was eradicated when a wolf pack found out what we were. You are the first of our kind I’ve seen in many years.”

“This pack, as well as my previous employer, knew about me and welcomed me with open arms, doing what they could to help me find other children of the sun. A newly mated pair of young wolves met me my first night here, along with a coyote who arrived at the same time. They introduced us to their friends and took us in, made us part of their clan. While I still want to find other solaris, I did find my home here. Our numbers may not be many in this country, but I doubt we are as close to extinction as some would suggest.”

“If it were not for my usefulness in stealth, I’m sure I would have been killed by wolves long ago looking to complete what their ancient gods demanded.”

“The war among the gods ended long ago. You’ve just been among the wrong shifters. After you pay for your crime, you could find new life within any number of packs like this one that respect all shifters. A first step towards atoning for those crimes would be helping us get back those we care about, including the mate to a very dear friend of mine.”

“I would not be surprised if this pack puts me to death for my crimes against them, but I will think on your words.” The older solaris leaned back against the cell wall as he fell silent.

******

Ethan walked unsteadily into the kitchen while Mary and Kate busied themselves cooking. Looking out into the backyard, he saw Casey sitting in the garden swing with his head in his hands. He headed outside to his friend. Casey was surprised to see Ethan up, and more so when his brother climbed on his lap like he usually did with Aiden. The smaller teen laid his head on his bigger brother’s shoulder.

“I’m sorry.” Ethan whispered.

“I’m sorry too. I just needed to do something to try and snap you out of it. I can’t lose both of you.” Casey held the blond tight.

Mary stuck her head out the door, catching Casey’s attention. He set Ethan on the ground as they walked back to the house. Mary set a small bowl of soup on the table for Ethan and another for Casey.

In the famly room, Rafe quietly talked with his parents.

“That poor boy. With everything you’ve told us about him and now to be going through this.” Kate glanced over her shoulder into the kitchen.

Rafe looked towards the same spot. “He’s stronger than most people give him credit for. Every day I see him, I’m proud Mary and I decided to adopt him. He fits in with the other boys perfectly. As far as they’re concerned, he’s their brother in every way that matters.”

“I’m proud of you, son.” Weylin rested a hand on Rafe’s shoulder. “Most lycan wouldn’t have opened up their home to a human. I’d have to say I’m probably one of them. Let alone adopt him, even if he did end up getting turned.”

“Casey brought him here for a reason beyond him being his best friend’s mate. Mary fell in love with him on sight. And me, well, he’s my son. The first time he called me Dad, even as a joke, I was as happy as the day each of the boys were born. All he wanted to do was work hard, and pull his own weight, and build a new life. It’s a joy watching him always trying to help others. When he’s gotten some food in him, I’ll introduce you to your grandson.”

Running with the Pack, WolfM, 2012-2016, All Rights Reserved
  • Like 92
  • Love 53
  • Sad 11
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It seems there's even more to Ethan than we thought. Even though Jean-Pierre is making some points on things, I still can't wait for him to get his tail kicked, hopefully by Ethan.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I can't wait to see how this works out. Ethan definitely needs to tell about the dreams maybe after he eats things will click in

  • Like 5
Link to comment

This is one of the best chapters in the book.  Your development of Jean-Pierre is phenomenal.  He is one of the most interesting and intriguing antagonist I have ever seen in literature.  I almost want to find out his story before this ends. I would recommend his own book, except it would be so dark and without a HEA ending that I would not want to read the story. His dialogue with Aiden was so compelling!  The other interesting antagonist, solaris "Paul", also deserves his own story, but hopefully it will be a happy ending.

Once again, Casey is a hero as he challenges Ethan out of the stupor Ethan is in and gets him back into action.  Mary, Craig, and Ethan's friends are there for support, but it is Casey who makes the difference.  Fabulous chapter! 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 4/19/2022 at 7:37 AM, raven1 said:

This is one of the best chapters in the book.  Your development of Jean-Pierre is phenomenal.  He is one of the most interesting and intriguing antagonist I have ever seen in literature.  I almost want to find out his story before this ends. I would recommend his own book, except it would be so dark and without a HEA ending that I would not want to read the story. His dialogue with Aiden was so compelling!  The other interesting antagonist, solaris "Paul", also deserves his own story, but hopefully it will be a happy ending.

Once again, Casey is a hero as he challenges Ethan out of the stupor Ethan is in and gets him back into action.  Mary, Craig, and Ethan's friends are there for support, but it is Casey who makes the difference.  Fabulous chapter! 

Thank you for the wonderful compliment, Raven. :)  In the edit and rewrite, Carlos kept trying to get me to simplify things and I kept adding with Jean-Pierre. He was more fun for me then I planned.

Casey is probably the only person other than Aiden who could have brought Ethan out of it.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment

IF Ethan gets some food and some rest, I wonder how long it will take him to realize that his dreams are seeing the real Aiden?

I'm also wondering how long it's gonna take JP to realize that Aiden is Alpha?

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
14 hours ago, Al Norris said:

IF Ethan gets some food and some rest, I wonder how long it will take him to realize that his dreams are seeing the real Aiden?

I'm also wondering how long it's gonna take JP to realize that Aiden is Alpha?

JP's on the cusp of that realization. He feels like he's talking to an equal and can tell he's dealing with a powerful wolf.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

This chapter is so full of love and pain, and can we have hope! So is so darn powerful with his powers is he in fact seeing his beloved I would hope so! Thanks so much for writing this remarkable story!:thankyou::2thumbs:

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 2/10/2023 at 5:19 PM, Albert1434 said:

This chapter is so full of love and pain, and can we have hope! So is so darn powerful with his powers is he in fact seeing his beloved I would hope so! Thanks so much for writing this remarkable story!:thankyou::2thumbs:

Thank you, Albert. Your reaction, and that of the other readers, to this chapter is more than I could have hoped for when I first wrote it.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
14 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

Ethan you need to build up your strength so when the time comes you can unleash hell on earth:yes:

I'm sure he could do just that and more.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..