Jump to content
    WolfM
  • Author
  • 5,601 Words
  • 15,157 Views
  • 32 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Running with the Pack - 16. Chapter 16

The knowledge Michael and the others would remain locked up provided Ethan with a sense of relief. He was happy his primary attacker was not going to be on the streets looking for him again, at least not for a while. He hoped some kind of peace could be reached in whatever the issue was between them. Aiden kept telling him it was not that simple; he did not think it was anything that could really be settled like with Tyler, Connor, or Kevin. He explained how Michael had thought for years he was above everyone and everything. If the alpha or his wife were around, their son acted like the perfect young pup; as soon as they were out of sight and ear shot, he reverted to an arrogant ass. Tormenting those he could, going after weaker wolves and humans alike to make himself feel stronger. The illusion of duty to the pack he let his father see was what got him placed on the leadership campout with Aiden.

******

The courses Aiden was taking had gone to half days during the summer. It was a little more in depth than the police academy classes the occasional human received; lycan cadets also had to learn about pack and Lycan Council law. With the heat of the season, Rafe had his crew work less as well. Mainly so the human sub-contractors that worked for him didn’t have problems from the heat. Ethan enjoyed working and it kept his mind off things, but he also enjoyed getting to spend more time with his boyfriend.

Aiden came by after work on Monday. “Hey, Pup.” He hugged Ethan and gave him a kiss. “Let’s go for a drive.”

“Where we going?”

“Someplace.” A mischievous smile crossed the rugged face.

Ethan shrugged and happily followed his boyfriend. Aiden had the top off his beloved Jeepster Commando, surprising his pup. They both enjoyed the feel of the wind in their hair as they drove to Parker. They headed to the far side of town where Aiden pulled up to a mini-golf course and parked. His pup looked skeptically at him, but followed the larger teen into the park. They paid for two rounds, picked up their clubs, and headed to the first tee.

“I’ve never done this before.”

Aiden grinned ear to ear. “Despite what the pros think, the only real golf is mini-golf. If you’re not trying to put the ball through a windmill or castle, what’s the point?”

Ethan went way over par the first couple of holes. Aiden helped by showing him how to line up; standing behind his pup, and assisting him with putting. They were having a blast and Aiden got to be in close contact with his mate.

“Give it a shot, Pup.”

“Okay.” Ethan smiled devilishly. “I’m gonna smoke your ass on this hole.”

“I can think of a lot of things I wouldn’t mind you doing with my ass. Smoking it isn’t one of them.”

Ethan’s mouth gaped, unable to form words.

“If you keep holding your mouth open like that I might have to find something to fill it.” Aiden reached for his zipper.

Ethan dropped the ball at the tee, but kept glancing at the larger teen. Aiden smiled innocently, until his mate regained his composure. His pup managed to catch up in the par count, and was only a few strokes behind Aiden. On the last hole, he set aside his usual competitiveness, and went way over par allowing his blond mate to pull ahead and win.

“So do I get to kiss the winner?”

“You let me win, but you can still kiss me.” Ethan stood on his toes to receive his kiss.

There was also an arcade at the park, so they went inside to check it out. It was filled with all kinds of games including several multi-player racing and shooting games. Buying a handful of tokens, Aiden steered them towards a shooting one. Standing next to each other, they dropped in the required amount of tokens and waited for the game to start. Aiden hit every target without any trouble. When Ethan’s turn began, he missed most of the shots, but he had little experience.

“Well, no chance of you trailing me in a game like this. So, do I get to kiss the winner now?”

“You know how much I love chasing your cute little ass.” Aiden hungrily licked his lips. “Yep, I think the winner deserves a kiss.”

“What’s with you today?” Ethan giggled. “You do realize I was the one chasing your hot ass most of the game, as well as during golf.”

“I’m feeling frisky for some reason, I guess.”

“Feeling frisky? If you get any more frisky I’m going to have to hose you down. Or put a collar and leash on you to get you under control.”

“As long as I get belly rubs and ear scratches, we can discuss a collar. I’m always ready for you to hose me down.” Aiden waggled his eyebrows.

Ethan’s mouth gaped once more; feeling the effects from what his boyfriend was saying, and being unsure how to respond.

“I warned you once about leaving your mouth open like that. I think I have just the thing to fill it up nicely.” His hand gripped the growing bulge in his shorts.

Feeling flush, Ethan took a few deep breaths to calm his increasing horniness. “Let’s try some of the other games.”

“Not the game I was hoping for, Pup. But it’ll do for now.”

Feeding in the last of their tokens for a final multi-player, street-race game, they waited for it to start. They both concentrated on what they were doing. In the end, Ethan managed to pull out a fair and honest victory. With their tokens spent, they decided to check out the stores at a nearby strip mall.

“So, what did you think?” Aiden ran his hand through the back of his pup’s hair.

“It was fun. Though I think the way you were talking could be considered cheating. Definitely distracting.”

“All’s fair in mini-golf and video games.” Aiden smiled with his best innocent look.

“Tell you what, since you lost the last game, when we get someplace private I can get your consolation prize. I promise to swallow every drop.”

Now it was Aiden’s turn to flush as he grabbed his pup’s hand. “To hell with private. I think there’s a bathroom nearby we can use for that.”

At the strip mall, they walked around, going into a few of the stores before going into a frozen yogurt shop. Tyler was behind the counter reading a book.

“Hey, guys. How are you doing today?”

“Hey, Tyler.” The response was simultaneous.

“We’re good. I didn’t realize you worked here.” Aiden was suddenly aware he did not know much about this person he grew up around.

“I’ve been doing this since graduation. The hours are good, and it helps cover my classes at the community college.”

They made small talk while the couple had their snack. Finishing, they said their goodbyes to Tyler. After walking around a little more, they went back to Aiden’s for some private cuddle time.

******

The next few days seemed to pass by quickly. After work, the couple would hang out, and either walked around town or would go hiking. They even went riding at Alex and Nathan’s farm. Towards the end of the week, they went off-roading with Casey. It made Ethan happy to include the big guy as much as possible, since he had been pushed to the sidelines now that Aiden had a boyfriend. With Trevor away at college, there were times Casey looked lonely. Ethan knew his new brother and boyfriend were best friends and did not want to come between them. Plus, he liked hanging out with Casey.

Ethan thought Casey was driving like a madman on the dirt roads, but the big guy proved he knew every turn, dip, and bump. They had a blast, and came out of the forest on the far side of Parker Lake. Aiden had not brought Ethan there yet. Casey mentioned there was a large park area on the other side, and some vacation homes scattered around the rest of the shore.

“This place is cool.” Standing at the water’s edge, Ethan took in the beauty of his surroundings. “Thanks for bringing us out here, Big Guy.”

“No problem, Little Man.” Casey skipped a rock out over the water

“You didn’t mind his crazy driving to get here?” Aiden prostrated himself, pretending he was kissing the ground.

“Naw, it was kinda like being on a roller coaster. Maybe a little scary, but a good kind of scary.” Ethan tried mimicking what Casey did only getting two or three skips from his rock before it sank. “I wish Trevor was around to come along.”

“He’s been busy with summer classes, Pup. But he should be finished soon, and have a couple weeks break before fall semester start.”

Casey tossed another rock that skipped seven times. They took turns to see how far they could get and how many skips. Even against Aiden’s competitive nature, Casey was definitely the best at it.

At about the same time, Aiden and Casey dropped the rock they held and scanned their surroundings. They sniffed the air, picking up the scent of something on the breeze.

Casey was the first to speak. “Trouble and the truck isn’t safe enough.” He moved closer to the couple, taking up a protective stance, while kicking off his shoes and yanking off his shirt. “Ethan, get in the water now and get as deep as you can over behind those rocks.”

“Why? What’s going on?” Fear filling him as he watched Casey shift into his wolf even before removing the rest of his clothes.

“No time to explain. Please, Pup. Just do it. And stay as still and quiet as you can over there. Whatever you do, try not to make a sound.” Aiden dropped into his shift having only gotten his shoes and shirt off, shredding the pants in the transition.

Ethan did as told, and hid behind a group of rocks about thirty feet from shore. Almost completely submerged in the water, he peered around the rock he was behind, watching as Aiden and Casey lowered their ears and heads. The fur on their backs stood up, and they bared long, sharp teeth. He saw movement at the tree line.

A large beast emerged from the forest’s cover about a hundred yards from the duo. Even though it had a wolf-like head, it did not look anything like Aiden or Casey. The body was huge and covered in thick, dark-grey fur. It rose up to stand on its hind legs pacing back and forth, lifting its head scenting the air. Instead of front legs, his limbs appeared more like arms, and the paws resembled hands with razor sharp claws. Taking a few steps closer, it locked its eyes on Aiden and Casey, before its gaze seemed to focus between the two wolves at a point in the water. It was looking directly at Ethan’s location.

Ethan was terrified for his boyfriend and their friend. He wished it was possible to become invisible. As his fear grew, so did the blue glow in his eyes. A thin layer of fog began to form on the surface of the lake, surrounding him and spreading in all directions. The beast threw its head back, and let out a howl. It resumed stalking back and forth, while watching the two wolves. They had moved apart, with Aiden placing himself between the beast and Casey, leaving his friend as Ethan’s last line of defense. The creature seemed to become more agitated, as though it wanted to move forward but was blocked by the two wolves before it. Ethan was so focused on it, he never noticed the gentle lapping of the lake against the rocks stop as the surface of the water froze. The fog extending out from Ethan continued to build and thicken, hiding him under its thick veil.

The monster gave one last howl and dropped onto all fours, charging at the two wolves. Ethan’s mind was in absolute panic for his two protectors. He knew they were strong wolves, but did not know if it was enough to take this huge thing resembling a movie werewolf. The glow of his eyes grew ever brighter as the dense fog moved onto the shore, blocking out much of the sun’s light. The heavy vapor first obscured the beast’s view of the two wolves and quickly enveloped the thing itself in an impenetrable cloud, making it impossible for it to see. The creature, blinded by the murkiness, stumbled over a rock and crashed to the ground before it could reach its target.

No matter how thick the fog became, Ethan could still see all three wolves with ease. With a loud crashing sound, the ice on the lake shattered. Unlike at the bridge where it fashioned small pieces meant to drive off the attackers, this time it produced large, dagger-like chards as sharp as any bladed weapon. With extreme speed, they hurled towards the fog-shrouded beast, flying around the two wolves who felt and heard something passing by their bodies. There was a deafening howl from the beast, before all became still and quiet.

As the mist dissipated, it became evident the beast was dead. The body was riddled with ice daggers; some had passed completely through it, with one especially large piece entering at its throat and lodging in the skull. The force of the ice hitting it had thrown the heavy wolf-like creature back several yards.

Aiden peered towards the water and saw his mate floating face up on the surface. His powerful wolf ran towards the shore, shifted back to human mid run, and swam to reach Ethan. Casey also shifted and dove in trying to help. They pulled him close enough so Aiden could pick him up and carry him back to the truck. The two checked him over as best they could. Ethan was breathing fine; he just seemed to be out cold. After a few minutes, his eyes opened.

“He’s coming around.” Casey held his friend’s shoulder.

Ethan felt a little dizzy, but otherwise okay. “What happened? What was that thing?” His voice sounded groggy.

“That was a feral lunis wolf, and if I’m not mistaken, you just saved our asses from it.” Aiden held his mate tight. “Those are the lycan wolves that sparked the werewolf stories.”

“Holy shit. Whatever just happened, that’s all I have to say.” Casey rose and went to grab his phone out of the truck. “Dad. We’re out at Lynnwood Cove. We ran into a feral lunis. Before you ask, everyone’s fine except for the lunis. You’ll need the coroner for it.”

I’m on my way, and I’m calling the alpha and sheriff.”

“Dad’s on his way and he’s gonna notify everyone he needs to.” Casey informed his friends.

“How are you feeling?” Concern for his mate was obvious in Aiden’s voice.

Ethan reached up to touch his boyfriend’s cheek. “I’m okay, I think. I feel a little dizzy but other than that…”

“Well, I guess we know what caused those water drops around us last weekend.”

Casey’s eyes panned between the two. “What are you talking about? What did you mean about him saving us? Has this happened before?” The accusation evident that his friends might have been keeping something from him.

“Not this exactly. Though it might be how he fended off five wolves on the bridge. Without getting so much as a scratch on himself.” Aiden brushed a few stray hairs out of his mate’s eyes. “We were making out last weekend next to a stream, and it looked like hundreds of water drops were dancing in the air around us. It was like we were surrounded by diamonds when the sun hit them. That is, until I distracted him. Then we got soaked from them falling on us.”

“That fog was cool the way it surrounded us. I’m guessing it couldn’t see us since we couldn’t see it. It must have been the ice I felt flying past me. There’s no way any of that just naturally happened. If he did that, it seems pretty evident that he can control water in some way. It’s freaky as hell, but so damned cool. We would’ve both taken some damage if it reached us. When you say your mate’s special you don’t joke around.” Casey tried joking to lighten the mood, and not think of the implications of what happened.

“What do you mean if I did that? It couldn’t have been me, there has to be some other explanation. You were there both times something happened, maybe it’s you.” Ethan was quiet for a moment as his mind went into overdrive, trying to understand what they were saying.

“Yes, I was there two times, but I wasn’t there at the bridge when you fought off five wolves without getting hurt.”

“How could it be me if I don’t know I’m doing something? If I did do this, how do I control it?” His mind seemed to shut down at the thought of what Aiden and Casey were saying about him. It was too much to handle. He could not process it, and began crying over and over. “It couldn’t have been me, I’m just a human. The doctor said so.”

Aiden peered into Ethan’s eyes with concern. He did not know how to help his pup with this, and was in shock his mate might not be so human after all. He briefly wondered if this was how Ethan felt when he had first shifted from wolf to human in front of him. “He’s special alright. All that matters is he’s my mate and he’s safe. By the way, thank you for protecting him and sending him into the water so quick.”

“No problem, just doing my job as his bodyguard. I think I’ve got some spare clothes in the truck. I don’t think anything we had on below the waist will be salvageable. Not that I mind being naked around a couple good looking guys.” His attempt at humor fell flat, as his longtime friend did not even notice.

Casey grabbed shorts out of the truck, tossed one to his friend, and the two dressed while they waited for Rafe and the others. Aiden gently rocked his pup in his arms as Ethan sobbed, and Casey looked on helplessly.

******

It took nearly an hour for Rafe and the others to arrive at the cove.

He jumped out of the sheriff’s truck before it fully stopped and ran to the boys. “Are you sure you’re all okay?”

“Yeah, Dad. We’re fine.”

Aiden nodded, and then glanced at Ethan whose eyes were glazed over, empty, and emotionless.

The alpha and sheriff walked over to inspect the feral. They both noted the heavy damage to the body and could tell it did not come from wolves fighting. The huge hole passing through its chest was proof enough of that. All the ice had melted, but the body was still wet.

Dan kept his voice down so only the alpha would hear him. “Okay, John. I know this wasn’t caused by those two and I don’t see any sign of weapons around.” His eyes grew wide as he thought about the bridge incident and came to the only possible conclusion. “Ethan?”

“I was hoping to not have this conversation yet, but it seems like now is the time. Wait until after your team’s left.”

A few minutes later, the retrieval crew arrived with a tracker. The sheriff issued simple orders. “Bag it, tag it, and get it over to the clinic. I want you to follow its trail and make sure it was alone. Call in hunters if needed.”

John and Dan joined the others. “So, everyone’s okay here?” John looked them over, noticing Ethan’s hollow expression.

“Yes, Alpha.” Aiden replied for the three of them. “We’re all physically fine at least. Casey protected my mate, and got him to safety.”

Rafe beamed with fatherly pride for his son.

“I just told him to get in the water to cover his scent. Aiden’s the one that took point to defend us, though he wouldn’t have been fighting it alone.”

John waited until the tracker was well out of earshot, and the other team had departed with the body. “I guess we need to discuss what happened. Both here and at the bridge.”

“What do you mean, Alpha?” Aiden tried to act like nothing unusual had happened, a little scared to let anyone know how special he thought Ethan really was.

“Look. No one’s in trouble for anything here. I know a wolf didn’t do that kind of damage. I’m pretty sure we have Ethan to thank for taking care of that feral.”

Rafe stared at his friend like he was crazy. “Alpha, you can’t be serious. You think Ethan killed that lunis?”

John nodded indicating that was exactly what he thought. “If my suspicions are correct, and there seems to be reasonable evidence now to back it up my theory. It appears highly likely our young friend here might be more special than anyone realizes. I think Ethan is what some in ancient times called an Elemental. Possibly something akin to an Undine or a Being of Water. I think there are a couple other names like Druid or Shaman that could apply as well. Elemental is a good enough description for now at least. Ultimately, it is impossible for us to know for sure. This is guess work based on what we’ve seen happen so far, and from old writings.” He took in the stunned expressions all around him.

“Elementals are something out of legend and myth that are said to be able to manipulate or control the elements. In his case, it would appear to be water. I don’t know if he has or will have the ability to call on other elements as well. I know his eyes give off a blue glow at times, which was mentioned in at least one ancient text talking about Elementals. Two of us saw them glowing when the elders shared the stories of lycan history.

“Given the feral was rather wet, unless it went into the water and you boys dragged it that far from the shore, I’m guessing Ethan formed ice and used it as a weapon to kill the feral. I’m also guessing that’s what happened on the bridge from the description of something like glass flying up and driving the five wolves off.”

Ethan had been quiet this entire time, and finally seemed to snap out of his haze as his mind focused on what was being said. “This is crazy. I’m just a human. Doctor MacRae said so himself.” His voice ended in a whisper. It was then what the alpha said hit him like a brick wall, causing his stomach to churn. “Wait a minute. They never said… So I… It’s dead? You’re saying I killed it?” It was one thing to have Aiden and Casey talk about saving them, but no one specifically said the beast was dead. It was overwhelming to have the alpha talking about what happened, and giving it a name. Hearing him say he had killed something that big was too much. He forced his way out of Aiden’s arms and took off running, his mind telling him to flee.

Aiden followed and quickly caught up with him as his pup dropped to his knees near the tree line, vomiting. Ethan was in tears, whispering over and over. “I’m just a human. I couldn’t have killed it. You’re the special one. I don’t want to be a monster that kills things.”

“Ethan, I don’t care about anything other than you being my mate, my pup, and the one who makes me whole. In those things, you’re the most special person on the planet to me. Anything else you might be beyond that doesn’t matter. It still doesn’t change the fact the alpha’s probably right. You did save me and Casey today. And you somehow defended yourself on the bridge. There’s no other explanation. It had to be you since you’re the only one who was at all three places something happened. If you hadn’t killed it, Casey and me would have had to fight it. That thing could have seriously hurt or killed any of us.”

Rafe and Dan were asking the alpha questions about his thoughts on Ethan’s nature when Casey finally spoke up. “If you’d seen what happened you wouldn’t have any doubts. A thick fog moved off the lake when the feral charged us from the tree line. It must have surrounded it too. We heard it stumble and fall over that big rock. There was a loud bang behind us, and I heard and felt something flying past me. It had to have been the ice heading for the lunis. When the fog cleared, it was lying there dead with big chunks of ice stuck in it.”

“I still find it hard to believe that someone could control something like water. It sounds like magic.” Dan ran his fingers through his hair.

“Says the man that can turn from human to wolf at will.” The alpha countered. “There are a lot of things in our legends that are as magical as us or more so. The fact we’ve never seen them doesn’t change the fact they could be real. Regardless of what he is or might be, until I say otherwise, this is not to be spoken of to anyone. Not even to family members.”

“Yes, Alpha,” they all responded.

Aiden guided his pup to the water’s edge and helped him wash up before returning to the group. John watched Ethan with concern, and Aiden shook his head not knowing if his mate was going to be okay or not. Ethan’s eyes were bloodshot from tears, and his nose was running.

“Do you really think I’m one of those Elemental things you said? Or one of those other things?”

“Well, I’ve never heard of an Elemental actually existing beyond some of the old legends. From the genetic tests the doctor had done on you when you first came here, we know your ancestral background is Celt, which falls in line with where Druids existed. Legends of the Druids say they were able to call on the forces of nature, while a Shaman can call on the forces of the elements. It’s kind of the same description for two different things. For lack of a better definition of your apparent abilities at this point, it seems likely.” John paused to let that sink in a little. “I know this is going to be confusing for you, and I wish there was something we could do to help you with it. This is going to be kept quiet at least for now. We have no way to train you, accurately identify what you are, or help you learn what you might need to know. Knowledge of your abilities could put you, and possibly the pack at risk. Even though you seem able to instinctually protect yourself, and those you care about, I want you to use caution in where you go.”

The thought of a security issue was something the sheriff needed to address. “John, I know we talked about this already, and you said he’s no threat to the pack. What risk are you talking about? Also, what if he were to lose control of whatever it is he does? I’m sorry Ethan, as beta I have to ask this. It’s nothing personal.”

“You’re using my given name in front of someone other than Rafe? This must have really rattled you, Dan.” John teased his longtime friend. “No. He’s no threat at all to the pack. Or to anyone else for that matter. Unless those people became a threat to him.” The alpha stared intently at Ethan. “The risk is if outsiders find out, and try to take him for their own use. Ethan, you need to remember, this is your home now. This pack is your family, and will always stand with you.”

“It scares me to be told I might not be what I thought I was. I just want to be human with a lycan boyfriend for now. You guys are the special ones that can change into something else.” Ethan frowned as he suddenly became worried and turned towards his boyfriend. “Will I still be able to become Aiden’s mate? Is that why I wasn’t turned when I got bit before? Does this mean I can’t be turned?”

“You’re already my mate.” Aiden’s voice was forceful as he pulled Ethan against his chest. “We just haven’t made it official by completing the mating.”

“Relax, Aiden.” The alpha shifted his attention to Ethan, and made sure the teen was looking him directly in the eyes. “The tests the doctor ran on you after my son bit you showed you’re immune to the bite of a lycan.” Ethan got a panicked expression on his face, fearing he could not be with Aiden now. “With the exception being only Aiden could ever turn you. So to answer your question, there should not be any issue. It proves that much more you and Aiden were born to be together.” John placed a hand on both their shoulders.

“Casey, why don’t you two take him home?” Rafe suggested.

******

In the truck, Aiden sat in the back with Ethan. “Are you going to be okay, Pup?”

“I don’t know. I’m just kind of feeling numb about it all. This morning I was just a human. Now I’m some mythical creature. I don’t know what to believe or even think. It’s hard to believe I killed that wolf. Even before I met you, wolves were my favorite animal. Special to me for some reason. And I just killed one.” He began to cry again.

Casey glanced in the mirror at his two friends. “I hate to break it to you, Little Dude, but if you ever get around to letting him bite you, you’ll still end up a mythical creature. Only difference now is you can do some really cool shit. If you actually figure out how to do it. Pretty safe to say as the alpha pointed out about you being destined for Aiden’s mate. That’s probably why you loved wolves so much, and also why you never show fear around us.”

******

“Rafe, you’ve been awfully quiet through all this.” John placed a hand on his friend’s shoulder.

“It doesn’t really matter to me one way or the other. He’s family now. I see him as my son just as much as if it was by blood. And even though it’s not official yet, he’s pack. Everyone came through a feral encounter untouched without the aid of a hunter. Considering it was a lunis, it’s pretty remarkable.”

“Your thoughts, Dan?”

“John, do you really think it’s possible he is an honest to goodness Elemental, Druid, or Shaman?” Dan paused a moment. “I know I’ve heard of them in mythology, but never believed they could possibly be real. Before you even say it, yeah, I know there are a lot of people who wouldn’t believe we’re real either.”

“Yes, I do believe he is. Do I know this for a fact? No, I don’t. Do I know if he’s one of those three, two of them, or a combination of all? No, not in the slightest. What I know of the old legends, it seems the most reasonable explanation given what’s happened. He is something from those myths. I think as he comes into his own, his understanding of what he is and how it works will come to him. That’s my hope at least. But it seems to be true so far with his ability to defend himself. You asked about him losing control and hurting others. On the bridge, his defense was very measured. Designed to only repel, without actually doing serious harm. I’m curious if it would have been the same knowing what they planned to do to him. Today the danger appeared more serious to him, and the response matched the threat to him and his friends.”

Dan asked one final question no one knew the answer to. “Is there any chance the increased feral activity lately could be in some way related to Ethan? This is the third one we’ve had since the bridge incident and this one managed to get fairly deep into the territory without being detected.”

“I highly doubt it. But just to be safe, I want to increase the number of hunters out patrolling. This one definitely got too deep into the territory for comfort.”

******

When they got home, Mary was anxiously waiting for them. “Are you boys alright?”

“Yes, Mom. We’re all fine. Not even a scratch.” Casey assured her.

“Go wash up. Dinner will be ready as soon as your father gets home.”

Upstairs, they took turns cleaning up. Casey found an extra shirt for Aiden to wear.

Ethan sat on his bed, leaning against his boyfriend. Strong arms wrapped around him, protecting him from the emotions swirling through his mind.

Running with the Pack, WolfM, 2012-2016, All Rights Reserved
  • Like 102
  • Love 47
  • Wow 14
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Awesome Chapter. Finally somebody sees the power Ethan can wield. Fortunately so far it has been for defense. I am looking forward to finding out what Ethan will look like as a wolf. Again thank you for sharing your awesome story

  • Like 5
Link to comment

The Mystery deepens and the plot thickens.... Something tells me that there is a lot more trouble on the horizon for Ethan and the Pack... But having seen what Ethan can do, something tells me that he will do everything he can to defend the pack from that danger...

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Druid/elemental explains a lot; that it with the horse from last chapter might nail down exactly which one he is. I think he should be converted soon, for his own safety. Although he can protect himself, if he is converted, it adds another layer of protection.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 12/12/2015 04:08 PM, centexhairysub said:

Well, so much going on in this chapter; I don't hardly no where to start... Great job on the writing and flow, not only this chapter but the whole story.

 

Another feral well into pack territory; have to wonder what is up about that, I thought Michael might have been behind the first two but something tells me it isn't him after all. Love how Aiden and Casey did everything to protect Ethan, even when they were obviously not sure they could take the feral lunis wolf. Are the lunis wolves that much stronger? Would the Alpha be able to take one? My impression from the story was that Aiden was probably the strongest wolf at least physically from his generation, should he have not been able to stand up to the feral attacker?

 

Well, we finally got the Alpha's take on what Ethan is and I think he is on the right track. I still think Ethan's powers more closely resemble druidic ability more than anything else. Ethan will have to be willing to accept what he is in order to fully come into his powers however. Until he does, his defensive abilities may continue to develop but his offensive ones will not manifest themselves much. I wonder who they will find to really train him; will someone on the level above the local Alpha know who to get help from?

 

Worried that Ethan is getting a little to dependent on Aiden and what he thinks, he will have to stand on his own at some point and make a few decisions for himself. I hope he can find the inner strength that you know is just below the surface.

 

Can't wait for the next chapter, keep up the great work...

Thank you Centex :)

Aiden from his mating instincts will always try to protect Ethan and for Casey it's a sense of duty. It wouldn't matter with knowing Ethan can protect them all, they would still try. Aiden is the strongest and largest wolf of his generation and a very formidable wolf. He could probably have taken the lunis wolf on his own without trouble, especially to protect his mate and with the help of Casey would improve the odds. A lunis and lupus wolf are pretty evenly matched, even if the lunis is in its larger lunar form. The catch is with it being feral. That adds a level of unpredictability of a wild animal that makes it exceptionally dangerous.

The Alpha's thoughts on Ethan are based on myths and legends he's read. It'd doubtful they could find anyone to actually train Ethan, though you never know. The druidic abilities would give him a mastery of nature, the way the horse reacted to him for example, Elemental abilites (or shaman) would give him control of things like freezing water to use it as a weapon but either name seems to overlap (I kind of base the two or three entities on some of the forums from WoW but it's up to the interpretation of the reader)

Ethan is dependent on Aiden, but only from the standpoint of he's rebuilding a life and a lot of the simple things we take for granted have not been part of his life. He's relearning how to be around people and he does like being cuddled and held by his mate.

As always, I love seeing your comments and thank you so much for this.

  • Like 3
  • Wow 2
Link to comment
On 12/12/2015 03:07 PM, Ozymandias said:

This story just gets better and better. Thanks for your great work.

Thank you Ozy :)

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Great chapter. I'd have liked the boys to give him some explanation as to how Lunis were created or why they were like rabid animals. did they exist as more sentient creatures like the weres? I'm really touched at how much Rafe and moreso, the Alpha, is so quick to defend Ethan and pledge their protection. I don't get the feeling it is for what Ethan could do for them either. I just can't imagine that the team that bagged and tagged it isn't going to remark on it not looking like a fight with the wolves killed it and about the beast being wet. It could lead to people seeing the similarities between the events surrounding the bridge and this. Poor Ethan was so upset. I'd have thought it would have at least made him feel good that he may have saved his mate's life and those of Casey and himself too. I will be very surprised if Aidan doesn't decide to live with him at this point. he should be around to help his mate through this and protect his mate. I think it is time they cohabitate. The idea that he couldn't complete the mating upset Ethan so much so it is clear that he feels deeply enough about him to live with him.
As for the increase in ferals and whether they're attracted to Ethan...it would be surprising only b/c the animals that have come to him have always wanted to help him and honor him almost. I don't feel like it would draw animals to him that want to destroy him...that said, we don't know if the Lunis wanted to get to Ethan to hurt him. It may have wanted to cuddle with him. lol It really was attacking the guys for blocking his way to Ethan, not ethan himself. I do wonder. I don't know why ferals from god knows where would be called to him...wouldn't all animals be feeling a draw to him, including the other weres? This is all getting really good so keep it up!!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 12/12/2015 01:03 PM, avidreadr said:

Druid/elemental explains a lot; that it with the horse from last chapter might nail down exactly which one he is. I think he should be converted soon, for his own safety. Although he can protect himself, if he is converted, it adds another layer of protection.

I kind of feel a cross between the two best describes him. He shares abilities with both and will learn to combine them. It will give another level of protection and he'll be able to run with his mate ;)

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 12/12/2015 11:44 AM, TylorD43 said:

Awesome Chapter. Finally somebody sees the power Ethan can wield. Fortunately so far it has been for defense. I am looking forward to finding out what Ethan will look like as a wolf. Again thank you for sharing your awesome story

Thank you Tylor :) The best offense is a powerful defense.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 12/12/2015 11:44 AM, rbenn55 said:

Very good chapter. Now as for Ethan, will James (who saw this gift) a member of the counsel of Elders, be able to do research to help Ethan? I think James should know about what happened here. Bravo!

Thanks rbenn. I wouldn't be surprised if the Alpha didn't talk to James about it, as James was one of the Alpha's teachers growing up which is how James knew of the legends in the first place. Who better to help the Alpha research.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 12/12/2015 11:56 AM, WriterJT said:

The Mystery deepens and the plot thickens.... Something tells me that there is a lot more trouble on the horizon for Ethan and the Pack... But having seen what Ethan can do, something tells me that he will do everything he can to defend the pack from that danger...

The pack is now Ethan's home and family, so I'd almost feel sorry for anyone that presents a danger to that. Thank you JT :)

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 12/12/2015 12:39 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Ah, we find out at last--I'm betting on Druid though, due to Ethan's genetic history. :)

Note that he only seems to use as much of his ability as he needs to--trying not to harm anyone if he can. I hope the feral attacks are coincidence, but it's not appearing likely right now.

Come on, Ethan, get bit already. :)

More please--dying over here!

Thank you CG. I knew you'd be happy today :) It will happen... most likely. lol

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 12/12/2015 05:52 PM, Cannd said:

Great chapter. I'd have liked the boys to give him some explanation as to how Lunis were created or why they were like rabid animals. did they exist as more sentient creatures like the weres? I'm really touched at how much Rafe and moreso, the Alpha, is so quick to defend Ethan and pledge their protection. I don't get the feeling it is for what Ethan could do for them either. I just can't imagine that the team that bagged and tagged it isn't going to remark on it not looking like a fight with the wolves killed it and about the beast being wet. It could lead to people seeing the similarities between the events surrounding the bridge and this. Poor Ethan was so upset. I'd have thought it would have at least made him feel good that he may have saved his mate's life and those of Casey and himself too. I will be very surprised if Aidan doesn't decide to live with him at this point. he should be around to help his mate through this and protect his mate. I think it is time they cohabitate. The idea that he couldn't complete the mating upset Ethan so much so it is clear that he feels deeply enough about him to live with him.

As for the increase in ferals and whether they're attracted to Ethan...it would be surprising only b/c the animals that have come to him have always wanted to help him and honor him almost. I don't feel like it would draw animals to him that want to destroy him...that said, we don't know if the Lunis wanted to get to Ethan to hurt him. It may have wanted to cuddle with him. lol It really was attacking the guys for blocking his way to Ethan, not ethan himself. I do wonder. I don't know why ferals from god knows where would be called to him...wouldn't all animals be feeling a draw to him, including the other weres? This is all getting really good so keep it up!!

Thanks Cannd. When the pack elders gave Ethan the history of Lycans they did talk about the lunis. Basically they are like a white tiger cub born from orange parents. It's an anomaly within the wolf population where you might occasionally have one born from parents that are lupus wolves. If two lunis breed, it will most likely be a lunis, though can sometimes be a lupus.

As far as the team that bagged the dead lunis, they might think something was used to kill it that's in the truck. Most anything would have been possible, but the Alpha and Sheriff would have gone wolf to fight it.

Ethan was upset at killing something that was a wolf. The thought that he protected his mate and Casey's life doesn't factor in yet, just the death of a wolf by him as well as the revelation that he's not entirely human.

I don't think the lunis wanted to cuddle :) , but did it want to get to Ethan for some reason and attack because it was being blocked or was it attacking just because it was feral? That is a question that only time will tell.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well, we get another believer in Ethan being an 'elemental'. One problem that I see, Ethan faints from the effort of using his power. He must either get stronger, possible with practice, or find out how to apply his powers without their use draining him so much. Remember, practice makes perfect. I think the contrasting conclusions of the other changlings will fall by the wayside as Ethan learns to control his powers.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

Well, we get another believer in Ethan being an 'elemental'. One problem that I see, Ethan faints from the effort of using his power. He must either get stronger, possible with practice, or find out how to apply his powers without their use draining him so much. Remember, practice makes perfect. I think the contrasting conclusions of the other changlings will fall by the wayside as Ethan learns to control his powers.

Kind of in the way a very young rattlesnake tends to expel all it's venom in a single bite, Ethan expends all his energy because he hasn't learned how to meter it. The use of his abilities is also a reflex action instead of by conscious choice. As you said, practice makes perfect. :)

  • Like 5
Link to comment
6 hours ago, bearbtm said:

Just when Ethan thinks he is getting some sort of normalcy to his life he finds out he might be anything but normal. Great chapter 👌

Who wants to be normal anyways. It's so... normal. :) Thank you, Bear.

  • Haha 5
Link to comment

All the comments have pushed me to start some research.  Originally, I had thought that Ethan might be an elemental.  However, according to the mythology given in the 101 lesson, that would mean that Ethan doesn't have a soul until he mates.  I cannot believe that Ethan is soulless, so that combined with his Celtic DNA would suggest he is a Druid.  

Ethan's anguish over killing the feral wolf was actually expected by me.  Ethan values life and nature dearly, so destroying life affects him deeply.  I do hope that he will be able to heal enough to mate soon.  That change will make him stronger to defend those he loves.  I also noticed that Ethan's recovery was much quicker this time.  Excellent chapter, but so many questions still remain.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
On 4/17/2022 at 2:11 AM, raven1 said:

All the comments have pushed me to start some research.  Originally, I had thought that Ethan might be an elemental.  However, according to the mythology given in the 101 lesson, that would mean that Ethan doesn't have a soul until he mates.  I cannot believe that Ethan is soulless, so that combined with his Celtic DNA would suggest he is a Druid.  

Ethan's anguish over killing the feral wolf was actually expected by me.  Ethan values life and nature dearly, so destroying life affects him deeply.  I do hope that he will be able to heal enough to mate soon.  That change will make him stronger to defend those he loves.  I also noticed that Ethan's recovery was much quicker this time.  Excellent chapter, but so many questions still remain.

I thought only gingers were soulless (sorry for the joke to any redheaded readers :) ) As I was writing this, I tried to do my own research to come up with the best description for what I wanted Ethan to be, and annoyingly at the time something on World of Warcraft was as good as it got. Not only was it a life Ethan took, but it was the life of a wolf, something that is most dear to his heart.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 4/17/2022 at 3:11 AM, raven1 said:

All the comments have pushed me to start some research.  Originally, I had thought that Ethan might be an elemental.  However, according to the mythology given in the 101 lesson, that would mean that Ethan doesn't have a soul until he mates.  I cannot believe that Ethan is soulless, so that combined with his Celtic DNA would suggest he is a Druid.

I would have stuck with Elemental... Until that Celtic DNA came out.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..