Jump to content
    WolfM
  • Author
  • 5,915 Words
  • 15,208 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Running with the Pack - 19. Chapter 19

As the sun rose into the morning sky signaling the start of a new day, Ethan yawned and stretched, working the kinks out of his muscles from the night’s sleep. He glanced at the clock deciding it was time to get out of bed. He wished he had woken up next to Aiden. They had decided between work and taking it slow, it would be better for each to be in their own beds, at least for now. Like always when they were apart, it wasn’t the most restful sleep, yet he managed. His dreams were filled with images of running through the forest at the side of his large black wolf. Getting his shower out of the way, he dressed and headed down for breakfast.

Across town, Aiden awoke about the same time. He ran his hand over where his mate should have slept. His pup’s scent was still strong on the sheets from the last time he had been there. Forcing himself to get up, he showered and readied himself to head off to the academy. He was happy to be down to the final two weeks before graduation. If he passed, starting his job with the Sheriff’s Department would follow.

******

At 8:00 a.m. two guards walked into the cellblock, each carried a tray with breakfast for their prisoners.

“Rise and shine. You’ve got thirty minutes to eat and get ready to go.”

Exactly half an hour later, one of the guards escorted Chris to his family’s home, while the other took Michael to his parent’s house.

Chris’s parents anxiously waited for him. They lovingly hugged him as they walked inside under the watchful eye of the guard.

“Mom, Dad, I’m sorry for all the trouble I caused you.” Chris cried as he held them. “I fucked up big time. I think it took this for me to see what I’d become. I let the idea of power go to my head. I’m gonna be fine, and I’ll make the best of the new pack. I’ll try my hardest to turn things around.”

“No matter what, we love you,” both his parents told him.

“I love you too.”

They got his car packed with clothes and a few personal items they could fit in. He set a few other things aside to be shipped once he had an apartment.

At the Stockdale house, John and Jackie were equally anxious. They expected this last meeting to go poorly. Outside, an SUV with two hunters waited to escort the boys from the pack’s territory. Michael finally showed up with his guard, who knocked and waited for the door to open. As soon as it did, the man bowed his head respectfully. “Alpha, Ma’am.”

Michael pushed past them and went to his room without a word. He packed his things while the guard watched from just inside the door. Jackie walked into the room. Before she could say anything, Michael rounded on her with a steely glare. “What do you want?”

“I came to see if you needed anything. I wanted to spend what little time we have with you before you leave.”

He returned to his packing. “If you were so interested in spending time with me, you shouldn’t have let him exile me. You let him take my birthright from me. This pack was supposed to be mine like every other generation of our family since its founding.”

“I suppose it doesn’t matter how difficult this decision was for either of us?”

“Nope, it doesn’t. All that matters is you both chose another wolf and his supposed human mate over your own son.” He coldly turned away as he carried the first load down to his SUV.

Jackie walked out to the garden and sat with her head in her hands crying. John followed her and sat, holding his mate while both cried.

While Michael packed his SUV, Chris showed up still shadowed by his guard. Michael soon had everything he wanted to take with him loaded. He quietly talked with Chris while one of the guards went to find his leader. “Alpha. It’s time.” Walking back out front, he approached Chris. “I need you to roll up your left pant leg.” He attached a GPS monitor to the teen’s ankle. After making sure it was active and working, he went to Michael and repeated the process. He explained the device to both teens. “There are fiber optic wires in the cuff that are designed to break if you try to remove or tamper with it. Anything you do to trip the alarm will send an alert to the nearest lycan law enforcement. You will need to charge the monitor once a day. It can plug into any USB outlet for that. If you let the power get too low, it trips the alarm, and you get a visit from someone with a badge. You should be able to shift with it on, but you’ll have to be careful how you do so the fiber optics don’t break.”

Joining the guards in the driveway, the alpha approached Michael and Chris. “The hunters and a deputy will escort you out of the territory. All of the packs between here and Columbia River know you’ll be passing through, and you might stop for the night in their area. You are to check in with the packs if you stop. I hope this change will get you both back on track to becoming the honorable young wolves I know you could be. If it does, perhaps at some point your exile will be lifted. Ultimately it’s going to be your choice if you go to the new pack or not. If you don’t, you’ll be listed as a rogue with the Lycan Council and they’ll hunt you until you’re found. Have a safe journey.” He nodded to the hunters who had their orders if either of the boys deviated from their route out of the territory.

About two hours later, John got a call from one of the hunters. They’ve left the territory, Alpha.”

******

Ethan was sweeping inside the house they were working on as it neared completion. He’d heard Rafe’s reputation for always producing impressive work, but the man had gone all out on this project. They had created a modern version of an old Craftsman-style house giving it the look and feel of an original from the early nineteen hundreds. He left out nothing when it came to the detail work inside and out. The large front porch was welcoming with its stone and wood columns. On the inside, a stained glass window waited to be hung in the staircase opening. Pocket doors led into a living room that looked like it had been pulled out of time built-in cabinets flanked the large fireplace. Out back, there was a huge patio beyond the deck. Both had large covered areas to make them enjoyable during any type of weather. The outdoor kitchen area made it perfect for entertaining. Off to one side of the yard was a one-bedroom guesthouse, while on the other side stood a detached, oversized three-car garage and workshop with a fully equipped loft apartment above. Best of all, the house had modern comforts where needed, like air conditioning and an up-to-date kitchen. He gave himself a moment to think what it would be like to share a house like this with Aiden.

Rafe and Joe were installing hardwood floors in an upstairs bedroom. Casey was in the basement helping a plumber making final connections. Putting down his broom, he headed upstairs to check on how many boxes of flooring they had left. Seeing it was getting low, he asked how many more they needed before dashing back downstairs to replenish their supplies.

Rafe received a call letting him know Michael and Chris had left the territory. He told Ethan after he put down the last box of flooring.

“Hopefully that means I won’t get little surprise visits from wolves that don’t like me.” There was a sadness to his voice.

Rafe brushed some sawdust off his shirt. “Between the punishments that have been handed down and the alpha’s warning he would kill any wolf that defies him on this. It should stop any more problems. There’s always a chance one of their friends might do something stupid and try to take some kind of revenge, but I think it’s minimal at best. Most of them seem happy Michael’s leaving. We’ve been getting the occasional feral showing up so I’d be grateful if you had Aiden or Casey with you, just in case.”

“Yes, Dad.” Ethan rolled his eyes at needing protection. A moment later his shoulders slumped and the carefree smile disappeared as he realized what he had said.

Casey happened to walk past on his way to the truck. “It’s about time he started calling you Dad, can’t have my bro showing me up by calling you sir all the time.”

Rafe put a hand on Ethan’s shoulder. “I know you haven’t had a family in a while, but I’m just as proud of you as I am all my other sons. You’ve become family to all of us. Mary and I see you as one of our boys. You may have meant that as a joke, but you can call me Dad anytime you feel like it. I consider it a gift. To me, you are my son.” The big man gave Ethan a hug before they all returned to work.

******

One of the hunters patrolling near the border picked up a new scent. He knew right away it was a feral entering the territory. He quickly sent a text to the alpha, sheriff, and hunter command.

<Feral scented NE zone moving towards Silver Pine>

Slinging his rifle over his shoulder, he followed the scent, making sure to keep downwind from the intruder. After about fifteen minutes of chasing it on foot, he spotted it while looking through the scope on his rifle. He sent out another text.

<Lunis approx one hour from SP at current speed>

He continued tracking the beast, thankful it wasn’t a full moon so the beast wasn’t at its full strength and size.

The alpha and sheriff were organizing hunters to assist, and notifying people around the areas that could be affected, when they received a message from a hunter in the southern part of the territory.

<Foreign lupus sighted SW. No response to challenge. Feral scent. Moving NE. In pursuit>

“Sounds like it’s going to be a busy day, Dan.” The alpha rubbed his head. “You coordinate on the lupus, and I’ll take the lunis.” Grabbing his phone, he called one of his timber mills and let them know to be on alert and armed.

The lunis was making good time heading towards Silver Pine. Running on two legs, the six-and-a-half-foot-tall beast seemed to move with a purpose. It was not taking time to hunt or forage for food like most ferals did. The hunter kept up with it, but never had a clear sight long enough to take a shot. He hoped additional hunters would be able to head it off before it reached any human populations like Parker.

The other hunter had trouble keeping up with the lupus as it ran across the territory on its four strong legs. He activated his GPS beacon so the pack could easily see where he was; not wanting to risk losing it, he didn’t stop to call in or send additional texts.

The sheriff saw the beacon pop up on a display map of the territory. At the speed it was moving, he estimated they would be in town in less than forty-five minutes. He moved additional hunters into position along the line it was heading. While he worked on that, the beacon for the hunter chasing the lunis popped up on the display as well.

“John, they’ve both turned on their GPS beacon.”

“Good. Highlight those two on the map. I’m sending a message to all hunters to turn on their beacon. Send out a pack wide alert, and use the Sheriff Department system to notify any humans in the affected area of a loose rabid dog. Instruct them to stay indoors.”

“Yes, Alpha.”

Tyler, Connor, and Kevin were hanging out together when they received a text alert about the ferals. They had been talking about the trouble they had gotten in from their treatment of the human, and how each had screwed up. Tyler told the other two about spending time with and getting to know Ethan, and suggested they do the same. He also mentioned again about being let off the hook for his and Chris’s actions on the forest track. They all agreed there needed to be changes in their lives.

Connor’s brother was a pack hunter, so he called him and found out the area the lupus was expected to reach town if it made it that far. Disregarding thoughts of safety by staying indoors, he grabbed his rifle and asked the other two if they wanted to come along. Readily agreeing, the three headed out.

The trailing hunters were getting uncomfortably close to more populated areas. Their path remained a straight line, which would make it easier to head off the trespassers. Additional hunters were staggered along the route with orders to eliminate the threat. It appeared both intruders were heading towards the same spot.

“What’s in that area they’re headed too?” The sheriff looked over his map.

“Most of it’s open space and a few homes. I can’t imagine why they’d head there. If they’re feral, they’re usually searching for food.” The alpha joined his beta at the territorial map.

From the movements of the GPS beacons they could see the hunters deployed in the path of the intruders were getting passed. They fell in behind and followed.

******

Connor led his two friends down the street, his rifle prepared should it be needed. Off to their right a ways ahead, they could see the house the Tucker crew was building. A wolf stepped out of the trees on the left side of the street. It stopped as if watching something. As they neared, they saw Ethan walk out of the house to pull something out of the truck. His human senses left him complete unaware of the danger nearby.

The wolf moved slowly towards the unsuspecting human. Further up the road, the large two-legged beast that was the lunis emerged from the forest’s cover as well, and stalked towards its prey. Tyler and Kevin quickly shed their clothes, shifted into their wolf, and made a mad dash to get in between Ethan and the combined threats. Connor raised his rifle towards the nearest feral. Not knowing if any hunters were nearby to stop the two threats, he fired off a warning shot that struck the ground mere feet from the lupus, showering it with a spray of dirt. He rapidly chambered another round and took aim at the lupus’ head.

Ethan turned towards the sound of the gunshot and saw two wolves running fast towards him. “RAFE!”

At the rifle’s report, both ferals stopped momentarily which gave Tyler and Kevin time to reach Ethan and take up a defensive posture. The lupus shook the soil from its face and fur while the lunis scented the air. The two intruders resumed their approach, though with more caution.

Casey came running out of the house in mid shift, launched himself into the air from the top step of the porch, and landed on the ground in his wolf form next to Ethan. His teeth bared and ready to fight. Having heard the shot and picking up the scent of all the different wolves nearby, he was already heading outside before hearing the call for help. At first, he was unsure who the aggressor was. Regardless, he would not allow anyone near his brother.

Rafe and Joe quickly followed, running out of the house in their human form with crowbar and hammer at the ready. Joe pulled off his shirt while running, prepared to shift if needed.

Ethan stood frozen with his back pressed against the truck. He knew Casey’s wolf was beside him and took comfort in that. Tyler and Kevin faced away in an attack stance with their heads lowered. He finally saw the two other wolves as men with rifles rushed out of the tree line. One was a good size four-legged wolf, though smaller than the three near him; its tan fur mixed with gray and black. The other was one of those two-legged beasts like the one from the lake. It was very tall, with silver fur flecked with white and a little black.

Casey stood ready to fight anything that endangered his charge. His growl low and threatening, a warning he would kill anything that approached.

“Ethan. Do not move!” Rafe called out as he assessed the situation.

The hunters blocked off any escape, and had their rifles trained on both intruders. They held their fire since there were so many people in the area.

The lupus and lunis ceased their advance in the face of overwhelming opposition.

Rafe moved in front of Tyler and Kevin. “Move and you forfeit your lives.”

Much to everyone’s surprise, the lunis knelt onto one knee and lowered its head while crossing its arms behind its back, at the same time the lupus laid flat on the ground. Their actions indicated they actually understood the enforcer’s threat. There was no aggressive behavior from them, and they didn’t act like typical ferals. Aside from the agitation shown by the way the lunis’ tail swished, they remained docile.

The alpha and sheriff arrived and surveyed the situation. They took note of Ethan’s proximity to the intruders. Seeing Rafe had taken charge of the situation, they remained at a distance to not aggravate things.

Without turning his head from the intruders, Rafe issued instructions to his son. “Casey, translate everything I say the way I say it.” Hearing his son bark an acknowledgement, he continued. “Your scent is not known here. You have both trespassed into our territory.” Rafe’s voice was deep and powerful. “If you remain nonaggressive you will not be killed. If you understand and agree to stay passive, then howl your acknowledgement.”

After a few moments, both wolves gave a short howl.

“What the hell, John? A feral never responds like that. Even the ones I’ve seen captured were more wild animal then anything. They don’t even respond to commands in wolf.”

John shrugged his shoulders. “You’ve got me. I’ve never seen anything like this either. They have the scent of a feral though. It might be their proximity to Ethan.”

“If you can, shift to your human form.” Rafe commanded. “Either way you will be taken into custody and provided with food and shelter. Do you understand?”

Once Casey finished translating, the lupus nodded and gave out a series of whimpers and cries to say it understood. The lunis responded in a deep, gravelly voice. “Understand I.”

Neither shifted, though all the surrounding lycan could tell they made an effort.

“No shift can. Been too long wolf. No find way back.” It sat fully on the ground, shifting its attention from Rafe to Ethan.

The lupus whimpered and barked, “No remember shift.”

The alpha walked over to his enforcer and spoke quietly with him while appraising the intruders.

The lunis stared up at him with curiosity while scenting the air. Picking up the difference about the man, it prostrated itself in submission. “Alpha. Please no hurt. Forgive please. Promise no harm. Needs help.”

John turned to the other in full wolf form. “You promise no harm as well?”

Peering up to the alpha, it nodded before rolling onto its back to show its full submission to the powerful leader.

“Very well. I will have our doctor check you both out to see if he can help you. Go with these men. They will keep you safe. As long as you don’t fight, no harm will come to either of you. If you fight, you will die. I need you each to get in one of the vans. They will take you to our medical clinic.”

Again, both nodded their agreement, and moved to a van as instructed by their guard. Once the doors were closed, Casey stood down from his defensive posture. He moved ’til his head brushed Ethan’s hand, causing the boy to finally blink and focus on the auburn wolf.

Tyler and Kevin went over to Connor who had their clothes waiting and shifted back to human form.

The sheriff sent out an all clear text to the pack and general community.

Casey used his nose to nudge a very visibly shaken Ethan. The wolf had to gently grab the teen’s sleeve with his teeth and tug to get him to move towards the house. He gave a small bark to get his older brother’s attention to help.

“Come on little bro. Let’s get you inside so you can sit down.” Joe placed his hand on Ethan's shoulder to guide him.

Casey glanced over the pile of shredded fabric that used to be his clothes. Staring at his brother before turning his head, Joe followed what the wolf was looking at, and noticed the rags as well. “Yeah, yeah. I think we’ve got some spares in the truck. I’ll go get’em.”

Joe ran to the truck, grabbed what they had, and was back inside in a moment. Casey stepped behind Ethan and shifted back to human, making sure his friend’s mate was always in sight and reach. Quickly dressing, he knelt next to him. “Are you okay?” Ethan sat with a blank stare on his face, not realizing Casey was speaking to him. “Joe, could you get some water for him?”

Joe came back with a bottle and knelt in front of his new brother. “I know that probably scared the hell out of you. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t scare me, but I don’t think you were ever in any real danger. You had a lot of wolves protecting you.”

Rafe stuck his head in to make sure everyone was alright. “Why don’t you boys lock up the site and get him home. Take the rest of the day off.”

Outside, the alpha and sheriff were talking to Connor, Tyler, and Kevin about why there were in the area. Connor admitted to finding out from his brother, but as a warning to stay inside. Kevin mentioned his friend taking a shot when he saw one of the wolves moving towards Ethan, giving them enough time to reach him.

“Dan, perhaps Connor would be a good candidate for hunter training.”

“Thank you, Alpha.” Connor was honored at it even being suggested. The young lycan bared his neck in respect to his leader.

Casey got Ethan seated in his truck and left him in Joe’s care for a moment as he ran over to his father. “Alpha, Dad, I know you already saw, but these two put themselves between Ethan and the ferals before I managed to get out the door. If they hadn’t been here and Connor hadn’t fired off that shot, we might not have known there was a threat in time.” He gave a nod to his three former adversaries and ran back over to his truck to drive his brother home.

Rafe nodded. “By the time Joe and I got out the door, they were out front ready to fight, with Casey making sure nothing got to Ethan.”

John’s eyebrow rose, he crossed his arms, and waited for an explanation from the young men.

Tyler cleared his throat and took a deep breath. “Alpha, all three of us were pretty shitty in the way we treated him. We all attacked him when he hadn’t done anything to us. When we saw him come out of the house without knowing there was danger nearby, we knew we owed it to him.”

“I kept my rifle trained on the lupus and was ready to take a shot at both of them if they got near my friends or Ethan.”

“I’m proud of you three. It was damn stupid with two ferals, but I’m proud of you.” The alpha surprised them by shaking their hands. With all the excitement over with, he sent people home and the hunters back to their patrols.

******

Two vans pulled up to the pack medical center. One at a time, the wolf in back was escorted under guard to separate secure rooms. Doctor MacRae spoke with the guards who assured him they would remain on site in case there was a problem. Entering the first exam room with two of the guards, he stood for a moment staring at the large lunis, while they stayed by the door, guns drawn but down at their side.

“I’m the pack doctor. They told me you’re able to understand.” Glancing over his shoulder at the guards for a moment. “They’re just here for safety and won’t harm you. I need to draw blood and run a few test. Is that okay with you?”

The lunis nodded and held out an arm.

He took the sample and did a few basic tests. “Thank you. Would you like some food and water?”

In its deep raspy voice, it responded. “Needs water is hungry.”

“I’ll have both brought to you. We might be able to force you to return to human form with a Wolfsbane injection but there’s no guarantee. The injection would make you weak at least for a while and it will hurt, so I won’t do it without your permission. Eat and we can discuss it after.”

The lunis cocked its head unsure of everything the man said, but understood a few words.

The doctor left the room and told one of the staff to prepare food for both guests. He dropped off the first batch of blood at the lab. Heading to the room with the lupus, he repeated the process, asking permission to do the tests and draw blood, to which the large wolf nodded. As he finished, there was a knock on the door to bring in food and water.

He returned to the lab as the technician processed the blood work, finding the lunis was in general good health. It exhibited all the blood markers of a feral. He was puzzled that this one was able to talk and understand.

A few hours later, John showed up at the clinic for an update. Not much was known at the point. It was decided to attempt the Wolfsbane injection on the lupus first and he accompanied the doctor into its room.

Doctor MacRae showed the syringe to the wolf. “This is a very low dose of Wolfsbane. We’ve used it before to sedate wolves and help them return to human when they’ve become trapped. We don’t fully know what will happen with you. The choice is yours.”

The wolf scented the object the doctor held. Raising its eyes to the alpha, it nodded. The doctor administered the injection and the wolf howled in pain before falling to the floor unconscious. The fur receded slightly as it relaxed a little, but otherwise remained unchanged.

Outside the room, the doctor’s concern showed. “Alpha, I would rather not give the lunis the injection. It had almost no effect on the lupus, and I would guess it will be the same.”

“It’s your call Doctor. You’re running this show. I have zero experience in matters like this.”

******

Aiden rushed to the Tucker house as soon as he was able. He found Ethan sitting in the family room watching Jack, Ryan, and Zach play video games. Mary and Casey kept a watchful eye on him from the kitchen.

Mary stopped Aiden for a moment. “He seems fine, just a little shaken up. That poor boy keeps finding himself surrounded by wolves he shouldn’t.”

He nodded at Mary and turned to Casey. “What happened today?”

He filled Aiden in on everything, including how the three who had once attached his mate came to his defense. He also mentioned how it seemed like each wolf had been trying to reach Ethan. When he said how the feral lunis spoke, it surprised Aiden as much as it had everyone else.

Sitting beside his mate, he pulled the smaller body onto his lap, encircling the blond with his arms. “I know you’re getting tired of people asking you this, but you doing okay, Pup?”

“Yeah. I think so. I just wish stuff like this would stop happening.” Ethan laid his head against the muscular chest.

“You and me both. It was driving me crazy I couldn’t get to you.”

“I knew Casey was next to me. I could feel his fur and knew I was safe, but I don’t remember most of what happened. It was weird hearing that werewolfy one talking. I forgot they said those kind could actually talk like people.”

“Yeah, with a lunis it is still able to speak no matter if it’s in human or hybrid form. That deep voice, kind of like someone with a really dry throat. There aren’t many around in the state that we know of and none live in the territory, so we don’t see them much.”

“Not many around? I’ve now seen two. At least I didn’t kill this one or the full wolf, the lupus.”

“I’m just glad you’re okay, Pup.”

******

The following morning, the doctor checked in on the lab work and found it completed. It indicated both wolves had a chemical imbalance in their system the doctor thought might be why they couldn’t return to human. Little was known about feral wolves, so most of it was guesswork. It was believed lycan wolves on their own for too long, or suffering from extreme grief, would lose themselves to their inner wolf, and become stuck in their animal form. Over time, the human part of their mind would fade away completely and leave only the wild instincts of the wolf. Ferals gave off a scent different from other lycan and their non-lycan cousins. The scent allowed for identification by any shifter that encountered one. To avoid exposure and unwanted attention, they were hunted, and terminated with extreme prejudice. The repercussions from a feral of either type attacking the human population, or worse, a lunis being seen by a human was unthinkable. There were no previously reported encounters with a feral where the beast understood commands, let alone responded. It was a mystery why these two responded as they did.

The doctor updated the alpha on their guests’ condition and good behavior. They were working to find better housing, so they weren’t cooped up in a small room. Treating them like caged animals while needing to keep them captive could cause problems.

By mid-afternoon, the doctor was surprised to see Aiden, Ethan and Casey walk into the clinic. “Hey guys. Is everything alright?”

“We’re all fine.” Aiden glanced down at his mate for a moment. “Ethan says he needs to see the ferals.”

The older lycan frowned. “This isn’t a petting zoo. They may not be acting it now, but they’re still dangerous.”

“I don’t know why, but I just keep getting this feeling like I need to see them.”

“What is it you’re feeling?” The doctor pressed. “Is this leftover anxiety from what happened yesterday? I know this is the second time you’ve been near a feral.”

Ethan shrugged. “I don’t know how to explain it other than I know I need to see them.”

Casey decided to chime in. “I don’t know if it matters or not, Doc, but it looked like they were trying to reach him yesterday when they were captured.”

“I think you boys should head home. I’ve got a lot of work to do.”

Aiden refused to back down. His arms crossed as he glared at the doctor. “I wouldn’t have brought my mate in here if I didn’t believe this was important.”

Unaware of his actions, Ian dipped his head in respect, and bared his neck to the powerful younger lycan. He was still frustrated with the demands of this young group. “I’m calling the alpha.”

“Good. We’ll wait.” Aiden turned, taking his mate’s hand and sat in the waiting room.

Doctor MacRae walked into his office to place the call. He explained how the three showed up, and Ethan’s odd statement he felt he needed to see the ferals.

“I’ll be there in a few minutes,” John told him, before the phone line disconnected.

The doctor returned to the reception area and told the three the alpha was on his way. He figured the pack leader was going to reprimand the teens and send them on their way.

When he showed up, John knelt before Ethan. “You’re not sure why you need to see them? Only that you do?”

“Yes, sir. I can’t even explain it to myself. I woke up this morning feeling like this. I’ve been trying to push it out of my mind all day, but know I have to do this.”

“I don’t like it. If they so much as scratch him, I’ll tear them to pieces. Him telling me he needs to do this, it’s good enough for me, Alpha.” Aiden stood with his arms crossed.

John had a quiet conference with the doctor before returning to the young men. “Follow me and if I tell you to leave the room you go quickly and without question. Understood?”

“Yes, Alpha,” all three said in unison.

Talking them to the first room, the alpha spoke to the guard outside the door and took his side arm. He nodded to have the door unlocked. The lunis was lying on the floor, and sat up when the others entered. It took in the scent of the newcomers and lowered its head, baring its neck. Its gaze settled on Ethan. Aiden eyed the unusual wolf as he pulled his mate a little behind him to better protect his pup. The large hybrid cautiously moved to a more wolf like crouch with its head bowed low.

It picked up the scent of Ethan’s apprehension. “No fear me. Will no hurt small one I seek.”

“I’ll be damned. I know you told me he spoke, but…” Aiden still kept his mate behind him.

Ethan stepped out from behind Aiden and studied the lunis for a few moments. He was about to take a step towards the animal when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned to his mate, meeting his eyes. “It’s okay. Trust me.”

Aiden nodded and stayed at his side.

The lunis bowed even lower as Ethan approached. With shaking hands, he reached out and touched the wolf. He gently stroked the fur on the beast’s head. When his hand fell still, he reached out with his other one, and placed it on the lunis’ chest.

Aiden watched the glow build in Ethan’s eyes, from a mere spark to a brilliant radiance. Minutes passed as he stayed in contact with the feral wolf while the others could only stand and watch. After thirty minutes, the lunis fell to the floor, its silver fur receded as it reverted to a human male form.

Running with the Pack, WolfM, 2012-2016, All Rights Reserved
  • Like 96
  • Love 53
  • Wow 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter. Ethan reveals even more abilities. I loved how the three who attacked him came to his defense. Looking forward to the next chapters. Thanks for sharing your story.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 12/22/2015 11:05 AM, TylorD43 said:

Great chapter. Ethan reveals even more abilities. I loved how the three who attacked him came to his defense. Looking forward to the next chapters. Thanks for sharing your story.

Thanks Tylor :) They know they screwed up before and are working to change. They saw the end result of the path they were on and want no part of that.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Ah, so beautiful, the end! I am with Aidan - I love the pup!
Chris will turn around, but Michael will not last long.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

We knew the three Ethan forgave come around. Now, if Chris can get away from Michael, there's a chance for him. Michael is too arrogant to change and will pay for it sooner or later.
As for Ethan, curiouser and curiouser. I guess we know why some of the ferals have been drawn to the area. I can't wait to read more.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Another great chapter! I am glad to see the three not only saw the error that their lives were taking, but decided to show that they were truly sorry by defending Ethan. I think that what Chris said to his parents shows that he is also coming around and will make something of his life. I agree with with IBEX, I love the pup also, so much compassion for one that has had such a hard life.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Another great chapter, but I have to wonder if this isn't leading Ethan into even more danger... What is the Lycan council going to make of this once they get the information. Have to wonder if they are someone isn't going to make a grab for Ethan.

 

Sad to see that Chris had to be banished before realizing the real error of his way, hope he gets back on the right track and maybe can come home some day. Michael still doesn't seem to get it, have to believe he will never survive without a major attitude adjustment...

 

Wonder how Ethan is going to feel if he realizes that the wolf he killed may have only been seeking what he just did to this one... Hopefully Aiden will help him understand and recover...

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 12/22/2015 12:50 PM, IBEX said:

Ah, so beautiful, the end! I am with Aidan - I love the pup!

Chris will turn around, but Michael will not last long.

Thank you IBEX :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 12/22/2015 03:04 PM, avidreadr said:

We knew the three Ethan forgave come around. Now, if Chris can get away from Michael, there's a chance for him. Michael is too arrogant to change and will pay for it sooner or later.

As for Ethan, curiouser and curiouser. I guess we know why some of the ferals have been drawn to the area. I can't wait to read more.

Fortunately Ethan's instincts are telling him what he needs. Thanks for your continued support, Avid.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 12/22/2015 04:41 PM, Rosicky said:

Wow. What powers does Ethan have??? But it makes me a bit sad to think that perhaps the feral lunis that he killed was seeking the same peace Ethan just provided this one. Looking forward to learning more about Ethan! Thanks, WolfM! Great story!

Thank you Rosicky. That seems to be the question. Ethan has no clue and is operating purely on instinct. Where his powers will peak, that's a very good question. :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 12/22/2015 05:24 PM, wolf39 said:

Another great chapter! I am glad to see the three not only saw the error that their lives were taking, but decided to show that they were truly sorry by defending Ethan. I think that what Chris said to his parents shows that he is also coming around and will make something of his life. I agree with with IBEX, I love the pup also, so much compassion for one that has had such a hard life.

Thank you Wolf39. The three really want to make a mends and make up to Ethan for what each had done. Ethan has managed to maintain his compassion for life even with what he's been through. His hard edge comes out when he see's a bully like Michael, but fortunately he hasn't closed off his heart.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 12/23/2015 04:20 AM, centexhairysub said:

Another great chapter, but I have to wonder if this isn't leading Ethan into even more danger... What is the Lycan council going to make of this once they get the information. Have to wonder if they are someone isn't going to make a grab for Ethan.

 

Sad to see that Chris had to be banished before realizing the real error of his way, hope he gets back on the right track and maybe can come home some day. Michael still doesn't seem to get it, have to believe he will never survive without a major attitude adjustment...

 

Wonder how Ethan is going to feel if he realizes that the wolf he killed may have only been seeking what he just did to this one... Hopefully Aiden will help him understand and recover...

As always, Thank you Centex. The Lycan Council could see Ethan as a threat to power even though they are basically the United Nations of wolf packs with a couple bear clans thrown in. Rival packs could see him as a source of power if he can be controlled as well. Fortunately he's in a very strong pack and has people that care about him.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

It seems that these ferals are being drawn to Ethan's force of nature. It's amasing given the distance that they must be feeling Ethan from. Very sad that the Ferals from the previous day were probably drawn to seek Ethan's help too and were killed unnecessarily.

Good to see the three previously  misguided shifters running to Ethan's aid. Actions proving their apologies, a hundred-fold. 

How ironic it is that Ethan appears to have the gift to heal lycan strays when he was once a stray help by a lycan himself.

I imagine that there must be hundreds and maybe thousands of ferals that will be drawn to Ethan now. The Lycan Councils will need to get together eventually and offer them their own Pack territory with Ethan and Aiden as their joint Alphas. That's way further down the line but I can see it happening.

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Like 5
Link to comment

Well.now not only is Ethan discovering his greater purpose but Aiden seems to be quite the Alpha. Great writing 😊

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 4/4/2022 at 7:10 PM, bearbtm said:

Well.now not only is Ethan discovering his greater purpose but Aiden seems to be quite the Alpha. Great writing 😊

Thank you, Bear :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Chris's talk with his parents indicate he desires to change.  Unfortunately, he still has to put up Michael as they cross the country to Oregon.  Tyler, Kevin and Connor are truly trying to make amends.  I hope that continues and they make friends with their former enemies.  It is strange that the feral wolves seem to be targeting Ethan.  Alpha Stockdale needs to find out why the wolves are seeking out Ethan.

Quote

It picked up the scent of Ethan’s apprehension. “No fear me. Will no hurt small one I seek.”

Ethan seems to have a power to heal them, but how do they know how to find him?  Another wonderful chapter.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
17 hours ago, raven1 said:

Chris's talk with his parents indicate he desires to change.  Unfortunately, he still has to put up Michael as they cross the country to Oregon.  Tyler, Kevin and Connor are truly trying to make amends.  I hope that continues and they make friends with their former enemies.  It is strange that the feral wolves seem to be targeting Ethan.  Alpha Stockdale needs to find out why the wolves are seeking out Ethan.

Ethan seems to have a power to heal them, but how do they know how to find him?  Another wonderful chapter.

Knowing death is one mistake away is a powerful motivator for Chris. Tyler, Connor, and Kevin were never actually enemies, but not friends either. All four of them out from under the thumb of Michael's blackmail can try to build new lives.

Each time Ethan uses his gift another feral shows up, so there is likely some way they can find him. A wild animal sensing help or picking up on something in nature to guide them.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

Wow (I am saying that again:yes:) Ethan magic strikes again great chapter!

Thank you, Albert. :)

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 11/18/2023 at 2:47 AM, Ajbt2001 said:

Ah, so Ethan can heal also. Very interesting this is. 

:)  He's slowly learning what he can do.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..