Jump to content
    WolfM
  • Author
  • 8,634 Words
  • 13,432 Views
  • 35 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Running with the Pack - 44. Chapter 44

Bryce read the sentence as the accused stood defiantly. “President James Larson, Vice President Tom Preston, and Security Director Todd Miller. It is the judgment of this congress that when the moon rises Saturday night, you will be put to death for your crimes against the Lycan Council, its member packs, and all lycan. Your assets and properties are to be seized and placed in trust to compensate your victims should any be found to still be living. May the lunar spirits show more mercy on you than you’ve shown your victims.

“Members of the cabinet, you will spend the next ten years at the Reindeer Station Prison on the MacKenzie River in the Northwest Territory. All assets will be forfeit to the victim compensation fund. Upon release, your home packs will need to decide if they will take you back or exile you.”

Richard Drake took over. “Now, we have the matter of twenty-four packs to deal with and the staff of the security division. Any suggestions?”

“I know it’ll be time consuming, not that going through the mountain of information we now have isn’t.” Karissa Ryan stood to address her colleagues. “I suggest we hold the leadership of those packs at one of the prisons once we know we have control of the facility. Freeze their council bank accounts and place a monitor appointed by this assembly at each one while it is thoroughly investigated. We need to determine if they can be cleared of wrongdoing or face trial. We can do the same for the security personnel.”

“The bitch is trying to tame us.” A representative of an accused pack yelled in anger. “This can’t be allowed, and she should be muzzled and removed. Her kind is only useful for breeding.”

“She is an alpha while you are a mere representative to this council.” Richard’s voice dropped to a growl. “You get one warning since you know only we are permitted to address the assembly, and you will not show such disrespect to any alpha here. We allowed you to remain and observe as a courtesy. You have no voice here.”

“Considering I killed the man who tried to steal the leadership of my pack, I think I’m one of the last to be accused of trying to tame the lycan.” Karissa laughed. “And while many of you think I don’t hear your comments behind my back, I would say someone referred to as ’that Amazonian Bitch’ would be far from tame.” She crossed her arms and noted few other leaders would look towards her. Her eyes bore into the man who insulted her. “As the representative of a pack that acted more like a bunch of hyena, I’d watch your tongue before I remove it along with your head.”

When Dorian stood, most expected him to come to the defense of the packs accused of crimes. “I agree with Karissa.” A good number of people turned towards him in shock. “This is not an issue of trying to tame the lycan. Like Karissa, I fought a challenge and killed to gain my position. I’ve also fought several of my neighbors in a fair and traditional challenge if I felt they were getting weak. But I brought everyone together as one pack when the challenge was complete. I may be a rude, disgusting, reprehensible man most of the time, but I do believe in the rules and laws of our way of life.” He paused thinking too many were nodding at his self description. “The evidence against the council administration was overwhelming, direct, and to the point. Don’t even get me started on the fact those men were elected by us to prevent things like this from happening.

“While some of what I’ve read is also damning to the packs, further investigation is needed.” Dorian directed a nod to the only female alpha. “A regent or trustee should be appointed to manage each of the twenty-four packs accused while they are thoroughly investigated and all the evidence against them is processed. Once we know the level of involvement of their pack members, a trial before this assembly or regional peers can be done. I don’t want to say the evidence isn’t well presented already since you and your allies did a good job on this, John. But there is just too much to go through in this short a time to handle both the administration and all the packs.”

“I second the recommendation of Karissa and Dorian and call for a vote.”

Minutes later, it came back with ninety-five percent approving the plan.

“The motion is passed, and we can discuss the formation of a group of trustees to oversee the affected packs in tomorrow’s session.” Richard zeroed in on the Parker Valley delegation. “For our next item, John, would you care to finally explain your two young associates to this assembly? We’ve been patient and understanding due to the upheaval that’s hit this organization, but you do owe us an explanation. My curiosity won’t allow this to go another day.” Richard crossed his arms. “It’s obvious they’re both full alphas. But that little trick of setting themselves on fire is one I’ve never seen before. Carl and Edward might be a little flamy at times, but obviously not the same thing.” He laughed when he saw Carl flip him off.

Ethan and Aiden nodded to their alpha before making their way to the podium. “Last year, while on a camping trip, Aiden encountered a human in the forest. It turned out this human was his true mate.” John held up his hands to quiet down the uproar.

“While it’s rare to find a mate among the humans, it is possible. We all know sometimes they can be a different species or the same sex, even if some wolves don’t want to admit that. It’s not our job to question what the lunar spirits or Mother Nature herself decide.

“This young man was brought to our territory and began to exhibit, shall we say, unique traits that took us a while to figure out and explain. Suffice it to say, we determined he wasn’t entirely human. As his gifts grew, and he learned to control them, he’s shown to have abilities far beyond any human or lycan as you’ve already seen. It began with limited control over water. Making it freeze, using ice as a defensive weapon, even making it dance in the air. Or snow appear, depending on his mood.”

John held up his hands to quiet the rising swell of voices. “Nature took its course and Ethan was turned. On the night of his first shift, his true nature showed itself. What had been limited to water, expanded to cover all four of the primary elements of nature. His transformation, possibly aided by the Blood Moon though most likely just him being him, was difficult and unique. He first took on what we thought was a lunis form before shifting a short time later into a lupus. Based on old legends, he can only be described as an Elemental.” This caused a major uproar within the hall as people from all directions called out questions, yelled their disbelief, and shouted between each other.

“He’s not just a lunis?”

“That’s impossible. No wolf takes on two forms for their first time shifting.”

“Turnlings can’t become a hybrid.”

“It would kill any wolf to shift twice for the first time.”

Many felt there had to have been some trick used, while others wanted to believe. The hall descended into complete disarray. For nearly half an hour, one alpha after another tried to out yell the next to get his point across.

“There’s no such thing. Elementals are a myth, a bedtime story.”

“They wouldn’t be legends if there wasn’t at least some truth behind their existence.”

Several more quoted the old stories, as they tried to prove what John said was possible. Still others had their own fears and view on what should be done.

“What’s to stop those two from taking over the council or forcing all packs to fall under their rule?”

John expected this type of response but did not like subjecting the two young men to it. He whispered. “All we can do now is wait for them to wear themselves out and quiet down.”

One voice seemed to shout the loudest over the chaos. “We need to destroy them now just in case what John said is true. Nothing more powerful than a wolf should be permitted to exist.”

John shook his head as he waited for the yelling to settle down. He held up his hands to get people’s attention, while Richard and Bryce tried to assist him in restoring order. As John looked over the audience, he could see snowflakes dancing in the air. Pointing above the many leaders, he directed their attention to the impossible sight circling the chamber.

Ethan tried his best to ignore the arguing over what he was or might be. Instead, he spent the time everyone yelled feeling the life of the chamber they were in. All the bodies producing heat were changing the dynamics of the cavern. To counter the lycan presence, he adjusted the humidity and temperature to better protect the formations and help them grow. A gentle breeze blew, taking the snowflakes with it along with the heat only he seemed to notice. He did cause the ceiling to drip on the alpha who called for them to be destroyed, no matter where the man moved.

“Seeing those two burst into flames was impressive, but that still could have just been a trick of some kind. It doesn’t mean one or both of them are some mythical creature no one living has ever seen.”

One by one, the leaders in the room focused their attention on the young man whose existence had caused so much chaos. Fear and anger momentarily turned to wonder as Ethan’s blond, spiky hair sparkled. Ice crystals spread across his exposed skin, causing him to glow under the stage lights. He drew water from the shallow pool in the corner of the chamber, forming it into narrow ribbons which flowed around him. Satisfied he had their attention, the corner of his lip curled up in a smirk as his hair ignited. Flames reflected off the frozen water in a spectacular display.

Even Aiden was impressed. “I’m not sure I’ll let you watch that Christmas show with Heat Miser and Snow Miser again.”

The water circling Ethan moved across the floor like snakes, as it flowed back to its pool at the same time the fire and ice vanished from his body.

John took the opportunity from the momentary silence to speak. “Before I say more, I want to impress this upon each and every one of you. While I believe we are taking steps to clean up our mess in this organization, they are both extremely capable of protecting themselves from anyone that might consider using them for personal gain.” He scanned the room watching his counterparts’ reactions. “The majority of the combatant deaths suffered by the rogue gang in November were due to their unusual gifts.

“As a result of their mating, Ethan passed some of his abilities to Aiden just like he received the lycan gift from his mate. Probably the most significant gift Ethan possesses is a healing ability far beyond anything a lycan has. To date, he has cured over one hundred feral wolves. This has been witnessed by a good number of people.”

There was once again a significant amount of yelling among the pack leaders.

“There is no possible way to cure a feral beyond killing them.”

“Damned werewolves are a menace.”

“The only good feral is a dead feral.”

“This would go much smoother and faster if you would let me finish before you decide it’s a hoax.” The room quieted enough for John to resume. “While healing them used to be impossible, we now cure every feral captured by our pack. They have settled into a happy, healthy, and normal life. I know a few of you have had pack members come home after a long, unexplained absence. Perhaps someone who had lost a mate. Those wolves were found by us and cured by Ethan. Seeing either of them burst into flames is impressive on its own. Seeing him save the life of someone far surpasses that.”

“John, are you saying the she-wolf you contacted me about late last year had been feral?” A man in the middle of the chamber stood with his arms crossed. “The last time we saw her, she was running away in her wolf form about a month after her mate had been killed in an attack. She wouldn’t say much beyond your pack helped her get back on the right track and encouraged her to come home to her family.”

“Yes, Josh. We didn’t say anything else because of the possibility of rejection if it was even suspected. But she and all the others we have living with us are in perfect health.”

“Good thing you didn’t send anyone back to me. I’d be calling my pack as soon as we’re out of this meeting to have them put down as a threat.”

“It’s easy to strike out at those you fear or don’t understand.” John shook his head in disgust. “This young man has much to teach us if we simply watch his actions.”

“Despite how my alpha talks about me, all I want is to live my life in peace with my mate and our friends. Bursting into flames is easy.” Flames enveloped Ethan for a few seconds. “Getting to heal a feral give a purpose to whatever I am. Something I can use to help people.”

One of the oldest alphas still in his position stood. He rarely engaged in group discussions anymore, so his participation caused a few gasps. Given his long life of leadership, he was one of the most respected leaders in attendance and his words carried much weight. “I’ve read many legends in my years that discussed the Elementals. It’s said they tend to appear in times of trouble for the lycan. Usually, one is chosen and anointed with their gift. If they are limited to a single element, there can be up to four at any one time.

“It was said an Elemental who controlled all four helped broker the end of the wars between the gods and brought the first peace to the many types of shifters. They also talked about the tremendous healing gifts of those who controlled water.” The silver haired alpha paused as he observed those around him. “If the legends have any truth to them, times for us had become darker than we thought. Evident by him controlling all four elements and passing his gifts along to his mate. But they are just legends, and I’ve become a foolish old man. What do I know?”

The man sitting beside the old alpha nodded at what had been said. “I respect the opinions of my colleague here since he’s seen more moons than I think any of us. I’m not going to say I completely believe he’s an Elemental, though what little we’ve seen can’t easily be explained in any other way. John, would you be willing to schedule a session during the conference to discuss your pack’s capture versus kill program?”

“I’d be happy to. Dave Redmond and Maxx Collins have already switched to capture, and several of the others in our region are doing so as well. The further away from my pack it is, the longer it would take to work out the logistics for bringing Ethan to where he’s needed to heal them. If he and his mate are willing to travel, I’m sure this body can come up with viable plans.”

“They’re an ungodly pair, flaunting their depravity as they hold hands up there.” The same alpha from Mississippi who had called for Karissa to be silenced once again spoke with venom in his voice. “What’s to stop them from trying to forcibly take control of the Lycan Council? Or force all packs to fall in line with their vile agenda?”

“Amos, you might want to bite your tongue for once.” Dorian’s brow furrowed as he shook his head. “I had the misfortune of mouthing off and being extremely disrespectful to that young man twice. Before seeing him burst into flames or knowing he can pull off a hybrid. I walked him into a challenge for something that was entirely my fault. I didn’t like how a turnling stood up for himself.” He faced the Elemental, giving him a nod. “For someone so young and inexperienced in our ways, he showed extreme restraint in how he fought me. He could have used his gifts or simply the strength of his hybrid to rip me limb from limb, but he didn’t. He also gave me a taste of humility that I was sorely lacking. And I obviously needed. Like the way he fought me, his little show of strength in here was just enough to get his point across without harming anyone. He pushed us as a group to take back this council from a cancer that’s been tearing at us.” A smirk crossed his face. “As for ungodly depravity, I guess it doesn’t cover when your daughter gives birth to your son?”

Aiden leaned in to whisper in Ethan’s ear. “Did you do something to him during or after your fight?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Aiden thought he saw the slightest of smiles, but was not sure since the blond would not look at him.

“If he can truly cure a feral, then I for one would be up for working with him. At one point, those were our brothers and sisters, and we thought they were lost to us forever.”

“Ethan seems to be some type of beacon for them.” John continued. “Since his gifts began to manifest, we had an increase in feral activities. We also found they were trying to get to him. Most we encountered followed simple commands when surrounded and peacefully surrendered to our hunters. They acted like a non-lycan wolf instead of the mindless beast we took them for. A few even managed to reply with lunis speech or in the wolf language. It has varied with each feral, but they sought him out. Presumably sensing he could help them.”

When the questions about Ethan and the feral cure died down, Richard Drake joined John at the podium. “I believe there was one final item you wanted to discuss with the members here today?”

“Yes, there is. It’ll be presented by my associate, Aiden Jacobs-Tucker.”

“He’s not allowed to address this body since he isn’t an alpha.” The call came from the Mississippi leader.

Bryce stepped forward and read Aiden’s badge. “This identifies him as the Alpha Designate. You all know that gives him the status of alpha in any meeting. Besides, we’ve all seen he and his mate are full alphas in their own right and there are some in this hall who can’t make that claim.” He turned to Aiden. “The floor’s yours.”

Craig Jacobs watched with fatherly pride as his own alpha placed a hand on his shoulder. Being able to see his son address the Congress of Alphas within the great hall for the first time was an honor few beta’s would ever experience.

Aiden stood beside John and looked out at the mass of people. He took a deep breath to collect his thoughts as he felt Ethan squeeze his hand. “I feel I’ve been given many advantages by being born into a large and strong pack. Since that’s all I’ve known, I’m not sure if things would have been different in a smaller one. I’ve been exposed to experiences and people I might not have otherwise. One thing that’s second nature to me is having other types of shifters around. Being around a bear and a tiger is common, and I consider both my friends. Having a coyote or other species as two of my closest friends and advisors just seemed natural after my mate and I got to know them.

“Although Parker Valley allows other shifters to live in the territory, it did not allow those non-wolves to participate in pack events. That is until recently. Our alpha, in his wisdom, took note of the friendships my mate and I had with the non-wolves and that those friendships were the same as with our brothers and sisters. As a result, he spent more time getting to know the different types who call our territory home even though he already had a good working relationship with them.”

Aiden tried to gage people’s response to what he had said so far. “This body is called the Lycan Council and yet it’s made up of only wolf packs.” There was a rise in voices around the chamber. “Before I get shouted down, I ask that you hear me out with an open mind.” The room did quiet down. “Parker Valley last year opened up membership to any species of lycan living within our borders. To date, we have only one non-wolf who has not accepted the offer, yet he does participate in events with the pack now.

“Becoming a more inclusive pack has, in my own opinion, made us stronger. While I am not trying to push my views on any other pack, I submit for discussion during this session of the Congress the possibly of including other species of shifters into this body. In an effort to strengthen bonds and friendships as well as working out differences that lead to conflict. It can be something as simple as an ambassador to the Council or allowing others to join and be represented here side by side with the current alphas. There are potentially opportunities for trade and alliances which currently are limited.”

There was a lot of angry yelling from many parts of the cavern with one voice drowning out another.

Richard Drake finally called for order. “ENOUGH! Knock it off now. Aiden was given the opportunity to present an idea for possible debate to this assembly. The same as anyone else is allowed to do. I don’t seem to remember him saying he was passing this into our laws by himself, so I think you can all tone it down a bit.”

“He’s made an interesting observation.” A voice called from the back of the room. “I respectfully call for a vote on discussing Aiden’s proposal of including other species of lycan into the Council in tomorrow’s session.”

The Denali pack, one of the largest from Alaska, offered its support. “I second the proposal for discussion.”

The vote showed over sixty percent of the delegates willing to discuss the issue. Bryce shook Aiden’s hand as the results were read. “The motion is passed and further debate on the issue is now placed on the agenda for tomorrow’s meeting. If there’s nothing else for today, we stand in recess. Have a good evening everyone.”

******

Once the session finished for the day, John saw Sebastien Renard walking towards the exit. “Sebastien, if you’re available in an hour or so I’d like to discuss something with you.”

With his curiosity piqued, he nodded. “Lakeshore in one hour?”

John returned to his room where he found Jackie already back from her meetings. “I’m sorry we haven’t been able to spend as much time together this year.”

“It’s alright. I know why you’re staying so busy, and this is for the best of everyone here. Besides, our groups have been having some productive discussions for programs to push at home. Not everything can be settled here.”

“I asked to meet with Sebastien. We’re supposed to meet at the lakeshore in a little under an hour. Would you join me?”

“Of course.” She smiled and kissed him.

“I need to let Rafe and the others know.”

Just under an hour later, John, Jackie and a good portion of their delegation headed out to the lake. Sebastien was sitting on a bench with his beta and enforcer. The trio stood to respectfully greet Parker Valley.

John faced the former gang leader with his arms crossed. “Before we start, I’d like to say I’m in favor of a clean slate since you effectively turned state’s evidence. But as we discussed, the ultimate decision belongs to Aiden. I believe, for the moment at least, it’s common knowledge Jean-Pierre was killed when the bunker was raided.”

Sebastien nodded and waited for John to continue.

“To say there was too much information to go through in the time we had before this Congress would be an understatement. I’m thankful for you pointing us towards what we needed to focus on. I wanted to ask if you have any knowledge on a specific case.”

Again, Sebastien nodded. “I’ll try to answer if I can.”

“The Forest Moon Wolf Pack… Was your organization one of the groups that continually attacked them?”

Reclaiming his seat on the bench, Sebastien considered how best to answer. “I did hit them once at the request of the council. There should be emails and phone calls a couple years back to verify they ordered it. You may not have gotten that far in the documents yet. I’ll try to remember the year and month to help identify which hard drive it’s on. Even though my reach extended beyond Richard’s territory, my personnel that far out was for merchandise transport, not attacks. At a little over one thousand miles from my base, the logistics were not worth what they were asking me to do.

“The order was strike and kill. They didn’t want witnesses left. There’s no profit in that type of raid, and I was running a for-profit business. Not turning a profit tended to anger the investors. Even when they were the ones demanding those actions. What the Council paid for that endeavor only just covered the cost of personnel. I ended up eating the expense for transportation and equipment. After I turned them down for further attacks, they returned to using other sources of manpower.”

“Did you know what his situation was at the time?” John resolved to listen until the details were known. “Or the condition of his pack? Would it have mattered?”

“They wouldn’t say why they wanted him attacked. I read the report from my people after the raid. It stated a small group of wolves fiercely tried to defend their homes from attack and did well against a larger force. I saw it much like what my pack had gone through only substantially worse.” He thought about the situation for a moment. “I sometimes played both sides of the fence and after losing money on the operation, I was able to route some people to him who tried to help him fight. They captured one raiding party, though it was after they struck Richard’s pack. The prisoners didn’t provide anything useful during interrogation. The ones that survived were forced to fight in the arena or sold off. I felt if the Council wanted me to donate my time and resources, I would find other avenues for covering costs.”

“Thank you for being so forthcoming about it. I still don’t entirely know what to do about you, but as I said, the report I saw believed that the rogue leader had been killed.”

“To be honest, there have been many times over the years I didn’t know how to deal with myself. Living a life of greed and terror while trying to shield and protect others.” His eyes rose to the sky as he let out a breath he did not realize he was holding. “Looking at the faces of my pups and knowing I’m a monster makes me feel unworthy to be their father. Perhaps I am. Enjoying the adrenaline rush when I take something or someone by force is an addictive drug, more so than the one we helped the Council produce. I did like the control I had over others and the fear I could instill in my victims. I’m a hard and callous man who can be brutally ruthless when it serves the needs of my business. That’s how I retained my position and avoided being challenged.

“I felt that until someone was willing to stand up to take on the Council directly to rein in or end the corruption, I couldn’t stop my crimes or I would just be replaced by someone new and potentially more ruthless. I got into the gang to save my pack, but at what cost to other lycan? My attitude for years has been the only wolves who matter are my own. But are the lives of my pack mates worth destroying the lives of countless others? I’ve always convince myself it was, but someone pushed a mirror into my face and made me take a look.” Sebastien’s eyes rose to meet Aiden’s.

“I’m not sure I’m qualified to answer that.” John ran his hand through his hair. “I’m not really sure anyone is.”

“Step up and try to make a difference in some way.” Jackie challenged. “You’re doing so with the evidence you’ve provided, but you need to do more. You called yourself a monster for your actions, yet you claim you’re a man who tried to do all he could to protect his family and pack no matter the cost.” Her brows furrowed as she stared down the man. “While my wolf wants to slit your throat here and now, she also doesn’t see you the same way I saw my son.” Jackie’s expression softened. “At some point, you’re going to have to look your pups in the eyes again. Will you be a man who leads your pack and can make them proud or dwell on what ifs?”

She fell silent for a moment, trying to decide if she should continue. “I know what you did to my son while you had him as your guest. It would be difficult for any mother not to notice that scent. Especially since you’re not the first. I don’t need to forgive you since he brought it upon himself by seeking you out. Other things I’ve learned about him show he would have ended up with you or another like you. With the hatred he bore when exiled, he was out for vengeance at any cost.

“My son tried to get four of his friends to trap Ethan. They planned to rape and kill him because he was mated to Aiden. Ethan wasn’t his only victim. As a mother, I can only apologize to those he hurt. I can’t explain why he wanted to hurt them.” Jackie dabbed here eyes with a tissue. “I also did the only thing I could in the end and put him down myself. Even though he was in custody, I killed my own child to prevent him ever hurting others again.

“Just like I made a choice in giving my son a second chance to turn his life around and then taking his life, you now have a choice in how you proceed. I only hope the outcome is better this time.” Her eyes locked on his and flashed a fierce orange. “Because by the lunar gods, if it isn’t, there is no place on earth you can hide from my claws and fangs.”

Sebastien felt an unfamiliar shiver run down his spine as he unexpectedly yielded to her stare, baring his neck to the powerful luna. “I would suggest reviewing the information your allies took from the Security Director’s computer. His people had the training and ability to move around rapidly. They also didn’t mind killing and moving on if those were their orders. Continual attacks like those against a small pack make for good training exercises or for freeing up territory to later be claimed by someone else. Hopefully with this shakeup, those kinds of attacks against Richard and others will end.”

“Hopefully after this, the only attacks that take place will be if there’s a challenge or some type of justifiable dispute. No more of this backstabbing, though I know it’s too soon to hope for that.” John stood and actually shook Sebastien’s hand.

“We have reservations at the main restaurant.” Jackie also extended her hand. “Would you and your party care to join us?”

“We would be honored, Ma’am.”

******

The first week of Congress progressed better than John and his allies had expected. The overwhelming evidence against the convicted individuals held down the chances of violence. The firm stand of packs not involved in criminal activities against those that were, helped. The full assembly of alphas met for a fourth day in a row to try and restore confidence in the Council for all members. Bryce and Richard were still acting co-chairmen of the meetings.

Bryce took the lead guiding the agenda for the day. “Yesterday, we decided to open discussion on if we should include other groups of shifters in the Lycan Council. Now seems as good a time as any to proceed with the topic. Richard and I request you keep the discussion civil. The floor is now open for debate on this matter. Keep it to one speaker at a time. No shouting over each other.”

An alpha from Colorado spoke first. “Including the bears and other shifters is an interesting idea, but they’re not social animals to the extent we are. Would we be able to work with them in a way suitable for both our species? Does anyone even know if they would have any interest in taking part in this assembly?”

“They may not be social animals as you stated, but there are several bear territories around North America with sizable clans living in them. Many are in proximity to wolf packs including yours.” One of his colleagues called out from the side of the room. “Do you have any type of open relation with them?”

“Yeah, but they’re my neighbors.”

“I think that was the original point the young man from Parker Valley was making when he proposed this discussion.”

“Several of us spoke with the representative for the bear clans in the Northeast at a regional alpha meeting. He expressed interest in the idea of being involved with us on some level no matter how basic. When asked about continent-wide representation, he was equally interested in seeing where it could go. Whatever level would need to be ironed out. Even if it were to open it up to them sending ambassadors to meet with us, it would be a step towards more open relationships.” John noted his colleagues were listening for once. “I understand there are some who don’t want another species of lycan living in their territory, and I respect that since it’s the choice of any given pack. For my own, we have always allowed non-wolves to live among us. As Aiden stated yesterday, through his influence and actions I invited non-wolves to become full members. We felt it strengthened our pack and unified the lycan living within our borders instead of isolating them. While I can’t say it would work with every pack, it has worked out well for us.”

“I have to agree with John. I was at that meeting he mentioned with the bear rep.” Karissa took the floor and smirked at the glares she received. “This idea has the potential of making our assembly stronger by having other voices in it. We know the bears, felines, avians, and coyotes were attacked by rogue gangs and some of the criminal packs the same as the wolves. The gangs are sometimes made up of different species of lycan, be it lupus, lunis, bear, lynx, or even birds. Having open dialogue with the others could have assisted in ending this problem sooner.

“If we reach out to the bears, we could ask them for ambassadors on a trial basis. If it works out, keep it at that level. Or discuss extending them temporary voting rights to make sure it works for all involved. The same could eventually be done with any other sizable group of shifter living within North America. As a smart young man pointed out, we are the Lycan Council, not the Wolf Council.”

“I’ll admit John and Karissa make valid points about the possibility of including the other shifters in this body.” A traditionalist alpha from Georgia stood. “However, as was also pointed out, they are not social animals like us. Yes, many bears or avians live in communities similar to our own, but they never built any type of extended government like we did. In a lot of cases, the bears seem to be more scattered and live their lives by themselves. As for the coyotes, we don’t need a group of scavengers coming in here to try and get handouts. Most of the coyotes I’ve met are just as useless as the non-lycan variety. I for one don’t see including the other shifters into an organization built by wolves as a viable option.”

The alpha from Mississippi’s other pack took the floor with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face. “Ever since this organization was founded, it’s been a place for the alphas of wolf packs to meet. I don’t care how you try to spin the name. We were wolves only to start and should stay wolves only. I don’t allow any non-lupus lycan to live in my territory, and I generally advise them not to even try and visit. Wolves are the top of the food chain as far as lycan go for a reason.”

“My esteemed colleague from Mississippi is perfectly within his right to administer his territory as he sees fit and remain in the eighteenth century as are others here. That doesn’t change the fact we have a historic opportunity to open continent-wide communications with additional shifters. Groups who only get included in regional discussions at best.” The alpha from Alaska smirked at the man he slapped down. “My pack is fortunate to have good relations with our neighbors of all species, and we freely work together on many different projects. When disputes have occurred between my pack and another group, the bears or avians have mediated the issue as a completely neutral party. I for one would welcome the additional voices. I think requesting they send ambassadors here would benefit us.”

“If it would help this discussion along, why don’t we actually ask the bears what they think?” Karissa saw nods, glares, and a few other gestures from her counterparts. “I made arrangements for the representatives of four different regional groups of bears to be at a nearby resort. They could come before this assembly during this afternoon’s session to answer questions. Their presence here would be strictly for discussion. To allow us to feel out their interest, which should be obvious by them making the trip. We could also find out where they hope this type of relationship with the council will go.

“I say, bring the bears here and let’s hear what they have to say.” Dorian called out. “I formally second Karissa’s motion and call for a vote.”

Bryce moved to the podium. “A vote has been called, so if you would please register your selection.”

Several minutes later, Richard read off the results. “The motion has passed with fifty-nine percent wanting to hear from the bear delegation. Karissa, if you would, notify them we will meet with them this afternoon.”

******

“Mister Chairman, since further discussion on the non-wolf matter is tabled until this afternoon, I suggest we discuss the matter of council leadership. Since at present we have none beyond our two colleagues acting as co-chairmen.”

Bryce turned towards Richard who nodded for him to take the lead. “If there are no objections, we will move on to the leadership question for the remainder of the morning session.” Hearing none, he continued. “I open the floor up for discussion.”

“I’d like to suggest a fundamental change in how the leadership council is made up.” Many people expected this, but coming from John it carried more weight. “For years, it’s been elections of all officials, many of whom have shown to be more interested in what the position can get them, than how they can best serve our people.” He glanced around to gage the members’ response. “The leadership has been made up of people for their perceived administration skills instead of their ability to lead a pack. This has meant non-alphas guided the Council under our supervision or lack thereof.” He saw numerous people nodding. “Many of our packs have former alphas who stepped down from serving but are still important resources to us all. I would like to propose election of a council president only, or a chief alpha if you will.”

“When you said fundamental change, I didn’t think you meant starting from scratch, John.”

“I think we can salvage most of our structure, but big changes are needed. Instead of a cabinet, the remainder of the leadership would be made up of alphas who have gone into retirement. They will guide the chief alpha and keep him or her true to their post, which should be to assist the packs that are members of this organization. The position of chief alpha should only be held by an active alpha from this point forward.”

“John, I can’t speak for others, but I usually have enough to worry about running my own pack. I can’t imagine trying to run this on top of it.”

“Would you allow another administrator to run things after the years of problems we’ve had?” John stared down the man who spoke. “We need someone who understands the responsibility of running a pack, not a corporate executive and board of directors who see a high-paid position with embezzlement options. These non-alphas we elected into governing roles have raped, robbed, trafficked, and murdered our own for too long.”

“He’s right. We have let a corporate board run wild and destroy anyone who couldn’t pay or spoke out against them. With an alpha at the helm, it’s at least one of our own keeping an eye on the store.”

“Finally, I would suggest we overhaul the Security Division and neuter their ability to cause harm to any pack. They should be an intelligence gathering agency that works for us and can provide useful and timely information. Not an armed paramilitary branch that’s used against packs or assists the gangs. We need to keep tabs on threats to us, be it the humans, other lycan, or gangs. If a force needs to be raised to fight against anyone, the packs should step forward like they did to fight the gang in New York.” John was about to sit when he decided to add an additional thought. “A full review and reorganization of the prisons operated under the Security Division wouldn’t be a bad idea either. Find out who’s actually being held prisoner.”

There was a lot of clamoring around the hall following John’s suggestions. He took his seat as different groups of alphas talked amongst themselves.

Mark Jennings took the floor to assist in guiding the discussion. “I like John’s idea. As an addition to his proposal, I suggest the choice of which retired alphas serve be done randomly. That way, no pack will be able to claim someone was unfairly chosen.” He put a slide on the projection monitors listing all the living alphas in retirement. “Those selected should serve for no more than two years before stepping down to be replaced by another group chosen at random. Better financial reporting back to the packs also needs to be addressed, so we know exactly where our money’s being spent. No more funding diverted to massive building projects to support the gangs.” He saw lots of nodding heads to that. “I know we have a lot of work to rebuild this group from leadership to finance, information technology to record keeping. Judging by the way this Congress has acted given everything that’s come to light this year, I would say we have a good chance of coming out of this darkness.”

“On the matter of new leadership for this council, I would like to nominate Richard Drake for president.” Karissa smirked at the man. “I suppose I should say for Chief Alpha.”

Bryce tried to stifle his laugh at the expression of horror followed by annoyance as Richard glared at Karissa. “We hadn’t expected to go to nominations while discussing restructuring the council, but I suppose now is as good a time as any.”

“Richard’s barely able to hold his own pack together.” A North Dakota pack leader called out. “He may be doing a decent job as acting co-chair of this year’s congress, but that doesn’t mean he’s capable of leading the Council.”

“With respect, if we make the changes John has proposed, anyone who attains the position of alpha is qualified. I would think a leader who’s held a pack together under conditions you or I have never faced is inherently qualified.” Karissa used her best condescending smile. “Besides, your objection doesn’t change the fact that my nomination has been made. Unless he declines, when the time comes his name will be on the ballot.”

“I nominate John Stockdale. He brought these problems to light, and he has good suggestions for fixing things.” A smaller Wisconsin pack called out. “That is the type of leadership we need right now.”

“I nominate Bryce MacKay.”

In the end, there were seven nominations for chief alpha. The election would take place towards the end of the second week

“John, would you be able to pull together a committee to write up the bylaw changes and present a formal proposal of your ideas for revamping the council’s leadership by Monday’s session?” Richard reviewed the notes he had on the upcoming schedule. “I’d like us to have enough time to discuss and debate the changes before a vote on new leadership. Judging by the nomination of so many alphas to run the council, I’d say your suggestions are well-liked already.”

“Yes, I think we can put something together by then. Anyone who wishes to help out, come see me after today’s session or send me a text.”

“We’ll break for lunch and resume this afternoon when we meet with the delegates from the bear clans.” Bryce gaveled the meeting to a close.

Ethan rubbed his temples to ease the headache he had. “Alpha, how do you make it through these meetings without wanting to rip someone’s head off?”

John laughed. “You don’t. The challenge is not following through on that desire.”

A whisper from his mate caused Ethan’s heart to race. “We’re eating quick so we can go to our room. I need to burn off some energy and frustration after all this. We both might need pillows to sit on later.”

 

******

The afternoon session began as the delegates took their seats. Karissa escorted four guests in. It was the first time since the wolves had taken control of the area that a non-wolf had set foot in the cavern. The four men, ranging from their forties to early sixties, took in the impressive sight around them. Karissa introduced her guests who were offered seats near the stage. “Gentlemen, I would like to present Lee Barrows representing the Northeast clans. Michael Edwards from the Pacific Northwest. Adam Blackbear from the Rocky Mountains. And Chad Thomas from Alaska and Northwestern Canada.”

Lee Barrows was a large, burly man with dark curly hair sticking out of the top of his shirt. A Kodiak bear, his species made him larger than many of the wolves who surrounded him. “Thank you, Alpha Ryan. And thank you, members of the Lycan Council for this opportunity to meet with you. To make things easier, I’ve been appointed by our group to act as spokesperson. However, any of my colleagues will be happy to answer questions presented to us. Regardless of the outcome, just the fact we were invited to speak with you in this grand hall says more than I could express.”

Richard directed the first question to their guests. “Mister Barrows, what is your desire for an outcome to this meeting?”

“The easy answer is opening a more formal dialogue between our species. Having discussed the matter before arriving, if the wolves should choose to allow it, we would request to send one or a small group to represent our kind in your great council. We feel the more open communications could potentially benefit us all.” Lee’s hand moved by instinct to his beard, stroking it into a point. “My position within the bear community is to act as a mediator if a conflict comes up between clans. I also try to keep working relations open with any wolf packs that are nearby. I’m essentially an ambassador within my species and geographical region now.”

Dorian stood and waited to speak.

“The chair recognizes Alpha Jackman.”

“Thank you, Mister Chairman.” Dorian turned his attention to the guests. “Do the bears expect a full voting seat in this group from the start and eventually seek one seat per clan as we do with each pack?”

“Definitely not, Alpha Jackman. That may be the case someday, but it’s far too soon to even consider such a thing. What we’ve discussed between ourselves and with the packs that invited us is potentially sending an ambassador to your council or a group of ambassadors based on region. We are not asking for voting rights in this body. Simply a voice so concerns can be more easily raised would suffice. As relations grow, the level of inclusiveness can be further discussed. We don’t wish to force our way in if it’s decided we’re not wanted. But if you do choose to include us, it would be one more voice in the chorus of addressing and avoiding conflicts.”

“I don’t see any issue with ambassadors. That would give us time to adjust as we make needed changes anyway. And as he said, it would improve communications between our kinds.” An impish smile spread across Dorian’s face. “I cede the remainder of my time to the gentleman from Mississippi as I see he wishes to speak.” He returned to his seat. “Pity we don’t have popcorn here. This should be entertaining to hear what the low end of the gene pool has to say.”

“Don’t try to act like a statesman in an attempt to make yourself relevant in real discussions, Dorian.” The man turned his attention towards the bears. “And what about the packs that want nothing to do with your kind?”

“If you want nothing to do with us, simply don’t speak to us as has been the case with some packs for generations.” A smirk crossed Lee’s face. “I feel obligated to point out something. We know you specifically want nothing to do with our kind in talks or us passing through your territory. But you personally requested and received assistance from multiple clans following both hurricanes and flood disasters.”

The debate went on long into the afternoon. The tides shifted back and forth as various viewpoints were heard. Some packs were in favor of inclusion, while others were dead opposed to it. At the end of the day, following a contentious vote called by the Denali alpha, the wolves voted to allow the bears five ambassadors to the council on a two year trial basis.

Running with the Pack, WolfM, 2012-2016, All Rights Reserved
  • Like 99
  • Love 47
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Another great chapter! Lots of progress with the meeting, although not too many surprises. Your writing style definitely keeps what could be dreary governance proceedings from being a snore. :D

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Great chapter again. A lot of information and a lot of changes for the Lycan counsel to deal with. I think most will realize that the changes will be for the best and those not in favor will probably, over time, lose younger members who leave to join more modern packs.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I loved this chapter and the way you make this story flow. But I have to say I too thought there would be more reaction to Ethan and Aiden, also the fact that they have a lion shifter in their pack and the fact that he is mated to a wolf and coyote.

 

Second is it just me or does anybody else think that Dorian and Karissa would make a cute couple. Now I know we had some problems with Dorian but I think he has learned his lesson and is making a real effort to help support John and coe. Get their views and ideas across to the rest of alphas and really seems to be changing for the better. Plus karissa seems like the no nonsense kind of woman and could easily put him in his place if he ever gets out of line, but again this is just a thought.

 

And lastly the elder alpha said that elementals appear only in times of crisis so does that mean Ethan is the only one that will exist in his life time or is it possible to pass on his gifts to offspring? I know their is still some time before Ethan and Aiden are ready to have kids but what that Alph had said just got me thinking is all though its a little left of field. Anyway great chapter and can't wait for next one.

 

P.S.
I have to get this off my mind (it like a broken record in my brain right now, and has been playing for a while now) if and I do mean IF Ethan is an Elemental and is something akin to mother nature who is a producer of not only the elements and nature but life its self then shouldn't Ethan in theory also be able to support or produce life...? :)

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 06/07/2016 09:49 AM, Lux Apollo said:

Another great chapter! Lots of progress with the meeting, although not too many surprises. Your writing style definitely keeps what could be dreary governance proceedings from being a snore. :D

Thank you Lux. I didn't know how this one would play out for the readers. I wanted to show the council working on their problems but worried it might come across as boring

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 06/07/2016 10:24 AM, Buz said:

Its like a drug innit? When I first came on GA this morning, this chapter wasn't here. I was surprised at how upset I was. Not bat-shit crazy upset. Just like, 'Noooooo! Where is it? It's Tuesday (I live in New Zealand so time zone) so it should be here!?!?!'

I LOVE this story. It's just so cool.

In regards to this chapter, the three things that kinda jumped out at me were:

a) I thought that Parker Valley Pack having a Solaris would have caused more of a re-action. They are pretty rare.

B) I am worried about the whole '...Elementals tend to come into existence when there is trouble afoot...', etc. Is there something worse than what has been going on with Rogues coming?

I am also worried about Aiden and Ethan travelling to other areas to cure Ferals. That gives others opportunities to plan things against them whilst they are Out and About. Not that I am saying they can't handle themselves or should hide away. It's just, you know...

c) Yay for the Bear Ambassadors!

Just in case you missed it, LOVE this story!

Thank you Buz :) Solaris are rare, but Darius is able to mask his scent, making him appear more like he would be a human hunter. While he's gone animal, it has only been around a few people.

 

With regards to legends of Elementals coming around when there's trouble, it could just be the trouble that was facing the council between the corruption and the rogue problem, but that's just a thought.

 

How Ethan eventually deals with ferals beyond his pack is still in the planning stages, but you're right. It does always leave open the possibility of an ambush.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 06/07/2016 11:29 AM, avidreadr said:

Great chapter again. A lot of information and a lot of changes for the Lycan counsel to deal with. I think most will realize that the changes will be for the best and those not in favor will probably, over time, lose younger members who leave to join more modern packs.

Thank you Avid :) Some packs want to keep things as they are and others see progress as survival.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I believe that the group of Alpha's have the right idea as well as the bears in that ambassador to the council be a good starting point in the endeavor to make the council more inclusive with other shifters in North America. I truly believe that Aiden and Ethan can stand alone as Alpha's in their own right if they wanted to, but I truly believe that what they want at this point is to get to know the new friends they have met at the conference. I know from reading this whole story before that they get more time getting to know about the new friends they made by talking to them each and every one of them and they listen to what is being said as far as the way their friends handle the duties of an Alpha since they are same sex couples as well. I'm really enjoying the story more now that I've gone back to read most of the story again, thank you for writing this story. :2thumbs:

  • Like 5
Link to comment
53 minutes ago, Butcher56 said:

I believe that the group of Alpha's have the right idea as well as the bears in that ambassador to the council be a good starting point in the endeavor to make the council more inclusive with other shifters in North America. I truly believe that Aiden and Ethan can stand alone as Alpha's in their own right if they wanted to, but I truly believe that what they want at this point is to get to know the new friends they have met at the conference. I know from reading this whole story before that they get more time getting to know about the new friends they made by talking to them each and every one of them and they listen to what is being said as far as the way their friends handle the duties of an Alpha since they are same sex couples as well. I'm really enjoying the story more now that I've gone back to read most of the story again, thank you for writing this story. :2thumbs:

Thanks Butcher.  Aiden and Ethan could definitely stand on their own as Alphas due to how powerful they are, but for all that power they also have the compassion to go with it.  They are willing to listen to anyone.  They enjoyed meeting their new friends and are wanting to get to know them better.  It gives them some insight into being Alphas when the time comes.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Another great chapter.  I'm enjoying the emphasis on diversity, and occasionally smirking at the traditional regional viewpoints.  You're juggling a lot of varied interactions and personalities in this chapter, and it flows very smoothly.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 9/18/2019 at 12:47 PM, Backwoods Boy said:

Another great chapter.  I'm enjoying the emphasis on diversity, and occasionally smirking at the traditional regional viewpoints.  You're juggling a lot of varied interactions and personalities in this chapter, and it flows very smoothly.

Thank you, Backwoods :)  Bringing in so many people was a challenge, but thankfully it worked.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Jackie dabbed herJackie dabbed here eyes with a tissue. e eyes with a tissue.  – Jackie dabbed her eyes with a tissue. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Bft

Posted (edited)

Amos is an idiot, isn’t he ungodly and depraved as he can shift into a wolf? So many Lycan are just as narrow minded and bigoted as Christians are thinking that anyone who doesn’t believe in their book of fairytales is abnormal. What has happened to Dorian all of a sudden has he been given a be nice to everyone injection, what has Ethan done to him? 

Edited by Bft
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 10/10/2021 at 12:01 AM, Bft said:

Amos is an idiot, isn’t he ungodly and depraved as he can shift into a wolf? So many Lycan are just as narrow minded and bigoted as Christians are thinking that anyone who doesn’t believe in their book of fairytales is abnormal. What has happened to Dorian all of a sudden has he been given a be nice to everyone injection, what has Ethan done to him? 

Amos was kind of fun to throw in the mix. Especially with Dorian making the comment about the guy fathering a son with his own daughter. It may have been a stereotypical comment about the deep south, but... ;)

Well, Dorian did get his ass handed to him a couple times at the conference. Ethan beat the crap out of him. Maybe he's just on his best behavior, or maybe it's something more.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

A dry as dirt political scene was anything but dry.  Great job of adding humour and interest into a subject that normally no one likes, politics.  Dorian is definitely changed.  Now that he has, I am much more sympathetic to him and wonder if the sour smell he had at first is still there.  Did or does he have some medical problem that caused the smell?  Did shaking hands and fighting with Ethan have some affect other than to deflate his ego?  Does Dorian still need to be healed?  I did love the humour of this chapter.  Also, want to say that Dorian's pack may be in for many surprises when he returns home.  I hope we get an update on those changes I am sure he will make.

  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 4/20/2022 at 9:13 PM, raven1 said:

A dry as dirt political scene was anything but dry.  Great job of adding humour and interest into a subject that normally no one likes, politics.  Dorian is definitely changed.  Now that he has, I am much more sympathetic to him and wonder if the sour smell he had at first is still there.  Did or does he have some medical problem that caused the smell?  Did shaking hands and fighting with Ethan have some affect other than to deflate his ego?  Does Dorian still need to be healed?  I did love the humour of this chapter.  Also, want to say that Dorian's pack may be in for many surprises when he returns home.  I hope we get an update on those changes I am sure he will make.

The Lycan Congress chapters were the ones that made me the most nervous to post. Even if they totally bombed, it was still part of the story I wanted to tell, but I'm happy they worked out as well as they did.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Politics is an abhorrent profession... As practiced by professionals. Yet it is sometimes the only means to keep out of war (see diplomacy).

People, as a whole, do not like change. Conservatives as a whole detest change without good reason. Ultra conservatives refuse change (unless it makes their life easier).

You don't want to hear my views on Liberalism, as it is practiced today.

Having noted all of the above, I liked the last two chapters. They show how wolves are essentially a conservative creature. They also show how a few of them are liberal (in the sense of Thomas Jefferson - not in any sense of how it is portrayed today).

I agree that there would have been much more discussion about the 'Elemental Problem.' Oh well, can't have everything, can we?!

Still, great chapters, @WolfM.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 1/21/2023 at 4:00 AM, Al Norris said:

Politics is an abhorrent profession... As practiced by professionals. Yet it is sometimes the only means to keep out of war (see diplomacy).

People, as a whole, do not like change. Conservatives as a whole detest change without good reason. Ultra conservatives refuse change (unless it makes their life easier).

You don't want to hear my views on Liberalism, as it is practiced today.

Having noted all of the above, I liked the last two chapters. They show how wolves are essentially a conservative creature. They also show how a few of them are liberal (in the sense of Thomas Jefferson - not in any sense of how it is portrayed today).

I agree that there would have been much more discussion about the 'Elemental Problem.' Oh well, can't have everything, can we?!

Still, great chapters, @WolfM.

I thought I was going a little overboard on this group of events, but was surprised at how much people enjoyed lycan politics. You describe it well between conservative and liberal within the wolf system. While they do discuss the 'Elemental Problem', they realize there are greater issues that take priority.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..