Jump to content
    WolfM
  • Author
  • 6,775 Words
  • 21,712 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Running with the Pack - 20. Chapter 20

Ethan stared at the body that moments before was covered in fur. His vision blurring and head spinning, he collapsed as his world went dark. Aiden caught him in time and carried him to a chair. Everyone else in the room stood in stunned silence at what they had seen. Casey had been present when Ethan defended them, but he wasn’t sure what to think of this latest act, other than he had one amazing brother.

Doctor MacRae checked Ethan before turning his attention to the now human appearing lunis. When he looked back to see the teen’s eyes were open again, he frowned. “What did you do?”

Ethan was still a little dizzy. “I don’t know. I could feel something was wrong with him. I think I fixed it.”

John nodded towards the sleeping human form. “The feral scent, it’s gone. I have a feeling if you run some new tests you’ll find the chemical imbalance you mentioned will be gone as well.”

“How is that possible? There is no known medical cure for a feral. All he did was touch the lunis.”

“It’s hard to explain.” The alpha walked over to inspect their guest. He helped Doctor MacRae lift the unconscious man onto the bed.

Ian ran his fingers through his hair trying to process what had happened. “I agreed to let them come here because they were acting different from other ferals. They did respond to commands. But I fully expected I’d have to put them down.” He thought over everything since they had been brought in. “That must be it. They weren’t really feral after all. It’s the only medical explanation.”

“Not everything can be explained by science, my good doctor.” John patted the man’s shoulder before moving to check on the miracle worker.

Concern for his pup filled Aiden’s eyes. “Do you want to rest a bit or do you feel up to seeing the other one? Personally, I’d like you to wait since you did, you know… pass out.”

“I’m okay. I’ll do it now. He should sleep for a while anyways.” Ethan waved his hand towards the dozing man.

Following the doctor and alpha into the next room, they found the lupus sitting expectantly. When it saw Ethan, it laid down and rolled onto its back giving a small whimper.

Ethan approached it and knelt at its side. Running his hand along its head for a moment, he found the spot he wanted, and placed the other on the wolf’s chest. This time they all saw the glow become brighter in his eyes. After nearly a half hour, he pulled away and passed out, ending up in Aiden’s arms again. Like the lunis, this one also reverted to his human form and fell into a deep sleep. The scent of a feral immediately dissipated, replaced by the smell of a healthy lycan wolf.

The doctor turned towards Ethan seeing his eyes flutter open. “Okay, you. Exam time just to make sure you’re okay after performing your little miracles. Aiden, carry him to exam room two.” He glared at John. “Apparently some things are out of the realm of science.” Realizing his actions and tone, Ian dipped his head, baring his neck. “I’m sorry, Alpha.”

The pack leader patted the younger doctor’s shoulder as they followed the trio down the hall.

He gave Ethan a full exam: hooking him up to every monitor imaginable to scan brain waves to heart beat, checking his vitals, making sure the dizziness had passed, and demanding he drink some juice before declaring the teen fit to leave and go home.

As Casey, Aiden, and Ethan headed out, the smaller teen turned to the doctor. “I’ll be back tomorrow after they wake up to see how they’re doing.”

John gave a little chuckle. “You just might have some competition for your job soon, Doc.”

Once inside his private office, the doctor turned to his leader. “Alpha, what the hell just happened? I realize you know something regarding Ethan, which is why I relented and allowed them to see the ferals. You said to trust you, and I do. With what I’ve seen, you have important reasons for it staying secret as long as possible. I have two patients now, and possibly a third after seeing the effect whatever that was had on him.”

The alpha crossed his arms knowing the doctor was right. “There are eight people who already know what I’m about to tell you. Discussion outside of those people is strictly forbidden without my express permission.”

Doctor MacRae nodded. “I understand, Alpha.”

“Ian, our young human looking friend appears to be what legend would call an Elemental. In his case, a being with the ability to control and manipulate water. I don’t know if his abilities will extend beyond the control of water to other elements.”

The physician blinked, his mouth opened yet nothing came out. He finally burst into laughter thinking his leader was pulling some massively elaborate prank on him. “I know some of the elders like to joke about your love for old stories, myths, and legends. Since I’ve been here, I’ve learned what a jokester you can be with the things you pull on people. This is by far the best practical joke I’ve had played on me and probably one of the best in history. You had me completely fooled.” He studied John’s face and noticed there wasn’t even a hint of a smile. “Wait, you’re… No, you can’t be… You are serious, aren’t you?”

“I’m very serious. Though I haven’t witnessed it myself beyond what he just did, that young man is the one who killed the last lunis that was brought in here by shredding it with ice.”

“What did we just see? How did he cure them? I’m still not sure what I saw beyond his eye’s glowing blue.”

“There’s very little information, and it’s mostly legend and rumor. Just like their existence is only based in myth. Those who have the ability to control water are said to have healing powers. We are made up of mostly water after all. Druids are said to have the ability to heal others as well, and based on the genetic tests you had done, we know he has a Celtic background. A combination of the two could make for a very powerful healer. We both witnessed him cure two wolves with a touch.”

“Any thoughts about when the lunis said ‘the small one I seek’?”

“No real clue, Ian. Though we’ve had a major uptick in ferals since Ethan joined us. These two seemed to be trying to reach him when they were captured. The one he killed somehow made it deep in the territory past our hunters. It can’t be a coincidence it ended up near him. It’s possible they can sense him in some way we can’t, and know he can help them. I’m just guessing though. There is so much about him we can’t explain, know, or help him with. Even you described him as a mystery. We’re really just putting what we see with legends we’ve heard about and matching the two up.”

“Thank you, Alpha. I’ll quietly see what I can find. I know a few researchers with access to ancient texts that might have something.”

“I’ve got one of the Elders looking into it as well. Coordinate with James before you contact anyone. He taught this stuff and is an expert. Remember, secrecy is of the utmost importance. We need to keep his existence hidden as long as possible. Let me know when your two patients wake up. We can find them better housing if and when they’re deemed safe.”

“Yes, Alpha.”

******

Outside, the trio headed for Casey’s truck. Aiden was still concerned about his mate passing out twice. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yeah, I’m good. Just a little tired. Kind of took a lot out of me healing them.” Ethan abruptly stopped, his face paled as panic spread across it. “Oh God, that wolf I killed. What if it was just trying to get to me to help it like these two were? I might have killed a wolf that just wanted help.” HIs eyes locked on Aiden before quickly shifting to Casey. His body began to tremble as tears streamed down his cheeks. Adrenaline kicked in as he was gripped with dread at the thought of what he had done and how things might have turned out. The horrible what ifs running like wildfire through his mind as he began to hyperventilate.

“Ethan! PUP! Look at me. You’re going to pass out if you don’t get your breathing under control.” He was about to carry his mate back to the clinic. “You can’t think like that about the dead wolf. None of us knew what its intentions were, and it was charging us. With what we knew of ferals then, if you hadn’t acted, Casey and I would have fought it and killed it.”

“Bro, if it hadn’t come at us like that, it would still be alive. It might have been trying to get to you for help, but it might have been trying to kill us.”

Aiden pulled Ethan against him, holding him tight. “We can do what if until we’re blue in the face and still not know for sure. It doesn’t change that we had to protect ourselves from something that looked to be attacking us. Whatever it is in you that helps you with your gift, told you to protect yourself and us. Just like it told you to come here to help these two wolves.”

Finally getting in the truck, Aiden sat in back with his mate while Casey watched them for a moment. Both were concerned about Ethan’s renewed anxiety over killing a wolf.

“You want me to drop you guys at your place or at Mom and Dad’s?”

Aiden watched Ethan and saw his eyes droop from his panic attack passing. “Your parents. I think I need to get him tucked in before he’s completely out.”

A few minutes later, Casey pulled up in front of his parent’s house. Ethan was fast asleep in Aiden’s arms.

Mary, seeing them walk towards the kitchen door, opened it before Casey could. “Good Lord. Can’t you let him have one day of peace? What did you boys do to him today?” Her voice was quiet, but sharp with frustration.

“He just over did it a little, Mom.”

“Well, if you’d kept in mind that he’s human and tries to keep up with what you young wolves can do, maybe you wouldn’t keep wearing him out,” she scolded.

The two exchanged looks of, if she only knew.

A couple hours later, Ethan came downstairs looking a little rested. He walked to Aiden who was talking with Casey, and sat on his lap. Aiden wrapped his arms around his mate while Ethan laid his head on the large shoulder.

Jack, Ryan, and Zach looked up from the floor where they were taking turns playing video games. “Mom left a plate of food for you. It just needs to be heated up,” Ryan told him.

“Thanks, but I’m not really hungry.”

“It’s your life, but I don’t want to be around if Mom finds out you didn’t eat something.” Casey threw his arms up exaggeratedly causing his brothers to start nodding as they all laughed.

Aiden stood, putting Ethan on the floor. “Come on you. I’m definitely not going to let Mary get upset with me.” The two headed to the kitchen.

They sat in silence for a while as Ethan picked at his food, with Aiden taking a few bites for himself.

“Why is all this happening to me?” He put his fork down and rested his head in his hands. “I’m given something that lets me heal, but also lets me kill. I don’t know if I can handle this.”

Aiden thoughtfully chewed on a piece of pot roast. “I don’t have a good answer for you other than because it’s supposed to happen. I’d say that your experience up to this point has probably made you strong enough to see this through. You’ll have me, Casey, and all the rest of us at your side. No matter what, you’re still that beautiful human I first saw in the forest after catching your scent on the breeze. We’ll figure this all out eventually. For me, it doesn’t change a thing.”

******

Doctor MacRae arrived at the clinic early the following morning and went to check on his two patients. A guard remained posted outside the door to both rooms. Freshly rested ones arrived as he approached first room.

One of the overnight guards reported as his shift ended. “Everything’s been quiet all night, Doc. The nurses have been in and out a few times to check on them.”

Pausing a moment to knock on the door, the doctor slowly opened it to find the human formed lunis curled up on a blanket on the floor. His eyes shot open and he peered around as though trying to figure out where he was and how he got there.

“It’s okay. You’re safe here. No one will hurt you.”

The healed feral watched the doctor for a few moments before nodding.

Ian took a seat. “You’re in our pack’s medical clinic. How are you feeling today?”

“Feels okay. How gets here?”

“You crossed into our territory. Do you remember anything in the last couple days?”

“Head cloudy. No sure what real.”

“Well, you seem to be able to understand me enough, so that is a good sign. Your mind should hopefully clear up in time. Are you hungry?”

He nodded. “Hungry. Yes.”

“I’ll have food brought to you. My name is Ian. I’m the doctor here. Do you remember your name?”

He paused a few moments to think. “Jonas.”

“I’ll be back to check on you after you’ve eaten. It’s nice meeting you, Jonas.” The doctor left the room, picked up the phone in the corridor, and asked to have meals brought to both guests.

Next, he went to the room with the now human-looking lupus. Entering, he found him crouched on the floor, sitting as most shifters do in wolf form. Ian stood still as his patient sniffed the air. Once he had the scent of the doctor, he relaxed.

Once again sitting, the doctor tried to put his patient at ease. “How are you feeling?”

The patient nodded his head, but did not speak.

“Are you able to speak? It’s okay if you can’t. It might take a while for that to come back to you.”

Cocking his head to the side, he looked like he was trying to form words, but nothing came out. Getting frustrated, he growled a few times; the doctor recognized curse words in wolf language.

“Don’t worry. You don’t need to talk yet. It seems you can understand me so that’s a start. Food is on the way as I’m guessing you’re hungry.”

He nodded.

“I’ll be back to see you after you’ve had a chance to eat. We’ll get things figured out. My name is Ian. Rest and I’ll see you soon.”

The doctor moved to his office to check the overnight reports on the two patients. He saw lab results on the desk for both; blood was drawn while they slept. Comparing them to the previous set when they were brought in, it confirmed what the alpha suspected. The imbalance in their systems was corrected, and they appeared to be completely healthy lycan now.

******

Ethan woke feeling rested. He got ready and headed downstairs for breakfast. Rafe and Mary were already in the kitchen.

“Good morning, sunshine.” Mary’s smile and voice was as happy as ever.

“Morning. What’s on the schedule for today at the job site?”

Mary cleared her throat before Rafe could say anything. “No talking about work yet. Breakfast first and after you’re out the door you can talk about it.”

“Yes, ma’am. I’m sorry.”

“Yes, dear. Actually, I was thinking of giving you the day off since you’ve had so much going on lately.”

“I’m doing okay. I need to feel like I’m pulling my own weight, and staying busy keeps me from thinking about things.”

Mary glared over her shoulder. “Didn’t I say no work talk?”

Casey arrived as they were finishing. “Did I miss breakfast?”

“That’ll be the day when you miss a meal. You live on your own and have your own kitchen. One that you’re supposed to stock up with food. And you still expect me to cook for you.” She joked.

“But, Mom, you’re the best cook around.”

“Sit down and I’ll fix you something.”

Once everyone had eaten, the guys headed out to the truck. Rafe pulled Ethan aside. “Are you sure you don’t want to take the day off and get some rest?”

“If I do that, I’ll start thinking about everything and wondering what’s going to happen next. And I’ll be missing Aiden too.”

Rafe rubbed his chin before nodding his approval. “Joe’s meeting us at the site. You two get in the truck.” He kept an eye on the blond as the morning wore on, eventually feeling satisfied he was doing alright.

Ethan worked as hard as ever, and kept himself distracted from things he couldn’t control. A little after noon, they broke for the day and returned home. Jack, Ryan, and Zach dragged Ethan into a soccer game in the backyard while Casey kept a watchful eye on things.

******

Doctor MacRae checked in on his patients several times during the day. He found them sleeping most of the time, and figured with how long they might have been wolf, their bodies were tired. He followed up with fellow doctors he knew could provide him with information without arousing suspicion from the Lycan Council. None had ever come across cases where a feral had been returned to normal health, but they all admitted no one considered trying to treat or cure a feral shifter. He also spent a good amount of time doing research on Ethan. Most references to Elementals were in very old texts that had been translated and posted on less than credible websites. They only contained vague descriptions handed down from legends or the occasional rumor. The World of Warcraft wiki site had one of the most detailed descriptions of Shamans and Druids. Nothing seemed to be of much help.

******

Aiden jumped in the Jeepster after class, and headed over to the Tucker house as if on autopilot. Hopping out and walking in the house, he found the boys in the family room. “Hey, guys.”

“Aiden!” Zach yelled out.

“Heya, squirt.” He playfully ruffled the youngest Tucker’s hair. “You keeping my mate occupied?” He sat down and watched until Ethan finished his turn.

“Yup. Got him to play soccer with us, and now he’s beating Ryan on the PlayStation.”

Ethan handed the controller to Zach and sat on Aiden’s lap. “Hi there, Big Bad.”

“Hi yourself, Pup. How you doing today?” He relaxed while breathing in his mate’s scent, filling himself with a sense of calm.

“I’m feeling better. I was wondering if we could go back over to the clinic in a little while.”

“I kind of figured you’d want to, but only after I get at least a few minutes of cuddle time with you.”

“Deal.”

******

About an hour later, Ethan and Aiden walked into the clinic escorted by Casey, and went in search of Doctor MacRae.

“Afternoon, guys. Good to see you.” The doctor shook hands with the three younger men. “I’m guessing you’re here to see our patients again?”

“Yeah. How are they doing?”

“Well, Doctor Scott, they’ve been sleeping most of the day, but they seem to be doing better. Whatever it is you did, helped them.”

“Doc, does anything Ethan’s doing put him at risk?” Aiden gave an apologetic look to his pup for asking.

Ian carefully considered his answer. “I really don’t know Aiden, because I have no clue what he did or the effect it has on him. If what the alpha thinks is true, then we’re in uncharted waters as far as I can tell. What do your instincts tell you, Ethan?”

“I’m not really sure.”

“Just promise me this. If you give them any more help today, stop if it’s affecting you like with how you got dizzy yesterday. I’ve got a room you can lie down and rest in if needed.”

“Yes. Please. What he said.” Aiden chimed in.

Squeezing his mate’s hand, Ethan assented. “I promise.”

“I’ll take you to see them. The lupus we’re calling John Doe for the moment since he hasn’t spoken yet. The Lunis remembered his name. He’s Jonas. Do you want to have a seat and wait here, Casey?”

“Sorry, Doc. Even with Aiden here, he’s not going in those rooms without me nearby.” His voice was firm and unyielding as he crossed his arms. He tipped his head to Aiden. “Hope I’m not overstepping, boss.”

Ethan rolled his eyes. “Come on you two. Just try not to intimidate them.”

Doctor MacRae led them to the first room to see John Doe. He knocked on the door before entering, and was followed by the three teens. The man was lying on the bed, staring out through the small window. Upon seeing Ethan and picking up his scent, he moved to the floor kneeling down with his head bowed. Aiden and Casey stayed back near the door. Ethan nervously walked over and sat on the floor in front of this stranger he’d helped. The doctor took a nearby chair.

“This is Ethan. Ethan, for now this is John Doe until we can figure out his name.” The doctor made introductions.

Ethan wasn’t sure what to say or do. He studied John Doe for a short time, he tentatively reached out only to pull his hand back. Aiden came up behind him and sat down, feeling confident his mate wasn’t in any danger.

“It’s okay, Pup. Trust yourself and what your instincts tell you,” he whispered.

Ethan reached out once more and this time placed his left hand on John’s head and the right over the heart. He closed his eyes and could feel the blood flowing through the body. As he concentrated, he could feel the molecules of water within the body. He moved his right hand to John’s head as well and slowly opened his eyes. John raised his head a little, and stared into Ethan’s glowing eyes. After several minutes, the glow began to fade, and he slowly pulled his hands away. John Doe’s body went limp as he slumped over, out cold.

“I think that’s all I can do for him.”

“Aiden, Casey, help me get him up onto the bed.” The doctor directed. “Ethan, how are you feeling?”

“I’m okay. A little dizzy, but it isn’t as bad as yesterday.”

“Any idea what you did for our patient?” Ian performed a basic exam on their John Doe.

“Not really. I could feel the water in his body. I think I did something with that, but I’m really not sure.”

Aiden peered deep into Ethan’s eyes, searching them to make sure his pup was fine. When he was satisfied there didn’t seem to be a problem, he kissed his mate’s nose. “I guess you want to go see the other one now?”

Ethan nodded.

Entering the next room, Jonas was sitting on the floor. He bowed his head upon seeing Ethan before turning his gaze to Aiden and cocking his head. There was no challenge in his stare, just a searching look. When he finally seemed content with what he saw, he bowed his head towards the young wolf as well.

The doctor again made the introductions. “Jonas. This is Ethan, his mate Aiden, and their friend Casey. Guys, this is Jonas.”

Ethan approached the recovering feral and sat on the floor with his mate close behind him. He and Jonas stared at each other before he reached out, this time placing both hands on the man’s head. When he pulled back, the lycan closed his eyes for a few moments.

The doctor knelt in front of his patient. “How are you feeling, Jonas?”

“Better. Thank you.”

“Ethan, how about you? How are you feeling?” Ian checked his vitals.

“I’m okay. The dizziness is passing more quickly this time.”

Aiden moved his pup over to a chair. “You rest.”

Ethan nodded and sat quietly.

“Jonas, are you able to remember any more?”

“A little. Things don’t seem so cloudy in my mind now. It’s mostly running and hunting. And being alone.”

“Your speech seems to be improving. Why don’t you get some rest. I think our alpha is having you moved some place more comfortable soon. Come on, guys.”

As the four turned to leave, Jonas tilted his head, watching the young man who helped him. “Thank you, little one.”

The small teen gave him a friendly smile. “It’s Ethan. Not little one.”

Jonas bowed his head deeply and bared his neck to the young man with the human scent.

Outside the room, the doctor placed a hand on Ethan’s shoulder. “I don’t know what to say other than thank you for whatever it is you did.”

Ethan nodded as Aiden wrapped an arm around him, walking out of the clinic with Casey in his usual flanking position.

Ian watched until they were out of sight before going back to John Doe’s room. He knocked lightly before opening the door to look in. He could see John lying on the bed with his eyes open.

“Can I come in?”

The man nodded.

“Are you feeling any better?”

“Yes. A little better, thanks.” The young man’s voice was heavy with a southern accent.

“Wow. I see you got your voice back. Any chance you remember your name so we don’t have to call you John Doe anymore?”

“It’s… It’s Anthony…” He seemed to search his memory briefly before continuing. “Anthony Fortier, I think. What happened to me?”

“I only know what’s happened in the last couple days after you entered our pack’s territory. By everything we know about ferals, you’d gone feral. For whatever reason, you surrendered to our hunters and were brought here.”

“I didn’t know a feral could be cured. The little one?”

Ian laughed. “Well, to be honest, I didn’t know of any way to cure one either. Yes, the little one, both you and a lunis.”

“I kinda remember seeing a lunis, and I think there was a lot of shouting. There was a big man saying something, and a wolf talking. Everything seems like I was having a long dream. Last thing I clearly remember is leaving my pack and feeling so alone.” Anthony’s eyes were haunted by his memories.

“I’m sure our alpha will want to talk to you at some point, but you are not alone anymore.”

“Where am I?”

“You’re in Pennsylvania. In the territory of the Parker Valley Wolf Pack.”

“Wow. That’s a long ways from the New Orleans area. I’m kinda curious to know how much time passed, but I also don’t wanna know.”

“We can discuss the date after you’ve had some time to adjust. I need to go let our alpha know you’re doing better now. Is there anything I can get you?”

Anthony shook his head and laid down to rest.

******

Doctor MacRae picked up the phone on his desk and dialed Alpha Stockdale.

“Ian. How are our guests doing today?”

“Much better, Alpha. Doctor Scott stopped by again and gave them both another treatment, I guess we’ll call it. The lunis is named Jonas and the lupus is Anthony. They are both getting more of their memory back and say their mind is clearing.”

“That’s good to hear. I’ll be over in a little bit to talk with them.”

“Thank you, Alpha. I’ll see you when you get here.” The pack’s physician updated their charts. He reviewed the before and after lab tests once again. Ian marveled at the results the young Mister Scott had produced.

******

It was still early enough in the day, so Casey drove his friends to the lake. He figured they could both stand to relax, and knew Ethan needed time to rest after their trip to the clinic. Picking a secluded spot, he parked the truck. All three got out and walked towards the shoreline.

The couple watched as Casey stripped and made a run for the water. “Come on in, guys. It feels great.”

The two shrugged and peeled off their clothes to join their friend for a little afternoon skinny-dipping. After splashing around for a while, Ethan moved away from Aiden and glanced over his shoulder at the auburn haired lycan. Getting a nod, he made his way over to Casey who stood in waist deep water.

Ethan threw his arms around Casey giving him a hug. “Thanks, big guy. I needed this.”

Casey quickly glanced over to his friend expecting a glare, but earned a nod. He happily returned the hug. “That’s what brothers are for, little dude.”

After a moment, they heard a low growl indicating the hug had lasted long enough.

When Ethan moved away from Casey, he fixed his eyes on his mate. “Chill, Big Bad or you won’t be blowing anything down later. It’s just a hug. He wasn’t trying to hump my leg or anything. Well, I don’t think he was. But if he didn’t at least chub up a bit from that hug, my ego’s gonna be bruised.”

Aiden unsuccessfully tried to keep a mad expression on his face. He broke out laughing hysterically at his pup’s response. The other two joined in the laughter.

“If I did, you’d definitely know it.” Casey joked as he floated on his back, grabbing himself, and waving it well above the surface of the water. It was noticeably larger.

Still laughing, Aiden gave his friend another playful glare. “If it was anyone other than you waving that around, I’d rip that dick and balls off and shove them down their throat.”

“Aww. That would be a waste of what could possibly be nice equipment for someone. I mean he is kind of handsome in an ‘I don’t want anything to do with incest but we’re not related so it would be okay’ kind of way. He’s not bad, but he’s definitely not my big bad wolfman.” Ethan climbed into Aiden’s arms and wrapped his own arms and legs around his mate’s body. He felt something lengthen beneath him.

“Okay, guys. You’re either going to make me throw up, or get me horny. I can’t decide which.” Casey joked.

Aiden feigned insult. “You know this is better than porn.”

He lifted his pup out of the water and threw him over his shoulder, bringing his hand down hard enough on the naked butt to leave a nice red print. When he set Ethan down, they were both noticeable excited.

Ethan surprised them both when he managed to pick up Aiden and returned the favor, leaving a nice, red hand print on his larger mate’s butt cheek.

They spent the rest of the afternoon horsing around in the water, teasing each other, and relaxing.

******

John walked into the clinic and found Ian’s door open. Knocking on the frame, he stepped inside.

“Alpha, I’m sorry I didn’t hear you come in.”

“Relax, Ian. I told the nurse not to bother announcing me. Do you think your guests are up for a visit?”

“We can find out.”

The two walked down the hallway to the room with Jonas. The doctor knocked before entering.

“Jonas, this is Alpha John Stockdale. Alpha, this is Jonas.”

“Jonas. It’s nice to meet you.”

The young man quickly dropped to the floor, kneeling with his head bowed. “Alpha, thank you for your hospitality.”

“Why don’t we have a seat over here and talk a bit.”

Jonas nodded and they moved to the chairs; he kept his eyes down, never meeting the alpha’s.

“I want to welcome you as a guest to our pack. I hope everyone’s been treating you well.”

“Thank you, Alpha. Everyone has been very nice.”

“If you’re able, could you tell me a little about you? Do you remember where you’re from and maybe how you ended up on your own?”

“Alpha, I was born to the Baxter Wolf Pack in northern Maine. I was told to leave shortly after my first change when my pack saw I was lunis instead of a lupus. I went through a few other packs trying to find someone to take me in. Some would let me stay for a while, but someone would eventually complain they didn’t want anything to do with my kind and I’d be told to leave. That lasted for a couple years. It all goes kind of foggy after that until I woke up here. It feels like my human self has been asleep for a long time. I’m not even sure how much time has passed.”

“I’d always heard Baxter was rather closed minded, and didn’t even allow non-wolf shifters in their territory. I didn’t realize they wouldn’t accept a lunis born into the pack. You’re the only lunis here, but not due to any discrimination towards them. You are more than welcome here. I’m going to make arrangements for you to be moved to guest quarters so you can be more comfortable. I will hold you to the promise you made when you arrived here of remaining passive. There will be a hunter assigned to you as a guide. He will help show you around, and help you with anything you need. It isn’t that we don’t trust you, but you were feral when you came to us so we just want to be careful. Just please remember you’re not a prisoner, you’re our guest.”

John stood. “Jonas. I never did catch your last name if you remember it.”

“It’s Gray, Alpha. Jonas Gray.”

“Jonas Gray, do you promise to respect the laws of the Parker Valley Wolf Pack while you are a guest here and promise to treat our members as you would wish to be treated?”

“Yes, Alpha. I give that promise on my life.”

“One last thing. Your encounter with Ethan. We’d like to keep that quiet for now. Please don’t tell anyone what he did for you, or discuss it in any fashion. Officially, we’ll say that you were only in the process of going feral which is how you were treated.”

“Yes, Alpha. All I know is a nice young human and his friends came to visit me after your doctor helped me.”

John shook Jonas’s hand before stepping out. Ian knocked on the door across the hall before sticking his head in. Seeing Anthony nod, he walked in followed by the alpha.

“Anthony, this is…”

Before he could finish the introduction, Anthony dropped to the floor shaking. John walked over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

“It’s okay, Anthony. You’re among friends. I’m John Stockdale, Alpha of the Parker Valley Wolf Pack.”

“Alpha, I’m Anthony Fortier.”

“You don’t need to bow down to me. Let’s take a seat and talk. First I want to welcome you to our territory. I hope you’ll consider yourself our guest for now. I understand from the doctor that you’re from the New Orleans area?”

“Yes, Alpha. I was from the Cajun Moon Pack outside the city.”

“I know this can be a touchy subject, but why did you leave?”

“I was always the wolf that never quite fit in, and was viewed as different by my family and others in the pack. They decided I fell into the omega ranks and used me as a punching bag, to beat when it suited them. I finally had enough and fled.”

John shook his head. “You won’t find any of that here. Differences of all kinds are embraced as they make the pack stronger. I’m going to have you and our new lunis friend, Jonas, moved into the pack house so you’ll be more comfortable. Like I told him, I’m assigning one of our hunters to stay with you as a guide until you get comfortable around here. He’s there strictly to help you out, not to guard you or make you feel unwelcome here.”

“Thank you, Alpha.” Anthony looked deep in thought for a moment. “Do y’all know how the little one fixed me?”

“We’re not entirely sure. He’s quite special, as are all our people. Do you remember at all why you were trying to get to him?”

“I’m sorry, Alpha. If I was tryin’ to get to him, I don’t know why. I don’t remember seeing him before today when he came and put his hands on my head. He doesn’t smell like a shifter. He’s still human, isn’t he?”

“Yes, he’s human. His mate is one of our wolves. I’m sure you saw Aiden with him. Ethan’s learning about us. When he’s ready, he’ll decide if he wants to be turned. I would ask that you don’t tell anyone he’s the one that helped you.”

Anthony nodded in understanding.

Standing, the alpha focused on the young man before him. “Anthony Fortier, do you promise to respect the laws of the Parker Valley Wolf Pack while you are a guest here and promise to treat our members as you would like to be treated?”

“Yes, Alpha. Thank you for allowing me to stay.”

They shook hands and the doctor and John walked out.

“Ian, if you feel they’re able to be released from your care, I’ll have the guest quarters prepared for them at the pack house. It’s your call.”

“I don’t see any reason why not, Alpha. They seem to be in good health, thanks to Doctor Scott’s treatments, and there’s not really anything more I can do for them. I’d like them to come in for periodic checks to make sure there aren’t any side effects. Although I’d bet money because of Ethan there won’t be. Do you think they will have any problems from the pack since they were feral when they arrived here?”

“Only a few people knew they were feral. And as I told Jonas, the party line is they were only just turning and therefore treatable by our incredibly talented Doctor MacRae. Still, that’s the main reason I’m assigning hunters to be with them. I know some will be uncomfortable with a lunis here just because there aren’t any around. They’ll have to learn to deal with it.”

“I know it’s getting late in the day. Would it be easier for you if we keep there here overnight? Or is that not a problem?”

John rubbed his chin. “I’m going to make a few calls, but in fairness to them, I’d like to try to get them into housing tonight. I’m not trying to say the clinic isn’t comfortable, but real housing will help them adjust to the human side of life again.”

******

After several calls, the alpha had notified all his council members, beta, and enforcer that the new wolves were moving into the guest quarters for now. The pack house manager assured the alpha both rooms were ready.

The last thing John did was send out a pack wide text. <We have two new guests on an indefinite stay at the pack house, Jonas and Anthony. Please help them feel welcome.>

The sheriff sent out a message to the hunters asking for volunteers to help with the two guests. Following the alpha’s text, several contacted the sheriff that they would be happy to help out. This made things easier as they could break up into shifts. The first pair was sent over to the clinic to meet Anthony and Jonas; both had been present when the two first showed up. They followed the alpha to the pack house and gave the new guys the tour, before finally settling in the lounge area to talk and relax.

“I can’t believe how friendly it is here.” Anthony couldn’t remember feeling so relaxed, especially around strangers.

Jonas nodded.

One of the hunters leaned in so only their small group could hear. “I’m really happy you guys laid down. It’s the first time running into a feral that ended happily for everyone.”

When it started to get late, both guys went to their rooms to get much needed sleep.

Running with the Pack, WolfM, 2012-2016, All Rights Reserved
  • Like 98
  • Love 58
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter, thanks.

 

I'm stilling trying to figure out what a lunis is. Can anybody help with that?
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 12/25/2015 03:20 AM, Terry P said:

Great chapter, thanks.

 

I'm stilling trying to figure out what a lunis is. Can anybody help with that?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Thanks Terry.

2 types of wolves in the story the standard lupus wolf like you'd find in the wild, at zoo's. Looks like a wolf in every way, but larger. A lunis wolf is more like what you'd see in a werewolf movie. It walks on two legs and is a cross between a wolf and a human. Pretty much what I use as my profile picture.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

This was a good transitional chapter. Glad that Aiden and Chase was with Ethan when he realized that the wolf he killed might have been trying to just get help. They are right, you can't go back and second guess what might have been; although always easier to say that than really do it...

 

Have to wonder what Ethan did the second time to each of the feral wolves to bring them fully back. What is going to happen once others find out about the ability that Ethan has? You know there are going to be packs that want to have someone that has gone feral brought back if possible.

 

Glad to see both wolves are with a pack that is more open and caring than the ones they left. The Alpha handled all of that just perfect. I wonder if he is bound by tradition or rules to notify the packs they left?

 

Can't wait to see what direction you are going to take the story in now...

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 12/25/2015 11:17 AM, centexhairysub said:

This was a good transitional chapter. Glad that Aiden and Chase was with Ethan when he realized that the wolf he killed might have been trying to just get help. They are right, you can't go back and second guess what might have been; although always easier to say that than really do it...

 

Have to wonder what Ethan did the second time to each of the feral wolves to bring them fully back. What is going to happen once others find out about the ability that Ethan has? You know there are going to be packs that want to have someone that has gone feral brought back if possible.

 

Glad to see both wolves are with a pack that is more open and caring than the ones they left. The Alpha handled all of that just perfect. I wonder if he is bound by tradition or rules to notify the packs they left?

 

Can't wait to see what direction you are going to take the story in now...

Thanks Centex, always good to hear from you. Ethan is learning his gifts as he goes. Everything is by instinct alone. The second time he helped out the ferals was just a repeat of the first, finishing what he'd started. Best description is nothing more than multiple treatments to achieve a cure.

Other packs wanting Ethan and his gifts for their own is a fear of the Alpha. He knows it could put a target on them all. He would also most likely do what he could to help other packs heal ferals as long as it didn't prove harmful to Ethan.

Since Jonas was exiled he wouldn't need to notify anyone, with Anthony he might if Anthony wanted to join the pack since he's still technically a member of the pack he fled.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 12/25/2015 11:47 PM, WriterJT said:

And Ethan continues to be amazing and kickass! Another amazing chapter WolfM.

Thanks JT. :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I am now up-to-date on all the revised chapters. All I can say is “Holy bat, Shitman!”  I thought it was awesome before, but the slight tweaks and additions have made it phenomenal. The story flows better and things are more logical, like the explanation for the ferals being cured. Before there was tons of room for rumors and suspicion but now it’s more plausible. And I LOVED the WOW reference when Ian was looking up Druids and Shamans. Ahh, the pitfalls of internet research. 😜

 

I’m going to pause my reading here and wait for the next batch of revisions. Keep it up, y’all are awesome!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Normischell said:

I am now up-to-date on all the revised chapters. All I can say is “Holy bat, Shitman!”  I thought it was awesome before, but the slight tweaks and additions have made it phenomenal. The story flows better and things are more logical, like the explanation for the ferals being cured. Before there was tons of room for rumors and suspicion but now it’s more plausible. And I LOVED the WOW reference when Ian was looking up Druids and Shamans. Ahh, the pitfalls of internet research. 😜

 

I’m going to pause my reading here and wait for the next batch of revisions. Keep it up, y’all are awesome!

Thank you so much, Normischell :)  When I originally wrote this, I thought I was doing a good job.  Posting a new chapter every week, I know there were things I was missing.  Carlos has done a wonderful job of editing and teaching me what I need to be watching for.  This gives me a chance to fill in details I didn't realize I'd missed.  I read over that WOW wiki page several times when I was trying to decide on Ethan's true nature. :)

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, WolfM said:

Thank you so much, Normischell :)  When I originally wrote this, I thought I was doing a good job.  Posting a new chapter every week, I know there were things I was missing.  Carlos has done a wonderful job of editing and teaching me what I need to be watching for.  This gives me a chance to fill in details I didn't realize I'd missed.  I read over that WOW wiki page several times when I was trying to decide on Ethan's true nature. :)

My hubby has played WOW since it first came out and while he tries to get me into it, I’d rather read.  LOL. 

 

So, any chance of Aiden getting a confrontation with Ethan’s sperm donor?  Maybe on a trip out to Aiden’s dad’s pack?!?!?  😈

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Casey sure is fond of taking Ethan, Aiden and his periscope out on the lake. There's not many that Aiden would trust to hug his Pup, in the raw.

Just how shocked must Aiden have been when Ethan  threw him over his shoulder and left a big red handprint on his cheeks, like Aiden had done to him? Where did that come from?

Ethan is going to be no one's bitch from now on but he seems more than capable of making one of his own, when the occasion demands.😉 The bedroom possibilities must have at least doubled in Aiden's mind. 😜

Anthony and Jonas have added a lot of interest to the story too. Especially, Jonas as there is so little we know about Lunis, other than he will be forced to shift on a full moon. I dare say that with no family to care for them these two will have plenty to share and will end up as good friends

One thing seems for sure. That whatever drew these Ferals to Ethan, is a beacon that isn't going to be turned off, anytime soon. Alpha needs to covertly assign Ethan the role of Alien First Contact when these ferals come into their territory. The doctor might consider upping Aidens Blood Pressure medication while he's at it.

Interesting turn of events Wolfie. Keep them coming!

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 11/30/2019 at 10:04 PM, Bard Simpson said:

Casey sure is fond of taking Ethan, Aiden and his periscope out on the lake. There's not many that Aiden would trust to hug his Pup, in the raw.

Just how shocked must Aiden have been when Ethan  threw him over his shoulder and left a big red handprint on his cheeks, like Aiden had done to him? Where did that come from?

Ethan is going to be no one's bitch from now on but he seems more than capable of making one of his own, when the occasion demands.😉 The bedroom possibilities must have at least doubled in Aiden's mind. 😜

Anthony and Jonas have added a lot of interest to the story too. Especially, Jonas as there is so little we know about Lunis, other than he will be forced to shift on a full moon. I dare say that with no family to care for them these two will have plenty to share and will end up as good friends

One thing seems for sure. That whatever drew these Ferals to Ethan, is a beacon that isn't going to be turned off, anytime soon. Alpha needs to covertly assign Ethan the role of Alien First Contact when these ferals come into their territory. The doctor might consider upping Aidens Blood Pressure medication while he's at it.

Interesting turn of events Wolfie. Keep them coming!

The lake is a good place to relax, and who doesn't like a little skinny-dipping among friends ;) I'm sure Aiden and Casey were both shocked at Aiden being picked up and spanked. Size is no indication of strength or weakness though. For Ethan, his mate left a hand print that turned him on. He was going to return the favor.

Ethan will definitely not be anyone's bitch, though submission and dominance can be shared in many ways.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Nice relaxing and playful chapter.  It helps balance some of the tension and anxiety of Ethan as well as readers.  After finding out more about the rescued feral wolves, I hope that they can find protection and safety in Alpha Stockdale's pack.  There does seem a reason for feral wolves to be attracted to Ethan.  Does Ethan have some sort of signal that draws the feral wolves to him for help?

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
16 hours ago, raven1 said:

Nice relaxing and playful chapter.  It helps balance some of the tension and anxiety of Ethan as well as readers.  After finding out more about the rescued feral wolves, I hope that they can find protection and safety in Alpha Stockdale's pack.  There does seem a reason for feral wolves to be attracted to Ethan.  Does Ethan have some sort of signal that draws the feral wolves to him for help?

Action chapters are nice, but sometimes it's more fun writing ones like this. Unless it's something I can workout a good cliffhanger for ;)

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I would like to say how much your writing has improved since chapter 1. As you can see I am eating this story just like candy! hehehe

  • Love 3
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

I would like to say how much your writing has improved since chapter 1. As you can see I am eating this story just like candy! hehehe

Thank you, Albert. :) I owe that improvement to the man who asked to work with me on editing this book, @Carlos Hazday. If you haven't read his books yet, I think you'd enjoy them. Chapters 1 through probably 15, there was so much he was trying to teach me without overwhelming me and chasing me from the edit process didn't get as heavily corrected. I had gone back once the editing was completed and tried to bring them closer to the standard we finished with. I know I'll always see errors when I read this, but the reaction to the improvement is most appreciated.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 12/13/2023 at 10:22 AM, Albert1434 said:

Just as enjoyable as before I so glad Ethan could help the two Jonas Gray and Anthony:yes:

Thank you, Albert. :)  If I had planned this book out like the following ones, instead of posting as I went, characters like Jonas and Anthony likely wouldn't have happened. I guess inexperience does have some benefits. :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..