Jump to content
    WolfM
  • Author
  • 5,949 Words
  • 14,678 Views
  • 34 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Running with the Pack - 36. Chapter 36

The thunderous growl was the first indication something was very wrong. Those close by watched in stunned silence as if a movie was unfolding before them. Michael turned towards the roar, his face etched in terror. Jackie’s paw, tipped with razor-like claws, crashed down as quickly as she raised it, finding its mark as her son passed. His head spun to the side with a sickening snap as her claws raked his neck. If the damage from the claws had not been significant enough to prove fatal, his neck breaking from the impact most definitely was. His body crumpled to the floor. Blood poured from the wound until his heart finally stopped. Jackie sank back into her chair. Her hands cradled her head as tears streamed down her face. John on one side and his mother on the other gently placed a hand on her shoulder.

Whispers quickly spread to those who had not seen what happened. A hushed silence fell over those present. People filed out of the meeting hall; not a word was uttered, as no one knew what to say anyway. Words seemed inappropriate. John picked Jackie up and carried her to one of the smaller rooms, setting her on a couch. Barbara placed a blanket around her daughter-in-law’s shoulders before sitting at her side. The former luna took Jackie’s hands in her own.

Doctor MacRae attended to the body, noting the time for the death certificate, and waiting for his staff to arrive to begin the cleanup.

Outside, the crowd did not disperse. There were whispers, but a general hush remained. It was as if everyone knew they needed to leave the building, but nobody would go home until they knew how their luna was. As darkness set in, candles brought over from the hardware store across the square were passed around. One by one, they were lit. Not for Michael’s death but for Jackie. A sea of flickering light spread across the plaza.

“Let’s get you home.” John helped his mate stand as Barbara and Garrett preceded them out of the building.

The crowd separated, allowing the alpha pairs to pass, but the pack closed ranks behind their leaders. Their faces showed the concern held for the woman they so deeply revered. The current and former leaders took in the sight of the candles. As they got in John’s truck, people spread out to line the street. He drove slowly to let Jackie see their devotion to her. Only after the truck was out of sight did they blow out their candles and go home.

******

“We should get you up to bed.” Barbara tried to guide her to the stairs.

Jackie took a chair in the living room, burying her face in her hands. Near silent sobs escaped as she mostly held her emotions in. Her shoulders trembled as more tears fell. “There’s no point in me going to bed. It isn’t like I’d be able to sleep.” She wiped the tears from her eyes as they rose to meet her mate. “I’m sorry, John.”

He sat on the chair’s arm, wishing there was something he could do for his soul mate. “You have nothing to be sorry for. I’m the one who’s sorry for allowing things to get this far.”

It was Jackie who consoled him, placing her hand on top of his. “As his mother, I had to be the one to do it. You may be alpha, but I’m his mother. Just like I’m the current mother to this pack. He threatened all my children, our children. I bore him and gave him life. It was my duty to take him out of this world.”

“I planned on doing it after the trial so it didn’t have to be you, but I do understand.”

“Hearing the testimony, knowing the pain he’s caused here and elsewhere… What he tried to do… I couldn’t wait since the verdict was essentially a formality. Even my wolf said it needed to be done then and by me. I should have done it after what he tried to do to Ethan. With it finished, the pack can begin to heal.”

John pulled her to him and kissed the top of her head as his parents looked on. Barbara understood everything Jackie said; some things a mother wolf has to do herself.

******

Doctor MacRae and the County Coroner signed off on the death certificate quickly so the body could be released back to the Stockdale family. It still took two days to get the paperwork rushed through. Michael’s death was listed as a rock climbing accident. It took an additional five days to have his body cremated, and the ashes prepared for pickup by John and Jackie. Garrett and Barbara joined them at the town’s cemetery for a private internment. No one from the pack was told, so the Stockdale family members were a little surprised to see the small group waiting for them at the cemetery’s entrance.

“We’re here for you, now and always.” Rafe and Mary bowed to their alpha and luna.

Moving to stand beside John, Sheriff Forester placed a hand on his friend’s shoulder in support.

Kate Tucker pulled Jackie and then Barbara into an embrace while Weylin offered his hand to the grieving father and grandfather.

“Like Rafe said, we’re here for you.” Craig Jacobs dipped his head in respect, as Marsha followed his lead.

John nodded to their friends. Taking his mate’s hand, they walked into the cemetery and went to an area reserved for unknown shifters. It was where the ashes of killed ferals were consigned. Jackie placed the urn in an empty niche in what was known as The Wall of Lost Souls. An inscription running across the wall read: Those who were lost are now found, home at last among their own. May all those who rest here find the peace they could not find in life.

As the family turned to leave, John gave a nod to the cemetery worker who waited a few moments before sealing the unmarked vault.

******

John had been on a call for an hour with one alpha who participated in the alliance against the rogue threat. His counterpart passed on information not entirely unexpected. After deliberating on how to proceed, he sent for Aiden and Ethan.

The blond joked as they approached the office. “Why does this feel like I’m getting called to the principal’s office? I know I haven’t done anything wrong but feel like I should be guilty of something.”

“If you want to be guilty of something, we can work on that after we get home. I’m sure you’ll enjoy the punishment.”

The alpha’s assistant buzzed him to say they had arrived. Aiden knocked and waited.

“Enter,” was called out from inside. “Thank you for coming in. Have a seat.”

Aiden was understandably curious. “Alpha, what’s going on?”

“I wanted to check and see how you’re both doing as well as make you aware of something that’s come to my attention.”

“We’re doing okay, I think.” Ethan glanced at Aiden for confirmation.

“Yeah, we’re doing okay. I’m still having night sweats sometimes, but the shrink I had to talk to said that might happen for a while. The few nightmares I had at the start of it have stopped.”

“The sheriff will be talking to you about this before you go back to work, but I thought I should mention it first. Your partner made accusations you were helping the gang while you were being held.” The alpha could immediately pick up Aiden’s angry scent. “Now, before you say anything, you have my full faith and trust. I read over your report, and I don’t see an issue. If anything, I believe you helped the situation there and saved lives. Everyone else was happy you looked out for their safety.”

“He accused me of collaborating the first time I was told by the guards to go around and check on the hostages’ condition. He thought I should have gone on the attack, but my wolf said the odds weren’t in our favor. I did what I could to get the restraints removed from him before he suffered silver poisoning.”

John waited a few minutes to give Aiden time to cool down, it was obvious he was still mad at even the suggestion he helped their captors. “Don’t worry about it. Based on the reports from other hostages, you’re in the clear on it. All of them stated how you stepped up and became their spokesman to make sure everyone was taken care of. Any accusations are being chalked up to early stage silver poisoning, which you worked to alleviate. There will be some type of internal investigation, but it will be handled administratively. Both the sheriff and I are pleased with how you handled yourself. It would seem your alpha traits are developing nicely, although you always seem to handle tough situations well.”

“If I’m not supposed to worry about the accusations, then what? Is something else going on?”

“I’ve gotten a few reports your little display during the rescue caught the attention of the Lycan Council. Plenty of people saw more than a regular alpha wolf. It doesn’t seem they know who it was, but they think there were two exceptionally powerful wolves present there. I’m sure they’ll be watching our pack since we had a primary role in eliminating the gang. Like always, you need to be careful.”

“Do we keep stepping up the ladder on the level of the problem we face?” Ethan tried to sound like it was a joke.

“In a way, that isn’t far from the truth. The investigative teams are still processing everything they collected from the town. We haven’t managed to crack the password for the computer taken from their leader’s office yet. Even before all this, I had information on corruption within the council. It’s something most all of us alphas suspected or knew. It goes against our nature as a beast of prey to achieve a balance with our environment. Unfortunately, our human side all too often is guided by greed and power. It’s the more dangerous side of our existence. You create an administrative body to govern, and someone will figure out how to game the system to their advantage. Comments in your report mentioned how their leader talked about working directly with the Council at times. Doing their dirty work.”

“So, the Council’s trying to figure out if the reports about us are true. And if so, how to make use of us for their own purposes?” Aiden pulled his mate a little closer to him.

“That pretty much sums it up. Aiden, when you’re on duty, you’re working with other deputies, and I feel you’re safe enough. You will most likely always be working with a partner as a precaution. When you’re off duty, I’d like you to keep Cody or Darius close by. I’m assigning them to you both on an indefinite basis. They will still have duties to perform with the hunters, but insuring the safety of you two is their primary role now. You both, as well as Casey, work well with them. The same goes for you, Ethan. Here in town you should be safe. I’m more concerned for times you go out of Silver Pines, even if it’s to the farm. Between Casey and the other two, I think you’ll be covered well enough. If a problem occurs, they will be able to give you enough time to react. They know how to work with your gifts.”

Both young men nodded.

“We knew this day would eventually come. Between making the announcement to the pack about Ethan’s nature, and that display the two of you put on during your fight, this was going to come out. Just like everything else, we’ll deal with it, and you have the entire pack behind you both.

Aiden dipped his head respectfully. “Thank you, Alpha.”

“Now, just to satisfy my own personal curiosity, which one of you became the flaming furball, and who was Mister Freeze?”

“I became the fantastic flaming ball of fur and Ethan was the popsicle.” He immediately blushed at the connotations, causing the alpha to laugh. “We’re still not sure how I did it, but the armor and sword-type-thing helped a lot in the fight. Especially being able to cause things to burst into flames across the room. The weird part was how different it felt from a normal wolf fight.”

“I had a feeling since Ethan’s always favored water. You mean bursting into flames and having a sword of fire grow out of your hand wasn’t the weird part?” The alpha gave him a sly smile. “With how perfectly matched you both are, right down to only you being able to turn Ethan, my money is you are the only person he could pass any of his gifts to. I’ll keep you and the sheriff updated on anything I hear regarding the Lycan Council. There are a few other alphas across North America who are running their own investigations into the administration. The Council problem will be dealt with at the appropriate time. Now, go and spend some time with your families.”

“Thank you, Alpha,” they both said on their way out the door.

******

Ethan had completed what healing he could for the ferals recovered from the gang. They were resting comfortably at the medical center and a few other locations able to house them. Psychologists from different packs that assisted in the recent operation were brought in to evaluate each shifter and assist them with the effects of the captivity and torture they had endured. All previously cured wolves came in to help in any way they could. They understood the gaps in memory many in the recovering group had to deal with.

Everyone wanted to try and avoid issues like what cropped up with the Jack Doe the alpha had terrified. Unlike most, he still did not remember his name, so the medical staff gave him the name Eli Parker and the affectionate nickname of Mouse. Eli was believed to have been in captivity for at least fifteen years, starting at a young age. HIs doctor thought he went feral soon after he was able to start shifting as his mind’s only way to protect himself from what was being done to him. Because of this, his human personality never had a chance to develop and mature beyond early adolescence. The best guess anyone could make is that he was in his early to mid twenties now, but he acted more like a pre teen. His somewhat mousy behavior led to the nickname which he seemed to enjoy.

When he was not in school trying to catch up, he could be found at the medical center. He helped out by running errands or just talking to people. It felt safe to him there since it is where he started to regain his human side. Now they were running through numbers for John, Jack, Joan, and Jane Does until any might remember a name. With so many to identify, they tried to not request information through the Lycan Council database all at once. Too many red flags would get set off and the pack already had enough to worry about. Even with DNA requests getting spread over a dozen packs, it would take time to try and identify everyone they could.

The alpha stayed away this time so he would not risk spooking anyone while they adjusted to the more human side of life again, especially not knowing how many had suffered from prolonged torture like Eli had. As the evaluations progressed, wolves like Eli, Anthony, and Jonas sat and talked to the new arrivals.

“Hi, my name’s Eli. Is it okay if I sit here with you for a little bit?”

The other lycan nodded, so Eli took the chair next to the patient.

“You don’t have to say anything. I know what you’re going through. Not too long ago I was in your place. I didn’t know where I was or what anyone here wanted or even who I was. I was one of the ferals held by the bad ones too.”

“I can see flashes of things, but I don’t know if they’re real or not.” John Doe forty-eight rubbed his hand over his head.

“You will probably have that for a while. I still do sometimes, but they figured I had been held by the other ones for a long time and may never remember anything. You can trust the people here. They have all been real nice to me. Even the alpha, when I got scared of him, thinking he was the strong one that let the others beat us.”

Number forty-eight listened as Eli rattle on about this and that as though he did not have a care in the world, all while talking about how nice everyone had been to him.

“Marcus,” number forty-eight said as he seemed to be thinking about something, “I think my name is Marcus.”

“You are lucky. They had to give me a name since I still don’t know who I was before.”

“Do you remember anything about your pack? I can see faces, but I don’t know who they are or why they seem important.” Marcus’ eyes focused as if viewing a far off memory.

“I don’t remember anything except being with the bad wolves. The alpha here told me that some of the bad ones destroyed my pack a long time ago. I think they said maybe fifteen years ago, but I’m not sure how long that is.” Sadness crossed his face at not knowing even simple things. “I kinda remember getting put in cages with other mean wolves that hurt me. Having to fight in the big cage or getting beaten by strong men. Even fighting for food. I wish I could remember my family. They say I can be part of this pack now. They are trying to help me learn stuff ’cause I’m not smart as everyone else. But I listen good, and they said I can maybe help people like you.”

“I think I remember the cages and fighting other wolves, but I’m not sure. You’re smarter than you think.”

“They have to tell me stuff a lot. They haven’t beat me once when I forget something at least. I should go tell the doctor you remember your name and if you want, I will get my friend Anthony to come over so we can talk more. He is helping me out a lot, and he’s smart. He was a feral too but not with the bad guys.”

Marcus nodded as Eli ran off to let someone know. Laying his head back on the pillow and staring at the ceiling, Marcus wondered how long it had been since had last been home, and if he would ever remember anyone. Would they recall him? Thoughts of how nice Eli was without even remembering his own name reassured him. Marcus realized he might be okay no matter what.

******

It was going to be a quiet Thanksgiving at the Stockdale home. Jackie was still torn between grief for her son, guilt for having killed him, and relief he would never harm anyone again. It felt as if a dark cloud hung over the family. Garrett and John were watching football while Barbara prepared a few things to cook later for dinner. Hearing a knock at the front door, John got up to answer it. The visitors surprised him.

“Alpha, we’re sorry for intruding and if you and your family want privacy we will definitely respect that. We were all talking though and wanted to try and show you how much we care. And how thankful we are to have you and the luna as our leaders.”

Standing before John were all the wolves cured before the attack, along with the long time pack wolves who lived with them. New and old community members trying to help their Alpha and Luna. He held up his finger indicating he wanted them to wait a moment; leaving the door open, he retreated to find Jackie. “There’s someone at the door to see you.”

She did not want to deal with visitors, but her sense of duty overrode that; she followed him back to the front door. Seeing all the people standing there, she did not know what to say.

“Luna Stockdale, we wanted to make sure you’re doing alright and offer you a Thanksgiving dinner. With all you’ve done for us, it’s the least we can do.”

“Come on in out of the cold.” She stepped to the side to allow them to pass.

Kate and Garrett stood back watching. They had both missed things like this after moving away and decided in that moment they would be staying. The community of retired alphas and lead pack officials would make for a nice vacation spot, but this was their true home.

As people entered, Barbara guided anyone with food into the kitchen. Anthony placed his hand on Eli’s shoulder and encouraged him to come inside. His mousy personality made Eli want to scurry off, but the alpha reached his hand out. “Eli, welcome to our home. Thank you for coming.”

As the timid wolf passed Jackie and saw her crying, he stopped. “We didn’t mean to make you cry, Luna. I’m sorry.”

Jackie pulled the boyish young man into a hug. “It’s alright. These are happy tears. Come in, please. And call me Jackie.”

The former ferals had brought enough food to feed an army. Barbara went into the kitchen with them and helped while they did most of the work. When everything was ready, the Stockdales’ guests served. One of four perfect turkeys was placed on the table before the Alpha. A cured lycan bowed his head as he handed John the knife. Only after he had carved off a slice and placed it on Jackie’s plate did everyone sit.

After dinner, they cleaned everything, leaving the place as if they had never been there. Barbara showed them were things went, while several visited with Jackie and the alpha. They all thanked the leaders for allowing them to intrude on the holiday.

Jackie hugged every one of them. “Thank you for brightening today for us.” As Eli passed by, she held him a little longer. “Eli, you are most welcome here anytime.”

“Thank you, Luna.”

It seemed as though the dark cloud over the house was lifting.

******

Thanksgiving at the Tuckers was a slightly bigger event than usual this year. In past ones, the family would alternate between joining the alpha and his relatives or visiting either Mary or Rafe’s extended family. This year it was at their home with a few new additions. Cody and Darius were there at Mary’s insistence. They would not have turned down the invitation regardless of whether the enforcer and his wife considered them family now or not. Even with how long Weylin and Kate had lived away, they always came home for the holidays. Craig and Marsha Jacobs were finishing their stay, knowing they needed to head home to Washington. Also joining the family were Alex and Nathan. Ethan had begun calling them Uncle Alex and Uncle Nathan much to their enjoyment. They always had a friendly association with the wolves in the area, but it was viewing things from the outside. Now, being invited over to dinner with various pack mates and joining the wolves for a full moon and other runs, they were enjoying the newfound inclusiveness of the pack.

Mary, Kate, and Marsha were busy cooking while the guys sat around watching whichever football game was currently on. Nathan kept popping in the kitchen to help.

After the third time getting shooed out, he joked with the women. “I may be a big ol’ bear, but I’m just as accomplished a cook as you ladies. So what do you need me to help with? Because I’m not going to just sit back and do nothing while you three do all the work. Besides, all the juicy gossip goes on in here, not out there watching football.”

As Nathan got to work on what he was directed to, the women watched. Mary was finally the one to ask what was on all their minds. “You must be the cook at home.”

“We trade off. Before I met Alex, I was training in culinary arts in school. I had dreams of owning my own restaurant.” He continued to chop up what he was working on and add it to the saucepan next to him.

By the time everyone sat at the table, there were two perfectly cooked turkeys, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, and the works. As the family dug into the feast, Marsha turned to Nathan. “You so need to send me some of your recipes. This is wonderful.”

During the dinner conversation, Ethan brought up the big question of the night. “Do you think there’s enough time for us to put together a small wedding before Christmas? Or should we wait until sometime in spring?”

Marsha glanced at Craig first. “We have to be home for a couple weeks, but I’m sure we can make it back here for Christmas.”

Aiden was somewhat shocked, but took it in stride. “I know we’ve been talking about it more since I got back. Spring would be nice, but December snow would make for a pretty wedding too.”

“Depending on how many people, the barn’s available all month. Unless you have somewhere else in mind.” Nathan offered as Alex squeezed his hand.

“I thought about the meadow where I had my first shift, but the barn would be great and probably warmer.

“The meadow would be freezing.” Rafe shivered at the thought.

“I wouldn’t count on it considering he can control the weather.” Aiden joked.

Craig thought for a moment. “Would December twenty-six be okay with you boys?

They had a silent conversation before turning to the family and nodding.

“So, we’ve got one month to put this together.” Kate was already mentally listing needed things.

A worried Aiden raised an eyebrow. “This doesn’t need to be anything huge.” He glanced at Ethan for confirmation. “Just something simple for our family and closest friends. After what happened, neither one of us really wants to wait.”

“You know there are going to be a lot of people who’ll want to come to this.” Rafe pointed out.

“If I can make a suggestion?” Craig waited for his son and Ethan to nod. “If you want to do something small to make it official and get it out of the way soon, do it at Christmas. But you can also do a bigger one in the spring and invite all those who would really like to come.”

“That’s actually a good idea.” Aiden squeezed his mate’s hand. “You know everyone you cured will want to come. Plus, a good portion of the pack I think. We can have the small one next month with the family.”

Ethan nodded. “You don’t think anyone will get upset if we’re already married when we have the bigger one?”

“I’m sure they’ll understand,” Mary reassured them.

******

Back at Aiden and Ethan’s house, they relaxed in the family room with Casey, Darius, and Cody. The post-Thanksgiving meal coma was setting in. Aiden figured it was as good a time as any to bring up the long-term security issues. “With you guys being assigned to us indefinitely for security, what are your thoughts about moving onto the property? We’ve got the loft over the garage and there are a few empty bedrooms. So it isn’t like we don’t have the space if you wanted to live here. I know you probably want to be able to have some time and space to yourselves. Ethan and I just wanted to make the offer. We’d be happy to have you here.”

Casey grinned at the idea. “You both know there’s room in my place too, even if the bed does get a little cramped at times with the three of us in it. We always seem to make things fit.”

“I’ll sleep anywhere with a bed.” Cody got up and sat himself down on Casey’s lap. “I think it’s a good idea having us here. I doubt anything will happen, but it never hurts to be prepared, and the company around here is good.”

“Sounds good to me too. I wouldn’t mind renting the loft from you guys. Not sure how often I’ll sleep in it.” Darius relaxed with his hands behind his head. “When I saw it, it looked much nicer than the apartments.”

“I guess if you take the loft, I can trade off between sleeping there and in Casey’s place. Unless you guys want a third occasionally popping into your bed. You know, for security reasons and warmth on cold nights.” Cody tried to look innocent.

Ethan got a devilish grin on his face. “I guess I need to get signs made up saying the backyard is a clothing free zone. Maybe add a Jacuzzi. Oh, and a disco ball.”

“Careful guys, next thing you know he’ll be saying the house is a clothing free zone too, and you need to strip.” Aiden joked. “Especially the first time he steps outside without his fur before spring.”

“That’s not a bad idea. Maybe we should make that the house rule since it would be kinda cold to be naked outside.” Ethan continued to smile.

Giving almost imperceptible nods and glances to the other three, Aiden grabbed his mate’s arms and held them. Cody and Darius launched forward, each grabbing and pulling off the blond’s shoes and socks. Casey went for the pants and underwear. In a matter of seconds, everything below the waist was removed, and he was rapidly becoming excited at the attention. As Aiden relaxed his hold on his pup’s arms, the three others slowly ran their hands up his torso, lifting his shirt in the process until it was removed completely. A very hard and very naked Ethan sat with rosy red cheeks laughing hysterically.

“My little exhibitionist” Aiden gave a hearty laugh. “This is what happens when you try to get everyone else naked.”

Ethan was still giggling. “It was so worth it. Um, you guys can strip me like that anytime he says so.”

“Maybe we should say goodnight so you two can take care of that.” Casey pointed at Ethan’s erection. “Before he develops a case of blue balls as bright as his eyes get.”

“Either strip and join in or head for cover. I’m feeling frisky and we both have the day off tomorrow.” Ethan was bouncing around excitedly.

Everyone stood as the three got ready to head out. Darius and Casey shook hands with the couple, while Cody with his mischievous grin shook Aiden’s hand while grasping and shaking another part of Ethan’s anatomy. Seeing a clear drop on the endand receiving a nod from AidenCody ran his finger over the tip before licking his digit clean. “For someone as devilish and dirty minded as him, that’s awfully sweet.”

“Good night, guys.” Aiden walked their friends to the door. Once they were out he crossed his arms, turning to face his naked mate. “Now my little sex beast, what am I going to do with you?”

“Anything and everything you want, I hope. Think you could do your alpha wolf tonight?”

Aiden picked up his pup, threw him over his shoulder, and headed to their bedroom.

******

“Hello?” Aiden answered his phone even though the ID was restricted.

“Deputy Jacobs, it’s good to know you made it home safe to your mate. From the reports I heard I wasn’t sure.”

“Thank you. And I see you managed to remain safe as well.”

“As you once described, the older, more experienced Galactica always makes it through the fight, able to see another day. I received a tipoff a few hours before the assault began. Sadly, I wasn’t able to pass the warning on to anyone else in my organization.”

“Does this mean you’re permanently out of business? Or will this only be a temporary setback?”

“It’s too early to tell at this point, and I wouldn’t want to take away too much of the mystery so soon into this newest portion of the game.”

“I didn’t realize it was a game, although I did wonder if I was being played a few times. No offense, but as you told me a few times, keep my eyes open for all possibilities. I would suspect the game will now shift to seeing if the Lycan Council makes a move or passes until the next round.”

“No offense taken at all, Aiden. I would have been disappointed in you if you didn’t at least consider the possibility I was playing you. The Council has always been a player, though they don’t want anyone to know. They try to keep their cards close to the chest.”

“I would guess now there are associates of yours from the Council who are trying to figure if you made it out following their warning. If so, they’ll want to know where you’re at so they can exact some type of punishment for business losses you incurred when the town was taken.”

“You are far brighter than any of the men I had working for me. I understand and respect your loyalty, but as I said before, you could have gone far in a group like mine or anywhere for that matter. I’m sure some of my investors and business associates are currently not very pleased with recent events. Like with any investment, there was always a risk of loss. I would imagine a few of them are quite nervous, understandably so, that something might be found to implicate them in what would be considered high crimes within the Council. For now though, they will attempt to get me to contact them and confirm I’m alive.”

“My mate and my alpha will be the only ones I say anything to, and I doubt it will go any further. I suppose while I’m able to, I should say thank you for insuring our safety while we were your guests.”

“It was a small price to pay for the conversations I had with you. I should have picked up on the fact you’re an alpha coming into your own as the reason we could talk on the level of equals.”

“Even with the times we discussed differences in perspective, I find it just as easy talking to someone who’s been ranked an omega as I do my alpha or you for that matter.”

“That is perhaps one of your greatest gifts, and something that will take you far. I hope it’s a trait you never lose. As my organization was more militaristic, a casual conversation with my subordinates tended to prove difficult and could lead to a silver knife being plunged in the back.”

“Maybe during our talks we opened each other’s eyes to new possibilities.”

“Perhaps. Or reawakened old ideals. Only time will tell. My time for this call is about up, so one last thing before I go. One, five, eight, alpha, four, seven, two, theta. Write it down and remember it. You’ll figure out what to do with it, I’m sure. Until the next time we speak, Aiden.”

“Until next time.”

Seconds later, the line went dead.

Running with the Pack, WolfM, 2012-2016, All Rights Reserved
  • Like 94
  • Love 42
  • Wow 10
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Oh, computer password didn't occur to me but it makes sense. I would think the proof they need against the council is on there. Great chapter. I love how the story is flowing.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Ahhhh! Thanks jt hooks. :) Jackie did what I thought she would and her wolf agreed. Wow. The Thanksgiving dinner scene was lovely. And lifted the dark cloud of Michael. Excellent chapter!! :thankyou:

  • Like 5
Link to comment

i love this story and its better then your first attempt at running with the pack on nifty. great work keep it up I love Mondays new for when I can read this story

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 04/12/2016 09:38 AM, JayT said:

The password to his computer!!!!!! Great chapter again...your writing amazes me :worship::P;)

Thank you JT :) Could be his computer password or it might be for something else.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 04/12/2016 10:29 AM, avidreadr said:

Oh, computer password didn't occur to me but it makes sense. I would think the proof they need against the council is on there. Great chapter. I love how the story is flowing.

Thank you Avid. Your kind words always make me smile.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 04/12/2016 10:30 AM, LadyDe said:

Ahhhh! Thanks jt hooks. :) Jackie did what I thought she would and her wolf agreed. Wow. The Thanksgiving dinner scene was lovely. And lifted the dark cloud of Michael. Excellent chapter!! :thankyou:

LadyDe, as always, Thank you.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 04/12/2016 10:46 AM, jon86 said:

i love this story and its better then your first attempt at running with the pack on nifty. great work keep it up I love Mondays new for when I can read this story

Thank you Jon. Always a great compliment when I can make someone look forward to a Monday :) I have nothing posted on nifty, so unaware one by the same name there.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Yay, another chapter! I know it hasn't been ages since the last one, but it sure feels like it!
The dinner and support the pack and ex-ferals showed for Jackie was so great, it brought a lump to my throat, and then I laughed when the guys gave Ethan a taste of his own humor before Aiden took him upstairs. :)
So Jean-Pierre is still alive...in a way, that's good, and I think he may have learned something from his talks with Aiden, as well as vice-versa. Supplying the code he did, means he's giving the pack the proof they will need to survive any moves the Council will make. I'm glad he wasn't thoroughly evil as I'd feared, and has his own set of rules he lives by.
More please, Wolf!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 04/12/2016 12:42 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Yay, another chapter! I know it hasn't been ages since the last one, but it sure feels like it!

The dinner and support the pack and ex-ferals showed for Jackie was so great, it brought a lump to my throat, and then I laughed when the guys gave Ethan a taste of his own humor before Aiden took him upstairs. :)

So Jean-Pierre is still alive...in a way, that's good, and I think he may have learned something from his talks with Aiden, as well as vice-versa. Supplying the code he did, means he's giving the pack the proof they will need to survive any moves the Council will make. I'm glad he wasn't thoroughly evil as I'd feared, and has his own set of rules he lives by.

More please, Wolf!

Thank you CG :) The pack loves the Alpha couple and is particularly devoted to Jackie, mostly because she does take on a motherly responsibility towards anyone that needs it. Knowing she was hurting, everyone wanted to do their part to help.

I had fun with Ethan getting stripped and I'm just going to leave it at that for the moment :)

Jean-Pierre is kind of like a cut gem stone. There are many facets to him, some may be evil while others are not. He did engage in a lycan slave trade as well as kidnapping, extortion, etc, but that isn't all he is. It remains to be seen now much of those activities were his own design or that of others.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Truly a wonderful chapter full of meaning on many levels. I was glad that it was Jackie that took Michael out; in some way it always needed to be her that did it. The way the pack honored and showed their respect for her was amazing. The scene at the cemetery was poignant as well. The Thanksgiving scene at the Alpha couples house was amazing though; the fact that so many of the former feral wolves came to honor them says a lot about how this pack has accepted them and opened their arms and hearts to all of them.

 

The Thanksgiving with Aiden and Ethan and his family was just wonderful. I think the plans for the wedding are spot on but why do I feel something will disrupt one or both of them???

 

The scene with Ethan getting stripped was just too funny and so well done. I understand why the Alpha assigned the others to stay with and help protect Ethan and Aiden both. They may very well be the future Alpha couple, plus the Council is going to be sticking their noses in as well.

 

I can say that I am really excited that Jean-Pierre contacted Aiden. I really had missed their conversations. Have to wonder if the code is for the computer that they have been trying to break into or could it be for something even more meaningful? Jean-Pierre seemed to hint that Aiden would know how and when to use the code and I sort of doubt he is one of those involved in trying to get into the computer so it might be for something down the road.

 

Keep up the great work, this story is good on so many levels...

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 04/12/2016 03:48 PM, centexhairysub said:

Truly a wonderful chapter full of meaning on many levels. I was glad that it was Jackie that took Michael out; in some way it always needed to be her that did it. The way the pack honored and showed their respect for her was amazing. The scene at the cemetery was poignant as well. The Thanksgiving scene at the Alpha couples house was amazing though; the fact that so many of the former feral wolves came to honor them says a lot about how this pack has accepted them and opened their arms and hearts to all of them.

 

The Thanksgiving with Aiden and Ethan and his family was just wonderful. I think the plans for the wedding are spot on but why do I feel something will disrupt one or both of them???

 

The scene with Ethan getting stripped was just too funny and so well done. I understand why the Alpha assigned the others to stay with and help protect Ethan and Aiden both. They may very well be the future Alpha couple, plus the Council is going to be sticking their noses in as well.

 

I can say that I am really excited that Jean-Pierre contacted Aiden. I really had missed their conversations. Have to wonder if the code is for the computer that they have been trying to break into or could it be for something even more meaningful? Jean-Pierre seemed to hint that Aiden would know how and when to use the code and I sort of doubt he is one of those involved in trying to get into the computer so it might be for something down the road.

 

Keep up the great work, this story is good on so many levels...

Thank you Centex :) It always had to be Jackie that removed Michael. It would have worked if the Alpha did it, but it really needed to be her. Even though I didn't state it in the story, Jackie was the one to decide that Michael would be placed with the unknown wolves instead of with his ancestors. The former feral get the most attention at Thanksgiving, but it was also the pack wolves that had decided to live with the newcomers so they felt like part of the pack, but you're right, the pack opened its arms and hearts to those that were cured and in return along with their now pack mates did all they could to honor Jackie and the Alpha.

 

Ethan was wanting to make jokes to avoid the thought of needing security and although he's seen the others naked anytime they've shifted into their animal form, it's something he always enjoys, just like they all do. I would say the four others had as much fun stripping Ethan as Ethan did having it done to him. There might be a slightly different version of that scene floating around my computer, but I doubt it would ever see the light of day ;)

 

Jean-Pierre is a survivor. He also sees great potential in Aiden. Will he try to use that to his advantage or for his survival from the Council? The code could be for any number of things. Like he said, Aiden would know when and how to make use of it.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 04/12/2016 10:33 PM, heyham88 said:

Awesome chapter.

Still looking forward to more!!!

Thank you Ham :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Wow! What a start to the chapter: justice dispensed. Although I'm a little sad to see Michael go - who's going to take his place as someone to hate?
I'm really enjoying this story and surprising myself a little because shapeshifters are not my usual fare. :thankyou:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 04/13/2016 05:16 AM, northie said:

Wow! What a start to the chapter: justice dispensed. Although I'm a little sad to see Michael go - who's going to take his place as someone to hate?

I'm really enjoying this story and surprising myself a little because shapeshifters are not my usual fare. :thankyou:

Thank you Northie. In a way I was sad to kill off Michael, but it was his time.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I do not know why the everyone is praising Jackie killing her child. I understand that he was bad and deplorable, but her killing him gets no praise in my book, so be as it may, this is your book... know it is fiction and if I was to have children and they were like Michael i would not kill him I would not support him , but I would not kill him. another thing she is no better than him that is probably why he turned out that way she should have let the courts decide do not get me wrong he was a bad element pun intended  but he was still her child hate the sin not the person...this is  a part I did nt like Michael should have did in the attack not at hands of his mother... this is an amazing story and you did a great job I just do not like that part. I think he was sick 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
22 hours ago, patrick1991 said:

I do not know why the everyone is praising Jackie killing her child. I understand that he was bad and deplorable, but her killing him gets no praise in my book, so be as it may, this is your book... know it is fiction and if I was to have children and they were like Michael i would not kill him I would not support him , but I would not kill him. another thing she is no better than him that is probably why he turned out that way she should have let the courts decide do not get me wrong he was a bad element pun intended  but he was still her child hate the sin not the person...this is  a part I did nt like Michael should have did in the attack not at hands of his mother... this is an amazing story and you did a great job I just do not like that part. I think he was sick 

Thanks for this Patrick.  It's always fun for me to see the reactions and views of my readers.  In a human world I would agree with you wholeheartedly and I respect your views.  Since this takes place in a world with Lycan and packs structured similar to a wild wolf pack, that changes things a little.  Jackie acted out as a wolf more than as a mother or human.  Michael was a threat to the pack and as both mother of the offender and mate to the Alpha took the action her wolf felt was required to protect the pack.  The trial was just a formality since it had already been decided that John would be ending Michael's life as soon as his trial concluded.  Yes, Michael was sick and like a rabid animal, they must sometimes be destroyed.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Excellent.  It's good to see Michael dealt with permanently.  Unless there's a Stargate-like sarcophagus lying around somewhere ...

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Backwoods Boy said:

Excellent.  It's good to see Michael dealt with permanently.  Unless there's a Stargate-like sarcophagus lying around somewhere ...

Thank you, Backwoods. Not sure a sarcophagus like that could fix him after cremation ;)

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Maybe during out talks we opened - Maybe during our talks we opened
********
I am of two minds about Michael's death. He was plainly insane – certainly a megalomaniac and well deserved to die as even a life in prison would not save the pack from his insanity but his mother is not the Alpha nor is she  an enforcer (police officer), so she is not legally the person to perform the assassination. On the other hand, there might be a moral responsibility to rid the world of the wolves from such a person. It is part of the fascination with this story and with your writing, Mann, to leave the reader with such a quandary.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 2/15/2020 at 1:59 AM, Will Hawkins said:

Maybe during out talks we opened - Maybe during our talks we opened
********
I am of two minds about Michael's death. He was plainly insane – certainly a megalomaniac and well deserved to die as even a life in prison would not save the pack from his insanity but his mother is not the Alpha nor is she  an enforcer (police officer), so she is not legally the person to perform the assassination. On the other hand, there might be a moral responsibility to rid the world of the wolves from such a person. It is part of the fascination with this story and with your writing, Mann, to leave the reader with such a quandary.

Jackie is not The Alpha of the pack, but she is half of the alpha pair. She's a full alpha in her own right and silently splits the leadership duties with her mate. Per position as part of the alpha pair gives her the rights to step in when needed. Ultimately she's the mother to the pack and will defend those they care for. With her own son as the danger, in her mind it had to be her to deal with him.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Sorry about the slip – you are NOT Mann, Wolfie. 

I follow your reasoning about Jackie being the one to behave as she did with her son. No, she is NOT the alpha of the pack, but she IS the mother if the miscrant and has a right to be his killer. This is one of the faults with human jurisprudence….the person who is hurt the most by a criminal act, is not the one who is given the privilege of extracting revenge. But, in another sense, the public, by means of a trial and sentence by a jury of non-involved persons, is the better means of extracting justice, because a crime, while being directed against one person is a crime against all as well. Or is that too far fetched and 'goody-two-shoes' to be realistic? 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 7/10/2021 at 7:03 AM, Will Hawkins said:

Sorry about the slip – you are NOT Mann, Wolfie. 

I follow your reasoning about Jackie being the one to behave as she did with her son. No, she is NOT the alpha of the pack, but she IS the mother if the miscrant and has a right to be his killer. This is one of the faults with human jurisprudence….the person who is hurt the most by a criminal act, is not the one who is given the privilege of extracting revenge. But, in another sense, the public, by means of a trial and sentence by a jury of non-involved persons, is the better means of extracting justice, because a crime, while being directed against one person is a crime against all as well. Or is that too far fetched and 'goody-two-shoes' to be realistic? 

To quote Mahatma Gandhi on justice and revenge, he said that an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. Jackie is also the mother to the pack in her position as luna.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Brilliant chapter.  JP sounds like Aiden has influenced his thinking.  At one point JP talking to Aiden mentioned he started out having high ideals.  In this conversation he indicated he was reevaluating his thoughts.  Great chapter once again. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..