Jump to content
    WolfM
  • Author
  • 6,692 Words
  • 13,453 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Running with the Pack - 40. Chapter 40

The drive south on the Trans Canadian Highway had an almost hypnotic effect on the passengers in the SUV. Even Darius had to concentrate to stay alert as an endless row of trees lined the blacktop and concrete path. Snow banks encroached on each side of the highway making the two-lane road feel a little narrower. The three young pups’ eyes closed as they slumbered. Whether it was the excitement wearing off from being picked up by this new group of people or the calming sound of the road under the tires, they were down for the count.

Aiden called John to update him on their situation. “Alpha, we’re on our way home.”

“That was fast. Did you find what you were looking for?”

“We did. We’re returning with four guests. Three are small pups. We expect to make the border in about seven hours.”

“You’re still planning to enter through Buffalo?”

“Yes, Alpha.”

“I’ll call my counterpart there and make sure he’s got some of his people on duty with Customs. Give me a call when you’re an hour from the crossing, so I can update them.”

After discussing a few more details, the call ended.

Aiden whispered to Darius. “He said there should be friendly lycan on duty at the border when we arrive.” He turned in his seat to speak with Marie. “Our alpha will have accommodations ready for you and the pups by the time we get there.”

“Thank you. You are not what I expect from one of my mate’s associates, especially since you travel with a solaris.”

“I’m not exactly one of Jean-Pierre’s associates. As to my friend, I trust him with my life, like I do all those I came with.”

“I meant no disrespect with my comment. It’s just my husband has had bad dealings with solaris in the past and developed a bad attitude towards them and those who associate with them.” She sighed heavily. “Perhaps I should stop talking before I get myself in trouble.”

“Ma’am, I take no offense. Some of my kind still hold bitter feelings towards wolves because of the ancient stories of wars between our people. I’ve been lucky enough to encounter wolves who prefer to know the person instead of the history.” Darius glanced at the woman in the rearview mirror. “I realize you’ve been thrust into a group you’re unfamiliar with after being sequestered in a remote location for your safety. But know this, Aiden gave his word to protect you all, and his word carries to me as well. Although we doubt there will be any problems, if any do arise, I will fight to my dying breath to protect you and your pups.”

“I think I am beginning to understand why my husband trusts you, Aiden. It may take me some time to trust you myself. I have the young ones to think of, but I am grateful you came for us and we are out of that isolation. As for you, Mister Lion, you sound like you live up to the reputation of the Leos. The only thing worse than battling a protective one is fighting a protective mother.”

In the silence of the ride, Aiden appraised their travel companions more than he was able to do at the house. It was difficult to judge Marie’s age, but he guessed it was somewhere around the same as Jean-Pierre, whatever that might be. She had pulled her long black hair into a ponytail and held her daughter close to her. Her scent was not threatening and had a moderate amount of fear. Given her situation, fear was understandable. He knew as with any mother wolf, regardless of size, she was not to be messed with where her pups were concerned.

He was curious as to her level of involvement with the rogue gang. She was mated to a man who had engaged in serious crimes against other lycan and possibly humans. He did not trust Marie. Given who her mate was, he had no reason to do so. Ultimately, he figured these questions could wait until they were home. Especially if the information he was supposedly carrying was as valuable as claimed. He had made a deal to protect her and the children in exchange for the information, and he would live up to it.

Glancing back again, the rearmost seat of the SUV held Casey, Cody, and the oldest boy of about ten who favored his father’s looks. The center seat held Ethan, Marie, the middle boy who appeared to be around seven, and the youngest was a girl of four or five who resembled her mother with long black hair. The three children slept soundly which made the drive much more pleasant. So many people made for a cramped ride, especially for Casey in the back, but they made do.

******

When the group arrived at the international border between the United States and Canada, it was busy. Cars and trucks awaited inspection before entry. Two men approached the vehicle, one with a German Shepherd he walked around the SUV. The other went to the driver’s window. “You must be Aiden Jacobs.”

“Yes, sir.”

“I need the passports for everyone in the vehicle. Do you have anything to declare?”

Aiden handed over the identifications for his passengers. “Nothing to declare. We didn’t have time to go shopping.”

“The reason for such a short trip? Just a routine question I have to ask.”

“Picking up my cousin and her kids to stay with the family for a month.”

The Custom’s agent made notes on his tablet as he scanned the U.S. passport cards and stamped the Canadian ones. “Could you open the back just so we can have the drug dog finish his check? That’s really all we have left to make this look official.”

Aiden got out and did as asked. The agent with the dog finished his duties as the other handed back everyone’s documents. “I hope you all have a pleasant day.” He extended his hand to Aiden and held it slightly longer than a normal handshake. “Hope I’m not out of line here, but it’s nice having a sexy wolf like you come through here.”

“Not out of line, and thank you. My mate says the same thing to me almost every night.” Aiden tipped his head towards Ethan and flashed the agent a brilliant smile. “If we didn’t have the other passengers, I’m betting he would have suggested strip searching each other.” He grinned at the scent of the man’s arousal before climbing back into the SUV.

 

******

By the time they reached Silver Pines, it was well after midnight and everyone was tired of being cramped and ready to get out. They went straight to the pack office where the alpha’s assistant, Heather, greeted them. “Welcome back. Go right in. We’ve been waiting up for you.”

“Thanks, Heather.” Knocking on the door before opening it, Aiden held it for John’s aide.

“Good to have you all back safe.” John extended his hand. “That went much faster than expected.”

“Thank you, Alpha. I would like to present Marie and her three children. Marie, this is Alpha Stockdale.” Aiden stepped to the side.

“Marie, welcome to our territory. We will do all we can to make your stay here as pleasant as possible. For however long you need to be with us.”

“Thank you, Alpha Stockdale. We are honored to be guests in your territory. Your pack mates have already been exceptionally gracious to us.”

“We’ve got housing set up for the four of you. I know it’s late and after that drive I’m sure you’d like to rest up and take some time to relax.” John tried to put the woman at ease. “There’s a park with a playground the pups might enjoy in the morning, even with the cold weather. We will have people assigned to stay nearby, as a precaution and in case you need anything.”

“Heather, would you please introduce Marie to the security detail and then show her to the guest quarters? Make sure she and the pups have everything they need.”

“Yes, Alpha. Ma’am, this way if you please.”

Once Marie and the children were gone, Aiden pulled one of the hard drives out of his pack. “We have twenty of these, and twenty flash drives that mate to each other. When he told her to go with us, he told me he would give us the decryption key when he knew she was safely here.”

“Did he indicate what was on these?”

“Everything, Alpha. Everything he’s done since he took over the gang. Every transaction he did with anyone, including members of and packs within the Council, and information on other rogue groups. It’s their entire operation. These are all terabyte drives. He told me not to connect any of this to a computer until he gives us the access code.”

“It would seem in your short time with him, you made quite an impression for him to not only entrust with his family, but also these. I was impressed by him returning your badge to you. If this is legit, it’s the mother lode.”

“I’ve got my suspicions as to why, Alpha. But whatever it is, this might be what you and the others have been looking for to put a stop to what’s been going on in the Council. When we’ve had some time to rest up from the drive, I’ll ask her to contact him and get the code so we can start unlocking all this.”

“Go home and get some sleep, all of you. You’ve earned it.”

“Thank you, Alpha.”

******

Once Marie was in her room, and the pups were safely sleeping, she pulled out her satellite phone and inserted the battery. The many years she had been with her mate taught her to distrust those she did not know, those who were not her pack. And yet, her mate said it was safe to go with Aiden. Still, she wondered what would become of her and the children once they had what they wanted. Dialing Jean-Pierre, she waited.

“Are you and the pups safe?”

“Yes, they have been very kind to us so far. Their alpha granted his protection for as long as needed. Are you sure they can be trusted?”

“You wouldn’t be with them now if I wasn’t. Aiden was not going to be enticed to join me. He cannot be bought by anyone and believes in duty to others above self-interest. Unless he was able to completely fool me, and no one’s been able to do that in years. You and our pups are safe with them, and I will see you again.”

“I got that impression of him from talking on the drive here. I wasn’t sure if I should be concerned he keeps company with a solaris, but the lion seems to be as loyal to duty as Aiden.”

“Somehow, I’m not surprised. Young Deputy Jacobs appears to be everything the alpha’s son described and more.”

“With all you told me about the son, why should we not think the father is just as bad?”

“That worthless, rabid mutt described his father and Aiden as being very much alike. Both are committed to their duty to others. They will not place people at risk without need, but they will protect their people, and I suspect you and our pups to the death.”

“I miss you, my love. And the pups miss their father.”

“I miss you all as well. Arrange a meeting with Aiden and his alpha for ten tomorrow morning. He kept his end of the bargain, and I know he will continue to see to your safety. I may be a thief who shows little honor as a wolf, but I must uphold my end of this deal. Give the pups a kiss for me.”

“You are a good mate and wonderful father, regardless of the things you have done. If you speak to the others, tell them I miss them as well. Je t’aime, mon mari.”

“Bonne nuit, mon amour”

After hearing him say good night, my love, Marie turned off the phone. When she opened the door she found a guard standing watch.

“Can I get you something, Ma’am?”

“Would you inform your alpha I need to speak with him and Aiden at ten in the morning?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“Thank you, and goodnight.”

******

A little before ten, Marie was escorted to a tech lab in the Hunter Corps offices. Her pups were taken to meet with a private instructor to evaluate their educational needs for their stay. In addition to Aiden and the alpha, three tech guys from the sheriff’s department and a few from the Corps were present. They had been working to crack Jean-Pierre’s laptop for the last several weeks. At precisely ten o’clock, Marie’s sat phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Good morning, my love. Would you put me on speaker for everyone to hear?” After she pressed the speaker button he asked with a hint of enjoyment in his voice, “Pegasus Actual?”

“Go ahead, Galactica Actual, this is Pegasus. Fleet Command and our tech guys are present.”

Marie rolled her eyes, threw her hands in the air, and walked away mumbling a few choice expletives in French. The tech guys nearly had a geekgasm, and John gave a bemused smile.

Aiden laughed. ”I’ll explain later.”

“Aiden, always a pleasure. Alpha Stockdale, I wish to convey my gratitude for sheltering my mate and pups. As well as commend you on your exceptional pack members. I would also like to apologize for the unfortunate events which have led to this point. At the risk of offending, I do want to offer my condolences on those lost by you.”

“You’re family will be given safe harbor for as long as needed. If this information proves to be what you say, we might just be able to forget about that little incident in November.”

“I understand, and we can discuss that at a future time. I assume you have my former laptop, and I am guessing you have not gotten into it yet.”

“That’s correct. We have it here.”

This code will unlocks it: NeBula_7242_CoNstellation_HuSker. The wording is spelled out with caps on the first and third letter, underscore between words, and no spaces between numbers. Some of my most recent information is on there including an audio file of the warning I received in advance of your assault on the town. I would be surprised if you didn’t recognize the voice on the call.”

“Confirm that. The tech guys just gave me a thumbs up. The laptop is unlocked.”

“For the next part, you will find there are twenty large volume hard drives and twenty flash drives. Each one is numbered, and the numbers correspond to each other. Connect the wrong flash drive to a computer the hard drive is plugged into, and it will destroy the information. You tech guys use extreme caution and listen closely. The hard drive is to be connected first. It will give you a prompt for the flash drive. When you insert the flash drive, it will ask for a password. The code to enter is: AdM.NaGala_BSGAtlantia_PiConfleet1. Same rules as with the other one, and BSG is all caps.”

“The code is confirmed. The first hard drive is unlocked.” John was astonished by the number of data files on the screen. “Are all these drives full?”

"Yes, most all of them are full or nearly full. On drive twenty, as well as on my laptop, you should find names and pack information for the people recovered from the cells in the chamber beyond the feral pens. And yes, I do have information on most of what happened when the town was taken. I think you will also find their packs no longer exist, and the Lycan Council has not investigated why. Or notified anyone. While I had nothing to do with the destruction, I am guilty of transporting and arranging new homes for those unwilling shifters. And for many other lycan that will be listed in various documents you now have.”

“I understand. It will take some time to go through all this information and make sense of it. Let alone begin to put it into any format for proper use. With luck, we can come up with enough to use within the next two months before the Congress of Alphas.”

“I would suggest focusing on the higher number drives first. They have the most recent information pertaining to the current Lycan Council. You’ll also find packs that have done business with me and information on other rogue groups.”

“I find it somewhat ironic that the Lycan Council always talked about how rogues were trying to destroy our government, and it might turn out a rogue is delivering the information to cause the Council to destroy itself.”

“Perhaps not destroy it, but allow it to clean house and rebuild. As a young wolf recently showed me, not all of the Council is inherently bad. With people like him and those who raised him there is hope for a fresh start. One additional word of warning, I doubt you will like the information you find, so you must decide if you wish to proceed and discover things about those in power you didn’t know. Unless your tech staff has additional questions, that should be all the information you need to access what Aiden has delivered to you.’

“The tech staff seems quite happy at the moment. If questions come up, we will ask your mate to arrange a time we can contact you.”

“Alpha Stockdale, please take care of my family and good hunting to you. Aiden, a pleasure as always and my thanks. My mate, I will talk to you soon.” After Marie said goodbye, Jean-Pierre disconnected.

******

“I want you to create at least four backups of this before you start working on it. It isn’t that I think you’ll screw something up, but I don’t want to take any chances with this information. Also, and yes I realize you already know this, don’t connect it to anything on our network. If you need to build an isolated network to deal with all this, do it. Just buy what’s needed. I don’t care about the cost.”

“Yes, Alpha. We’re all working from a safety and backup checklist we wrote up as soon as we found out what we had. Each step has to be checked off by two people on each drive, or we don’t move to the next one.”

“I’d also like you to prep one complete set of backups for shipment to a different location. Use heavy encryption on it. If you can, duplicate the security program on the flash drives. We’ll ship those separately. Once you assess the first hard drive and the laptop, let me know what people or resources you need for going through all this.”

“Alpha, we found the audio file with the pre-attack warning he mentioned.”

“Play it.”

“Todd, to what do I owe the pleasure of a call from you this late at night?”

“Jean, you are about to be overrun by a coalition of packs who intend to bring down your organization.”

“You weren’t able to prevent this from happening?”

“They didn’t come to the Council before deciding to take this action. You shouldn’t have hit a pack the size and strength of Parker Valley. They want retribution as well as the return of their people.”

“Mister Preston already made his point about the attack with his usual bluster. What’s the point of being head of Council Security if you don’t even get good intelligence before it’s too late? Forget I asked that. It’s probably the same question the packs ask you after I’ve conducted a raid.”

“We can discuss that later. For now, it’s recommended you destroy any sensitive information and make a hasty exit. We may not be able to stop this from happening, but our people will take control of the situation as quickly as possible and preserve the bunker and the merchandise vaults. We’ll contact you through the backup channels as soon as it is clear.”

“How much time?”

“If intelligence is correct, they’ll attack in approximately six hours.”

“Doesn’t leave much time. I’ll get started now on destroying data and will tell my people I need to go into Montreal on business again. Thank you for the warning.”

“That’s all of it, Alpha.”

“And the first domino falls.” John turned and walked out of the room.

******

“Alpha, Sheriff, he had the information broken down by type in the most recent hard drive. That made our job a little easier. There are calls, meetings, and a whole lot more. All total, it’s just shy of one terabyte on this drive alone.”

“I’ve got someone in mind to go through the financial reports. Sometimes it’s good to have a pack big enough you need an accounting staff. It’s going to be a pain listening to the audio files, but we’ll get someone for that and for reviewing the emails.” John crossed his arms as he looked at the information projected on the wall.

“There are names on a lot of the phone calls and most are already in folders. Each one appears specific to one person.” The tech opened the call files, displaying dozens of subfolders with individuals’ names on them. “We’ll flag any that stand out for priority review if you like.”

“If the name is a senior member of the administration, it’s a priority.” John ran his hand through his hair. “Dan, give me a list of people you’d recommend bringing in on this, and we can compare it with the ones I’m thinking of. I’m going to need to brief the other alphas soon.”

“John, a lot of the lunis would very much like to get to work for the pack in some way.” Dan scribbled several names down and handed it to his friend. “They’ve been helping with the construction of the new apartments or waiting on other jobs in the territory. I’m sure they would all be happy to help out.”

“I was thinking the same thing. It might help with the healing of being held by this group to bring down those behind it.”

“Alpha.” One of the tech guys got his leader’s attention. “There are quite a few calls in a folder labeled TP, and another folder marked TM. There are several in the days before we took the town listed as Tom Preston.”

“Well, gentlemen, it seems we need to find corroborating evidence that implicates the Vice President of the Lycan Council as well as the security director. Get phone calls loaded onto one computer, meeting files on another, emails on one, and so forth. I need the financial reports copied to give to the accounting staff. We’ll start from there and see where we can get with the last six months before we go back further.”

“Yes, Alpha. Give us a few hours, and we’ll have things copied. We’ll set up in the training room for when you bring in the extra help.”

The alpha and sheriff stepped outside to chat. “God almighty, John. It was always suspected there were high-ups at the Council who were involved in this stuff, but two of the top officials?”

“So far all we have is a name on a file. I’ve talked to the Security Director enough to know his voice and can confirm he made the call alerting the gang to our attack. As far as the other name, there’s nothing definite yet. I want more than a phone call. There needs to be indisputable evidence when this comes out.”

“Understood. Do you want me to talk to the lunis or would you like to do it?”

“I’ll take care of it. I’ve wanted to check out the progress on the new housing. There is one other item I wanted to discuss. What are your thoughts on me elevating Aiden’s rank in the pack?”

“I would say he’s definitely earned it, and it wouldn’t hurt to try and get things into place just in case.”

“My thoughts exactly. I’ll check in with you in a little while. Do me a favor and check to see if any of our close allies have any forensic investigators in the FBI or other agencies who can help with all this data. Also, notify any of our pack members who are living away from the territory and are working in investigative services. Let them know they’re needed here if they can come home. We’re going to need additional people with the skills to go beyond just reviewing with the people we have here.”

“Yes, Alpha.”

******

John sat in the passenger seat of his truck as his escort remained silent, knowing his alpha had a lot on his mind. The drive out to the new apartments gave John time to think about what had already been found. Just like the rules governing his pack, the rules that governed the Lycan Council were something he had always believed in. There was suspicion of corruption throughout the organization and that some might be doing business with criminal gangs. Confirmation many of the highest-ranking officials were the ones he and others had been trying to expose was almost too much to fathom.

By the time he arrived at the apartment site, he had decided to contact his most trusted friends and share the revelation of the call from the Security Director. Even though he could have listened to the audio files for the others, he wanted to find additional information before making further accusations. His thoughts also went to this mysterious Jean-Pierre. Was this person trying to save his own fur by cooperating at this point? Or was there something else behind it? If the people he was now protecting were the mate and pups of the man who attacked his pack, it was an absolutely huge show of faith by the now former gang leader. Deciding it was time to file these thoughts away, John got out of his truck and headed for Rafe’s office trailer.

“Alpha, I didn’t realize you were going to stop by.” Rafe stepped out from behind a desk piled with blueprints, inspection reports, and invoices. He was surprised by the look on his friend’s face. “That bad a day so far?”

“More like unexpected information. Anyways, I hadn’t stopped by here for a while, and I wanted to see the progress. I also need to speak with a few of the residents.”

“I’ll give you the tour. Building one’s finished, and the common building’s nearly complete. Building two’s about sixty percent, and three’s about forty percent done.”

“Lead the way. This is your baby.”

Rafe took John through the original structure they had converted into loft-style apartments. A few of the units had not been occupied yet. The alpha was impressed with the work to take advantage of several features of the industrial site. While the apartments were roomy and welcoming, they retained the feel of the old factory.

“These turned out great. I think you’ve outdone yourself on this project.”

“Thanks, John. The lunis have been a big help by putting in a lot of sweat equity into it. We did the common space about the same as the original apartments with a dining hall, lounge, game room, and laundry facilities.”

They walked toward number two and toured it. It had the same style apartments. But since it was completely new construction it did not have the old, reclaimed feel of first one. When they got to the third, it was still in the rough-framed state. Lacking the high ceilings of the loft units, they resembled more traditional modern ones. Unlike the original apartments in town, there were a few with two bedroom units to accommodate wolves with families who wanted to stay in the tight community atmosphere of the complex.

“I can’t get over how far you’ve come in such a short period of time. And given there was an attack, bad weather, and a few other issues along the way. Very good job, my friend.”

“After getting all the new arrivals, we knew there was a rush to get it done so we could get everyone housed.”

“Thank you for the tour. I’ll get out of your hair. I need to talk to the former ferals. We’ll need to pull some of them off this project to help with research on the recovered hard drives.”

“That’s not a problem, especially with how far along we are. Most of the heavy construction’s done, and it’s finishing work for number two. As long as you leave me a small crew, we can finish the heavy stuff for number three with no issue.” Rafe regarded his friend for a moment. “I had a feeling you found something on those drives. Your mood seemed a bit off.” Rafe called to his oldest son. “Joe, would you get the new crew together in front of the office? The alpha needs to talk to them in ten minutes.”

“Sure, Dad.”

“When do you think you’ll be finished?” John pulled out his phone and glanced at his calendar. “Or more to the point, when would you like to have a grand opening celebration here?”

“We could probably do it anytime between two weeks and a month out. All depends on your schedule. Maybe have the pack meeting here one week as part of the party for it. I know the crew will enjoy having you officially open the complex.”

“I’m glad we have the resources to be able to do this to help out the former ferals.”

“John, I mean no disrespect, but you need to stop that right now.”

“Stop what?” He was surprised by the tone and abruptness of his friend.

“Referring to them as former ferals. Or should we start calling this complex our leper colony?”

“You’re right. I do. I’ve been trying to train myself to come up with a different term, but I catch myself referring to them like that. And it isn’t fair. They may not officially be members of this pack, and it may be an accurate description, but it isn’t fair to them. I do apologize. Please call me out anytime you hear me use that term.”

Joe returned with the crew. “Alpha, Dad, the Tucker Construction crew is present as requested.”

“Ladies and gentlemen, Rafe gave me a tour of the site and I have to say you have all done an outstanding job.” He took a moment before continuing. “I requested you here so I might ask for volunteers on a sensitive research project that needs to be completed before the Congress of Alphas in April. There’s a lot information we captured from the rogue gang. I need people who feel they can go through reports and listen to audio files while taking notes. Our goal’s to figure out who was involved and how we can use the information. Anyone interested, step forward. Starting tomorrow, we’ll have you working with other pack members and the sheriff’s team on this.”

Out of forty new arrivals present, thirty-three stepped forward. Most looked to Rafe who confirmed he could spare them.

“I thank you for volunteering. Everyone will work in teams of two so there’s back-up on everything. Given the nature of what you’ll be reviewing, we need to make absolutely sure of what we find. I also need to impress upon you all that everything you see or hear must be kept confidential. When you’re outside the research rooms, none of this can be discussed. If the information leaks out, it could put a massive target on this pack or allow guilty parties to escape justice.”

******

John listened to the audio file of the call warning of the impending assault several times and reviewed emails identified as belonging to the security director. He finally dialed the number for his friend and counterpart in the Columbia River Pack in Oregon.

“John, what can I do for you today?”

“Morning, Mark. It seems I have in my possession not just the first smoking gun but the smoking armory. What I’ve seen so far points to someone we both know from your neighbor’s pack.”

“Are you sure? I mean, has it been verified?”

“I recognize the voice on a phone call’s recording. The emails we’ve identified we are still trying to verify, but they look authentic. I would like to send you an audio file and get your thoughts on it.”

“Go ahead. I’m in front of my computer now.”

John pressed the send button and moments later heard the chime on the other end of the phone indicating his friend had received the file. In the background, he could hear it playing followed by silence.

“I recognize the voice since I’ve talked to him quite often about various matters. As I’m sure you have. You are certain that the other person on the call is actually the rogue leader?”

“We pulled the file off his confiscated laptop.”

“This definitely complicates things having him involved.”

“Yes, it does. Although, it ultimately doesn’t change anything.” John took a breath. “Now that you’ve identified the voice on your own, I’m sending you some additional information to review. Just a heads up on others possibly involved, there are a number of phone calls and emails listed under TP. In one case, the full name’s spelled out.”

“This TP wouldn’t also happen to have the title of VP before his name at the present time, would he?”

“You’re a quick man, Mark. I would like to have your people independently verify anything we find. If you’re willing.”

“Like you have to ask. We’ve both been trying to find anything we can to finally put a stop to all the back stabbing that’s been going on.”

“I’ve got teams going through the first of twenty hard drives. As soon as we have enough on any one person, I’ll send it to you for your own analysis. I’m also going to send it to several of the others for them to do the same. If we make accusations, I want us to all be sure.”

“I’ll have my top investigators begin working on whatever you sent me.”

“If you have the people for it, I’ll send you a duplicate of all the hard drives. That way you can run your own independent investigation on their contents.”

“That sounds like a good idea. It lessens the possibility someone will say it was doctored by one pack.”

“Expect a FedEx package in the morning. There’ll be a separate shipment of flash drives. You’ll need them and a code I’ll share when you get them to access the information. As soon as we have enough to move forward, I want to call a meeting of the regional packs I’ve been working with and some of our more trusted allies like you.”

“With luck, we can do this before the alphas meet. Perhaps get new people in to administer the Council and muzzle some of their authority.”

“Give me a call, if you would, when you receive the drives.”

“Sure thing. I’ll talk to you in the morning, my friend.”

******

Everyone filed into the room and sat. There were thirty-two of the new arrivals and another thirty-six were pack members. The alpha and sheriff entered, followed by the sheriff’s second in command, Deputy Bob Montgomery, three detectives, and four members of the tech staff.

“If I could have everyone’s attention?” The room fell silent when John spoke. “I want to thank you all for coming in to help on this project. This is of great importance to not only this pack but others across North America. I realize not all of you are experts at working with computers, but we will do the best we can. The information you’ll have access to is read-only, so there’s no chance of hitting the wrong button and deleting something. Deputy Montgomery will have your work assignments.”

The deputy stepped to the podium at the head of the training room. “To keep this simple, just call me Bob if you have any questions. I know a good portion of you. Some of our newer arrivals I haven’t had the chance to meet yet. At each work station, we’ll place two of you to work side by side. It was felt two sets of eyes or ears to look over and listen to everything would be best, as well as cutting down on errors. Our tech guys will help you with any computer related problems you might have. If something you read or hear seems to stand out as highly important, flip the switch for the light on your station, and one of the three detectives or I will come and look at it. Finally, when you open a new file to review, you’ll see the file name appear on the other computer screen.” He demonstrated on the projection monitor at the front of the room. “Fill in the field for any names mentioned. When you finish, save what you entered, and we’ll be able to cross reference that file with people we can properly identify. Are there any questions so far?”

“So you want us to scan through all this to find what needs additional review?”

“That’s correct. We don’t know what’s in all of these. It’s about the same as processing documents for a major trial. In this case, a massive amount of information was dumped on us, and we need to find the needle in the haystack that is of actual use and importance.” Bob waited a moment for any additional questions, hearing none he proceeded. “I discussed this with the alpha and I’m going to pair one lifer with one new arrival. Now, before anyone thinks it’s because we trust one group less, you can forget about that. I’m doing this with the thought it’ll help integrate both groups. Also, we know the computer training the people who’ve grown up here received in school. If anyone thinks this idea’s unfair to either group, I’d like to hear it now.”

One of the new arrivals stood. “I can only speak for myself, but your reasoning sounds good. I for one am grateful since I can hopefully learn from whoever you pair me up with.”

A born member stood. “It shouldn’t be an issue to anyone, Bob. It makes new and old work together, not that either group needs to be made to do anything together since we’re all one pack.”

The alpha addressed the group one last time before they got to work. “In a way, it’s difficult for even myself to come up with a proper way of referring to the groups, be it those who’ve recently joined us, or those who’ve been here all their lives. I know some of the newer wolves here may eventually return to packs that were your homes before, if they still exist. Others may choose to officially join us, but whatever happens in the future, each and every one of you in this room is Parker Valley Pack today.”

Bob Montgomery called out the assignments and got people seated where they needed to be. It would be slow, painstaking work, but it was finally underway. After an hour, several of the workers flipped on the light at their station, alerting the detectives something needed to be checked.

One of the teams who called a detective to check what they were looking at sat reading over the document again. As the detective stepped up behind them to find out what caught their attention, one of the working pair pointed at the screen. “Are we seeing what I think we are? Does that really mean what it looks like?”

The detective stood and waved Bob over. “You need to call the alpha. He’s going to want to see this right away.”

Running with the Pack, WolfM, 2012-2016, All Rights Reserved
  • Like 109
  • Love 42
  • Wow 9
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well well well...I have some questions on some stuff but I have a feeling those may be answered later on. One thing that has me curious is this: The wife says after confirming she is safe: “If you speak to the others, tell them I miss them as well. Je t’aime mon mari.” (I love you my husband)" who are those people that she is talking about.
:read::ph34r:
Bravo Bravo.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 05/10/2016 09:39 AM, rbenn55 said:

Well well well...I have some questions on some stuff but I have a feeling those may be answered later on. One thing that has me curious is this: The wife says after confirming she is safe: “If you speak to the others, tell them I miss them as well. Je t’aime mon mari.” (I love you my husband)" who are those people that she is talking about.

:read::ph34r:

Bravo Bravo.

Thanks Rbenn... I'm just going to say you will have to wait and see ;)

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 05/10/2016 02:37 PM, centexhairysub said:

This was a great chapter but in some ways it opened more avenues for additional questions than it actually answered. Who were the others that Jean-Pierre is supposedly with? What information did they find at the end? How many people on the council are involved? Inquiring minds want to know...

 

Really like how the Alpha and others are trying to integrate the new comers with the members of the pack. It is just another sign on how truly different this pack is in some ways from others. Promoting Aiden within the pack is also a good idea. While I am not sure he is strong enough to actually lead the pack if something were to happen to the Alpha, he needs to be ready to step into any power vacuum that arises if something happened to the pack elders.

 

Great job, can't wait for the next installment...

Thank you Centex. Hopefully inquiring minds will find what they want soon and that's all I'm going to say on some of those questions for now :) Physically, Aiden is more than strong enough to take over as Alpha since no one short of Ethan could potentially best him; though Ethan could only do that with his extra abilities. It would be a lot for Aiden to take on if he were to step into the Alpha position too soon.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

So many questions. I don't even need to ask them, because all the questions I had were made in the comments before.  Of course, you WolfM have already given an answer:

Quote

Thanks Rbenn... I'm just going to say you will have to wait and see ;)

Fortunately for me reading an already complete story, it will only take as long as I can stay awake. :gikkle: I have to go now and find out why all the lights are on.

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
On 4/20/2022 at 8:01 AM, raven1 said:

So many questions. I don't even need to ask them, because all the questions I had were made in the comments before.  Of course, you WolfM have already given an answer:

Fortunately for me reading an already complete story, it will only take as long as I can stay awake. :gikkle: I have to go now and find out why all the lights are on.

You've had me smiling as I go through these comments. I enjoy when a chapter causes questions. :)

  • Love 5
Link to comment
On 1/20/2023 at 8:04 PM, Al Norris said:

 

Let's not forget that Aiden has another Alpha at his right hand side. I should also mention that there are at least 4 other shifters that will back them both up.

I'm figuring that if the worst comes sooner, rather than later, it will be a steep learning curve at first. These guys are quick learners, so I'm not at all concerned.

Aiden is well liked and respected by the pack, so he'd have a great deal of support from more than just the four, well, five if you put Ethan in the group.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Wow a great chapter, so much going on this is going to cause one hell of a explosion hear around the world of the shifters!:thankyou:

  • Love 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

Wow a great chapter, so much going on this is going to cause one hell of a explosion hear around the world of the shifters!:thankyou:

Thank you, Albert. I really didn't expect to be writing political intrigue when I started this project, but will admit I had fun with it.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Ajbt2001 said:

@WolfMyou and your damn hangers on of cliffs. LMAO!! I love it. I'm getting more popcorn. 

They just sort of happen. It's rarely planned. :rofl:  At least you have the benefit of the next chapter being available. When I'm posting, my readers have to wait a full week. ;)

  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 12/16/2023 at 8:52 AM, Albert1434 said:

You have done an outstanding job on this story loving it!:thankyou:

Thank you, Albert. :hug:

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..