Jump to content
    WolfM
  • Author
  • 6,266 Words
  • 15,539 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Running with the Pack - 17. Chapter 17

Ethan had considerable difficulty trying to come to terms with the fact he might be what the alpha called ‘an Elemental’. He did not fully comprehend what that meant, but he knew if it was true there was nothing he could do about it. It did not mean trying to accept what he was told was any easier. Still, he had never had reason to question his humanity before. Now it appeared he was not entirely human. He tried to reason that if and when he let Aiden bite him, he would not be fully human anyway. That concept seemed more straight forward as it was something he had control over, it was his choice. It was a change he had been preparing himself for. Even though the alpha said Aiden, and only Aiden, would be able to turn him, he still worried they might never be able to truly become mates. From what he had learned, any bite from a lycan would turn a human, yet he was not turned when Michael bit him. All of this left him with an existential crisis there seemed little anyone could do to help him with.

Beyond the turmoil about possibly being an Elemental or one of the other things the alpha mentioned; he was having a hard time dealing with killing the feral. He had caught fish and small animals in the mountains for food, but this time was different. The way the others described it, something within him had lashed out and killed another creature without even touching it. He went back and forth between denial and telling himself the beast might have killed Aiden, or Casey, or even all three of them. He did not like that he had supposedly killed the wolf so violently. The thought he was capable of something so fierce terrified him.

Ethan knew wolves fought. He had been present for two fights involving Aiden, although he did not actually get to see much of either. In the first, his fear kept him from opening his eyes as he was surrounded by the pack. The second time, he was busy trying to fend off at least one of the attackers. Everyone told him how strong a wolf Aiden was. Could he have taken on something so large and wild? Surely the pair together could have handled it without some magical force helping them, yet Casey had said they would have taken some damage in doing so.

Aiden was around as much as he could be, and when he was not, Casey or another family member stayed with Ethan. It was more for support than anything. Mary thought witnessing the feral attack was taking a toll; this world was still new to him. Her mothering instincts kept her close, and she made sure the younger boys included him in what they did to distract him from his thoughts. They all wanted to help him with his soul searching, but not having a clue what he was going through, there was little anyone could really do.

Tyler stopped by a few times to talk to Ethan. He enjoyed the chance to get to know the blond teen better, and build a new friendship since he found himself cut off after defying Michael. His visits to the Tucker house were always under the watchful eye of a family member, though he was showing himself to be a trustworthy friend. Both Connor and Kevin stopped by to apologize again for their actions after they were released from the jail. They pledged to do better in how they treated people, even if it meant having to find a new pack someday. Like Tyler, they decided a new home would be better than continuing to live under Michael’s paw.

*****

Aiden took his mate out a few times to the pond with the waterfall, and to the stream they had visited. He wanted to see if Ethan could recreate what had happened before. He hoped they could somehow figure out how those droplets of water danced around them, or see if Ethan could create fog. But nothing happened. In Ethan’s mind, this reinforced they were wrong about him, and whatever had happened was due to some other force of nature. Denial seemed like a safe place in his mind. Aiden being able to turn into a wolf was much easier to accept than there being something extraordinary about himself. Even his parents had always told him he was nothing special. The more that nothing happened, the more Ethan convinced himself he was just a normal human, and it was one of the magical wolves that did whatever happened with the water.

******

The morning after the latest encounter with a feral, the alpha asked his old teacher and pack elder, James, to meet with him. “Thanks for coming in.”

“What can an old wolf like me do for you?” The man took the offered seat. “You were rather vague on the phone when you asked me to come over.”

“We had another feral incursion yesterday. A lunis happened to run across Aiden, Casey, and Ethan.”

“Is everyone okay? I hope no one was hurt.” The concern was deep in his voice. “With how unpredictable and strong those things are, it truly is fighting a wild animal. I would think either of those boys should have been able to handle it in their wolf form though. And together they’re a force to be reckoned with.” He fell silent, assessing the possibilities of the encounter. “I’m guessing it scared the hell out of that poor boy to have something like that happen in front of him. He hasn’t exactly had a positive experience learning about us.”

“Fortunately, no one received so much as a scratch.” The alpha sat back as he watched James try to process what he had said.

“No injuries?” His eyes grew wide. “I guess saying those two boys are a strong force is accurate. Did a hunter show up in time or did one of them get a lucky shot and kill it right away?”

“It wasn’t killed by a wolf or a hunter.”

James fell silent, puzzled by what he was hearing. He tried to figure out what his alpha was truly saying. “If it wasn’t killed by a wolf or a hunter, then how?” His mind continued to work and came to the only possible conclusion. “Ethan?”

“It would appear so.”

“So what I thought I saw in his eyes was real?”

“From Aiden’s and Casey’s descriptions of what happened, a thick fog formed and shrouded everyone. It made for a perfect defense. Then the surface of the lake froze. The ice shattered and was used like cannon shells to kill the feral. This is a similar defense to what we believe Ethan used when he was attacked on the bridge. In that case, he drove off five wolves with small particles without doing serious harm to them.”

“Seems we were right in our guess about that young man. It wasn’t just light reflecting off his eyes. So, we have an Elemental in our midst.” James’ tone sounded as if he were saying it was raining outside.

“As I told Ethan, the term Elemental is the easiest name to put to it, though some of those old myths you got me hooked on as a kid also use the terms Shaman and Druid. The genetic tests that were done point to a Celt background, but they also say he’s completely human.” The alpha paused for a moment to collect his thought. “It’s doubtful we’ll ever truly know what he is. If we can do anything to help him find himself I’d like to try.” John ran his fingers along his stubble covered chin. “I need help in going through the myths of all three names and trying to figure what gift each one supposedly has. Might be best to focus on anything pertaining to the control of water. I know we can’t train him, and there’s most likely no one else that can. Any help you can provide in research I’d be grateful. If Elementals exist elsewhere in the world, they obviously keep themselves well hidden, and have done so for millennia. Maybe have a talk with Ethan at some point, and tell him what you know. I’m sure he’ll be enthralled hearing what if anything you learn. You had him spellbound when you told him the history of the lycan. Maybe what you know of Elementals, Shaman, Druids, and anything else that might apply, can be just as helpful to him.”

“I’m happy to help. I’ve stayed in contact with some of my friends from my professor days. I’ll see what I can dig up on the mythology side of things. I’ll use the excuse I’m considering writing a new book.” James studied John, seeing the pain in the eyes of his former star pupil. “I know your father is proud of you and the alpha you’ve become, as well as the father you’ve always been. It’s a shame his injuries in that rogue attack caused him to retire before his time. He did leave us in the hands of a wonderful leader.”

“Thank you, my friend. I know he is, since he mentions it every time we talk. This pack’s continued prosperity is an enduring testament to the legacy my parents left me before moving away. I’m glad they aren’t living here to see firsthand what their grandson’s turned into.”

******

Aiden picked Ethan up from the house, and drove them to Alex and Nathan’s so they could go riding to one of the special spots they enjoyed. Aiden helped saddled the horse before grabbing his backpack. He attempted to help Ethan up, but the horse backed away. It was not that his mate really needed the help at this point, but it was one more excuse to have his pup in his arms. After making a second attempt, Aiden stood glaring at the horse. “Okay, fine. You do it since you don’t want me helping my mate.”

The horse nickered at Aiden before moving alongside Ethan. For the first time, the teen placed his foot in the stirrup, and tried to jump up while grabbing the saddle horn. When he started to slip, the horse swung his head back and held Ethan in place; kneeling to allow him to get his footing. He tried again and got a little push from the horse; it used its head to nudge him into the saddle.

Ethan patted the side of the large animal’s neck, “Thank you,” and wrapped his arms around it giving him a hug.

Aiden, Alex, and Nathan shook their heads. “I’ve never seen him do that with anyone. I know what you guys said about before, but seeing it...” Nathan could not get over the interaction between the horse and Ethan.

Aiden ran his hand over the horse’s face. “Showoff.” This caused the horse to whinny happily like he was laughing at Aiden. He mounted up behind his mate, and took hold of the reins as they rode off. They headed to the stream where the water drops first danced around them. If nothing else, he hoped the ride might help his pup relax.

******

“I know you’ve tried the last few times we’ve been here to get the water to do something. And I know it’s frustrated you nothing’s happened. Let’s try a different way.” He shifted his mate onto his lap so they were facing one another. “Every time it’s happened, there was a strong emotion behind it. Fear of the feral, anger at Michael, the happiness you feel when we make out.” Aiden smiled about the last part.

“What? Are you going to try and scare me by making out with me? Then see if you can get me angry saying I’m crappy at kissing?” Ethan sarcastically joked.

“I guess that’s one idea. Close your eyes and try to clear your thoughts. Listen to the sound of the water flowing around the rocks as it moves out of the pool, and down the stream.” Aiden gave him a few minutes and could see his pup relax. He whispered into Ethan’s ear. “Now, think of that feral stepping out of the woods. Try to remember what you felt when you first saw it, when it charged Casey and me. You need to hide so it can’t see you or find you, but there is no cover nearby.”

Aiden could hear Ethan’s heartbeat quicken at the memory of the feral and smell his fear, but beyond that nothing happened. “It’s staring right at you now, and is beginning to move towards you. You have to find cover.” Ethan’s pulse increased again, his breathing neared panic, and then a small wisp of fog appeared on the surface of the water. It slowly grew into a cloud encircling them. As it increased in size, it became denser by the second, until Aiden could see almost nothing except his mate’s face.

Aiden whispered again. “Try to hold that thought in your head. That you need to stay hidden, and open your eyes.”

The veil of fog thinned slightly but held. For the first time since the incident on the trail, Aiden saw Ethan’s eyes glowing blue. This time he knew it was not a simple reflection or trick of the light, and was amazed by what he saw. He knew his own would flash amber sometimes, but with Ethan, it was a steady glow. It reminded him of what Trevor and Casey said about his eyes when he confronted Chris and Tyler at the pack meeting.

He could not resist leaning in to kiss his mate. As the passion built, the fog around them dissipated as the cloud coalesced into droplets of water. Each one shimmering as before, like a floating diamond. Some cast small rainbows around them as the light and angle changed. As Aiden broke the kiss, Ethan struggled to hold the water in place. With his eyes open, he could at last see the gems hanging in the air. The drops began to rotate around them circling over the pool. One by one, they fell onto the calm surface, sending out rings as if it was raining. As the last drop fell, the glow in Ethan’s eyes faded and they returned to normal.

“You did it, Pup. I’m so proud of you.”

“I could almost feel the water as it changed into fog. And again as it became drops. I’m curious why they form when we’re kissing.”

“I don’t know, but it’s beautiful. When you’re working your magic, your eyes have the most stunning blue glow to them. I’d describe it like how mine flash amber, but with you, it’s steady blue. It’s like looking at two perfect sapphires lit by the sun.”

“Since I finally did it, can we call it enough training for today? It really tires me out.”

“Yeah. At least we have an idea of how you can do it. It just seems to takes a strong emotion.”

Ethan laid down and rested his head on Aiden’s lap. “I guess this really does mean I’m one of those Elemental things. Since nothing happened the other times you’ve had me try, I’d convinced myself you guys were wrong.” He was quiet for a few moments. “I guess that also means I really did kill that wolf.”

“Are you okay with all this?” Aiden’s voice was filled with concern. He brushed his hand gently over his pup’s messy blond hair. “I know your world’s been turned upside down since you met me. And I know it’s been tearing you up that a wolf was killed.”

“Knowing I killed it is hard. But also knowing it could have hurt or killed you makes me realize it might have been necessary.” Ethan reached out, placing his hand on his boyfriend’s chest. “I wouldn’t trade meeting you for anything. And would happily take an upside down world to be with you. For the first time I feel like I belong. I have a purpose in life and there’s hope again.” He stared at the water and let out a breath. “I left Richmond because I didn’t want to die in the city. I figured with my life on the street, it was going to happen sooner or later. If I was going to die, I wanted it to be someplace peaceful like the mountains were.”

“I guess I never even considered you might not have been planning to leave the mountains.” Aiden continued running his fingers through his mate’s hair, relaxing them both further.

“Even though I felt somewhat happy there, I think I was happy I could be alone… Without being alone around a bunch of people who didn’t see me. The sounds of the forest put me at ease, especially hearing the wolves and coyotes at night. I figured after a while of camping there, I’d either try to find someplace new to go to, or end it somehow on my terms. Fortunately, a beautiful black wolf found me and gave me a reason to live.”

“No matter if our pack is just the two of us; you’ll never be alone again.” He laid back, pulled his pup on top of him, and wrapped his large arms around the smaller framed teen. They rested there quietly for a while, enjoying the feel of each other as Ethan finally dozed off.

*****

Aiden let him sleep for a bit, enjoying the small bundle on his chest. When it was time to return, he saddled the horse while Ethan packed up the blanket. They mounted up for the ride back to the farm where they chatted with Alex and Nathan. Ethan enjoyed seeing the two older lycan together, watching how loving they were with each other, and hoping for the same happiness with Aiden. On the drive home, Ethan realized a significant date was approaching.

“Since it’s almost the 4th of July, does anything go on around here for that?”

“You’ll just have to wait and see.”

******

With the exception of Rafe who recused himself, the pack council convened a closed tribunal to discuss the issue of Michael and Chris. They reviewed the transcripts from the five interviews which had all reports of Ethan’s defense omitted. The most damaging was Michael’s own admission if he had the chance, he would have killed Ethan, and he had gone after him to destabilize Aiden. They also had the report from when Michael bit Ethan, and the attack from Chris and Tyler. There were additional interviews with younger members of the pack who felt intimidated and threatened by Michael and Chris, or had been assaulted by the pair.

“If this were a pack trial, he defied a direct order from the alpha.” One of the council members opened with.

“What do you mean, if this were a pack trial? It seems to me that is exactly what this is. Since the alpha ordered a tribunal to review the case. The question for me is; do we really want to pass judgment on the heir apparent?”

“He used his position as the son of the alpha to coerce those he could into acting with him. If two of those boys were being completely honest, they were afraid of Michael. Both in the present around him, and of what could or would happen to them if he becomes alpha and they defied him,” stated another.

“Gentlemen.” The lone female on the council spoke upan elderly she-wolf of around 80 years. “If this was any other wolf, we would already be discussing two possible sentences for his crimes. He bit a human once, and attempted to bite him a second time. He arranged more than one attack on someone under the personal protection of the alpha. He personally led an attack with four other wolves on that same human. By his own admission, his intention during the attack was to rape and murder said human.” She took a moment to look around at her colleagues. “The orders from our alpha are to disregard the fact it’s his son. To make a recommendation based on the crimes and existing pack law. Since one of those options is not a decision we can take lightly, without I feel causing harm to our alpha, that leaves us with but one choice for the sake of the pack and to uphold our laws.”

“You may no longer be a county judge Helen, but you still sound like one. She’s right of course. Would we be out of line asking to speak with Michael? Dan, as beta what is your view on that?”

Dan glanced at Helen, receiving a nod of her legal approval. “It falls within the purview of this council to question him or anyone else involved if needed to reach a decision. Can I have a show of hands for who wishes to question Michael?”

Five out of the six members of the council raised their hand.

Dan picked up the phone. “This is Sheriff Forester. Have Michael escorted to the council chambers. Be sure to use wrist and ankle cuffs on him as well as the collar. In case he makes an attempt to go wolf and escape.”

About ten minutes later, Deputy Montgomery escorted a heavily bound Michael into the council chamber. He sneered defiantly before being placed in a chair in front of the council members.

Dan stood before the prisoner, his arms crossed, and a frown of disgust etched on his face. “Michael, you’ve been brought before this tribunal due to your actions over the last few months with regards to Ethan Scott.”

“What authority does this council have to convene a tribunal? Let alone interrogate the future alpha of this pack.” Michael’s arrogance was on full display.

Helen narrowed her eyes at him. “Under the authority of the alpha. And existing pack law handed down since your triple great grandfather founded this pack, and created its first council.”

“You have two choices here. You answer our questions honestly or you don’t. Regardless, we will be making a decision with or without your participation, based on the available evidence.” A smirk spread across Dan’s face. “We already have testimony from your co-conspirators in addition to several of your pack mates you decided to assault.”

Leaning forward and steepling her fingers, Helen proceeded. “During your interview following the incident at the Pine Creek Bridge, you indicated if given the chance that day you would have killed Ethan. What reason could you have to try and justify that action?”

Michael held a steely stare. “I’m sorry. I don’t recall saying that.”

“Perhaps if we played the audio tape for you it would refresh your memory? How about why did you attack him on the bridge in the first place?” She pushed.

“Human’s aren’t supposed to know about us. Aiden brought him here, and exposed us all to danger if he goes running off. He could try to blackmail us by threatening to tell other humans about us. Aiden should be the one punished for putting us in danger. No one else was willing to step in to stop him. As the future alpha, I felt I had to.”

“Yes, you’re very familiar with the subject of blackmail. Although secrecy is very important to us and protects us from most humans, there are a good number who do know about us and work with or for the pack. Some of our hunters are even human.” Helen pressed.

“They’re not outsiders. This stray is. Everything I did was to protect my pack as anyone that will become an alpha should do.”

“It didn’t mean anything that the current alpha, your alpha, your father, welcomed him here as a guest and extended his protection to Ethan?” Dan paced between the council and the prisoner.

“He has a soft spot for strays. Just like how he allows non-wolf shifters and nomads to settle in our territory. Sometimes a stray needs to be put down for the benefit or protection of all. No different than putting down a pet. Humans are little more. We put down ferals because they’re dangerous, and they’re our own kind.” Michael smirked happily at his response.

“Since Ethan came here, he’s been hard-working. Doing what he can to learn our ways, and preparing for when he can make a decision about being turned. You seemed particularly upset a homeless, gay human found a true mate with one of our wolves, particularly Aiden.” Dan ceased his pacing and turned to Michael.

“There’s never been a wolf human mating, straight or gay, in the history of this pack. It shouldn’t be allowed now. Least of all with some faggy, homeless human. We’d have done it a favor if we’d killed it in the forest to end the miserable life it was living.”

Helen took over from Dan as the others watched the exchange. “And what of the statements that you and your friends intended to rape Ethan at the bridge?”

“He’s a fag. They get off on that kind of stuff. Especially when a group of big, strong jocks like me gets rough with them. Besides, any port in a storm and you can’t knock up a fag.” Michael voice had a flat tone as he sneered evilly.

Helen glanced around at her colleagues who could not believe what Michael had said.

A quieter council member leaned forward, placed his elbows on his knees, and rested his chin on his hands. “And do you feel any of the same sex couples, wolf, non-wolf, or human living in the territory should be treated in the same way? Raped for your amusement and possibly killed for having the audacity to exist? Or is your hatred just for this one particular human who’s the mate of your biggest rival?”

Michael shrugged, the smirk never leaving his face. “I’d be doing them a favor by giving it to them. As the top of the food chain, we should take what we please.”

“So the only way you can see yourself becoming alpha is by killing the true mate of Aiden. You were obviously hoping it drove him feral with the grief over the loss of his mate. Thereby eliminating a stronger wolf you would never have a chance of beating in a fair challenge for leadership. That about sum it up for you?” Helen who rarely let a defendant anger her was practically growling. She took a breath before a smirk appeared at the corner of her lips. “Yes, I can see how a coward like you would choose that option over one where Aiden would most definitely kill you in the challenge without even breaking a sweat.”

Michael’s smug grin turned to anger, but he kept his mouth shut for once.

Helen cleared her throat. “Unless someone else would like to ask anything, I don’t believe there will be any need for further questions for this sniveling little prick.”

Seeing no others wanting to ask anything, Dan nodded to the deputy, who returned Michael to jail. One by one the council members spoke.

“Whatever decision we make could end up destroying the alpha. Do we really want to do that?”

“The alpha directed us to make a decision and show no special treatment. Unlike a lot of packs, this one has a council to assist our alpha, and at times make decisions on issues important to us all. If you can’t do that, I would suggest you resign your seat for someone willing to do the work. Because I see this as one of the most important decisions this council, or any in Parker Valley’s history, has faced. Do we really want to take a chance that psycho we just had in here becomes our alpha someday? You realize if it happens in our lifetime, we will be watching the destruction of our home.”

“Careful, Tom. Whatever he is, he is still the alpha’s son.”

“I hate to say it, but pack law seems pretty clear on this, regardless of who he is. Helen? Dan?”

“I would have to agree. Our choices are limited. We are still left with the same two options as when we started.” Helen stood to get water, offering some to her colleagues. “Are two wolves going to be exiled or put down?”

“Can’t we stick him in a council prison for the rest of his life and be done with him? We did send that boy, Robert, off for six months.”

“You know life sentences aren’t allowed. Besides, I would think that would be worse for the alpha pair than having him dead. Exile might be risky too.”

Dan understood the high emotions his colleagues felt, but tried to keep them on track for their duties. “Okay, that went far worse than I expected. And I had to sit through his interrogation. Helen, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you upset. Let alone call someone a sniveling little prick. I suggest we interview Chris since this affects his fate as well. We should also speak with the people who came forward with accusations against Michael. After that, a secret vote on exile or execution. Unless it’s unanimous, there’s no need for anyone to know who possibly votes to put either of them down. Helen and I will present our decision to the alpha with the evidence, after the 4th of July weekend.”

******

“I just don’t get why non-wolf shifters aren’t included in pack events. I mean you’re all lycan. I’m human still and I’m allowed to go to pack stuff. Why are you guys treated differently?” Ethan crossed his arms in frustration.

“It’s kind of complicated, Ethan.” Nathan tried to explain. “Wolves are territorial, social animals so they tend to build up into communities. Just by nature, those packs tend to exclude anyone who’s not a wolf. Tigers and bears tend to be more solitary animals and don’t need a pack, although there are places that have large clans of bears in a community like a pack. I won’t say it wouldn’t be nice to be around a group of shifters more than we are, but we don’t mind how things are.”

Alex glanced at his mate before shifting his gaze to the young man. “It’s how things have always been, Ethan.”

“I can see his point though. On a whole, the pack would possibly be stronger. But like you said, it’s how things have always been.” Aiden rubbed his mate’s back trying to soothe his frustration.

Ethan rolled his eyes. “Just because it’s always been that way doesn’t make it right. I guess I can see the territory thing. I just think it would be cool when I’m turned to see wolves, bears, and tigers running side by side. You guys are cool, and I like getting to come out here to see you. It would be cool having you at the pack stuff too. I hate knowing my friends are excluded.”

“We’ve got to head back. Good seeing you guys. We’ll probably be back in a couple days.” Aiden shook hands with the two men.

Alex pulled Ethan into a hug. “Even if things don’t change, just the fact you think they should makes me feel good. Thank you.”

Nathan gave him a hug before they got in Aiden’s Jeep and headed home.

******

The 4th of July finally arrived. Ethan was curious to find out how it was celebrated in a wolf pack or even if it was. He figured they would do something since, even though they weren’t human, they were still part of the country. At times, he still had a hard time wrapping his head around the two worlds, and where his newly found identity placed him.

After showering and getting dressed, he wandered downstairs to grab a bowl of cereal. Mary was packing things into boxes and picnic baskets, and Rafe was outside filling coolers of water and soda with ice.

“What’s all this?” Ethan waved his hand at all the work going on.

“You’re in for a treat today. I’m not going to spoil the surprise for you though.” She continued to load things up.

Aiden showed up about a half hour later. “Morning, Pup.”

“So… I’m guessing we’re all going someplace?”

“Yup. That we are. Bring something you don’t mind getting wet in.” Aiden saw the mischievous grin forming on Ethan’s face, and had to chuckle knowing what his pup was thinking. “I mean something for swimming.” He clarified. “Though if we can find someplace private, maybe that too.”

Zach, Ryan, and Jack raced into the kitchen, and quickly wolfed down their cereal, before heading outside to help their dad.

Rafe poked his head inside and looked at everything Mary had boxed up before joking. “Are you sure there is going to be room in the truck for us?”

“You hush and get everything loaded so we can head out.”

“Yes, dear.”

Once everything was in the truck, and with a few boxes getting placed in Aiden’s Jeep, everyone headed out. Ethan noticed a large barbeque trailer behind Rafe’s truck.

As they drove, Ethan began to recognize some of the roads and scenery, and finally realized they were heading for the lake.

It was almost 11:00 a.m. when they arrived. Tents and pop-ups were being set up for shade and people were claiming areas for their families. There was a banner over the entrance to the parking area reading “78th Annual Parker Valley 4th of July Festival”.

Aiden took his mate’s hand. “This event’s for all the surrounding towns so it’s a mix of everyone. Pack, humans, and other shifters will be here. Basically anyone who wants to shows up.”

Ethan nodded, understanding he shouldn’t make pack specific comments.

Trevor arrived shortly after, and parked his car next to Aiden’s Jeepster. A few minutes after that, Casey pulled up and took the opposite side.

“Hey, Trev. Good to see you made it.” Casey waved.

Trevor bumped fists with Aiden, then Casey, and finally Ethan. “You think I’d stay in the big city and miss all this? Oh, hell no!”

“Well, we know you’re getting ready to head off on that last vacation with the family.” Aiden joked.

Trevor and Casey took their normal flanking positions as they walked over to the family’s truck to help setup the tent next to it. Once done, Rafe and Joe got the barbeque ready to fire up.

The four walked around for a while. The area where Rafe and Mary were was setup almost like a carnival midway with games and lots of food. There was a stage at one end with local bands busy checking their equipment to provide entertainment.

Ethan’s excitement was evident to his friends. “This is amazing. I can’t believe everything going on here. For someplace this quiet, they put on a huge festival.”

Once the event was in full swing, they walked around and all tried a few of the games. No surprise Aiden won every time he played, and happily handed his prize to his mate. Casey and Trevor also did well. Ethan did okay, but nowhere near what the others did. The alpha took the stage with Jackie at his side, and gave a speech welcoming everyone to the event. He was followed by speeches from other town mayors and county commissioners.

As the afternoon wore on, they went swimming to cool off. They ran into ran into Nathan and Alex, Tyler, and several more people Ethan had a hard time remembering names for. It was a fun day and it seemed like the food never stopped. Rafe, Joe, Mary, Jackie, and a few others traded off cooking at the grill as fast as people bought it. When things started to get dark, bonfires were lit to provide light, as people enjoyed the festival. Trevor said goodnight to everyone as he took off for a date with some lucky lady.

Aiden took his mate’s hand and walked down towards the water to sit. A few minutes later, from a barge in the middle of the lake, the first firework of the night shot into the air with a boom. Ethan leaned back into Aiden as they watched the display light up the sky. The fireworks went on for close to half an hour before ending in a massive finale.

Once the light show was finished, Aiden guided Ethan back to the parking lot. There were a few people around, but most were still at the festival. Aiden turned on the radio, and taking Ethan’s hand, they started dancing. Their eyes were locked on one another as they moved to the music. He spun his pup around, held him close, and almost never broke eye contact with him. They danced as song after song played. Ethan was captivated by the intensity of Aiden’s eyes, not realizing his mate thought the same of his own. When they finally finished dancing, Aiden put his forehead against his mate’s.

Still gazing into his eyes, Aiden quoted different lines from the music they’d been dancing to. “You are so beautiful, Pup. You never need to be afraid. I will always do my best to keep you grounded no matter what life throws at us. The fire in my eyes is because of you. Without you there would be no light.”

A solitary tear of happiness ran down his face. “Aiden, I’m ready...”

Running with the Pack, WolfM, 2012-2016, All Rights Reserved
  • Like 91
  • Love 66
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I am looking forward to find out what the council decided about Michael. Hopefully they will put him down, if they don't I am afraid Ethan or Aidan will. I am looking forward to the next chapter. Please don't make us wait too long.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I don't think exile will keep Michael away, but the point may be moot. IMHO, he'll be dead one way or the other by the end of the story, anyway. I'm excited to see what happens when Ethan is changed. I eagerly await the next chapter.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 12/15/2015 12:12 PM, TylorD43 said:

I am looking forward to find out what the council decided about Michael. Hopefully they will put him down, if they don't I am afraid Ethan or Aidan will. I am looking forward to the next chapter. Please don't make us wait too long.

Thanks Tylor. You'll have your answer soon ;)

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 12/15/2015 12:33 PM, avidreadr said:

I don't think exile will keep Michael away, but the point may be moot. IMHO, he'll be dead one way or the other by the end of the story, anyway. I'm excited to see what happens when Ethan is changed. I eagerly await the next chapter.

Thank you Avid.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 12/15/2015 01:31 PM, centexhairysub said:

Another great chapter, the pacing and writing just keeps getting better and better. I have really enjoyed the flow of this story.

 

Michael's own words and behavior has doomed him in the eyes of the council. Not sure what the Alpha will ultimately decide but only Michael's death will really end his attempts to become the next Alpha and I think it is obvious to all that no one things that is a good idea. Exile will only allow the anger and resentment in Michael to grow and fester.

 

I wonder if the James, the elder that the Alpha asked to help research, will be able to find out what Ethan is for sure and if there are any more like him. I also wonder what the other packs are going to think when it comes out about his abilities.

 

Can't wait to see where you take us next...

Thank you Centex. I should have the next chapter out later in the week.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A wonderful chapter, Wolf! Ethan will make a great addition to the pack with his views on including the other shifters as much as possible...maintaining some things just for the wolves is necessary, but they are part of a community, as we see at the 4th of July festival...it will make them stronger to include the other shifters as part of it.
I know the Alpha has kept his views to himself, so it is no surprise that the Council wonders about their decision, but he has directed them to disregard Michael's status, so that must be the way forward. He knows that an Alpha is not always going to be the son of the current one--what takes priority for a good leader is the welfare of the community, not his personal feelings. He sees now what his son is, and will make the right choice to have Michael put down, I think, though it may hurt his heart to do it. There is no option considering the way Michael's head is so twisted.
I wonder if Ethan's wolf will be as special as his human form--will it have a blue tinge to its fur? :)
More please!!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 12/16/2015 09:17 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

A wonderful chapter, Wolf! Ethan will make a great addition to the pack with his views on including the other shifters as much as possible...maintaining some things just for the wolves is necessary, but they are part of a community, as we see at the 4th of July festival...it will make them stronger to include the other shifters as part of it.

I know the Alpha has kept his views to himself, so it is no surprise that the Council wonders about their decision, but he has directed them to disregard Michael's status, so that must be the way forward. He knows that an Alpha is not always going to be the son of the current one--what takes priority for a good leader is the welfare of the community, not his personal feelings. He sees now what his son is, and will make the right choice to have Michael put down, I think, though it may hurt his heart to do it. There is no option considering the way Michael's head is so twisted.

I wonder if Ethan's wolf will be as special as his human form--will it have a blue tinge to its fur? :)

More please!!

Thanks CG. Diversity brings strength and ties the community together.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

There's a real power to the imagery of the fog, coalescing into sparkling diamonds as they circle about Aiden and Ethan's makes out sessions plus Ethan's bright sapphires. Very cool.

Then onto Michael's hearing. That guy just doesn't get it and isnt going to be stopped by anything. They cant hand out life sentences so its exile or execution. Unfortunately, it looks like they will settle for exile and that could be a critical mistake. Michael is a schemer and will come back with an army making them regret not executing him.

And the 4th of July may be famous for its celebration of Independence but for Ethan and Aiden it's the exact opposite as Ethan calls time on his independence and seeks to tie the knot. 

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
12 hours ago, Bard Simpson said:

There's a real power to the imagery of the fog, coalescing into sparkling diamonds as they circle about Aiden and Ethan's makes out sessions plus Ethan's bright sapphires. Very cool.

Then onto Michael's hearing. That guy just doesn't get it and isnt going to be stopped by anything. They cant hand out life sentences so its exile or execution. Unfortunately, it looks like they will settle for exile and that could be a critical mistake. Michael is a schemer and will come back with an army making them regret not executing him.

And the 4th of July may be famous for its celebration of Independence but for Ethan and Aiden it's the exact opposite as Ethan calls time on his independence and seeks to tie the knot. 

That is the moment Ethan finally believes what the alpha told him. Without his mate to guide him, he would never have accepted the truth because he would not have tried to find it. Even being still so new to the relationship and his new life, the water changing to the droplets is an expression of love he would have never thought possible a short time ago.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

What a way to end the chapter. I love how Ethan thinks about other shifters being left out, it really shows is caring nature also I love that there are bear shifters. Gotta find a story about them

  • Like 5
Link to comment
4 hours ago, bearbtm said:

What a way to end the chapter. I love how Ethan thinks about other shifters being left out, it really shows is caring nature also I love that there are bear shifters. Gotta find a story about them

Thank you, Bear. When you've been excluded from things, you pay more attention to when others are as well.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

So all it takes is some fireworks to inspire Ethan to make Aiden his mate. :gikkle:

The tribunal has a very tough decision to make.  Either way the Alpha and Luna will be hurt.  I can accept exile, but don't believe for a minute that exile will take Michael out of the picture.  Michael will find out some way to get revenge on all he thinks have hurt him.  Looking forward to what happens when Aiden and Ethan finally be come mated.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 4/17/2022 at 2:52 AM, raven1 said:

So all it takes is some fireworks to inspire Ethan to make Aiden his mate. :gikkle:

The tribunal has a very tough decision to make.  Either way the Alpha and Luna will be hurt.  I can accept exile, but don't believe for a minute that exile will take Michael out of the picture.  Michael will find out some way to get revenge on all he thinks have hurt him.  Looking forward to what happens when Aiden and Ethan finally be come mated.

But is he ready to make? ;)

  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Link to comment
On 4/17/2022 at 3:52 AM, raven1 said:

So all it takes is some fireworks to inspire Ethan to make Aiden his mate. :gikkle:

Hmm, don't fireworks and true-love go hand-in-hand?

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Al Norris said:

Hmm, don't fireworks and true-love go hand-in-hand?

Pretty sure they're going to make their own fireworks with lots of things exploding.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Albert1434 said:

This story is so much fun I hope it never ends, though I know it must:heart::heart:

Thank you. :)  Well, you do have another thirty plus chapters to go, plus three full books and one that's being posted to weekly to continue the adventures.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 11/17/2023 at 3:49 PM, Ajbt2001 said:

Aiden and Ethan are an amazing couple with such great people to support them through life and it's struggles. 

You keep making me smile. Thank you, Ajbt. :)

  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 12/14/2015 at 7:31 PM, centexhairysub said:

Not sure what the Alpha will ultimately decide but only Michael's death will really end his attempts to become the next Alpha and I think it is obvious to all that no one things that is a good idea. Exile will only allow the anger and resentment in Michael to grow and fester.

Michael will never be Alpha. Not as long as Aiden is alive. He has vowed to challenge Michael to the death, should it ever happen.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 12/7/2023 at 12:16 PM, Al Norris said:

Michael will never be Alpha. Not as long as Aiden is alive. He has vowed to challenge Michael to the death, should it ever happen.

Aiden is good at long-term planning. :)

  • Love 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..