The Twilight Saga - New Moon

I'm not a Twilight fan but the publicity campaign rolling out this movie is wild. They say that (wink, wink) the casting direction was to develop the fan base of girls 25 and under. But what I'm seeing is one of the most blantant homoerotic PR launches in quite a while. Cracks me up. While Robert Pattison is a little too exotic for me, Taylor Lautner and Kellan Lutz fit the bill quite well. Go vampires!

Did anyone see Ellen yesterday and Kellan Lutz doing pushups in lieu of taking off his shirt?

post-2978-125864435336.jpg

post-2978-125864436746.jpg

post-2978-125864438181.jpg

• Site Administrator

If he was naked in the movie 40% of the time, this would probably set new heights in sales. lol.

I hate almost everything about Twilight. It was written by a teenager (which shows). It's about vampires who SPARKLE for Gods sake. The angst is excruciating, the acting in the films is apalling and as for Robert Pattison or whatever his name is... they may as well have used a cardboard cut out. He isn't even good looking...he's werid looking and sometimes downright ugly.

I will give New Moon one thing... the way the werewolved morph is awesome. And that's it... although I have to admit that Jacob is a lot more three dimensional and cuter than Edward... in the book and the film.

Other than that I hate it, I hate everything about it.

I have NO idea why it has become so popular because there are so very many vampire books out there that are better written with better characters, plots and possibilities.

Did I mention I hate it.

• Like 3

I hate almost everything about Twilight. It was written by a teenager (which shows). It's about vampires who SPARKLE for Gods sake. The angst is excruciating, the acting in the films is apalling and as for Robert Pattison or whatever his name is... they may as well have used a cardboard cut out. He isn't even good looking...he's werid looking and sometimes downright ugly.

I will give New Moon one thing... the way the werewolved morph is awesome. And that's it... although I have to admit that Jacob is a lot more three dimensional and cuter than Edward... in the book and the film.

Other than that I hate it, I hate everything about it.

I have NO idea why it has become so popular because there are so very many vampire books out there that are better written with better characters, plots and possibilities.

Did I mention I hate it.

I actually really like Twilight (have only read the first two books so far). It's not the best thing I've ever read, and it's not going to inspire me with any life-changing ideas, but it's readable and entertaining. The funny thing is that I usually don't like vampire tv shows and books. Friends tried and tried to get me to watch Moonlight when it was on tv and I just couldn't get into it. I think Twilight just seems lighter to me somehow. I don't like really dark material.

Maybe that's the key - it's so far from the typical vampire story that it attracts new readers / viewers but doesn't appeal to those who normally like the genre? Just a theory.

And BTW I don't get the appeal of Robert Pattison either!

Edited by jenni

Before you rail on something, it would be nice if you got your facts straight... Stephanie Myer, is not a teenager, was not a teenager when she wrote the first book. Also, I know plenty of teenagers here on GA (I believe you edit for some of them) who write rather well. Certainly you are not saying that just because they are a teenager their stories are not developed, complicated, or whatever you were inferring by your "it shows" statement.

I don't particularity care for the twilight series; I find the bulk of what I have seen, or heard, about it contrived (but then what isn't anymore)

What I really dislike about your post is how vehemently you attack something that is just meant to be entertaining. Much like those awful christian zealots who panned Harry Potter for its supposed "pagan teachings".

Get over it. Get over yourself. Let people be entertained and pan the process in your mind.

Or if you absolutely have to, well at least arm yourself with facts. That way you could be at least be taken somewhat seriously.

Me, taken seriously? Perish the thought :)wub.gif

I hold up my hands and admit I got my facts wrong... should have checked before I started... hell I should have checked them long ago... know thy enemy eh?

What I dislike about your post is that it seems to imply that it is fine to rant on for hours about how much you love somthing, no matter how much of a load of drivel it is but it is not okay to say how much you hate something... It's an opinion, it's mine and I am going to express it if I please.

The books were put out in the public domain... so were the films... to be loved or hated, to stand or fall. They are 'supposed' to be entertainment but they don't entertain me and I have as much right to say so as the fans who drool over them.

And if you think that was a vehement attack then you certainly didn't notice the bulge in my cheek :)

• Like 2

I agree with Nephy on this one; twilight sucks. I mean, I saw the first part of the movie and just had to leave, way too "teen girl". The girl Bella (is that her name?) isn't even that cute :P

Come on, let's talk about how much it sucks :boy:

• Like 1

The first movie was unintentionally funny, so I might watch the new one. But I won't pay for it. It's not that funny. But the horrible story, acting, script, directing, art... Pretty much everything made me chuckle. I can't for the life of me understand how someone over the age of 15 could find these awful "books" and movies actually good. But to each their own, I guess.

Everyone in Twilight are ugly imo. But that's probably because of their poor acting skills and how unlikable all the characters and actors are. I used to find Kellan Lutz hot until he joined the cast of this.

• Like 1

Hey if you want to spread the hate that's your thing

then again you could have just ignored this thread altogether, but instead you chose to come in and tell everyone how dumb and horrible and whatever the Twilight Series is.

What was that law of three again? Whatever you put out comes back on you three-fold? I think that was it. You can correct me if I am wrong

You are almost right... it's call the law of rebound and generally things come back threefold although in some traditions it is tenfold. It's also called the ripple in the pond phenomenon... your action is the stone thrown in the pond and the consequences are the ripples that flow out and then back. The thing is that the reaction is a cumulative effect and it's an over simplification to say that every action comes back on you... it interacts and is either amplified or nullified by other acts. As I figure I am better than evens with Karma right now so I won't be scared. And as my little bit of venom is diluted in the vast oceans of Twilight hysteria I am even less concerned.

I have an opinion. I have as much right to express it as those countless hysterical fans who express undying love for Edward, Jacob or whoever... I still hate Twilight. The books are still trite... the acting is still bad and the whole experience is still nauseating.

• Like 1

You hate Twilight... You hate the way Americans celebrate Halloween (it's your holiday remember?) Dunno there is alot of hate swirling around you and like I said that's fine. Whatever.

And yeah you have an opinion, and yeah you have a right to express it. I'm not knocking you for having an opinion. I'm knocking you for posting expressly to say you hate something you don't even know about. Oh wait you know they sparkle and new moon apparently has a good werewolf morph.

The only thing I hate, Dear, is ignorance.

The rest... eh life is too short to hate much. I dislike a lot, but when I dislike it I move on. After all it isn't my goal in life to piss on people parade. if they like something and want to go crazy and scream and camp outside for a week leading up to it. So be it that's their god given right as well. They also have a right to be free from persecution over it.

PS they are giving all the negatives to me... LOL childish tongue.gif I guess if you cant fight a valid point with words or god forbid logic you push a button and run away. Like I said. you guys win at life. Congrats

I don't hate... not really. I suppose it's my fault for using that word... I suppose... get intensely irriated by would be better.

Thank you for brining me up on that one... I hadn't really thought about it before. Hate is a word that is bandied about almost as casually as love but it's done without really thinking about what it means.

I don't HATE Twilight...I don't care about it enough to hate it.

I don't HATE the way that the Americans celbrate Halloween.

In fact I don't actually HATE anything or anyone at all... I have only ever done that once.

Words are powerful and we should be careful how we use them. Thanks for making me think about this.wub.gif I shall be more careful in future....although of course I probably won't, having the memory of a goldfish.lmaosmiley.gif

At least I am thinking about it now though... which is good good.

• Like 1

If he was naked in the movie 40% of the time, this would probably set new heights in sales. lol.

We can only wish, but there's enough shirtless, want to kill for those guns, and wild guys in the promos to make me want to see. The books were okay, but I have a thing for werewolves versus vampires. The blood sucking sexual seduction thing is fine for some, but I want me a strong, virile, and hormone driven werewolf, who enjoys getting naked every so often. :P

Neither the movies nor the books are technically good, but I find it ironic that there is so much negativity especially on this forum towards this franchise (As everyone seems oddly unaware of what the fandom is sponsoring). What do you think those straight girls would say about all the coming-out gay fiction on the internet?

The merit of the 'Twilight' franchise isn't that the books are well-written, that the subject matter is groundbreaking, nor that the acting in the movies is great. The amazing thing about it all is its mass appeal. Just like coming out stories are particularly popular among gay teenagers (I'm not excluding the odd geriatric or the awesome straight girl/mom, so please don't flame me!), so is Twilight with the female audience. The various reasons for this appeal are what make 'Twilight' such a phenomenon.

Also, I don't think anything in twilight is homoerotic. In fact, if it ever got to that point, Stephenie Meyer would probably have production stop. She is Mormon. The fact that there is absolutely no allusion to homosexuality in her books supports what many believe is a homophobic sentiment that stems from her religious beliefs. (Just an FYI, if you bought the books, you're pretty much sponsoring the LDS church :P)

Maddy (:

• Like 1

The Twilight books aren't "bad", really. If you actually take the time to read them, you'll realize that Stephanie Meyer's writing skills aren't terrible. Her use of language is complex, given that it was directed to teenage girls (definitely better than say, Harry Potter), and her characterization is arguably good. Even if you don't like the plot, or the material, or whatever, the books aren't majorly flawed.

Well, MOST of the books aren't majorly flawed...

I think the reason why there is so much negativity about Twilight is because of the irritatingly, massive amount of media overexposure it's receiving, not because of the books themselves : ). C'mon guys they're only fangirls, you can fight them off if you've got a sizable gun...