Prompt #243 - First Line

Prompt 243

“I never make a promise I don’t intend to keep. You know that!”

“I didn't think you would stop talking to me over this! It was a misunderstanding!”

“No, a misunderstanding is handled by talking to the other person. You spread gossip, all of which was untrue, and you hurt my reputation in the business. I have had 4 clients call and cancel already this morning and you just spout that shit last night! How are people supposed to trust me when you have them convinced I don’t give a shit about anything but making money?”

“I never intended for that to happen. I just thought that if you were not as busy all the time maybe we could, you know…get to know each other better.”

“I don’t think that is much of an option at this point.”

Tyler turned away and tried to control the emotions welling up inside him. He could feel his chances with Lucas slipping away quickly, all because of an ill thought out plan to try and win his mom over. Danielle was right; he should have just invited her out to lunch or something.

“Where did I ever get this not so bright idea?” he thought.  If it was possible he would kick himself in the pants. “Luke would never forgive me if he finds out.”

Tyler took a deep breath and turned back to the hopping mad woman.

“Dani?  Please?  Let me explain. I never wanted to really hurt the business. I just thought that if you were not busy this weekend you could go up to the lake with Luke and me. We could all relax and you and I could get to know each other better. I really care about Luke, so it’s important that you and I at least get along.  I've seen friends whose parents dislike their choice in partners. It always turns nasty.”

“And you thought a perfect way to get on my good side was to sabotage the business that I have spent the last three years building up out of nothing but a dream?” Danielle slammed her hand down on the kitchen island hard, making everything on it dance about a bit. It was a measure of just how irritated she was. She never lost it like that.

“Do you understand what it is to have to scratch and claw your way into a close knit community market like this one?  You have to not only have the skills; you have to build trust with customers. If they don’t trust you they will never give you their business. And more importantly they will never recommend you to anyone else. Word of mouth is the biggest factor in this business. It can make or break you!  And you effectively wiped out my bookings for the next month with your little comment last night.”

“I realize that now. I honestly didn't think it would balloon the way it has. When I heard you talking to that guy about taking a job for this Saturday I saw all our plans for the lake going out the window. I know Luke hadn't told you about us going up there yet¸ or asked you to join us, but I just had to do something before you committed.  I really didn't think he would call around and tell everyone what I said.”

“Yeah, well you picked a hell of a customer to say that to. Telephone, Telegraph, Tell Tom. Now everyone thinks I will put off safety repairs in favor of one extra job! How the hell can they trust me with their animals under those conditions?  And let’s not even think about what could happen if one of those well-meaning idiots that would have been included in the gossip loop decides to call the ATC1 cops or my insurance agency!”

“Would that really become an issue? Worst case someone inspects you and you pass. I know you really do take good care of your equipment.”

“You don’t understand, do you?  The ATC are basically thugs with guns, no real training, and no hard and fast guidelines to go by. What one guy would pass another that has an attitude on would fail, and most of them have no real understanding on the business. When I first was researching the business I had a lieutenant at the local state police barracks tell me if one of those guys ever pull me over to dial 911 and have a real cop sent immediately and not to get out of the truck or agree to an inspection till the real thing gets there. To get put on their watch list would destroy the business.”

“Shit, I didn't know that!”

Dani sighed and shook herself. She was getting more and more frustrated as this conversation progressed. She really didn't want to be on bad terms with Luke’s choice in boyfriends but right now she seriously wanted to turn Ty  over her knee, and then shake some sense into Luke.

“OK – what is done is done. I have some serious damage control to tend to. You however have a few things to look at as well. I promised you last night after your little speech that I would make your life miserable if your words came back to haunt me. I never make a promise I don’t intend to keep. Give me one good reason…”

1.       The ATC is a fictional control agency based on portions of various agencies that do exist. The advice given by the state trooper was real.

• Like 1

"I never make a promise that I don't intend to keep." 

It took me a moment, but the fact that she was talking to me was slowly sinking in.

"And I promised you I wouldn't leave."

I looked down and tried to hide the pain in my eyes.

"So please, I'm begging you...take me back."

I could imagine her there, standing with the fire in her eyes and the sun gleaming off her golden hair, the porcelain skin of her beautiful figure hinting at the playfulness and desire puttering about in her steadily beating heart. She was radiant, more so than the sun, and many have viewed her since as a child of that essential celestial body, but I knew different. They all thought she was the Sun's daughter. I knew she was nothing more than an unfortunate accident with a meteor and a misplaced ball of gas floating in the atmosphere. But still...

Her amber eyes burned into the back of my neck. I could feel them on me and it was all I could do not to turn around and beg her to return. She might not have had the purest of heritage, but she still was the woman who'd swayed me over so many times, and I couldn't turn her away for something so small, right?

Wrong. 

I spun on her just as she lifted a hand to press it to the trembling curve of my shoulder. With a startled yep, she leaped back, her eyes flaring white from their sunflower yellow normalcy. She knew my ferocity. She knew when to take a step back. "You're a liar," I spat, my own eyes flaring just as blindingly colorless as hers. Were I to look in a mirror, I could see myself as her, but for now we were both struggling for our own appearances. "You promise things you cannot follow through with. You're a liar, and a cheat, and you don't deserve to be in this solar system at all."

I watched as her entire figure wilted, and a piece of me died alongside it. "You don't mean that," she croaked. "You can't..."

"But I can." I spun on my heel again and slammed through the doors, the only reminder of our exchange the echoes the closing gateway caused. 

• 1 year later...