Prompt #295 - First Line

Braving Life

"I think I finally have the answer."

"That's good.  Wait a minute.  Answer to what?"  Jo Ann turned to look at Cassie who was sitting cross-legged in front of the fire nursing a drink.  The two of them had the first afternoon alone since the holidays.  KC was out exchanging some of his Christmas gifts.  Some of his family would freak if they caught him exchanging silk boxers for lacey bras and panties.  His brother in law bought him a pair of ostrich cowboy boots, and he had exchanged them for three pair of stilettos.

Cassie turned to look at Jo Ann who sat on the couch thumbing through a cookbook, looking for a new dessert to have for dinner the next night when Sly and Zombie were coming to eat and help plan a Valentine's party.  "You know the house Sly's parents bought her for Christmas has two guestrooms.  Maybe she will let KC move in with her for awhile.  Then, while he's living there, we'll start fixing him up with other people, he'll find someone, move in with them, and no more having to have a sock in my mouth when we are in bed.  I'm such a genius."  Sighing contentedly, Cassie waited for Jo Ann's reaction.

"I thought the two of you made a New Year's resolution to try and get along better, and treat each other nicer." 

"Well, this is being nice.  KC needs more space.  Sly has more room, and I'll help him move.  See.  I'm being nice."

"Cass, what's the real issue with KC?  You've acted strange since Christmas.  I don't mean about us, but you've been weird about KC.  The few times I've suggested the three of us go eat or to a movie, you immediately ask me to exclude him from the invite.  I can understand you wanting it just to be us sometimes, but you're even making him feel not wanted.  I didn't tell you, but that's why he went out this afternoon.  Sure, he still had some stuff to exchange, but he told me that he felt that you didn't want him around.  Seems he was right."

Cassie looked guilty after Jo Ann finished talking, picking at the toe of her wool sock.  She took a sip of her drink before speaking.  "I was thinking we could take in a boarder."

Closing the cookbook, Jo Ann gave Cassie her full attention.  "What would be the difference in having a boarder here, and having KC here?  I'm not following you."

"A boarder would pay.  KC doesn't."  Cassie pushed herself up from the floor and went to sit beside Jo Ann on the couch. " I know some in town that are getting five and six hundred a month for a boarder.  We'll give them KC's room and bath, and let them have the formal living room for their privacy.  It's at the opposite end of the house from our bedroom."

"We don't need a boarder for money.  Our finances are fine, unless you aren't telling me something, and I know you better than that.  You can pinch ten dollars out of a penny."

Cassie reached and took one of Jo Ann's hands.  "I want you to work just part time.  You work ten hours a day, come home, cook, and then clean the kitchen.  All I really do it help with the laundry.  You have the house cleaned before KC or I get up on Saturday.  I don't want you having to work so much at your age.  You need to take care of yourself."

Shifting so she could look the younger woman in the eyes, Jo Ann spoke soft and lovingly.  "Oh, sweetie.  You knew when we went into this that it was a May to December relationship.  If you feel that I'm getting to the age that you want someone younger, there'll be no hard feelings.  We've discussed this more than once."

"I don't want anyone else.  You're what I want and all I need.  Wanting you to take care of yourself and not work so hard doesn't mean your age bothers me.  I don't want to lose you.  My plan is for us to grow old together.  When you're a hundred, and I'm eighty, we're still going to sit in front of the fire with our toddies and reminisce about our younger years and KC's antics.  Forget I said anything."  Cassie leaned forward to kiss Jo Ann softly, pulling the older woman to her.

"Look at my new hot pink tights.  They have sparkles!"  KC burst through the door excitedly.

"Remember, you decided to keep him."  Cassie pecked Jo Ann on the lips one more time, laughing as she did so.

"Yeah, I did, didn't I?  We'll keep him as long as he needs us, and we'll keep each other forever.  Deal?"

"Deal."  Cassie scooted over to make room for KC.  As he pulled out tights and stockings in an array of colors, she smiled indulgently at the man.  Deep down she knew if one day the inevitable happened, KC would be there for her.

The End

Edited by joann414
  • Like 5

KC can come and live with me if he brings his gorgeous gray cat, and his daughter seems to be a Bright and cool kid, and I guess Robert can come too - I mean someone has too cook for us :lol:;)

I like your prompt :yes::hug:

• Like 2

Taking Steps

“I think I finally have the answer,” Jason stated as he walked back and forth in front of the fireplace.

“What are you talking about Jason?” asked Jerry.

“Well, I have been trying to pass my Sergeant exam and if I fail one more time I won’t be able to be promoted for several more years. I haven’t been able to study as much as I would like to because my roommate likes to party at all hours of the night and have been unable to find a quiet place to study.”

“Ok, so what’s the answer then?” questioned Jerry.

Jason continued walking back and forth while tapping his chin.

“I just need to either find a new roommate or just find a smaller place that I can afford by myself.”

“Babe, there is another solution, to this dilemma. You could just move in with me,” Jerry suggested.

Jason stopped and turned to look at Jerry with a look of wonderment. He never expected Jerry to make the offer, after all they hadn’t been together for very long.

“Are you sure? Don’t you think we would be rushing it? We’ve only been together for a few months.”

“Of course I’m sure. I’ve actually been thinking about it for a little while now, I just didn’t know how to bring it up to you. I love you and want to build a life with you,” Jerry said as he ran his hand up Jason’s arm to his shoulder, giving it a quick squeeze.

“Well, my lease is about up so that would be easy to get out of. When is your lease up?” asked Jason.

“My lease is up in two months time. We could start looking for a two bedroom apartment or even a small house if you wanted to.”

“That sounds doable. I think my roommate is actually wanting his girlfriend to move in and that would just make things too crowded. I could probably put my stuff in storage for the next couple of months until we find something bigger.”

“Sounds like a plan to me. Why don’t we head over to the apartment and start packing your belongings and let Tim know that he can have his girlfriend move in by the weekend,” stated Jerry.

Jason and Jerry grabbed their jackets to head over to Jason’s apartment to get things started in the moving process.

About twenty minutes later Jason let them into his apartment carrying empty boxes and found Tim and his girlfriend sitting on the couch watching a movie.

“Hey guys! Good, I’m glad you’re both here,” said Jason.

“What’s up Jason? Are those moving boxes?” asked Tim.

“Yeah, I’m gonna be moving in with Jerry. All I’m taking is my clothes, books, bedroom furniture and pictures. I’ll leave the rest of my furniture and kitchen supplies for you guys.”

“Thanks man, that’s awesome!” exclaimed Tim.

“Gee, don’t sound so excited to be rid of me,” joked Jason.

“Man, you know I love you like a brother, but it sucks when you’re here and Jessica wants to spend the night.”

“I know, that’s part of the reason for the move, plus it’s time for Jerry and I to take the next step in our relationship.”

“Let me know if you need any help.”

“Actually, now that you mention it, can we use your truck tomorrow afternoon?” Jason asked.

“Sure, it’s yours and I will even help you load and unload it.”

“Thanks man. Well, we’re going to go do some packing and let you guys go back to your movie.”

Jason and Jerry headed down the hall to Jason’s room to begin packing. It took a little while but they got all of his clothes, pictures, and bedding packed. They carried boxes out to their cars making several trips, soon all that was left was the bedroom furniture plus the odds and ends in the living room. Jason left a couple of smaller boxes so that he could pack them up in the afternoon when they came to get the bedroom furniture.

Once the cars were loaded they headed back over to Jerry’s place for the night. They brought in Jason’s suitcases and took them to the bedroom.

“I clean out the dresser for you in the morning, babe.”

“Ok, let’s just go to bed, it’s getting kind of late and I have the early morning shift tomorrow.”

“You’re right, it’s been a long day we should head to bed.”

Over the next few months Jason and Jerry looked at both houses and apartments. They eventually decided on a three bedroom townhouse close to the police station. Jason took his sergeants exam and after being able to study is a quiet location was able to pass with flying colors.

They were soon settled into their new place and were moving on with the next phase of their lives.

• Like 5