Where's the Beef....

sat8997

• Site Administrator

Last night was frozen pizza cooked in the oven -- it had been a long day.

Normally, I'd do pasta with a meat sauce and freshly baked bread rolls, but it starts to get frustrating when only half the family eats what you cook...

We've got a really nice Chicken Curry recipe from a low-fat cookbook, but I can't send it to you until I get home. Let me know if you want it. It tastes even better the next day.

Sharon,

How about Fiesta Potato Flan, which even my sister, a fussy eater, likes:

3 medium-sized russet potatoes (about 1 lb)

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup corn meal

4 tablespoons olive oil, divided

1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 jar (8 oz) mild (or spicy) picante sauce

1 cup shredded cooked chicken

1 cup (4 oz) Monterey Jack cheese, grated

1 tablespoon chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine warm potatoes, flour, corn meal, 3 tablespoons oil, garlic salt and pepper in large bowl. Mix to form smooth dough. Press into bottom and side of greased 10-inch flan or quiche pan. Spread picante sauce evenly over potato mixture, top with chicken and cheese, sprinkle parsley and 1 tablespoon oil over top. Bake 20 to 25 minutes.

I use more chicken (I tend to make this when I've baked a chicken and I use most of the white meat for this), I use a medium-spicy picante sauce, and I use a 10-inch pyrex pie pan. Tastes good left over, too. Oh, and I use a ricer on those potatoes, but I know everyone doesn't have one of those, so you could just mash them enough to get all the lumps out.

Jim

I know how to cook but it's not one of my favorite things to do. Tonight I am celebrating a friend's birthday. There's a great restaurant in a hotel in Laguna Beach called Splash's and that's where I'll be having dinner tonight. Not sure what I'll order yet, everything on the menu is excellent. :)

I come from an Italian family, my grandmother is the best cook and this recipe is one of my favorites but I've never been able to make it and you can't find it in Italian restaurants.

It's called Braciole di Manzo, the only thing I don't have is the recipe for her sauce. She always makes her sauce on Sunday.

This is the stuffing.

!

Edited by MarkInAlisoViejo

Tonight I'm making spaghetti. If you don't know how to make spaghetti, then we'll have problems, lol. Umm... let me see, you want some "ideas"...

Egg rolls. They're surprisingly easy to make, and very healthy. If you take a little time to experiment, you can come up with some things that you like and are actually not so bad for you. Sure, they're fried, but they're practically all veggies! :P Plus, you can put absolutely anything in an egg roll... so it could be chinesey stuff, or it could be a pizza roll, or it could be a savory type thing.

When I'm short on time, I break out the frozen chicken breasts cause they thaw fast and you can do a billion things with 'em. Match 'em with cheese, potatoes, and bread crumbs and you have a meal. You could just cook 'em up and dice to serve in a salad. Like I said, billions of things to do with them.

If you want real chicken and dumplings, then hit me up. Silly northerners try to put pasta in broth and pass it off as food. Psh, I laugh at you all. Dropped dumplings are the only way to go. That makes a meal, and leftovers get better and better every time you heat them up. Match it with some kind of bread, whatever your fancy (being southern... I like cornbread).

You got kids, huh? Anything in a crock pot. It takes absolutely no effort, just throw meat, veggies, whatever into the pot, and set it on low. Let it cook while you do whatever all day and it'll be ready for dinner that night.

So yeah, basically I take everything and southernify it when I cook it. If you're not from down here, you should give it a try sometime. Iced sweet tea (you northerners should know that you are forbidden to make tea) and cornbread are underrated. :D

I had a late lunch, so I'm just now about to eat supper. I picked up a small container of shrimp salad at the store this afternoon, so that's what I'm having tonight.

Well, we were going to have baked tuna with tomatoes and shallots, but my SO just dropped the fish on the floor, so I guess it's gonna be a frozen pizza night. :rolleyes:

Mmmm...I've grilled tuna before, but I've never tried it baked.

...it starts to get frustrating when only half the family eats what you cook...

I can sympathize with that statement. I no longer beat my head against the stove. I cook what I want and if they don

My idea is a lot easier than those... do you have a Chili's in the area? :P

My family went out to eat while I was working, so they got me a burger to go. It was a nice change of pace from the Panera that I've been having for the past week... damn store always wants me to close so my dinner is always from Panera Bread and always eaten in the break room... ugh.

Edited by rknapp

Plus Chilis usually has some nice looking waiters. At least in my area... and I swear at least half of them are gay. And if they arent, they are in my mind 0:)

I don't think this one's a weekday dinner. :blink: And as I'm also Italian, if its just a red sauce, I've got that covered. I'm definitely going to give this one a try.

It is a red sauce Sharon, my grandmother always makes her own spaghetti sauce. She cooks the braciole along with meatballs in the sauce. The braciole is a Sicilian dish. I have actually found one restaurant that would serve braciole but you have to give them two days notice in advance. :)

:D Darling I not only know how to make spaghetti, I know how to 'make spaghetti'.

Sharon

You're a better woman than I am, Sharon. :P My pasta comes out of a box, muah ha ha. Not the sauce... though I do admit that my tomato does come from a can. ~nods in shame~

I am grilling a lot these days. Keeps the mess out of the kitchen and everything tastes better that way.

Tonight was grilled chicken with corn on the cob grilled in margarine and garlic. I added tater salad and it would have been fit for dinner on the grounds at any Baptist church. :lmao:

• Site Administrator

Chicken Curry (from the Hip and Thigh Diet Book)

(Serves 2)

2 chicken joints with all fat and skin removed

15 oz (425g) tin tomatoes

bay leaf

1 eating apple, cored and chopped small

2 teaspoons oil-free sweet pickle or Branston

1 teaspoon tomato puree

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 tablespoon curry powder

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil.

Put a lid on the saucepan and cook slowly for about one hour,

stirring occasionally and making sure the chicken joints are

turned every 15 minutes or so.

If the mixture is too thin, remove the lid and cook on a slightly

higher heat until the sauce reduces and thickens.

Serve on a bed of boiled brown rice.

It's a very forgiving recipe. We tended to use tomato paste instead of puree, and slightly larger tins of tomatoes. We often made double quantity because it tasted even better the next day.

G'day Sharon...new ideas? You'll get more than you bargained for if you simply type 'recipe' followed by anything you fancy in the search area of google or other search engine. I've found a stack of recipes that way. :funny:

Plus Chilis usually has some nice looking waiters. At least in my area... and I swear at least half of them are gay. And if they arent, they are in my mind 0:)

My area as well... my mind is the same way :funny:

My family went out to eat while I was working, so they got me a burger to go. It was a nice change of pace from the Panera that I've been having for the past week... damn store always wants me to close so my dinner is always from Panera Bread and always eaten in the break room... ugh.

Ohhh, you work at a Panera! OMG! I love the "mozzarella and portobello"!! (<--- Vegetarian). I'd never heard of this place until I moved to Houston, now I'm crazy about it!

LOL, that's all that really matters anyway!

Actually there's an incredibly adorable waiter at the Chili's I occasionally go to. He is gay (obviously), but darn if I've only had him once <_<

I ate a large lunch around 3:00pm, so I doubt if I'm going to have another meal. I may have some baby carrots as a snack in a couple of hours, but that's probably about it.

My favourite meal is of course whipping up a large, fancy salad filled with lots of fresh and diverse ingredients.

Actually there's an incredibly adorable waiter at the Chili's I occasionally go to. He is gay (obviously), but darn if I've only had him once <_<

Uh...Darling, you might want to rephrase that. :blink:

Sharon

Lite dinner tonight. Grilled a skinless boneless chicken breast, cut it up over baby spinach with avocado, tomatoes, and cucumber and with a light Italian dressing on top. B)

Ohhh, you work at a Panera! OMG! I love the "mozzarella and portobello"!! (<--- Vegetarian). I'd never heard of this place until I moved to Houston, now I'm crazy about it!

Kevin, I work near a Panera. My store is a few units down from the local Panera, with a diamond store, tanning salon, and Coldstones in between. I almost don't bother going to Panera sometimes just because those three stores sicken me to no end.

Lite dinner tonight. Grilled a skinless boneless chicken breast, cut it up over baby spinach with avocado, tomatoes, and cucumber and with a light Italian dressing on top. B)

You call that lite? If I have to fend for myself, it's either going to be fast food, restaurant, or whatever's in the freezer that can be heated in 20 minutes or less. I've actually upgraded my eating habits since moving from the dorms to the apartments... I have included oven-heated foods as well!

Let's see, I only have ingredients as I threw this all together. Mom wanted salmon something... so I was actually trying to gross her out on Salmon because I hated fish and didn't feel like making a thousand different things instead of one large meal, BUT.. it actually turned out really good and got me hooked on at least one fish dish... <_<

Two pieces of boneless salmon

4 sliced and peeled limes

2 sliced and peeled oranges

2 Tbs of butter (I would normally use veggie oil, but that tends to keep flavors from mixing)

Salt (probably half a tsp)

Sliced Broccolli

Cauliflower

Carrots

Lettuce

Rice

Onions

Wrapped in foil and grilled. I couldn't tell you the time, but just when the salmon looked cooked and the vegetables were tender. I put all of the sliced oranges in, but I squeezed half the lime over the salmon and veggies then cooked the rest in there.

Krista