GA Get-together - SF, Sat Nov 3

What is your interest level?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What is your interest level?

• Yes - I will DEFINITELY be there
    • I'd like to be there - but not sure yet if I can
    • I'm not sure at all
    • I absolutely can not be there

For some time now, LittleBuddhaWT has been talking with Dan and myself - he's going to be in the San Francisco Bay Area from Wed, Oct 31 through Sunday, Nov 4 this year. He has a work conference that he's attending, and so we thought about getting together sometime Saturday night for dinner or something. The recent "GA Convention" thread came up - and now it seems like we might be able to make this a little bit larger affair - not a full "convention" - but at least a very cool first get together. Who knows, if there is enough interest, maybe we really do plan and try to do this again in another part of the country/world (I personally liked the idea of a few gathering spots linked together with webcams).

Now of course, as we're all busy and this is a volunteer coordination thing, don't expect grand large plans ;-) But - I think I can speak from experience, it can be a really great get together to face-to-face "meet" people you've known a while. Also, as we will have both authors as well as potentially minors, I think everyone will understand that my thought is that while I will post and talk about the time and date publicly, other than that we'll be in San Francisco, I will not, and hope all others will not, post the actual locations - only those who confirm they are attending will be sent the address information. The last thing I think any of us want/need is stalkers/anon lurkers showing up because they saw the meeting information.

General thoughts (TOTAL first draft) are a casual mid-afternoon get together (think coffee-ish kind of location), then go to somewhere for dinner (7PM-ish), then for those of age, if people want to group and head out to clubs, they'd be welcome to do so... The whole thing would be dutch - and I figure, most food places we'd go, expect to spend around $25-35 for dinner.

I'm fine with trying to coordinate car-pools and/or other details as it gets closer - but for now, this rough sketch I think does well enough. I am ABSOLUTELY open to other suggestions (except moving it to another city as the whole point is that part of the plan is already in place). If anyone is nervous about posting your suggestions, you can also send me a PM...

So - what think you? Let's hear it...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, I figure the main focus is on the dinner itself, but some people might get in early so thought it would be good to have something to do, a little more casual way to start to get to know each other...

Option #2 for me. I think this is a great idea, and I would love to go! Unfortunately I won't know my exam scheduals until September and if I have exams the following week it just won't work. Even then I have to find a decent fair that is hopefully less than $500, as it would come out of my loans. We will see though. :)

Option number 2 for me as well. I looked up the plane tickets and it would be about 300$ max for me, so that isn't too bad at all....

Though i am starting school this year, and with work idk how that would work out, but we shall see.

-LC

• Site Administrator

Don't forget to allow money for accommodation and meals. You can be surprised how quickly they can add up, even when you're doing things on the cheap :)

Good luck for everyone who ends up going!

For me, it's definitely number 4. Had it been some other date, I would have given it a thought (but not sure). But this one is in the middle of my exams! So sorry.

But hey, we want full details and pics! (Does Joe really snore? :P )

Ieshwar

Well you can put me down as a VERY strong probably.

I think that would be a ton of fun, and I'd love to see San Fran! (how's the shopping there? 0:) )

I wonder if some of the other Texas area GA people might want to travel together? PM me if this would apply to you and you'd be interested ;)

This sounds like a great idea :)

Keep us posted!

-Kevin

I sent Joe the info - but basically Southwest can get you from Dallas (Love Field) to Oakland and back for $250... Only downside is they are promotional fares, so if you change your schedule, the fares go up...

HELL NO! I WON'T GO!

Lol, I had to do it. Actually, I want to go, but there's no way in hell I could ever do it. In fact, just because of the fact that I still live with my parents means that I won't be attending any such functions until I graduate, live on my own, and can afford the plane tickets. I can hardly afford to put gas in my car, let alone fly across the country!

But hey, we want full details and pics! (Does Joe really snore? :P )

Ieshwar

I've been told I don't snore for the most part but occasionally I do. If I do snore usually the person just kicks me and I wake up :P

Joe

Dang!

I may have mentioned in the other thread about the convention that I organize and host a weekend that's become an in-real-life gathering for folks at another on-line forum (based on a VERY different topic than GA). Well--the first weekend of November is the weekend we've scheduled this year! So I'll wish you all well, but that's one of the few weekends I won't even mind that I won't have internet access.

--Rigel

I voted on the second option. November and December are my extremely busy months really, but I'd like to go. I just probably wouldn't be able to make it realistically. Anyway, SF is one of the many places I'd want to travel to in the U.S though so maybe that would be my motivation. :)

Krista

I voted on the second option. November and December are my extremely busy months really, but I'd like to go. I just probably wouldn't be able to make it realistically. Anyway, SF is one of the many places I'd want to travel to in the U.S though so maybe that would be my motivation. :)

Krista

don't forget the shopping with Kevin... I'd say I'd Join the two of you but I'm more of a wham bam thank you ma'am when it comes to shopping :\

Please fix the spelling of "definitely."

Yes, sir! ;)

'd say I'd Join the two of you but I'm more of a wham bam thank you ma'am when it comes to shopping :\

I heard you were like that in other areas as well :P

:o SHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :P

Shadow he's 3 good reasons for you to attend.

1: So i can meet the person CJ blames for everything...

2: So i can bug and nag you for chapter 28 in person!!!

3: and last but least, well idk, but i like having 3 reasons instead of 2 therefor i will keep this at 3 =D

I've been told I don't snore for the most part but occasionally I do. If I do snore usually the person just kicks me and I wake up :P

Joe

I won't kick i promise!!! Instead i'll just poke you in your rip cage, until you're just about to wake up then stop. :P

-LC

I won't kick i promise!!! Instead i'll just poke you in your rip cage, until your just about to wake up then stop :P

-LC

:o NO poking Joey!!! Besides there are better ways to wake him up :D ....although I don't think a certain someone would appreciate me doing that 0:)

Oh well, he is cute, so I would just let him snore away :P