GA Get-together - SF, Sat Nov 3

What is your interest level?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What is your interest level?

• Yes - I will DEFINITELY be there
    • I'd like to be there - but not sure yet if I can
    • I'm not sure at all
    • I absolutely can not be there

So...I've always wanted to see California...and I do have a cousin who lives in Palo Alto.

I just need to decide if I can really handle any more traveling. I mean, Florida this past week. Italy/Paris in a month. Can I handle California 3 weeks later?

I guess we'll just see ;-)

Luigi

You'll get to meet all us wonderful people!!!

And if i can i'll even give you a hug too!! haha i'm not even a hugging type of person ><

-LC

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o I DID NO SUCH THING!! That was two days ago...

And Steve, Viv might regret offering her back seat to us ;)

FEAR NOT! if we break her rear view mirror I can fix it! as for stains... uhhh...

:angry: If she so much as thinks I'm gonna ride in that back seat then you two wont be doing anything! :P

Spoil sport :/

well its a drive from LA to SF so I would hope for some sort of refreshement :)

You guys can make the 8 hour drive and I'll meet you in SF with refreshments :) saving 4 dollars on airfare is not worth the 8 hour drive no matter who it's with, sorry :P

I think we need to start a list of people instead of just taking a poll because once you vote you can't change your mind (unless you're special and can alter the votes like me :P )

So, would everyone be so kind as to state in red their choice: Yes, I'm coming; I'm planning on it but not 100% sure; I'm thinking about it, but probably can't make it. I left off the "No, I can't make it" because I don't want a list of 4,000 people just saying no they aren't coming :wacko:

Once I get a good list going, I'll pin it in the Lounge so we can keep track and anyone that needs to change their status can do so :)

Joe (Who's planning on coming but isn't 100% sure yet.)

I'm planning on coming, but I'm not 100% sure yet (a good 95% though)

Well if Kevins going then.... :D

I'm the same way as Joe and Kevin

I'm planning on coming, but I'm not 100% sure yet

So...I've always wanted to see California...and I do have a cousin who lives in Palo Alto.

I just need to decide if I can really handle any more traveling. I mean, Florida this past week. Italy/Paris in a month. Can I handle California 3 weeks later?

I guess we'll just see ;-)

Getting the chance to meet me (and see my sexy new buzz cut and goatee) isn't enough encouragement? :P

Anywho, I'm definitely going, considering my plane ticket has been bought and I have my hotel reservation already (and I think I mentioned in my blog that it's a really nice hotel and I have the room all to myself ... B) ).

• Site Moderator

If I didn't already have vacation plans made, I'd consider it. There's also a couple of people in the S.F. area I'd like to catch up with. I met one of the a couple of years ago when he was in the D.C. area. But since I've already got a grueling week of coaster riding planned with a friend, I'll stick to that.

Jan

You guys can make the 8 hour drive and I'll meet you in SF with refreshments :) saving 4 dollars on airfare is not worth the 8 hour drive no matter who it's with, sorry :P

Hrmmm, Let's see; 8 hours by car, or an hour and a half getting to LA airport, finding parking, getting to the terminal, 2+ hours waiting for the flight, an hour in the air, and an hour and a half in SF getting your luggage, picking up a rental car, etc. Add an hour in for padding against running late, and you save about an hour by flying. LoL

Thats why I won't even consider flying if it's less than a thousand miles. However, in my case it takes hours to get to the airport, so that's a big part of it.

I'm thinking about it, but probably can't make it.

Well when you put it that way of course it sounds bad :P But the airport is only 10-15 minutes from me, and then it's a 3 hour flight, but I only lose an hour because of the time difference, I usually get there about an hour and a half early and spend half an hour waiting for luggage. So 3+1.5+.5 = 5 minus 2 (Time difference :P ) = 3 So HAH! I win :D

But still, I'd rather be on a plane for 3 hours than in a car for 8 unless I'm driving. I get restless too easily when I'm a passenger on a roadtrip.

• Site Administrator
Hrmmm, Let's see; 8 hours by car, or an hour and a half getting to LA airport, finding parking, getting to the terminal, 2+ hours waiting for the flight, an hour in the air, and an hour and a half in SF getting your luggage, picking up a rental car, etc. Add an hour in for padding against running late, and you save about an hour by flying. LoL

Thats why I won't even consider flying if it's less than a thousand miles. However, in my case it takes hours to get to the airport, so that's a big part of it.

Well when you put it that way of course it sounds bad :P But the airport is only 10-15 minutes from me, and then it's a 3 hour flight, but I only lose an hour because of the time difference, I usually get there about an hour and a half early and spend half an hour waiting for luggage. So 3+1.5+.5 = 5 minus 2 (Time difference :P ) = 3 So HAH! I win :D

Are the planes in the USA slow or something? Melbourne/Sydney is either an hour flight or a fourteen hour drive. Even allowing for the rigmarole of checking in, etc., it is several hours quicker to fly than to drive, and I think (from memory) Melbourne and Sydney are only about 800 miles apart.

As for the get together, I'm definitely not going, though I would've liked to have been able to make it.

Actually, I was being quite serious. I do do that from time to time. I know, it's boring. :P

An actual convention might not happen for a while, but I saw nothing wrong with making this suggestion. Live discussion is so much better. People can feed off each other's ideas. A dinner/dance sounds like a good idea. What else?

I've been known to have the odd R rated thought. 0:) But, honestly, not this time. If I were, I wouldn't put it in the program.

Conner

Sorry Conner, I knew you were being serious, but I couldn't resit making some cheap joke though.

I do agree with you though, an agenda would be a good idea, to better plan the day, and help direct those who do attend the GA Get-together.

I'm thinking about it, but probably can't make it.

You'd better come Matty! I'll even meet you at the airport if necessary (LOL, we know how well that'll work out :boy: )

Guess who's going to be in Houston for two hours tomorrow!

I don't know about the trip, I need to see how much I have after grants and stuff, and right now the trips looking like it'll be just around $500 for the flight, hotel, and car. With food, gas, and everything else, that's a lot for a 2 day trip. Maybe if I had someone to room with...

And besides all that, I'd have to get time off my job. It's really up in the air right now.

Maybe those going that day should wear something that stands out... I was thinking of something like an Arm band... I would choose the colour red. We tie it around our arm so those who are attending know we are also attending too.

Just a thought I had when I pictured people meeting up at a park.

Maybe those going that day should wear something that stands out... I was thinking of something like an Arm band... I would choose the colour red. We tie it around our arm so those who are attending know we are also attending too.

Just a thought I had when I pictured people meeting up at a park.

Not a bad idea - though for Vic - I more picture him in a tiara... :P

Guess who's going to be in Houston for two hours tomorrow!

I don't know about the trip, I need to see how much I have after grants and stuff, and right now the trips looking like it'll be just around $500 for the flight, hotel, and car. With food, gas, and everything else, that's a lot for a 2 day trip. Maybe if I had someone to room with...

And besides all that, I'd have to get time off my job. It's really up in the air right now.

B) .............Good point!! Is there anyone in SF that can check out reasonable room prices. I just couldn't just guessamate. SWA w/two weeks @ 160.00 RT, Hotel room??

Screw car rental, Taxi!!

Hotels will probably be about $100+/night - you can find cheaper, but... um... you might not wanna...

One decent one (from last time I stayed there) was the Rodeway Inn Downtown - not total luxury but clean and nice...

As to rental car - unless you're also wanting to go on a drive or day trip, you should be fine without...

Now - one recent big of news - I had mentioned to David that he's gonna be in SF at a great time as the Castro always has great eye-candy on Halloween. But due to some incidents last year, SF isn't doing a big Halloween night in the Castro this year... Just an FYI for those making travel plans...

So far, here's the list:

Yes, I'm coming:

Dan (DKStories)

Robert (Trebs)

LittleBuddhaTW

Joe (JSmith)

Viv

Steve (Shadowgod)

I'm planning on coming, but I'm not 100% sure yet:

Kevin (AFriendlyFace)

L0st Cause

Krista

I'm thinking about it, but probably can't make it:

CJames

Bardeara

Please let me know if I put you in the wrong category.

I am planning to come, but really, I'm going to be busy. It depends on how bad I want to be.. lol. I'm taking on extra classes to get through college faster. (So, 70% sure that I'll be there)

Krista

• Site Administrator

The timing is a little screwy for me. I'm on vacation in Florida for the week of 10/20 through 10/27. Then turning around and flying to San Francisco the weekend after I get back. I haven't been on a plane in 27 years (to Dallas, by the way Joe), and here I am considering flying to the two furtherst places I can go in the Contenental USA inside a 2 week period.

I checked the cost... I can afford to go.

I checked vacation time remaining... I have just enough.

I'm not sure on schedule. Work is going to be insane with me gone for a week. If I came back only to work 4 days, I think my boss would lay an egg.

I'm thinking about it. call it 50/50 right now of me going to San Francisco.

Now... next year should be in NYC... lol. I'd rather drive. (did you know it's cheaper for me to buy a ticket to San Francisco with a layover in NYC then for me to buy a ticket to NYC?)

Ok here is another wacky idea from me.

Rent a hostal.... Read the following and you will have a better idea on what I mean. with the following link 4 people could rent a room for the price of which would be a room at a hotel.

Hostal Idea

Some people might not go for it, but it's a very cheap way to cut back on costs. Lets face it, anyone who's going to this probable won't sleep much anyway and those who do go will probable be hanging out and chatting it up at some other persons hotel so why not just group it...

Think of it as a camping trip but in the city :D