GA Get-Together (post-2007 and planning for 2008)

Trebs

2008 GA Get-together planning  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What city for 2008?

• New York City (and I'll probably go)
    • New York City (though I prob won't go)
    • Dallas, TX (and I'll probably go)
    • Dallas, TX (though I prob won't go)
  2. 2. What date(s) look good for you? (can choose more than 1)

• June 6-8, 2008 weekend
    • Nov 7-9, 2008 weekend
    • Dec 12-14, 2008 weekend

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Moderator
Why don't we organise a Get-together in the UK somewhere? I'm sure we'd be able to get enough members coming to it...

Since plans are being made for the second GA Get-Together, I think it would be wise to get thru a couple of these to see how it goes before we really make it international.

I voted for New York City myself, tho Philly might be nice since I live close by. If it goes to NYC, then maybe we can talk the boss man himself into going. Wouldn't it be nice to meet the man that made this site possible?

Jan

Let's plan a Spring Europe get-together. It could be fun. What about Kent to start with?

B) ........Small planet, big world, we probably should realistically consider multiple sites and hold the get together on the same date. That way more people could make it!

:-)

Well - either way for an European gathering... first step is someone willing to step up and be the key coordinator.

Then at that point, whether it is England or France, or same date as US or different date - at least someone would be on top of it.

To be honest, it doesn't take a lot of time. I'd suggest you keep it to just a simple dinner on a Saturday night or maybe an afternoon tea, and encourage people to keep in touch with you so if there is an interest in joint sight-seeing or other activities, you can do that as well.

I know Dallas and New York City - and worked through this first one, so I feel comfortable setting up the 2008 U.S. one (and it's also one reason for the three sets of dates as they are dates that Dan and I can make it). But as I don't know Europe at all, nor am I likely to be able to attend a European one next year, there is no way I can help out at all (other than helping give advice and guidance to the person who does want to step forward).

So...

Any volunteers? You can post here or PM me... and if there is more than one person, that can work too, as they can coordinate it together - the key is just communication.

Trebs

PS As an added incentive, if a simple 2008 European GA Get-Together is successful and there is a 2009 one, Dan and I may be able to go as our 2009 schedule is a LOT more open than our 2008 one...

I voted Dallas for the obvious reason that I live there, but I must say it won't be anything like the San Francisco trip. The cities are completely different and it might be harder to find some things to do, but I'm sure we can manage something.

Isn't there a 6 Flags in Ft. Worth?

And if there's any Nascar fans besides myself, There is always Texas Motor Speedway--Race or no race, It is a must see on my list if I ever have time to kill in Dallas.

So yeah, Those are just 2 off the top of my head, There's a lot of time between now and then to throw out all kinds of ideas.

There's a Six Flags in Arlington which is between Dallas and Ft Worth.

And Texas Motor Speedway has all day events on June 6 and Jun 7.

Now saying that, a NYC gathering could be centered in the West Village (ie, near where the modern gay rights movement started at the Stonewall Inn). Plus - early June in NYC usually has decent weather. Hotel prices are usually higher, but you can also stay out of Manhattan (like in Queens) and quickly take the subway in.

Voting right now of those likely to go is exactly split between the two cities, though the early June date does look like it's prevailing. I'm going to keep the poll up for a bit more to get more input, but I'm already looking around at ideas to do in either city...

Viv sent me her pictures and I uploaded them as a separate gallery - have a look!

Umm... THANKS!!! :D I would have done that myself had I known you were gonna make it a whole separate gallery... I figured you would just add them to yours.

Hugs!!

I'd love to go, if my calendar permits and I don't have a conflicting concert or music festival that weekend.

New York is a wonderful place, but expensive for tourists.

I like Philadephia, and let me toss in the idea of Washington, DC.

Actually, let me suggest a DC get-together anytime, even independent of Trebs and DK. Several of us GA regulars live very nearby and a few more within a few hours (like Philadelphia or New Jersey or Virginia tidewater).

--Rigel

Ok, I voted a few days ago, and I voted for NYC because I currently live in Virginia. Since I have no clue where I will be living or working after January 31. I don't care anymore. As for the date ... well ... I voted for June simply becuase my birthday is the 7th. (which is also the anniversary of the date that GA went to a dedicated server).

Oh, and who the hell is Tim the Traveller who is either in Wi or Tx ... sounds like a slut to me.

:king: Dr. Mr. Snow "Snoopy" Dog

I definitely think one of our European/UK friends ought to coordinate an event. Like Trebs I can't really volunteer to do anything with it since I'm unfamiliar with Europe and wouldn't be able to attend anyway, but I think the key is just someone putting together some basic plans and communicating with the other interested parties to find out the best time and place. Personally I don't think it's particularly important that we time the two events to coincide. I suppose it would be fairly nice, but I think the first priority should be finding times that work best for the people attending each event. After all we can catch the pics and find out how everything went here on the site later ;)

Just my thoughts though,

Kevin

P.S. Welcome back Snowy and Tim! :)

Yeah I'm not sure how my brother and sister would take a gay convention sleeping in the house. And there'd most likely be a party going on at the time unless it's in the summer.

P.S. HI MICHELLE! :D

HI Joebo!

Anywho, no one stays with Joe at his house, only me! I say we should all rent out a giant suite at some hotel and have a grand ole' time! Trust me, Joe and I can find a room and have fun doing it!

Awwww....I guess Joe's house is out then :(

Anyway I'm not voting cause I don't know what I can/can't do yet. I'd prefer to do NY in 2009 because I'll probably be there anyways. As for dates for 2008 June is out as I have a ceremony here to attend *sigh* and November is sketchy cause I'll be writing the biggest test of my life around then....8 hours of hell!! December might work as I could probably stop off on my way home for christmas.

Well that is just my ideal but don't change any plans over me :)

Greg

I voted Dallas, Because it is centrally located.

NYC is really expensive place to go.

Of course, If Dom or Vance were to make it, I would be there 100% guaranteed, Even if I had to push down old ladies to get there on time :lol:

Vegas does have it's perks too. Prostitution is legal in parts of Nevada :worship: , Although Gay brothels arent widespread yet :angry:

That is all.

Edited by I luv Dom

I definitely think one of our European/UK friends ought to coordinate an event. Like Trebs I can't really volunteer to do anything with it since I'm unfamiliar with Europe and wouldn't be able to attend anyway, but I think the key is just someone putting together some basic plans and communicating with the other interested parties to find out the best time and place. Personally I don't think it's particularly important that we time the two events to coincide. I suppose it would be fairly nice, but I think the first priority should be finding times that work best for the people attending each event. After all we can catch the pics and find out how everything went here on the site later ;)

Just my thoughts though,

Kevin

P.S. Welcome back Snowy and Tim! :)

I did mean that one of the UK/europe people should organise it.

I'd do it myself but I couldn't organise mass inebriation in a brewery (to put the common phrase politely)

EDIT: Just been doing some thinking about stuff for a UK/Europe get-together. Anyway, just a few thoughts I had:

1. Travel Prices shouldn't be too much trouble... any half-decent amount of notice and you can normally get really cheap flights with company's like Ryanair.

2. If it was in spring then I think it'd have to be early spring cos spring is quite a busy time of the year (If I remember rightly).

3. London is easy to get to, and while its a sort of large scale maze there are at least a few fairly obvious meeting places (if we had an half hour or so box to meet in just for the actual initial gathering, it'd probably make things simpler...or maybe not. idk...just a thought.)

4. Obviously London springs to mind as obvious location... but then there probably are better places. I don't know them though (not gone to most cities at all actually)

Anyway, there we go. A few random thoughts. Probably half gibberish. Meh, I'm tired :P

EDIT 2:

I also don't think its important to have the two events coinciding. I reckon we'd be better off seeing how a UK event actually turns out before trying to get it happening at the same time as a US one just for the sake of it.

Edited by clumber

Isn't there a 6 Flags in Ft. Worth?

And if there's any Nascar fans besides myself, There is always Texas Motor Speedway--Race or no race, It is a must see on my list if I ever have time to kill in Dallas.

So yeah, Those are just 2 off the top of my head, There's a lot of time between now and then to throw out all kinds of ideas.

Six Flags is in Arlington, love.

If NYC is too expensive/far, then Philly is less expensive/closer. I'm pretty much equidistant between those two cities but I would definitely have to take the train into NYC since parking there is astronomical ($60+ in most places for one day!).

As for D.C.... I won't go to a city where 11-year-olds have knives.

If NYC is too expensive/far, then Philly is less expensive/closer. I'm pretty much equidistant between those two cities but I would definitely have to take the train into NYC since parking there is astronomical ($60+ in most places for one day!).

As for D.C.... I won't go to a city where 11-year-olds have knives.

:lol:

Just in some locations :P

Texas would be fun, I wish I went to the sf meet.

Depending on the way the world deals out my cards in the coming months, there's a good chance that I may be able to show up at something like this...

Truthfully, I'm not really sure how likely either location is, so I'm thinking they're probably equal. Either way, I could probably figure out some way to tag along with someone or visit friends and work this in. ~shrugs~ I just gots to have time to scheme. Oh, and if it's in Dallas... NOT JUNE! HOT=BAD! Although if it were in NYC I don't forsee the same... voracity of heat. Plus, summer would be the time when I would be most likely to be able to get away. Kinda impossible for me to travel in the midst of classes, especially after I get through all the easy ones.

This does actually sound kind of fun, especially if Krista and some others manage to show up. :D

Alas, I am notorious for backing out of things at the absolute last minute, so it's anybody's guess. Would be fun, though.