What are you reading?

No- just a dedicated geek.

When you study the sciences, you will quickly discover that many of them overlap. For instance it is difficult to study any science without some basic knowlege of chemistry.

The new science of planetology or the study of planets constantly refers back to the well known benchmarks and baselines of geology. Geology is a relatively weak area for me so it is something that I've been working on.

Maybe if I haven't been stuffing my head with science textbooks for the better half of my life, the thought wouldn't be so appalling. In any case, I am impressed and I honestly admire you and your geekiness.

I suppose the whole principle of counterbalance explains why I have been happily reading Helen Vendler's Our Secret Discipline. It's a book about lyric form in Yeats's poetry. I beg everyone to read it -- or any book by Vendler. She makes clear, concise, and -- best of all -- *scientific* observations about poetry. It's not hand-wavy at all; she never hides behind big words like "human condition" or "obsessive solipsism" or whatever. And anyone who's interested in the Oscars should read it, because No Country for Old Men is a quote from one of Yeats's masterworks, specifically "Sailing to Byzantium."

'Witches Night Outs' by Silver Ravenwolf: This is the first book in a series for teens. Yes, I know, I'm 23, but it's a good source for information. It starts out with a girl named Bethany Salem whose boyfriend has died in an accident. She is part of a coven and with their help finds out things about herself and those around her. It's a great series of self discovery and has given me many an idea for my new story

I love Silver Ravenwolf's writing.

I'm currently reading Interview With a Vampire by Anne Rice, and very much enjoying it. So far it's a very good read.

Anything by Gregory Maguire is worth reading. Wicked and Son of a Witch are his best in my opinion.

Also, the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer is definitely worth reading, though the series is considered "Young Adult"

my spring break just started so i'm trying to finish some books i've started and then gotten annoyed with or had school get it the way or ran off and had an affair with another book while reading.

so i have to finish reading:

underworld, don delillo.

beloved, toni morrison. (third time through, but my school's obsessed with her. we think because she applied and was turned away because it was before she was a big deal and she didn't have a master's degree even.)

the hours, michael cunningham.

and then as for ones i haven't started yet:

life and times of michael k, j.m. coetzee.

heart of darkness, joseph conrad. (second time through, but i have to reread it in relation to...)

season of migration to the north, tayeb salih.

sula, toni morrison. (second time through, but what have i said, she saturates our curriculum.)

oh goodie. no fun for me over break.

I'm currently reading Interview With a Vampire by Anne Rice, and very much enjoying it. So far it's a very good read.

Anything by Gregory Maguire is worth reading. Wicked and Son of a Witch are his best in my opinion.

Also, the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer is definitely worth reading, though the series is considered "Young Adult"

Yummy choices, really. I've read 'Interview with a Vampire.' Hell, I've read most of her books.

I like the one book by, I think, Christopher Rice. It's a great story about a gay boy who was raped and comes to terms with it over the course of his life.

Drawing Blood, by Poppy Z. Brite

I've been wanting to read that one for a loooooong time now, and it's great so far. I'm also reading the fourth book in the Wheel of Time series, The Shadow Rising. :D

Currently reading At All Costs by David Weber, the newest book in his Honor Harrington series. Before that, it was Waterways by Kyell Gold, a Furry novel about coming out and coming of age, and before that, an old novel Dragonworld by Byron Preiss, Michael Reaves, and Joseph Zucker.

Next up after that is the first historical romance I've ever bought, Venetia by Georgette Heyer, hopefully followed by Bridge to Terabithia if I manage to buy it in time.

- dfp

Edited by darkfoxprime
Next up after that is the first historical romance I've ever bought, Venetia by Georgette Heyer, hopefully followed by Bridge to Terabithia if I manage to buy it in time.

Bridge To Terabithia is an amazing book.

I love it yes I do. Another worth reading book by Paterson is Jacob, Have I Loved.

B) .......well I haven't even started to read ITFB, too much angst with the Domaholics!! :P

But I am reading;

My Only Escape - Comsie

Dreams & Clipped Wings - Shadowgod

I'm reading those two alongwith "City of Djinns" by William Dalrymple. WD is an amazing travel writer :D

I don't know if that counts, but I recently finished "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman.

SPOILER! there are two gay angels in there. Not a lot of stuff going on, but I like the fact that their love was so passionate and true. <3

I'm still searching for other books to read....

But I read a lot on the net.

"With Intent" By Zebbie in Fictionpress. About a OCD guy who has a really crazy cool talent. He can see bad intentions. Go read to understand better.

"My toaster thinks I'm crazy" By Drazuki in Fictionpress. It's about a guy who can hear inanimate objects talk to him. Reaaally fun! :)

"Rise of the Dawn" by Inkslinger, also in Fictionpress. If you like fantasy, and crazy descriptions go read it.

"Greg the Vampire" by user MizWatson, in livejournal. Read if if you want crazy good dialogues. This story rocks. The title is very deceiving, because it's a really, really great story. You may want to read the prequel before that: "Frank in love"

Er, maybe I'll put the links later... haha...

I don't know if that counts, but I recently finished "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman.

SPOILER! there are two gay angels in there. Not a lot of stuff going on, but I like the fact that their love was so passionate and true. <3

I'm still searching for other books to read....

But I read a lot on the net.

"With Intent" By Zebbie in Fictionpress. About a OCD guy who has a really crazy cool talent. He can see bad intentions. Go read to understand better.

"My toaster thinks I'm crazy" By Drazuki in Fictionpress. It's about a guy who can hear inanimate objects talk to him. Reaaally fun! :)

"Rise of the Dawn" by Inkslinger, also in Fictionpress. If you like fantasy, and crazy descriptions go read it.

"Greg the Vampire" by user MizWatson, in livejournal. Read if if you want crazy good dialogues. This story rocks. The title is very deceiving, because it's a really, really great story. You may want to read the prequel before that: "Frank in love"

Er, maybe I'll put the links later... haha...

Links are very much welcomed since it makes it easier to get to the stories. But nicely done. Are you a lurker? This is your first post.

Phillip Pullman is an amazing author.

So want to know what some really good books are, these seven novels called Harry Potter. They really are good books, I'm not gonna lie. :D

So want to know what some really good books are, these seven novels called Harry Potter. They really are good books, I'm not gonna lie. :D

Oooh, the curse of the Harry Potter craze. I admit, they were good books. Well, at least the first five which I read. I was all into them, but like everything else, grew out of it, and only accomplished up to the fifth, which was mad huge!!! After that...jeez, come on Rowling, I got school, work.... :wacko:

Perhaps one day when I have free time, possibly after school ends or I settle down working, I'll finish the last two. It's like, I came this far...I can't quit now!

Oooh, the curse of the Harry Potter craze. I admit, they were good books. Well, at least the first five which I read. I was all into them, but like everything else, grew out of it, and only accomplished up to the fifth, which was mad huge!!! After that...jeez, come on Rowling, I got school, work.... :wacko:

Perhaps one day when I have free time, possibly after school ends or I settle down working, I'll finish the last two. It's like, I came this far...I can't quit now!

Eh, after book five, I wasn't much of a fan. I don't know. I'll probably try to read book 7 again, since I couldn't stand it to the end.

I'm currently reading the first of two books by Josh Aterovis. He writes the Killian Kendall Mystery Series.

These are republished books. The first time around he was self-published. His books received enough critical acclaim, and good enough sales, that he was offered a publishing deal. There was a great deal of rewriting in the second set of books. So even if you read the first set of books I recommend reading the second set of books.

I guess the genre is best described as murder/mystery/detective/relationships.

The first book is, Bleeding Hearts. The second book is, Reap the Whirlwind.

While the plots are all different (duh!) there is superb character continuity from book to book, and that makes for an interesting read because it gives you incentive to develop feelings for the characters. Much like some of the stories here on GA.

In the interest of full disclosure I host his website.

ADDED: Perhaps I'm overly concerned with how others perceive me. I'm not completely into fluff like the above two novels are. I am also an avid student of WWII. I just finished reading, What Stalin Knew: The Enigma of Barbarossa by David E Murphy. It deals with the Nazi invasion of Russia and the inexplicable blunders made by Joseph Stalin.

Edited by GaryInMiami

I've been reading several on my own and for school, I just finished Nickel and Dimed which was for my AP English class, it's rather interesting.

Winter Birdsby Jim Grimsley, is such a good book i recommend you read it.

Moving Onby Jack Frost: this is so good too, I just finished reading the last chapter

Someday this pain will be useful to you by Peter Cameron: i got thing at Barnes and Noble the other day, its depressing, but really attentive.

I'm reading Nuns and Soldiers by Iris Murdoch at the moment. I've also started reading Everybody's Wounded here on GA, but I have very little time to read anymore, which is upsetting. When I like Murdoch, though, I like her a lot, so I suspect I will end up making time to read more of her work in the near future.

I started to read Mercy Among the Children but I decided a third of the way in that no amount of critical praise was going to make the book any less dull, so I stopped reading it.

Menzo