What are you reading?

Pandora by Anne Rice: I may hate her for turning her back on an entire series but...I promised myself I would finish all of her books (and I have nearly. This one and another one I just have to finish). It's rather...dry. But I will prevail!

Funny you should mention that, I've just started re-reading aforementioned series.

As for the rest of my read pile (I sorta vaguely drift through different books as they come to hand)

Dracula by Bram Stoker (read number umpteen)

The Talisman, 1408, and Dreamcatcher by Stephen King

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

The Bourne series by Robert Ludlum

Don Quixote by Cervantes

The Tower of Babel by Jorge Luis Borges

2 plays:

Rosencratz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard

The Birthday Party by Harold Pinter

And I have to finish up a report on "John Milton's Paradise Lost" which I personally think is probably one of the most dullest works I have ever read.

2 plays:

Rosencratz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard

The Birthday Party by Harold Pinter

And I have to finish up a report on "John Milton's Paradise Lost" which I personally think is probably one of the most dullest works I have ever read.

I tend to agree about Paradise Lost except that in the middle of all the boring stuff there really are some very beautiful passages. Besides it's about my all time favourite subject... fallen angels.

Skimmed the thread and didn't see anything about the Baen Free Library. Over 100 books available online for free :read::D ...

Neptune Crossing, Strange Attractors, and The Infinite Sea (Jeffrey Carver) - The ultimate tease, book four in this series (Sunborn) was due out in 2001, but kept getting pushed back while Carver finished Eternity's End. Book four is now FINALLY out and available for free for a limited time on Carver's website (along with the aforementioned Eternity's End) at starrigger.net. I bought the first four books as a freshman in high school (in 2000!) and have been waiting for Sunborn for nine years now - just have to reread the first three to get back into the series. (Maybe I'm beginning to understand how Davey Jones felt about Episode III in the Do Over series? :lol: )

And I just burned through Sunborn in two afternoons ... so I've finally moved on from nine years of waiting for book four, to ... waiting for book five. boogiegl9.gif

I'm planning on reading The Alchemist by Pablo ... something, it's Spanish ... . :P

And NO this lecture isn't to hard for this silly teenager. :P I just like books about the human mind.

Anyone read it before? 'cause I'm not sure if I'll read it or not, might be a bit TO boring. ^^

"The Crisis of Islam" by Bernard Lewis. Could be very, very difficult.

I read that a few years ago. It's not difficult at all; rather basic, in fact. If you want to understand how Islamic history feeds into the current politics of the Middle East, you're better off with something like Albert Hourani's "A History of the Arab Peoples", or John Darwin's "After Tamerlane: The Global History of Empire" for a more broad sweep. Lewis is a bit neocon and simplistic in his analysis. There's better stuff out there.

Myself, i'm nearing the end of Robert Fagles' translation of The Odyssey, which is impressive. I'm only reading it in preparation for Ulysses, which is going to be tough. To anyone thinking of tackling it - i've been told it pays to read Dubliners, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and The Odyssey as kind of preparation.

What They Always Tell Us by Martin Wilson is a great read about two brothers during their last years of high school, learning about themselves, each other, as well as their "friends". I found it refreshing, insightful and well written.

Also, Good Blood by Aaron Elkins is a detective story set in and around Rome. It is full of intrigue, an "interesting" (at best) family and an enterprising forensic anthropologist known elsewhere as the "Skeleton Detective". Very good read!

Edited by Rubilacxe

I've added a few books (downloaded).

There is....The DaVinci Code, Angels and Demons, a couple of historical books (one on archeological finds and one is about myths and the such).

And I have more books on my list...>>

• 1 month later...

I am currently reading "Darksong Rising" by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. It is part of The Spellsong Cycle (the third book in the series). I have already read "The Soprano Sorceress" and "The Spellsong War" of the same series. I highly recommend them.

I read that a few years ago. It's not difficult at all; rather basic, in fact. If you want to understand how Islamic history feeds into the current politics of the Middle East, you're better off with something like Albert Hourani's "A History of the Arab Peoples", or John Darwin's "After Tamerlane: The Global History of Empire" for a more broad sweep. Lewis is a bit neocon and simplistic in his analysis. There's better stuff out there.

Myself, i'm nearing the end of Robert Fagles' translation of The Odyssey, which is impressive. I'm only reading it in preparation for Ulysses, which is going to be tough. To anyone thinking of tackling it - i've been told it pays to read Dubliners, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and The Odyssey as kind of preparation.

You were right. Simplistic, but not boring. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the state library system to see if perchance some bold librarian has purchased a copy of either. Right now, I'm back to USA-America, and reading Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" and a history of the Great Depression and Roosevelt's recovery programs. In preparation for the next ten years or so, don't you know.

My Reading List at the moment :

Madame Doubtfire by Anne Fine (Research for a project)

GFD by Comicality (Research for a project)

Talking Heads by Alan Benett (Acting monologues are genius)

Future Reading List :

Regeneration by Unknown Author (Novel)

Up The Line To Death (poetry)

Not About Heroes (Play)

Journey's End by R J Sherriff (Play)

Another few good books are "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. Very Dracula Related and very interesting

Another good book is "My Sisters Keeper".

ATM, amongst the many stories I'm reading is one that has truly wrapped itself around my heart. It's got everything you can think of a great story should have and I really want to ask the writer to come join us. It's called Watching Brad by GSDX (Neil) on JustUsBoys.com. I would suggest any and everyone to read it. You'll laugh your bums off and cry like a baby.

You were right. Simplistic, but not boring. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the state library system to see if perchance some bold librarian has purchased a copy of either. Right now, I'm back to USA-America, and reading Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" and a history of the Great Depression and Roosevelt's recovery programs. In preparation for the next ten years or so, don't you know.

LOL! Very appropriate. Perhaps "Liar's Poker" would work too. Financial meltdown of 1980's, isn't too different from the one we are having.

I only read books once in a blue moon.... But since this thread is about books, I was rereading (part of) "Flowers for Algernon" most recently. Before that, I was reading "Mansfield Park." I don't like it..., and have trouble finishing it. Fanny, despite her upbringing, was self-righteous and spoiled. Edmund acted like her servant. She didn't have a pony suitable for a lady, big deal.... I've never had a pony!!! (sour grape)

• 3 weeks later...

Next up after that is the first historical romance I've ever bought, Venetia by Georgette Heyer, hopefully followed by Bridge to Terabithia if I manage to buy it in time.

- dfp

Seeing Heyer on this list is rather exciting. LOL I love Heyer. It's quirky and light, and I love the men. Venetia is one of my favourites.

I just finished "Wicked Gentlemen" by Ginn Hale a few days ago.

I've a pretty long list of things I'm reading. My mood dictates the book, and often I take a stack with me to work. The following books have bookmarks, so I must be reading them. LOL

Cousin Kate - Georgette Heyer

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith

Foundattion - Mercedes Lackey

Sweet Thursday - John Steinbeck

Luna - Julie Ann Peters

Thrush Green - Miss Read

Exiles in America - Christopher Bram

Lisey's Story - Stephen King

Oh I like this post.

So laugh, but at the moment this is my list.

An Echo In the Bone - Diana Gabaldon

Shadows Return - Lynn Flewelling

The Virtu - Sarah Monette

Working for the Devil Series - Lilith Saintcrow

The Enchantment Emporium - Tanya Huff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...