What are you reading?

I've decided to partake in some world literature recently (why? idk... guess i'm trying to culture myself lol) but I found my Korean Folklore and Fairy Tales and i'm thinking about reading the canterbury tales again (forgive me if i'm mispelling that one).

Right now i am reading the 16th Anita Blake Book by Laurell K Hamilton called Blood Noir (its vampires lycans etc) Lots of voilence and sex(straight sex SO SAD! LOL but i love most of the men in the books like Nathaniel :wub: )

it came out May 27th and i got it May 29th and promised myself i wouldnt read it AT ALL until i was up to Laurell K Hamilton's other series character Merry Gentry & that book called Lick Of Frost. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Merry Series titles. They are so cool!

I jump from both series now in between editing this story i am writing. Each time i edit it it gets shorter and shorter and i think of all cool new ideas LOL.

Online Stories i have read this month are:

Moving On by Jack Frost

Someday Out Of The Blue by Littlebuddhatw?

Bleeding Hearts by Josh ummm i forget the last name but found it on nifty.

Street Life by Graeme

it is nothing for me to have 3 to 4 stories/books on the go. Especially books i bought if i find the plot gets boring i will switch books until that book gets boring then i will go back to the 1 i was reading before.

I have like the hardest time getting INTO books if im not into it from the beginning then i never will be. Thats been my problem lately i will click on a online book because it sounds really good then start it and within the first 2 or 3 chapters it will just get weird or turn into something rather CREEPY!!!! and i spend 5 minutes closing the page and going ICK ICK ICK!!!!!!

Let's see, I've taken to reading a few different things.

I'm finally finishing the anthology called "Many Bloody Returns." It's a good book with some of our favorite vampire writers with a good amount of stories. It's fasinating. I've also finished re reading 'For the love.' Loved it as always.

Everyone, I have your suggestions on my list to read. And I can't believe that I forgot about my own thread. T.T

I just finished Eighty-Sixed by David B. Feinberg. It's funny, and it makes you cry. Great novel about a gay guy in New York City in the 80s.

Oh, sounds like a good read. I'm now reading a few things on the Blair witch project movie. I can't help it. I like the movie.

Flannery O'Connor, The Complete Stories -- a collection of short stores, weird, strange, and amazing.

Terru Pratchett, Making Money -- funny!

Photoshop CS3 Visual QuickStart Guide -- which is being used as the textbook for a course I'm taking at our local community college this summer, Digital Imaging Process and Technique. It was $19.97 with free shipping from amazon.com; a lot better than having to buy the typical college textbook for around $100.00 or more.

Colin B)

If you want a really good read, try JEET by Josh. It will blow you're mind completly. I dare anyone to start reading it and be able to stop. Find Josh at--http://awesomedude.com/josh/

Enjoy.

I tend to read a lot of fantasy novels. Actually, I read them almost exclusively at this point, aside from internet stories. In the last two weeks, I've been reading:

1. Fortune's Fool by Mercedes Lackey. One of her "500 hundred Kingdoms" novels for Luna, this one is about on par with One Good Knight, but she still hasn't hit the bar set by her first book of this series, The Fairy Godmother.

2. The Sharing Knife: Beguilement and Legacy by Lois McMaster Bujold. Meh. WHich is sad, since she's one of my favorite authors.

3. Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner. A relatively new author, this entry is a reimagining of Helen of Troy's earlier years. Pretty good.

4. Big Boned by Meg Cabot. The same woman who wrote The Princess Diary, Ms. Cabot is a master of the ridiculous taken seriously. This is the third book with these characters that she's written, starring an overweight former teenage pop star that has to make it on her own, and solves murder mysteries while trying to make the rent. Start with Size 12 is not Fat!.

5. Smoke and Shadows, Smoke and Mirrors, and Smoke and Ashes by Tanya Huff. Ms. Huff is an extremely funny woman when given her druthers, as this trilogy proves. The central character in these books is a young gay man, a former street kid, who is trying to carve a life for himself away from his vampire ex-lover, and has discovered a discovered a knack for sensing the supernatural. A very cool set of books, especially in the treatment of Tony's sexuality. Its there, and while it gets in the way at times it isn't the central feature of either his character or his interactions with everyone. Just some of them. Tony is at various times the damsel in distress and the sword wielding knight, depending on the situation. Very fun.

I can't even get started on the internet reads. Pretty much everything published on Nifty's high school list over the last week or so.

A Density of Souls, by Christopher Rice.

I'm not "reading" it. I just finished it. In seven hours. It is the best book I have ever read in my entire life. I don't want to say it has "deposed" Poppy Z. Brite's Lost Souls as my all-time favorite, but... well, sorry Poppy, but you'll have to share first place.

Seriously, if you never read anything else in your life, read this. It's been years, and I do mean YEARS, since I've read any book in one sitting other than a Harry Potter book and that's only because I was dying to know what happened for a year in between each one.

I'm not kidding. It was amazing, perfect, pristine, divine, f**king incredible. READ IT. I don't remember the last time I was so... struck by writing.

A Density of Souls, by Christopher Rice.

I'm not "reading" it. I just finished it. In seven hours. It is the best book I have ever read in my entire life. I don't want to say it has "deposed" Poppy Z. Brite's Lost Souls as my all-time favorite, but... well, sorry Poppy, but you'll have to share first place.

Seriously, if you never read anything else in your life, read this. It's been years, and I do mean YEARS, since I've read any book in one sitting other than a Harry Potter book and that's only because I was dying to know what happened for a year in between each one.

I'm not kidding. It was amazing, perfect, pristine, divine, f**king incredible. READ IT. I don't remember the last time I was so... struck by writing.

While not my favorite book anymore, this is a book that changed my life, which I can't off hand apply to any other book.

Particularly for the 15-21 crowd, read this book. Just the poetry is jaw-dropping gorgeous.

I also liked Christopher Rice's third book, Light Before Day.

Currently I'm reading Dean Koontz's From the Corner of His Eye and Mort Castles Cursed Be The Child.

I love both books. The first one is about a boy who loses his eye sight before regaining it. After a while, he looses his eyes all around. It goes through the boys life, all the way until adult hood. It's a creepy story while being utterly sweet.

Now, Cursed Be The Child is the exact opposite. It starts out with a beaten and abused, both physically and mentally, during the Spanish Influenza. She dies with hatred in her mind and a broken heart and mind.

Fast forward some odd years and you'll find a supposedly happy family moving into the house. It goes down hill from there, and ends with a very dark ending. It's a great story. It pulls you in and doesn't let you go, all the while talking about a very sensitive subject.

God Is Dead by Ron Currie Jr.

Pretty self-explanatory what its about. Its a good piece of fiction though. A bit f'ed up at times though.

The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by Anne Rice.

The first in the erotic trilogy. Pretty hot. Some heavy S&M themes but good so far.

Edited by Nerotorb
  • 1 month later...

The Golden Notebook, by Doris Lessing, our latest Nobel laureate. It's alternated between amazing and so-so, but more to the former than the latter. I'm only 2/5ths way through, but I can already kind of see why she got the Nobel. I'll have plenty of time on my 20-hr train ride to Florence to finish it, haha.

The Master and Margarita, because, even though it's not exciting, it's very interesting, and it's Bjork's favorite book -- hence, necessary reading.

I'm currently reading the first book of "His Dark Materials", "The Golden Compass". I started reading it today, and so far so good.

As for Online stories... Well, right now I'm only reading some shorter stories whenever I find one interesting and Changing Lanes by C James.

I'm currently reading the first book of "His Dark Materials", "The Golden Compass". I started reading it today, and so far so good.

As for Online stories... Well, right now I'm only reading some shorter stories whenever I find one interesting and Changing Lanes by C James.

His Dark Materials is pretty great.

I just finished reading the new book in Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga titled Breaking Dawn and it was a fantastic book, just like the others. It threw in some very unexpected twists I never would've imagined, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Principals of Geology by Charles Lyell, 1830.

In this book Charles Lyell expresses a number of very important scientific principals which become highly influential.

Uniformity is the idea that physical laws and properties have remained constant despite the passage of time. Earthquakes, volcanoes and tidal waves are the same forces now as they were a million or a billion years ago. No deities, giant enchanted dragons or evil snakes- simply natural processes and nothing more.

Written and revised in the 1830s, it gives you some idea of the various debates going on in and around the sciences: logic vs the supernatural, observed vs theoretical and scripture vs the sciences. Although the Pope could no longer send inquisitors after wayward scientists that proposed theories that the priests didn't understand, the Church is still a powerful, highly influential and entrenched institution within society.

That series -- and particularly that book -- is fantastic. In my opinion, it's much more ambitious than Harry Potter, with greater strength and scope of vision. Also, since you're a Swede, you won't have to imagine what the northern lights look like, the way I had to... sigh, the difficulties of living down south. :angry:

Principals of Geology by Charles Lyell, 1830.

Charles Darwin was very much influenced by Lyell. The lineage of ideas is certainly interesting.