What are you reading?

My question is, what are you reading? It can be either on the net, or in real life, either is fine.

Please include a link if it's on the net so other who are interested can get to it.

I'll start.

'Witches Night Outs' by Silver Ravenwolf: This is the first book in a series for teens. Yes, I know, I'm 23, but it's a good source for information. It starts out with a girl named Bethany Salem whose boyfriend has died in an accident. She is part of a coven and with their help finds out things about herself and those around her. It's a great series of self discovery and has given me many an idea for my new story.

'Thirteen' by multiple authors. Thirteen short horror storys. It's a good book and includes stories from R.L. Stine, Christopher Pike, D.E. AThkins and Caroline B. Cooney.

For the Love by C James: Yes, I'm reading this, finally. I started it a long time ago, but lost the link to it.

Edit: I forgot to say, go ahead and self pimp your own writings to. Great way to get readers.

Edited by Rose Strailo

Oooh, I love book discussions *rubs hands together eagerly*

Normally, I'm all into writing or reading stories on the internet, but just recently I began reading actual books in real life, well, mostly because it was mandatory for my classes, but they were really good reads!

Two from my literature course:

Music of Chance by Paul Auster- really great story about a drifter, how life is all about timing and a series of events that is ultimately out of your control, and is dependent on which choice you make. Made me cry.

The Road by Cormac MccCarthy- a emotional story about the love between a father and son as they fight to survive among the deadly remains of a post-apocalyptic world, where you can't trust anyone because mankind has reached its lowest point (cannibalism). It also made me cry.

The last book my friend bought me for my birthday, because I requested it, lol. But I'm sure you've heard of it, Hero by Perry Moore. Such a good book. I thought I wouldn't like it because of all the superhero mumbo-jumbo, but it really tied in to the human side of things, like trying to find yourself, where you fit in, who you want to be, AND explores family relations. Made me think and feel a bit sad. And it's a gay book, but the love story, or hint of a love story takes a backseat to the plot, so always like those kind of storylines. I mentioned this book in another post, because damn, I want to discuss this book with people!

Tiffani

For AP Lit: Beloved by Toni Morrison. She is probably the best living American author today. And that's not a exaggeration. Had to write an essay about the book, which came out to be 11 pages. An amazing and disturbing book. Won the 1987 Pulitzer Prize and considered the best of the last 25 years. Read it.

For pleasure: Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski. The strangest book I have ever attempted to read. I will attempt to explain just some of its "eccentricities":

1. Only Revolutions is printed in such a way that both covers appear to be the front of the book. The first page of Hailey's story contains the last several lines of Sam's story, apparently upside down. When you reach that page while reading Sam's story, those lines will appear to be the only right-side-up text on the page.

2. The first letter of each 8 page "section" is larger and bold when compared to the other letters. When the reader puts the single letters together from Hailey's side they spell out "Sam and Hailey and Sam and Hailey..." etc. When read from Sam's side, they spell out "Hailey and Sam and Hailey and Sam..." etc.

3. Each half-page contains exactly 90 words.

4. The publisher recommends the reading of eight pages from one story, then the other, and so on.

5. In addition, every page contains a sidebar with a date and a list of world events that happened between that date and the one which appears on the next page. Dates in Sam's story run from Nov 22, 1863 to Nov 22, 1963, while dates in Hailey's story run from Nov 22, 1963 to Jan 19, 2063. This chronological sidebar, which offers a mosaic of 19th - 21st Century historical quotations, becomes blank after Only Revolutions' own publication date. The diverging point between Sam's line and Hailey's line is set at the date of the John F. Kennedy assassination, November 22, 1963.

For AP Lit: Beloved by Toni Morrison. She is probably the best living American author today. And that's not a exaggeration. Had to write an essay about the book, which came out to be 11 pages. An amazing and disturbing book. Won the 1987 Pulitzer Prize and considered the best of the last 25 years. Read it.

For pleasure: Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski. The strangest book I have ever attempted to read. I will attempt to explain just some of its "eccentricities":

1. Only Revolutions is printed in such a way that both covers appear to be the front of the book. The first page of Hailey's story contains the last several lines of Sam's story, apparently upside down. When you reach that page while reading Sam's story, those lines will appear to be the only right-side-up text on the page.

2. The first letter of each 8 page "section" is larger and bold when compared to the other letters. When the reader puts the single letters together from Hailey's side they spell out "Sam and Hailey and Sam and Hailey..." etc. When read from Sam's side, they spell out "Hailey and Sam and Hailey and Sam..." etc.

3. Each half-page contains exactly 90 words.

4. The publisher recommends the reading of eight pages from one story, then the other, and so on.

5. In addition, every page contains a sidebar with a date and a list of world events that happened between that date and the one which appears on the next page. Dates in Sam's story run from Nov 22, 1863 to Nov 22, 1963, while dates in Hailey's story run from Nov 22, 1963 to Jan 19, 2063. This chronological sidebar, which offers a mosaic of 19th - 21st Century historical quotations, becomes blank after Only Revolutions' own publication date. The diverging point between Sam's line and Hailey's line is set at the date of the John F. Kennedy assassination, November 22, 1963.

Wow, freaky book! Can't wait to read it!! *writes it down*

I also forgot one thing. It can be any book, even course books that help others in some ways.

With that said: "LB Brief: The Little, Brown Handbook, Brief Version" By Jane E Aaron.

This has helped me with not only my own writings but also with the editing jobs I've done. I had to get it for my College Composition 101 class. It cost me some money, but hey, it works.

Internet?

Rich Boy: Growing Pains by dkstories

Book two of the Rich Boy Series. It is an urban fantasy involving mages, demons, elves, dwarves and the likes.

Let's Do It by dkstories

Book four of the DO Over Saga. Highly recommended sci-fiction story about time-travel. :)

Let The Music Play by C James

Dreams and Clipped Wings by Shadowgod

Dark Earth: The Prophecy by TL the Writing Tiger

In The Fish Bowl by Dom Luka

Book two. A must read!

Enjoy! :)

Internet?

Rich Boy: Growing Pains by dkstories

Book two of the Rich Boy Series. It is an urban fantasy involving mages, demons, elves, dwarves and the likes.

Let's Do It by dkstories

Book four of the DO Over Saga. Highly recommended sci-fiction story about time-travel. :)

Let The Music Play by C James

Dreams and Clipped Wings by Shadowgod

Dark Earth: The Prophecy by TL the Writing Tiger

In The Fish Bowl by Dom Luka

Book two. A must read!

Enjoy! :)

Those are all must read stories. I still have not gotten around to Rick Boy's Awakening (the first one). Right now I am working on Tiff's story "Jumping Over My Mountain". I love it so far. :D

Those are all must read stories. I still have not gotten around to Rick Boy's Awakening (the first one). Right now I am working on Tiff's story "Jumping Over My Mountain". I love it so far. :D

B) .......well I haven't even started to read ITFB, too much angst with the Domaholics!! :P

But I am reading;

My Only Escape - Comsie

A Class By Himself - Comsie

A Horse Named Phil - Driver

Anything We Want Paul - Driver

Darkfall - Grasshopper

The Power Within - Dewey

Duck Duck Goose - Cole Parker

Outside The Foul Lines - Rick Beck

One Moonlight Night - Steven Keiths

Moving On - Jack Frost

Desert Fantasies - Jack Scribe

Let The Music Play - CJames

Cross Currents - Adam Phillips

Not Entirely Alone By Myself - Bywritebymyself

Dreams & Clipped Wings - Shadowgd

Not so much what I'm reading right now, but two books I re-read every few months because they're so rich and inspirational, are Mary Renault's Fire from Heaven and Persian Boy.

In exquisitely rich detail they describe the childhood and life of Alexander the Great, from his tempestuous upbringing by a fiery mother and adulterous father, to his growing love for Hephaestion, the son of a senior noble, and the way they become inseparable and how their love is respected by some, and regarded jealously by others.

In Persian Boy the scene moves to the court of the Persian King Darius II, written through the eyes of Bagoas, a court eunuch originally taken from his home when his father's fort was attacked by a traitor. It follows how Alexander challenges, overcomes, and chases Darius and his armies until eventually Bagoas is given to Alexander in a surrender offering by one of Darius's nobles.

From that day on it details Bagoas and Alexander slowly but inevitably falling in love as Alexander continues his conquest of Asia. The depth of love and loyalty intertwined with accurate historical context, the counterpointing with Alexander and Hephaestion's continuing relationship, and the richness of the lovingly described events, make the story incredibly inspirational.

What I find so... incredible... about the story is it is based around historical records. Alexander and Hephaestion's close relationship is well-documented, and although Bagoas was 'just' a eunuch, he is also reported kissing Alexander passionately in front of large crowds at a major event in south Asia. Considering Alexander's known character it is pretty clear Mary Renault has probably got very close to the truth.

It ends with Hephaestion's death and Alexander's great grief at his loss, the extraordinary funeral pyre, and then shortly after with Alexander's own slow demise through some kind of infection.

First time I read it, I wanted to be Bagoas... second time, Alexander, now, my laptop is named Hephaestion!

Tris.

Edited by Tristan Jaimes
Wow, freaky book! Can't wait to read it!! *writes it down*

Oh, you have no idea.

But fair warning, this novel is not for everyone

New york Times Review of Only Revolutions:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C1A9609C8B63

This is the website of the book. While you won't find what it's about, you'll get the same sense that the book gives you:

http://www.onlyrevolutions.com/

Edited by Nerotorb
Oh, you have no idea.

But fair warning, this novel is not for everyone

New york Times Review of Only Revolutions:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C1A9609C8B63

This is the website of the book. While you won't find what it's about, you'll get the same sense that the book gives you:

http://www.onlyrevolutions.com/

I wouldn't doubt it. Thank you for the links, they helped me decide if I wanted to read or not.

For class: 'Odyssey' by Homer. Pretty much everyone knows the story for this, or at least has heard some of it. It's probably good to read the actual unabridged version, although I'm having a difficult time getting through it. It doesn't read like a book, more like a really long poem.

For pleasure: 'Thin Red Line' by James Jones. I saw the movie a while ago and I loved it. So I decided to read the book, and I'm loving it so far. But I haven't had much time to read it, so my progress is very slow. It's about a company (C Company, I think) in the battle for Guadalcanal in World War II.

Thats kind of a tough question, seeing as I'm really bad for starting to read a book, putting it down, and starting another one. Repeat. Again.

Right now I'm...

In the middle of Eragon. We all seem know who wrote that so I don't have to go looking up how to spell the guy who wrote its name.

About a chapter into Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh, which is really hard to read because in some parts of it everything is spelled like it's said. The book is based in Scotland. I'm not from Scotland.

Just starting The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams, which is the second book in the Hitch-Hikers "trilogy".

A few chapters into Going Postal by Terry Pratchett.

A few chapters into Homicide by David Simon.

And finally, just starting The Coming Storm by Paul Russell.

I usually have two books going at once: one for fun and the other to address my interests.

For fun I'm reading the third book of the The War Against the Chitorr series by David Gerrold A Rage for Revenge. The War Against the Chitorr series is about an alien invasion- not with ships and soldiers but with a tough and aggressive ecology. First came the microorganisms and plagues that killed about 60% of the population. Then came the plants and animals from that ecology and they are hungry. For the first time since the Stone Ages mankind isn't on top of the food chain anymore.

The other track is for fun too but I doubt everyone would think so. I like to read Science and Technology titles. The latest in my stack: Physical Geology by Plummer, McGeary & Carlson. Typically stuff in this pile will be physical sciences, computer languages, databases, etc.

Not so much what I'm reading right now, but two books I re-read every few months because they're so rich and inspirational, are Mary Renault's Fire from Heaven and Persian Boy.

I haven't read those, but I have read her novel The Charioteer, which was a great read. Sadly, the copy I got from my library had the last page missing, so I actually never found out what happened in the end...

The other track is for fun too but I doubt everyone would think so. I like to read Science and Technology titles. The latest in my stack: Physical Geology by Plummer, McGeary & Carlson. Typically stuff in this pile will be physical sciences, computer languages, databases, etc.

You read textbooks for fun? Are you some sort of god? I need to pay you libations.

I'm reading Jean Genet's Querelle for fun. Initially it was because the DVD of the film had a really hot cover. But then the book seems quite interesting in and of itself.

Real Life: Desperation- Stephen King

I LOVE that book.

And there are people out there who actually read school and those long, boring books out there. Right now, I'm going to add (as links to get more details):

A Wiccan Bible by A.J. Drew This turned out to be an enjoyable read, even though most books about Wicca are dry and boring and I end up forcing myself to read them for the necessary information (usually only a page of hand written notes).Not only does it have information, but it also has recipies for oils, incesnse and other useful information. Out of 5 stars, I give it 5 out of 5.

The Ecyclopedia of Witches and Witchcraft by Rosemary Ellen Guiley: I like this because it doesn't just talk about witches and witchecraft, but also anything supernatural. It's a good thing to read if you want a straight forward definition of something.

Just starting The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams, which is the second book in the Hitch-Hikers "trilogy".

A few chapters into Going Postal by Terry Pratchett.

Yay! Go you. Douglas Adams is great. I've got all his Hitchhikers books and I really love the BBC Radio episodes where they were first published. You really should hear the voice of Marvin, the Paranoid Anadroid - I used to go around mimicking it to great laughter when I thought someone was boring :)

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series are really classics of understated British sense of humour, that humourously ironic observational sarcasm which pierces the puffery and plumage of life and really makes you think deep-down about society and prejudice whilst you're actually laughing out loud as yet another realisation of how acute his observations are, hits you.

I have all the Discword series as both printed and audio books, and I must have re-read every one at least 10 times by now, although many I've re-read more than that. Every time I do I discover another strand of observational irony and humour I'd missed previously.

If you like Moist von Lipwig you'll find his adventures in the next novel, Making Money, where he's in charge of the bank, a darker and much different read than the hell-for-leather action of Going Postal. He really becomes a complex and skilful character which gives hope he'll appear more in the future.

I haven't read those, but I have read her novel The Charioteer, which was a great read. Sadly, the copy I got from my library had the last page missing, so I actually never found out what happened in the end...

That is a travesty! I'll dig out my copy and let you have the last page, no one should suffer that kind of cruel and unusual torture :blink:

I'm currently listening to the audio book 'Wind in the Willows' from Free Classic Audio Books and enjoying it more than I ever did the printed version.

You read textbooks for fun? Are you some sort of god?

No- just a dedicated geek.

When you study the sciences, you will quickly discover that many of them overlap. For instance it is difficult to study any science without some basic knowlege of chemistry.

The new science of planetology or the study of planets constantly refers back to the well known benchmarks and baselines of geology. Geology is a relatively weak area for me so it is something that I've been working on.

When you study the sciences, you will quickly discover that many of them overlap. For instance it is difficult to study any science without some basic knowlege of chemistry.

The new science of planetology or the study of planets constantly refers back to the well known benchmarks and baselines of geology. Geology is a relatively weak area for me so it is something that I've been working on.

*hugs* We love geeks. They make such educated statements and help the rest of us become a little bit smarter. Have fun with your studies.

What would be the difference between planetology and astronomy?