Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let the Music Play, Chapter 28

MikeL

First off, Eric, damn I love him :wub: . Not only did we see that he was successful in getting Wilde and Steve together, but his sensitivity towards Wilde's predicament of not wanting to expose his back just proved what a great guy he is. Obviously he is still thinking of how to help Wilde with planning the days off and the trip back to the resort.

As far as Eric's sexuality, I am really noticing the hints you have been placing in the last couple of chapters. I think he might actually have feelings for Wilde and just hasn't found the way to express them as of yet.

Fun chapter. I think CJ has made this Eric a basic good guy to make up for creating the evil Eric in the first series novel.

With good Eric's enjoyment of heterosexual activity by-the-numbers, I don't think he's bi. He's just very tuned-in and accepts diversity.

Jack B)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Moderator

Shortly after I started my current job, I was asked why I wasn't married. I simply told them that I hadn't found the right person. It stopped them from asking anymore questions.

Shortly after I started my current job, I was asked why I wasn't married. I simply told them that I hadn't found the right person. It stopped them from asking anymore questions.

:( .......I still find it a little disturbing that they would ask you that question!

• Site Administrator
Fun chapter. I think CJ has made this Eric a basic good guy to make up for creating the evil Eric in the first series novel.

Jack B)

:angry:

I thought it was a unanimous decision that Eric in FTL was the hero of the story 0:)

Steve B)

(at least in my mind he was :D )

With good Eric's enjoyment of heterosexual activity by-the-numbers, I don't think he's bi. He's just very tuned-in and accepts diversity.

In an effort to lay to rest all these speculations about Eric's sexuality I've created a poll. What better way to decide someone's sexuality? (Surely when you guys were younger you did this same thing to help you decided right? :lol: )

Finally got to read the chapter ... I was hanging out at my fraternity all week. I didn't have any huge reactions to the chapter, except that it was kind of nice to see that Brandon has definitely reached the point where he no longer feels like an outsider - imagine him firing off that rebuke of Helen back in the early days!

As far as Eric's sexuality, I am really noticing the hints you have been placing in the last couple of chapters. I think he might actually have feelings for Wilde and just hasn't found the way to express them as of yet.

Eric, not find a way to express something? I don't think, with his people-reading ability, that will ever be a problem. I also don't think, with his tequila-drinking ability, he'd ever be able to hold a secret like that very long.

I'm still a little suspicious of Eric. I've pointed out before that when he was asked about not having someone steady, he stated that he hadn't found the right person yet. He could have said girl but he didn't.

As I said in the poll and in the last chapter's discussion - when you're surrounded by a mix of sexualities, your language naturally becomes gender-neutral. In the ten days I was at my fraternity (which is about 50/50 queer/straight), I don't think I heard the words "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" once, but I can't tell you how many times I heard the phrases "significant other," "partner," or "special friend." While it's fun to pick apart stories like this for every little detail, I think this one is overkill.

As I said in the poll and in the last chapter's discussion - when you're surrounded by a mix of sexualities, your language naturally becomes gender-neutral.

As I said I very much agree with you on this point but:

In the ten days I was at my fraternity (which is about 50/50 queer/straight), I don't think I heard the words "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" once, but I can't tell you how many times I heard the phrases "significant other," "partner," or "special friend."

I very comfortably and frequently use the phrase "significant other". It's by far my favourite term for this, and I can readily imagine straight people casually and comfortable using it as well. However I really can't imagine a heterosexual person using the term "partner" to describe their significant other (*gasp* I just did it again! See how quickly that phrase leaps to my tongue! :boy: ) and not having it feel very contrived. To me when I hear the word partner (in reference to a romantic partner and not a business partner) I can pretty much only think "same-sex mate". As for the phrase "special friend" I can imagine either a straight or gay person using that one, but to me it wouldn't bring to mind a standard boyfriend/girlfriend. Instead I would most likely either be thinking something akin to a "F*** buddy" or someone with whom they were entering into a romantic relationship with but not quite ready to define it as such (perhaps in the way that people say they are in the "talking" stage).

I'll take your word for it though, and I suppose a big part of it is 1) regional and 2) as you said a case of gay people having had an extreme influence on straight people. I have a ton of GLBT friends and we have a few straight people that frequent our circles; however in that case they are the minority and they usually do use hetero-specific terminology to describe their own relationships (I would speculate in a subconscious effort to accentuate their own straightness since they frequently are mistaken for other GLBTs). As for the straight people with whom I hang out with as a minority...well I'm the minority so while they're overall pleasant and accepting they really have no reason to neutralize their own verbiage of gender specific terms. Anyway, point is I actually can't recall interacting in a very even, 50-50 mix. All my social circles are skewed one way or the other.

Have an awesome day all!

-Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace
  • Site Administrator

As a coincidence, I noticed the word "partner" being used in a couple of news reports I read on the internet today. To me, "partner" is one step beyond boyfriend/girlfriend. It depicts a defacto relationship -- they aren't dating any more, but are an unmarried couple.

I'm loving this thread. :wub:

I can't comment on plot points for the future, but I did want to adress the excelent points on bisexuality;

It's mentioned in the text that Wilde and Steve are doing the after-concert "hook ups" with female fans, just like Jon, Eric, and Zeke. They aren't in any kind of committed relationship with the girls. Therefor, my feeling about what they are doing is that its not cheating; no one is hiding anything from anyone, and they both approve of their "rules". Would an ipen relationship of any kind be my thing? Nope, but that's just me. They are also very new to all this, so their "comfort zone" might be more easily accommodated in this manner. All I can say is, not everything stays the same. :)

Watch out!! Spoilers...

You can keep your cliffs, Steve; that

I don't know about that... Most straight guys seem to have far better gaydar than I do. But then again, so do most inanimate objects.

:boy:

I think it more likely that most straight guys are at least a little homophobic. They are quick to judge someone as gay with only one factor to consider (such as being effeminate or not married). That's not gaydar; that's just a guess. I know several effeminate guys who are definitely straight and a lot of gays who are not effeminate.

I'm loving this thread. :wub:

I can't comment on plot points for the future, but I did want to adress the excelent points on bisexuality;

It's mentioned in the text that Wilde and Steve are doing the after-concert "hook ups" with female fans, just like Jon, Eric, and Zeke. They aren't in any kind of committed relationship with the girls. Therefor, my feeling about what they are doing is that its not cheating; no one is hiding anything from anyone, and they both approve of their "rules". Would an ipen relationship of any kind be my thing? Nope, but that's just me. They are also very new to all this, so their "comfort zone" might be more easily accommodated in this manner. All I can say is, not everything stays the same. :)

Thanks BK!

I loved that line by Eric too. I just had to use it. :lol:

I thought it would be nice if we got to know Gunter at least a little more; he's been pretty much silent since Rome.

Thanks Steve!

BTW, I came very close to naming this chapter "Noodles" and maybe I should have. :)

The Shadowy one is probably out prowling his malevolent precipices. :pickaxe:

BTW, I just realized that the pickax smiley is a rock-climber! Hey, maybe we can use it as a smiley that means "Shadowgod"?

I don't know about that... Most straight guys seem to have far better gaydar than I do. But then again, so do most inanimate objects.

I loved the line too, especially the irony of it. As for your lack of gaydar, maybe you really are shy.

As for the whole sexuality thing, sometimes it's hard to figure out. I happen to think that most people have a certain level of flexibility for the right person. This flexibility can actually supercede dominance of heterosexuality or homosexuality for that matter. Such situations are rare, but they do occur. ;)

As I said I very much agree with you on this point but:

I very comfortably and frequently use the phrase "significant other". It's by far my favourite term for this, and I can readily imagine straight people casually and comfortable using it as well. However I really can't imagine a heterosexual person using the term "partner" to describe their significant other (*gasp* I just did it again! See how quickly that phrase leaps to my tongue! :boy: ) and not having it feel very contrived. To me when I hear the word partner (in reference to a romantic partner and not a business partner) I can pretty much only think "same-sex mate". As for the phrase "special friend" I can imagine either a straight or gay person using that one, but to me it wouldn't bring to mind a standard boyfriend/girlfriend. Instead I would most likely either be thinking something akin to a "F*** buddy" or someone with whom they were entering into a romantic relationship with but not quite ready to define it as such (perhaps in the way that people say they are in the "talking" stage).

To add some details for you:

- My fraternity is coed, and the first fraternity at Brown to have an openly gay president (Cristobal Modesto '95). While 50% is higher than usual, we've always had a decent non-hetero population, so common terms have their own definitions - i.e. "sex" means "two or more people, one or more orgasms."

- "Partner" is actually the most common term used for any type of relationship, mostly because "significant other" is six syllables.

- Indeed, "special friend" is often used mockingly. It's often used when a couple thinks they're being discreet but everyone really knows, or to describe a relationship where one or more of the people involved is/likely will be cheating.

The most fun part is that although we're coed, everyone is called Brother. It makes for really fun situations when Zetes get married to each other, or when (biological) siblings both join.

:lmao:

The most fun part is that although we're coed, everyone is called Brother. It makes for really fun situations when Zetes get married to each other, or when (biological) siblings both join.

:blink:

That sounds confusing!

Lots of insightful comments. I was wondering whether Eric was not being given a bad rap. I mean, he's in a minority of straight people in this story, and he pulls sophomoric pranks, engages in promiscuous immoral sex, is on his way to becoming a drunk. Isn't he going to make the minority of readers who are straight feel bad about themselves?

On a completely different plane, did you notice Vladimir and Dimitri were the first names of the future president and prime minister of Russia? Though the roles are inverted, Vladimir being more of the boss in RL. I really wonder what political statement CJ is making through this story.

Mmmh. I'm not the one to stir controversy, you know me. But it's been almost a whole day since my questioning above post, and no reply. So, do our volume-challenged participants (the PC way to call postwhores) shy away from tackling actual issues or what?

• Site Administrator

Sure, I'll take a stab at these serious questions :D .

Even though they are not the same character, I will compare the Erics in FTL and LTMP. Both Erics are both straight and may have some minor character flaws which only makes them more human. I don't really see CJ offending the straight readers, as I'm sure as new Eric will be as much as a hero as old Eric by the end of the story :2thumbs: . I don't think there is a chance of new Eric becoming a drunk, much the same way I felt old Eric wouldn't become a drug addict.

Actually the more I think about, the more I wonder if CJ may have actually created both characters from the same mold. Possibly their beginnings are different, but their final presentation should be about the same.

As far as Dimitri (Dmitry Medvedev) and Vladimir (Vladimir Putin) goes, it wouldn't really surprise me if CJ knew this all along and was waiting for someone to notice. CJ has a way of weaving in real names into the story without most of us knowing. For all the evil, mean, nasty things that we can expect from our goat friend, one thing is that he is full of surprises.

So Bondwriter, any comment about both Eric's being the Heros of their respective stories :whistle: ?

Steve B)

So Bondwriter, any comment about both Eric's being the Heros of their respective stories :whistle: ?

Steve B)

If you replace hero by "key character to move the plot forward", we can reach an agreement. We can't consider either to be main characters (Eric in FTL disappears for a huge number of chapters) and LTMP's is more prominent, yet not THE main character but ONE OF THE main characters. But they're both essential to the plot.

Sure, I'll take a stab at these serious questions :D .

Even though they are not the same character, I will compare the Erics in FTL and LTMP. Both Erics are both straight and may have some minor character flaws which only makes them more human. I don't really see CJ offending the straight readers, as I'm sure as new Eric will be as much as a hero as old Eric by the end of the story :2thumbs: . I don't think there is a chance of new Eric becoming a drunk, much the same way I felt old Eric wouldn't become a drug addict.

Actually the more I think about, the more I wonder if CJ may have actually created both characters from the same mold. Possibly their beginnings are different, but their final presentation should be about the same.

As far as Dimitri (Dmitry Medvedev) and Vladimir (Vladimir Putin) goes, it wouldn't really surprise me if CJ knew this all along and was waiting for someone to notice. CJ has a way of weaving in real names into the story without most of us knowing. For all the evil, mean, nasty things that we can expect from our goat friend, one thing is that he is full of surprises.

Steve B)

From what I understand, CJ actually started writing LTMP before he started writing FTL. He said that the reason for there being an Eric in both stories was the fact that he could not think of enough new names for the story. I do not have a link for the thread, nor do I have the time to find it, but you can do so if you wish. :P

• Site Administrator
From what I understand, CJ actually started writing LTMP before he started writing FTL. He said that the reason for there being an Eric in both stories was the fact that he could not think of enough new names for the story. I do not have a link for the thread, nor do I have the time to find it, but you can do so if you wish. :P

Nah, I knew that :D . I was just seeing if I could rile Bondwriter up a little. We kinda had fun back and forth when FTL was being posted. I was kinda Eric's biggest fan (with maybe the exception of CJ) and he didn't quite see it that way. It was sort of like you and Sacha's debate on if CJ uses cliffs (which we all know you are 100% correct)

So, there is only a couple of hours till the new chapter is posted. So I'm going to throw out my predictions.

With the relaxation days coming up, I believe that the Shadows won't know about the ban on Tequila for Eric and they will somehow unknowingly procure some for him. This will lead to a whole other situation when he drunkenly outs Steve and Wilde to his band mates and Zeke.

J/S will finalize plans with Dimitri to off Vladimir. At the same time, Vlad will reveal that he knows this and how he plans to sneak off in the night with retirement funds, and all of a sudden J/S and Dimitri will have to change their plans once again to take care of this.

Joe will be in the rehab centre, and will still maintain is anonymity. He will however give us some insight into dear old dad's past.

And finally, I think we will learn some more about Gunter and realize that he is not just the security guard that everyone believes.

See, I don't hope for too much, do I? :P

Steve :P

Nah, I knew that :D . I was just seeing if I could rile Bondwriter up a little. We kinda had fun back and forth when FTL was being posted. I was kinda Eric's biggest fan (with maybe the exception of CJ) and he didn't quite see it that way. It was sort of like you and Sacha's debate on if CJ uses cliffs (which we all know you are 100% correct)

Of course we all know he does. Maybe someday, we can remove Sacha's head from the goat's.... :wacko:

As far as riling Bondwriter, I would prefer not to. He scares me. :lol:

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid!

(I'm a nice guy, though I do not use many smilies, which sometimes makes me "sound" more serious than intended. But yes, I hunt post whores for fun, and when I find one... Well, you don't want to know.)

• Site Administrator

The more I think about it, I think you've got it right :wacko: .

Bondwriter, please accept my sincere apologies :worship: .

And if by chance you have dispatched any of your associates to my general area, could you please call them off.

Thanks,

Steve B)

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid!

(I'm a nice guy, though I do not use many smilies, which sometimes makes me "sound" more serious than intended. But yes, I hunt post whores for fun, and when I find one... Well, you don't want to know.)

Eek! Some might think I'm a postwhore. :wacko: I'm in trouble now.

On a completely different plane, did you notice Vladimir and Dimitri were the first names of the future president and prime minister of Russia? Though the roles are inverted, Vladimir being more of the boss in RL. I really wonder what political statement CJ is making through this story.

Lol! Well, yes. :) Dimitri's background is very, very similar to that of Valdimer Putin; former KGB, though different directorates.

Read into that what you will, but know that I consider Putin to be a tyrant. :) (I'm not saying that Dimitri is, though) Also, if you think some of the events in my story are far-fetched, just look at things like the use of polonium to poison a man in London. Pollonium is produced in nuclear reactors and it's main use has been as the initiator in early nuclear weapons!

For all the evil, mean, nasty things that we can expect from our goat friend, one thing is that he is full of surprises.

What? But I'm sweet and nice, and never do evil things! 0:)

Yep!

Actually, I considered a name change for Eric, be he was already "Eric" in my mind, and so I stayed with what I had. But yes, the first draft of the first eight chapters of LTMP was written a few years ago, before the first draft of FTL, but I re-wrote both. :)

BTW, I forgot to give the name of the new chapter in advance! It's "Preparations"

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..