Larry King - Not the talk show host

• Site Administrator

Tonight I was watching TV, and caught a clip of a segment that aired today on The Ellen Show.

I had not heard of this in any media up till now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QcMEL3_YsVI

Not only am I shocked, but I'm also a little confused on why the national media has not picked up on it. Or maybe they have, and I haven't seen anything.

I'm glad that Ellen decided to speak up on this issue, but in a way it saddens me that it took a gay person to bring it up.

What do you think?

Steve :mellow:

Edited by wildone

The link appears to be broken.

ADDED: Yes the link works now. Thanks.

I don't know what to write. You'd think all the sleazy 24/7 news channels would have jumped all over this. Sadly it would be for all the wrong reasons. So maybe it's best that someone with a little cred in the gay community is talking about it. At least it gives the issue a sense of dignity no matter how outrageous the crime was.

Just last night I was watching, Make Me A Supermodel, on Bravo. One of the contestants, who happens to be best friends with the only openly gay contestant, and who, until now, has always been respectful of his friend's sexuality, was making the most crude comments about gays.

To me that just goes to show that what Ellen had to say was spot on accurate. We let others poke fun at us in ways that should not be acceptable.

It's so sad to think about how far we've come and yet how far we still have to go.

My condolences go out to the families on both sides of this tragedy.

Edited by GaryInMiami
Ummm... for those of us who can't access the internet and have sound at the same time (namely, me) what is the story?

An eighth grader asked a boy to be his valentine and two days later, the kid shot and killed him.

Ellen is an exaple of what all people should strive to be. Not just gays and lesbians, but literally everyone. She has such a positive message, and she deals with difficult issues like this one with class and wisdom. Why the hell can't she be running for president this year??

Elle de Generes takes a few minutes to talk about the murder of a 15-year old kid who was murdered by a guy he asked to be his Valentine. She's quite emotional, and presses voters to take hate crimes into account when casting their ballot.

To me that just goes to show that what Ellen had to say was spot on accurate. We let others poke fun at us in ways that should not be acceptable.

It's so sad to think about how far we've come and yet how far we still have to go.

My condolences go out to the families on both sides of this tragedy.

She was indeed very right on target with her comments over this one. It all starts down with a simple jokes, how often gays are the butt of jokes in stand up comedy, movies, or even on day-to-day basis at work or school? too often.

Hat off to Helen who took the time to speak up about it without making it sounds stupid or anything. and gave some credibility on the matter.

This is the same kid named (Larry) Lawrence, it was also posted under the guns topic.

Glad that she brought this up, not everyone heard of this shooting.

Edited by Drewbie

Tristan, thanks for taking the time and giving of your bandwidth so we could hear this moving message with a bit more clarity.

Sure wish he'd done a mic level check first.

Still, I was able to understand enough of what he said to appreciate that this was a very smart young man who spoke up in a way we can all be proud of.