would of ?

I saw quite often

"would of"

where i would have written "would have"...(i suppose some would of written would of...)

For example i read today "Maybe he should of just stayed in bed that day". I am confused because i see it so often. Is "would of" a correct way to word that ?

It looks strange/wrong to me.

what do you think ?

I saw quite often

"would of"

where i would have written "would have"...(i suppose some would of written would of...)

For example i read today "Maybe he should of just stayed in bed that day". I am confused because i see it so often. Is "would of" a correct way to word that ?

what do you think ?

My understanding is that "would of" and "should of" are corruptions of the contractions "would've" and "should've", which respectively stand for "would have" and "should have". In my mind, "would of" and "should of" are incorrect usage unless the author is intentionally using them to simulate child-like or a less-educated sounding manner of speech.

- dfp

I saw quite often

"would of"

what do you think ?

It's an error. B)

My understanding is that "would of" and "should of" are corruptions of the contractions "would've" and "should've", which respectively stand for "would have" and "should have". In my mind, "would of" and "should of" are incorrect usage unless the author is intentionally using them to simulate child-like or a less-educated sounding manner of speech.

- dfp

That is how i think about it too. I just saw it so often that i became doubtful. Thanks :)

My understanding is that "would of" and "should of" are corruptions of the contractions "would've" and "should've", which respectively stand for "would have" and "should have".

Right, "would've" and "would of" sound the same phonetically, but "would've" is what the person is truly saying.

I saw quite often

"would of"

what do you think ?

EEK! I do not even use that in dialogue. I cannot stand it at all. I am an admitted grammar Nazi though. :P

This is something that I would definitely point out to an author.

Ok, i will.. especially as the one i stumbled over really is a good writer (thats what made me wonder if maybe i am wrong...).

I knew i would get a definitve answer here. Thanks all :)