Talk to Text?

AFriendlyFace

Talk or Text?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to call someone or text them?

• Call
    • Text
    • It depends on the person
    • It depends on what I want to convey
    • It depends on the person and what I want to convey
  2. 2. Which do you do more of overall?

• Call
    • Text

Hey guys,

Simple question, do you prefer to call someone or text them? I just realized that so far today I've received 23 texts and sent 22, and it's not even noon yet! Conversely I've made and received no phone calls.

I know this is a difficult question, because it compares two different things. I mean the sheer # of texts is a good indication of how much one texts, whereas the number of phone calls isn't very informative since you could call one person and talk for hours or make five, two-minute, phone calls. I guess length of time is a better indication.

Of course then you've got to take into consideration things like impersonal phone calls made to business in which you're on hold or going through the automated system. So really use any measure you like to come up with your answer.

Personally, I tend to text on a much more regular basis, but most of the time if it's something important I opt for phone calls. For some things though texting is far superior in my opinion. For example statements or brief things you need to tell someone, or even simple questions.

Also, with some people texting might not be an option. My mom and pretty much all of my immediate family don't text, so that's just not an option.

I voted that it depends on the person and what I want to convey for the first one, and for the second I voted that I text more.

Have a great day all :)

-Kevin

Hey guys,

Simple question, do you prefer to call someone or text them? I just realized that so far today I've received 23 texts and sent 22, and it's not even noon yet! Conversely I've made and received no phone calls.

I know this is a difficult question, because it compares two different things. I mean the sheer # of texts is a good indication of how much one texts, whereas the number of phone calls isn't very informative since you could call one person and talk for hours or make five, two-minute, phone calls. I guess length of time is a better indication.

Of course then you've got to take into consideration things like impersonal phone calls made to business in which you're on hold or going through the automated system. So really use any measure you like to come up with your answer.

Personally, I tend to text on a much more regular basis, but most of the time if it's something important I opt for phone calls. For some things though texting is far superior in my opinion. For example statements or brief things you need to tell someone, or even simple questions.

Also, with some people texting might not be an option. My mom and pretty much all of my immediate family don't text, so that's just not an option.

I voted that it depends on the person and what I want to convey for the first one, and for the second I voted that I text more.

Have a great day all :)

-Kevin

For short things yes texting is great, but if you don't have a phone, that is great for texting or not a fast texter, texting is a pain. longer convo's I'd rather call. also if you text alot, please get an unlimited text plain, or that phone bill is big.

If it's some short messages or just things to inform, I rather text. And it's so much more economical. Btw, how's the bill counted over there? Here for 160 characters or less, you pay for one message- 60 cents. Which is half the price of one-minute call.

I'm not the type to talk on phone for like huge amount. I just get the important message and that's it. OMG. I'm so mechanical!!

Yay for text.

And yeah, the good thing is that you can store the text you like. This way, when you have nothng to do, you can go through them and smile, recalling sweet memories. :) Often, I do that.

Take care,

Ieshwar

If it's some short messages or just things to inform, I rather text. And it's so much more economical. Btw, how's the bill counted over there? Here for 160 characters or less, you pay for one message- 60 cents. Which is half the price of one-minute call.

The plan I have is unlimited. Which means I pay $9.99 a month and it doesn't matter how many or how few texts I send or how long or short they are.

I think ten cents a text is pretty standard if you don't have a plan like that though. I believe there is a character limit for that one...not sure what it is though, quite possibly 160.

And yeah, the good thing is that you can store the text you like. This way, when you have nothng to do, you can go through them and smile, recalling sweet memories. :) Often, I do that.

Yes, that is fun to do :)

I can't do that anymore though :(

My phone automatically deletes texts that are more than 5 days old. I can increase the time period or stop it altogether...but if I do that the phone doesn't work as well. It freezes up, and aspects related to both talk and text get all funky. It seems to be unrelated, at least directly, to storage since it looks like I have plenty. But, nevertheless the more texts I have the more likely the phone is to get funky. If I have it set to delete them after more than 5 days (or cancel it altogether) it gets full too quickly and acts weird. I guess I could take the setting off and try to be really diligent about deleting messages...but I'm too lazy for that :P

I definitely prefer calls. I do like instant messaging though. I cannot live w/o it. :D

Well, I used to like IM, but over the last couple of years I've pretty much stopped.

I only get on messengers for very specific reasons nowadays, and usually only if someone asks me too.

Email is an also a phenomenally bad way to reach me!

Business : normally text (Email, because you get an immediate answer) and you keep a written trace.

Private : normally call, because it's more fun than duty and I like teasing :P .

There's a business maxim that applies equally to personal communications: reprimand in person - congratulate in writing.

Telephone calls for something negative, like telling someone off or being angry.

Email or text or (gasp!) letter for something positive like congratulations or encouragement or admiration.

VoIP/telephone (especially video-phone) is better for real-time interactive discussions where tone of voice, inflections and facial expressions are as valuable as the words.

I prefer email for saying something meaningful and memorable. IRC/instant messenger (IM) for interactive and brain-storming where participants don't need to pay 100% attention to the communication itself. SMS for short statements like confirming ETAs when meeting friends - I don't like SMS for holding ongoing conversations.

I prefer voice and video for talking to friends since all the focus is on the conversation, unlike with IM or other forms where people are likely chatting to several others as well as doing other things. Waiting for the other person to reply is so annoying and, I think, often shows a lack of respect.

Kevin: for someone who spends so much time writing in forums I'm surprised you don't like email.

• Site Administrator

I'm not a technophile, so I was slow to get involved with texting. As a consequence, I rarely text -- it's usually in response to a text message I've received. Otherwise, I'll call or email. As has been indicated above, the major problem is that I'm not a fast texter, and I like my texts to be spelt correctly, which is a little painful....

I mainly text. It really depends on the person and the topic or reason for the contacting of the person. With my plan, I have 1500 texts a month, and that includes texts that I send and texts that are sent to me. Last month I was real close to my limit. I had 1483 texts last month.

I picked both of the last options. I hate talking to people over the phone, not to mention that I often can't hear them because of background noise or poor reception. Texting is easier to do, particularly on my enV (clamshell phone with full QWERTY keyboard on the inside). I don't personally text a lot, but I had to get a basic texting plan ever since my cousin somehow managed to get my number. She texts about 250 times a day, and my plan is 250 for a month, both sending and receiving. Her parents found it easier to get the $10 per month unlimited plan, whereas I picked the $5 basic 250 plan since I won't use that many texts in a month.

I don't like texting for conversations, but apparently my cousin likes have six text conversations going at once.

Who calls anymore? Honestly. Earlier today my best friend told me that he needed to talk to me but couldnt at the time. A little later he texted me that he was thinking of breaking up with his girlfriend but he wasnt sure and why and I texted back what I thought. Altogether, 4 texts.

I think texting is the wave of the future :D More and more people are into texting, because it's more impersonal, and for some people you don't know too well, it's easier to text than to talk on the phone.

That's why I picked it depends on who the person is that I'm trying to contact. If it's my parents, or someone who I must talk with urgently, then a phone call is obviously quicker and more effiecient.

Plus, as a student, texting is convenient. I can do it during lecture, or if someone wants to ask me to hang out after class, they can text and I can reply instantly. With a phone, well, I'd have to step out of the room and all that stuff. However, I try not to go too overboard with the texts. I have unlimited with the same network users, but limited out-texting and that kills me.

I really like email communication. Then text. I can stop and take breaks. With the phone, I have to give my undivided attention. And depending on the person, you don't always want to give your undivided attention! :D

I voted depends on person and text.

The depends is because of the fact that I have many people that I don't want to speak with because we end up only talking for a moment for a question while others I talk longer with others.

And I text more often because it's cheaper then talking on the phone.

I prefer voice and video for talking to friends since all the focus is on the conversation, unlike with IM or other forms where people are likely chatting to several others as well as doing other things. Waiting for the other person to reply is so annoying and, I think, often shows a lack of respect.

I agree. In fact one of the main reasons I rarely IM anymore is because I got tired of waiting for replies. I admit that when I do IM I expect the person to respond fairly quickly. If he/she doesn't I usually feel like I'm wasting my time talking to them and if I'm not going to have an actual conversation, I'd usually prefer to shut the messenger off and completely focus on whatever else I might be doing. I actually do enjoy "intense" IM conversations (even about casual stuff :P ), but if the person takes more than about 30 seconds to a minute to reply (or at least for it to notify me that they're typing a response), I usually start to feel like it's time to end the conversation. I realize that this is a highly demanding and probably atypical way to view IM. Thus, I realize and acknowledge that in all likelihood the person isn't trying to disrespect me and means no offense. I don't take it personally or anything. Nevertheless, I just don't want to do it if I'm not going to get prompt responses.

Kevin: for someone who spends so much time writing in forums I'm surprised you don't like email.

Most people are, but believe me I can go weeks (or longer) without checking my email. The only thing I like to use email for is to send and receive documents, pictures, etc. As an actual means of communication I can't stand it and don't think to use it. A good friend of mine likes email. One afternoon he insisted (well he didn't insist be kept doing it and then telling me to check my email) on corresponding with me via email. We weren't sending or receiving anything. It drove me crazy! The next time I saw him I told him, "I don't like email, please just call or text me." Really it didn't make sense to me at all. He's a very proficient texter, everything he was emailing me could have been texted almost as quickly, and I almost always have my phone near me, I'm usually not logged into my email, and even if I am, I'm not checking it obsessively.

I do like PMs though, as well as any other internal communication a site or program might have. Having to have a separate browser open to my email - and remembering to check it - is just one more thing I don't really want to do.

I don't like texting for conversations, but apparently my cousin likes have six text conversations going at once.

It can be very convenient. Anytime you're waiting anywhere you can use the opportunity to catch up with your friends. Even if they can't read it and respond right away most people appreciate getting a message, especially if it's something nice and friendly, so it's like a way of saying, "hey, I'm thinking of you". To me it's an ideal way to maximize my time. Instead of waiting I'm strengthening and maintaining bonds :)

It's also a lot more person than phone conversations. I've always been the sort of person that liked to be alone when I was on phone. Again it mostly comes down to an attention thing. Anytime I'm communicating with someone I want to give and receive full attention, so I don't want to be distracted by other people talking, and I don't particularly want them "up in my business", so texts are just more private and intimate. Wherever you are you can carve out a little cocoon for just you and the other person :)

I almost never uses Txt for the simple reason that in my cell plans, it's completely horrible and way too expensive for me to send text. I'll simply make the phone call.

Now, if I'm at home,, I'll also call, but I'll IMs much more. I can't do without my IMs.

I almost never uses Txt for the simple reason that in my cell plans, it's completely horrible and way too expensive for me to send text. I'll simply make the phone call.

Now, if I'm at home,, I'll also call, but I'll IMs much more. I can't do without my IMs.

OMG, if it wasn't for IMs, I'd never talk to half of my friends, lol. Also it's more efficient I can talk to many friends at once. :lol: I do use IMs a fair bit because sometimes I just need to ask one question and don't need to go through all the formalities of a phone call. Although the chance for miscommunication is higher on texts since the messages tend to be short.

Edited by scoopny

OMG, if it wasn't for IMs, I'd never talk to half of my friends, lol. Also it's more efficient I can talk to many friends at once. :lol: I do use IMs a fair bit because sometimes I just need to ask one question and don't need to go through all the formalities of a phone call. Although the chance for miscommunication is higher on texts since the messages tend to be short.

I do not remember how communication was possible before instant messaging. It is wonderful. :wub:

LOL, well I live just fine with very little IM-ing in my life. :boy:

I can live without my phone, and have been doing so for the past two weeks, but I can't live without my IM. I once went a week without my computer and IM services. I snarled at everyone.

Like I said, can live without the phone, not my IM. It's just easier in the long run for me to type things out then it is to say it or to text it. Or at least for me.