third vs first person

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Administrator
That is the case with the story I'm working on. It is psychological, and I need the prism of thoughts and emotions. That is why I chose 1st. :)

:lol: And that is the reason that the novel I'm currently working on is in first person, too :D

I don't think I've written anything in first-person—maybe one or two stories, but I'm willing to bet they never made it past a few paragraphs. I still remember my very first story—a crappy rip-off of the Tomb Raider video games—and it was written in third-person. For me, I find third-person view much more comfortable, which may in part be because most of the fiction I've read has been in third-person.

However, I've been really itching to try first-person for once. I have a few story ideas that I think first-person would be perfect for. However, I'm almost afraid to try it out, because I've never done it before—but on the other hand, most of my stories seem to be third-person limited: the view points may change in another chapter, but they seem limited. So I guess maybe I will find it more comfortable. First-person, to me, has always had one advantage: the personality and humor that can be put directly into the narrative, and the descriptions of what a character goes through is much stronger. That's why I've been itching to write it.

I have written in both styles and intend to continue writing and experimenting with both styles. Personally, though, I find the third person comfortable. The one that I am doing Alpha and Omega in.

Don't ask me how, but the story I intend to write itself tells me if it wants to be written in first person or third. Or I think it is my muse telling me? :unsure:

:lol:

BeaStKid

Don't ask me how, but the story I intend to write itself tells me if it wants to be written in first person or third. Or I think it is my muse telling me? :unsure:

BeaStKid

I hope that it isn't the same muse as the one in C James' short story!!

:(

Kit

I hope that it isn't the same muse as the one in C James' short story!!

:(

Kit

Well, it is not that....Er...violent...but I have been known to have scratch marks Beast (my muse) gives me when I do not do anything that he wants me to do.......

Ow!

See...

BeaStKid

• 3 weeks later...

My novel that its currently being edited by my friend's father is told from a 1st person point of view. I personally think that writing from a 1st person point of view restricts the amount of suspense as compared to writing from a 3rd person point of view. Still, it's one of the easiest and most common POV there is. You just have to amplify your protagonist's personality when you write from a 1st person point of view, haha.

I personally think that writing from a 1st person point of view restricts the amount of suspense as compared to writing from a 3rd person point of view.

What makes you say that? It isn't my experience.

I find that in 1st person the information the reader gets is more restricted because the reader can only know what the protagonist knows. That limited knowledge can be much more suspenseful and mysterious. Wandering around a dark house with just a torch is more suspenseful than wandering around with all the lights on, and 1st person perspective can be like pointing a torch.

By determining what the protagonist finds out, the author can feed informationto the reader in a controlled way that builds suspense by making the reader wonder what is going on. Of course, you can also do that with limited 3rd person, but I don't see how restricted suspense would be one of the disadvantages of 1st person.

Kit

• 1 month later...

Sooo im now doing something brave and risky. Its 1st person. So far its 1 characters view of there world. BUT as the story progresses im tempted to throw in the views of other people whether it jump as 3rd of someone else gets there own view. I've been doing this as different fonts for different people its complicated. But i have 3 really complex characters who are screaming at me IM THE STAR! sort of deal.

For Complex: I have this teenage boy who gets brutally attacked and nearly dies and there best friend is the 1 who attacks them. I have there mother struggling to get a job,thinking her life is falling apart,her nasty sister reminds her daily. I have this funny old grandmother. The nasty sisters husband MIGHT be this kids actual father. Or it could be another 1 of my characters. its so fun!

1 book im currently reading has 3 women and each chapter is 1 of the women talking and it will say something that you know who it is talking. I think its sooo cool that i am reading this book now and thats how my story was going before i even picked up this book. So far how the author has been doing it hasnt confused me at all.

As my own story progress's i will just have to decide which is best for it and worse case scenerio go back and write the scenes either in 1st or 3rd. But im going to see how it goes and have fun along the way with it maybe i will keep it just how it is.