Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let the Music Play, Chapter 37

B) ........Receipes are welcomed! The fire in the sky could be a wayward missile hitting the oncoming F-16's. Silly Gary, the boys are going to survive!

hmm, definitely marinade in olive oil, garlic, thyme, parsley, piment, maybe some fresh ginger ... and then have a nice salad and green beans (with bacon and tomato sauce) and potatoes on the side :)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, definitely marinade in olive oil, garlic, thyme, parsley, piment, maybe some fresh ginger ... and then have a nice salad and green beans (with bacon and tomato sauce) and potatoes on the side :)

:great: .......Except the for the bacon!!! <_<

OK, Mike. I like a good challenge.

The fire above is the plane exploding in a fireball as all the missile hit their target. The fire below is when The Scar sets off his next nuclear device.

The fire above is the missiles exploding on contact with the geese. The fire below is shower of sparks from the wheels up landing at the Vegas airport. There.

I thought the challenge you were savoring was figuring out the reason for the uneven V formation.

I thought the challenge you were savoring was figuring out the reason for the uneven V formation.

I think thats because of the wind / wind direction in relation to where they are heading... they try to save energy in the slipstream... :P

B) ......Well I tried to find the answer...but only got this

"Many of the larger birds fly in flocks. Flying in flocks helps in reducing the energy needed. Many large birds fly in a V-formation and individual energy savings have been estimated in the range 12

I think thats because of the wind / wind direction in relation to where they are heading... they try to save energy in the slipstream... :P

I don't know. That doesn't sound right to me. I may just not understand the dynamics.

B) ......Well I tried to find the answer...but only got this

"Many of the larger birds fly in flocks. Flying in flocks helps in reducing the energy needed. Many large birds fly in a V-formation and individual energy savings have been estimated in the range 12

Speaking of geese. Here is my stupid theory about the resolution at least as far as the plane is concerned. It would be rather funny if by happenstance a flock of geese passed between the F-15 fighter and the biz jet. The radar signature of the flock is big enough for the radar to lock on to them instead of the plane. As a result the missiles home in on the geese. The missiles then explode since they have proximity detonators tearing the flock to pieces. Meanwhile the biz jet continues to lose altitude until it falls off of the F-15's radar which considering they are at 1,000 feet is entirely plausible especially since the F-15 is 20 miles out in mountainous terrain. This would turn out to be an interesting scenario considering that they were meant to crash with goose blood on the plane to make it appear to be accidental, but it turns out that a flock of geese saved their lives.

As I said, its a dumb theory, but I thought I'd throw it out there regardless.

Speaking of geese. Here is my stupid theory about the resolution at least as far as the plane is concerned. It would be rather funny if by happenstance a flock of geese passed between the F-15 fighter and the biz jet. The radar signature of the flock is big enough for the radar to lock on to them instead of the plane. As a result the missiles home in on the geese. The missiles then explode since they have proximity detonators tearing the flock to pieces. Meanwhile the biz jet continues to lose altitude until it falls off of the F-15's radar which considering they are at 1,000 feet is entirely plausible especially since the F-15 is 20 miles out in mountainous terrain. This would turn out to be an interesting scenario considering that they were meant to crash with goose blood on the plane to make it appear to be accidental, but it turns out that a flock of geese saved their lives.

B) ......Your the 2nd one to pick the Canadian geese as saviors!! :P

Ok, Mike, I'll see if I can answer your geese formation question...

First, we need to look at the reason why geese fly in a V (as do many other migratory species). In general, they do it for efficiency; the following geese get a little bit of assistance from the wake turbulence of the ones before. The lead goose has to work harder, so they often rotate the lead, it's not always the same goose.

That much I know, but, as for why the uneven V, all i can do is theorize, I don't know for certain. are we certain that they never fly in an even V? What I'm thinking is this; if there is no benifit to flying in an even V, why would they? As the birds joined up, the V would, per random chance, usually but not always be uneven. This might also occur when they are rotating the lead. Just a guess.

Speaking of Geese, what do y'all think of Dimitri's goose plan? Think what you will of him, but Dimitri is clever. Its sadly all too common for investegators (for anything) to latch onto the first clue, form a theory, and dedicate themselves to it. This is atrocious procedure (and totally goes against proper investigative method) but I've seen it over and over, including in Aircraft crash investigations. I'd say Dimitri had good reason to think it likely that his goose stunt would work; a cursory investigation into a fatal crash (due to the authorities having much else on their minds) would make it a near certainty IMHO.

If you recall, Dimitri brought down that Russian airliner early in the story, also making it look like an accident. In that case, a small explosive charge on a wing spar did the trick, with the plane coming down in deep water.

And won't anyone join me in pressuring Shadowgod to resume his throne? Please? :)

I don't think that's so dumb. In fact, it would be a very reasonable variation on my scenario. Bravo.

Being saved by geese is the irony I visualized. A further irony would be in the fighter pilot who tried to down Instinct's plane being the one to talk Brandon through a landing.

Edited by MikeL
  • Site Administrator
And won't anyone join me in pressuring Shadowgod to resume his throne? Please? :)

Okay CJ, you convinced me :D !!

Oh great and mighty Shadowgod, would you please take your place upon the throne so CJ can release Chapter 38.

Wait, what exactly is the definition of a throne????

Well let me help:

Noun

Singular

throne

Plural

thrones

throne (plural thrones)

1. The ornate seat a King or Queen sits on for formal occasions, usually placed on a raised dais in the throne room.
    • He approached the throne reverently.

[*](colloquial) The lavatory or toilet.

• She's on the throne.

[*](Biblical tradition) The third highest order of angel in Christian angelology, ranked above minions and below cherubim.

[*](music) A type of stool used by drummers

May I strongly suggest items 2, 3, or 4 :lol: !

Just think, if you put yourself on option number 4, you can jam with Instinct after they get out of their current pickle.

Now, when I read your stories, their very angelic, so I guess you can take your place in #3.

Lastly, could you force yourself to go to the bathroom, and then CJ will have no option but to post the next chapter. :blink:

Meh. The goat is confused. This is Monday night. Where is Chapter 38? You're supposed to release new chapters every Monday night!

Gary, it's only Wednesday. :lmao:

Ok, Mike, I'll see if I can answer your geese formation question...

First, we need to look at the reason why geese fly in a V (as do many other migratory species). In general, they do it for efficiency; the following geese get a little bit of assistance from the wake turbulence of the ones before. The lead goose has to work harder, so they often rotate the lead, it's not always the same goose.

That much I know, but, as for why the uneven V, all i can do is theorize, I don't know for certain. are we certain that they never fly in an even V? What I'm thinking is this; if there is no benifit to flying in an even V, why would they? As the birds joined up, the V would, per random chance, usually but not always be uneven. This might also occur when they are rotating the lead. Just a guess.

That's an interesting theory, CJ. I understand that geese do change the lead and the leader has the most difficult position. The trailing geese get some drafting effect from the V formation, but the leader is out front on his own. Also, all that honking is supposed to encourage the lead goose to tough it out and keep flying.

Your guess, however, has missed the mark. There's a specific reason why geese usually (but perhaps not always) fly in an uneven V formation. Someone will figure it out.

• Site Administrator
Your guess, however, has missed the mark. There's a specific reason why geese usually (but perhaps not always) fly in an uneven V formation. Someone will figure it out.

I'll go with the simple answer then, there is more geese on one side than the other :D

• Site Administrator
There's a specific reason why geese usually (but perhaps not always) fly in an uneven V formation. Someone will figure it out.

There is a simple answer, but it doesn't explain it fully.

Geese can't count. Random distribution between the two wings of the V results in the pattern we see, but it is unlikely to distribute them evenly, so one side is usually lopsided.

How this helps work out what's going to happen in chapter 38, I don't know, but I hope it helps.... :blink:

Speaking of geese, have you ever noticed that the V-formation geese use on their migratory flight is never quite a perfect "V". One side of the V is always shorter than the other. Anyone know why that is?

We have a winner! Hats04.gif

I'll go with the simple answer then, there is more geese on one side than the other :D

Congratulations, Wildone! The reason one side of the V is shorter than the other is that it has fewer geese in it.

Thanks to all who participated.

Wildone's prize is up to CJ. I would suggest an early release of Chapter 38.

126562~Silhouetted-Canada-Geese-Flying-in-Formation-at-Twilight-Posters.jpg

• Site Administrator

So CJ hasn't posted the chapter as of yet, so my guess must have been wrong :( .

I figure that possibly that my solution may take care of the immediate danger of the Sparrow missiles, but there is also the threats of the Stingers, the approaching F16's, and the fact that they are in a basically disabled airplane, with little to no chance of landing safely.

Any other ideas that possibly can address any of these situations? :blink:

We have a winner! Hats04.gif

Congratulations, Wildone! The reason one side of the V is shorter than the other is that it has fewer geese in it.

Thanks to all who participated.

Wildone's prize is up to CJ. I would suggest an early release of Chapter 38.

126562~Silhouetted-Canada-Geese-Flying-in-Formation-at-Twilight-Posters.jpg

Awww i was gonna go with missing goose formation. You think they would honor their dead (goose fat and blood) in such a fashion...

So CJ hasn't posted the chapter as of yet, so my guess must have been wrong :( .

I figure that possibly that my solution may take care of the immediate danger of the Sparrow missiles, but there is also the threats of the Stingers, the approaching F16's, and the fact that they are in a basically disabled airplane, with little to no chance of landing safely.

Any other ideas that possibly can address any of these situations? :blink:

OK, a breif summary of the cliffhanger that needs to be resolved;

The first problem is the four inbound missiles. However, even without those, they still have a few slight problems; two F-15's with Sidewinders boring in, ready to fire the second it looks like the Sparrows miss. (and the AiM 9 Sidewinder has a darn high success rate) or, the four f-16's ahead, armed with slammers (AMMRAMS, AIM 120's, the world's most effective air-to-air missle).

And if they somehow get away from those, there remains the slight difficulty that their plane is crippled. That broken rudder cable makes landing exceedingly hard for a trained pilot, and their pilot is dead. There are also no parachutes aboard, and any kind of air-to-air transfer is unrealistic, confined to the realms of bad movies.

So, that's the cliffhanger that needs resolving. It is resolved in 38. Of course, it might be the simplest resolution: the missiles hit, blowing them all to bits. But, it is resolved. :)

BTW, bear in mind that I COULD have had 38 focus on some of the sub-plots, and not get to the issue of Instict at all. However, i didn;t: Unlike Shadowgod, I'm not cruel. :)

Awww i was gonna go with missing goose formation. You think they would honor their dead (goose fat and blood) in such a fashion...

Ahhh, Your Shadowyness! Good to see you, but I must say Im shocked and saddened that you haven't returned to your throne and thus give us the posting of LTMP 38?

Oh, I do feel a need to mention that LTMP 37 is in part a homage to Shadowgod's immortal Living In Surreality Ch 26: LiS 26 is, truly, the Mother of All Cliffhangers. :worship:

One of the ways LTMP 37 is a homage to LiS 26 is that the elipsis at the end was copy-and-pasted from LiS 26. I don't want to give any spoilers for LiS 26 here (If you haven't read Living in Surreality, it's complete and superb: it also won GA's Story of the YEar award.) However, LiS 26 is the ultimate cliffhanger, so of course I pay homage to it. :worship: and for this reason I also seek to return Shadowgod to his rightful place on his Cliffhanging throne, so he can once again survey his natural realm; the malevolent precipices of eeevil cliffhangers.

:)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..