If you wanted to sleep with him......

I don't know what to make of it. Throughout the ad it sure seemed gay-friendly. But then at the end the gay-friendliness of it sure seemed to be in question. I expected something better from a company like Virgin.

I don't know what to make of it. Throughout the ad it sure seemed gay-friendly. But then at the end the gay-friendliness of it sure seemed to be in question. I expected something better from a company like Virgin.

I don't know, they are being snobbish more than anything. I've seen that ad before but can't remember where the hell I was. don't think it was on tv, must have been travelling somewhere. but it does portray some of what people feel flying all crammed in with strangers for hours and hours where there is no room to rest.

I quite liked the whole, if you wanted to sleep with him you would have married him, idea as a gimmick.

celia

I quite liked the whole, if you wanted to sleep with him you would have married him, idea as a gimmick.

Ugh. I know this is going to seem so shallow and superficial. Why did one of the guys have to be so obviously ugly in addition to disgusting with that pot belly always hanging out? Couldn't Virgin have used two good looking guys? Yes I know, the contrast is what was at the heart of the ad. Still...

Ugh. I know this is going to seem so shallow and superficial. Why did one of the guys have to be so obviously ugly in addition to disgusting with that pot belly always hanging out? Couldn't Virgin have used two good looking guys? Yes I know, the contrast is what was at the heart of the ad. Still...

I suppose they were going for humour.

but I get what you mean I think :):P

and don't you think it may have come across as less-gayfriendly if they had used 2 goodlooking guys. whereas here they have the excuse that they were mismatched. and thats the joke (fear) of flying, that you will end up next to someone who will annoy you all the flight, or take up half your seat as well as theirs, or smell, or kids that cry the whole time or kick your seat.

EDIT: Its also taking the mic out of romance films/stories, I think english ones with that lake and the tree etc, it even reminds me of The Vicar of Dibley as they had a scene abit like that with a goodlooking guy (well depends on your taste) and Dawn French who is large (but pretty) women. Its a really good english comedy I recomend it to all. here is that clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpBTVilhzY...feature=related

these are 2 of my favourite bits from the show: (this is about the guy she is engaged to)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5dzvE7YMpA...feature=related

and this is the vicar drunk one xmas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzM8fZdmLk8...feature=related

enjoy

celia

Edited by Smarties
I suppose they were going for humour.

but I get what you mean I think :):P

and don't you think it may have come across as less-gayfriendly if they had used 2 goodlooking guys. whereas here they have the excuse that they were mismatched. and thats the joke (fear) of flying, that you will end up next to someone who will annoy you all the flight, or take up half your seat as well as theirs, or smell, or kids that cry the whole time or kick your seat.

celia

Sure I understand that. That's why I commented about the contrast being at the heart of the ad. :)

Really, don't pay any attention to me today. I'm reading a sad/tragic story today for one of my favorite authors, I'm very emotionally invested in the characters, and it's affecting my whole mood. I've had almost four quarts of rice pudding today just to keep myself under control. I'll have to work all that off this week, LOL.

Because, among other things (humour being a part of the equation) having it be two good looking guys would have been offensive. The reason it wasn't offensive, IMO, is because it was obviously a joke. It was a very unlikely pairing and it was played up and presented in a cheesy way.

If they had presented two guys that looked like they might really be a couple, presented their 'romance' in non-hyperbolic ways, and THEN turned it around at the end...well that would have been offensive. That would have been saying that despite the guys seeming well-matched and having what looked like meaningful encounters/experiences it was still ridiculous to assume that they were a couple.

I wouldn't have appreciated that at all. This, on the other hand, was clearly a joke about people being an unlikely pair. The more disgusting and socially inept one of the people was, and the more ridiculous their romance, the less offensive it becomes.