[Duncan Ryder] How The Light Gets In - 4

Sorry, maybe I should have clarified. I didn't mean that

Ben or Ry

is you, specifically, in terms of exact circumstances or true-life stories or anything. I just meant that I kinda see how you have previously used them as a vehicle to interject some of your own views into the story. This fits with what you've said elsewhere in the forum about

providing positive role models

and it just occurred to me, maybe a bit belatedly, that you use

Ben and Ry's characters

as a sort of voice of reason, through which you get to feed your own opinions. I don't know whether this was intentional or not, but I think it's very, very clever.

Ah. Yes. Then it that case you are right. They are the older, happily married gay couple who have always been there, who lead by example, (and who can be depended upon to deliver the right lectures -- like not perving on straight boys and safe sex -- when necessary.

Now we find out about Bran and Laura. Wow, my heart goes out to Laura when Bran tells about the counseling sessions that they are going through. It still amazes me that people can do so much to try to control and damage people for their self fulfilling needs. Bran seems to not only feel her pain, but is also being pained by the past as well. It seems that he has made a commitment to Laura to help her heal, but at the same time what sane guy wouldn't begin to wonder 'Is it worth it?'

Actually...the Bran and Laura story thread was there all along... Bran found out about what happened to Laura right before the championship rugby game and told Scott about it and it was Scott who suggested he get her into rape counselling because date rape is still rape.... but then Luc did what Luc did, and I think that got forgotten... but I will tell you that it's a really really important thread to pay attention to.

I wonder if Bran isn't partially going to the consoling to also help himself with his own past.

And like the others on here, Duncan, you are the master of capturing emotions. I can feel the longing, the hurt, the pain of all your characters. Though it is nice to have some happy moments in there to make us smile after all the tears! HINT HINT :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...