Go see the new Star Trek

Myr

• Site Administrator

Yes, you should go see it.

If nothing else, you can tell me if what's in Chris Pine's(James T. Kirk) tightie whities is all him ;)

As a fan of all Treks, I have to say that I probably enjoyed this one most. I cried in the first 10 minutes, and I laughed the rest of the way through. The humor was often geared towards Trek fans. (lots of obscure references the geeks with me were giggling at)

I hated the music, for the most part. (it needs a lot more brass). But they do play the original theme in the credits.

Oh, and an important note for Trek fans... the way the story works they explain the timeline differences with the reboot. Even going so far as specifically naming pieces of cannon and knocking them down.

Overall, I'd say 10/10.

Myr

p.s. I'm still drooling over Chris Pine in his undies...

Yes, you should go see it.

If nothing else, you can tell me if what's in Chris Pine's(James T. Kirk) tightie whities is all him ;)

As a fan of all Treks, I have to say that I probably enjoyed this one most. I cried in the first 10 minutes, and I laughed the rest of the way through. The humor was often geared towards Trek fans. (lots of obscure references the geeks with me were giggling at)

I hated the music, for the most part. (it needs a lot more brass). But they do play the original theme in the credits.

Oh, and an important note for Trek fans... the way the story works they explain the timeline differences with the reboot. Even going so far as specifically naming pieces of cannon and knocking them down.

Overall, I'd say 10/10.

Myr

p.s. I'm still drooling over Chris Pine in his undies...

Yum! :D (That's all I got to say)

IMAX tomorrow at 915pm.

Tighty whities on that huge screen. Yum...

If the humour is post TOS I'll be good. I never liked TOS. So I'm guessing I'll miss some.

Just went to see it with my 10 year old nephew. The kid blew off 'The Next Generation' as too boring (first season stuff). As of tonight, though, he's now a fan of Star Trek.

Funny thing is his favorite was Chekov, followed closely by Spock.

Like Myr, I cried in the first 10 minutes, as will any fan of Star Trek. It was sooooo good to watch it in a theater full of people (and it was full of people). To hear everyone clapping when the lights go out, and the reactions to different parts of the movie reminds me that yes, movies really can move people to react to them, even as jaded and jaundiced as we are today. There were several people in earshot who got dragged along by friends and were not Star Trek fans...all of them seemed to love the movie.

So, it's not just for fans...which is the whole purpose of this 'reboot'. And yes, how they deal with the new timeline is fully established in the movie, and have to say, it flows with trek cannon quite enough that defenders of the Abrams movie will have plenty of ammunition to stand their ground against the die hards on the other side.

I saw it on IMAX yesterday, and Pine's package sure did look authentic! :P

(and being at the wheelchair seating, we were sitting in the 2nd row of seats...)

Edited by kjames

All right, so I went and saw it today (too much popcorn, I'm shaking heheh) and I just got back from seeing it...

So...I guess I'm a little biased cause I hated what they did to the timeline, and I'm a major fan of the William Shattner star-trek movies...

But I'm not a total trek geek, so I can move myself to be a bit unbiased.

Now, getting past my biases I will say this was an excellent movie and can stand well enough on it's own. Totally loved the Leonard Nimoy appearance too (why can't we have Shattner making an appearance too? :( )

and i'm waiting for it to come out on DVD too so I can freezefram the undies shot,

now, going back towards my biases, there are two things I am hoping for out of this.

1) I do hope they can revitalize the star-trek industry if they make any more movies and out of this movie alone, but...

2) I do hope they don't try and re-make any of the Star-Trek movies that Shattner and crew did, cause I'll be pissed...

oh, and side comment,

The kid who played in Charlie Bartlett as Chekov in this movie really is of russian descent. For those of you who haven't seen Charlie Bartlett I recommend you do so, it's freaking great.

Laters,

Jon

Ok. So Im not a Scifi person. For example, Ive never seen an episode of Star Trek. I havent seen all of Star Wars. And I was really not interested in seeing it but some friends dragged me along. And I was very surprised. Its really good. Like, really. And it was funny. Didnt expect that.

Favorite people: the doctor and whoever Simon Pegg played. Some scottish guy I think.

This movie is AMAZING! REALLY AMAZING!

Just go and see it already! (In IMAX!)

---------------------------

Ok, now let's get into detail...

SPOILERS BE HERE!!!

While I was watching the movie (which is great, BWT :P ), I was thinking: Star Trek, Not Star Trek, Star Trek, Not St-.......

It was a Star Trek film, yet, it didn't feel like one. At all. I don't mean that in a bad way at all, actually, I really liked the departure, it ensures that the franchise can be rebooted and kept fresh. Bravo Abrams!

At first I was irked by some of the things (why Vulcan?) that happened in regards to the timeline, But then I recalled that this film is based in a separate reality to the other series, so it doesn't really matter what happens, as it doesn't affect anything else but the film (and perhaps future films).

The first ten minutes were very emotional and so cleverly portrayed. They took a somewhat clich

Enjoyable film, impressive cinematic and Leonard Nimoy was perfect with blend of surrealism and honesty.

The alternate universe thing was fun and interesting. Uhura was one of the few women not attracted to Kirk on TOS, now we know why. :D (She's into emo's.....I mean Vulcans, hehe!)

Hot characters, Christopher Pine, hot ass and package. Sulu looked adorable.

Then Finally, Checkov, I love you!!!!!

9/10, until they add the gay character promised by Gene Roddenberry decades ago, I cannot in good conscience give it a perfect score.

Great movie! So I'm wondering, now that they've segued into an alternate universe...I guess that gives them the logical grounds to develop a whole new series of movies that don't necessarily jive with the reality of the other universe. Interesting.

Haha, other people loved Chekov too? I wanted him for myself! Anton Yelchin is very attractive.

I also give 9/10. The battles were great, but not epic. I mean, in Nemesis when both ships were basically destroyed and they had to ram...THAT was epic.

I have to say that this film has blown my mind. Having stayed away from any write-ups or reviews of the film I went along to see what I thought was going to be a prequel, not this reboot.

I thought during the film that they would have restored the time line to what we know. As they did not, this shatters the whole Trek universe. :thumbdown:

I could even have handled the alternate time line, until they destroyed Vulcan.

The Federation in Kirk

• Site Administrator

I love Trek... but ultimately I want entertainment. So long as any new thing they do is consistent with the new movie, all is well.

After all, we have the original timeline and all it's stuff (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voy, Enterprise)

Comic books do this stuff all the time. This was Star Trek's reach to the wider audience and it seems to have worked.

I love Trek... but ultimately I want entertainment. So long as any new thing they do is consistent with the new movie, all is well.

After all, we have the original timeline and all it's stuff (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voy, Enterprise)

Comic books do this stuff all the time. This was Star Trek's reach to the wider audience and it seems to have worked.

Some one has read too many issues of Crisis on Infinite Earth, Myr, you looking guilty! :P:P

DC comics did the same thing to divide the three ages of Comic books; Golden age back-stories, Silver Age, DCAU age, and now. Batman's origin story changed a few times over the years as one example from people that know their character backgrounds.

• Site Administrator

Here is something I only spotted on the third viewing:

The scene where you first see Scottie... there is a tribble in the cage!

Oh my some one found waldo!

I thought it was some alien, but it was a tribble. I love seeing tribbles; even if they are trouble. No wonder star fleet ain't giving him food; they are afraid of the tribble multiplication problem.

Don't you know when that Bad Robot shows up (J. J. Abrams production company) insurance rates soar and there's going to be death and destruction on the planetary scale.

Destroing Vulcan was a horrible thing to do. When you take out 6 billion Vulcans and one of the founding races of the Federation, the time-line isn't just corrupted, it's shattered ino bits. The Federation is going to be a very different place without them.

One thing I liked about the show: technology wasn't nice and neat and contained in black boxes. The engineering spaces were crowded, busy places with pipes and cables and junction boxes that sprawled. Not like the antiseptic version you get with NextGen, etc.

The old Enterprise looked like it did during the TOS episode "The Cage" which showed flashbacks of the Enterprise under Captain Pike. They pulled a lot of threads together to weave this story.

a

Hehehe,

I actually heard it's 'purring' first and then I noticed it in the cage.

I must have been grinning like a madman when I noticed that!

Don't you know when that Bad Robot shows up (J. J. Abrams production company) insurance rates soar and there's going to be death and destruction on the planetary scale.

Destroing Vulcan was a horrible thing to do. When you take out 6 billion Vulcans and one of the founding races of the Federation, the time-line isn't just corrupted, it's shattered ino bits. The Federation is going to be a very different place without them.

I was seething when that happened! I wouldn't have minded had it been any other race but not the Vulcans! Back in the days of DS9, Ron Moore intentionally made sure that the Dominion never invaded Vulcan because it would have been too strong a message. I bet he was kinda pissed when he saw what they did in the film.

One thing I liked about the show: technology wasn't nice and neat and contained in black boxes. The engineering spaces were crowded, busy places with pipes and cables and junction boxes that sprawled. Not like the antiseptic version you get with NextGen, etc.

I dunno, I really liked the idea of main engineering being kinda clean and controlled. I mean they filmed parts of the movie in a Budweiser factory for goodness sake! :P If they HAD to take the 'factory-esc' setting then they should have made the warp core look like the LHC at CERN. B) I could have lived with that!

And for anyone who liked the film, I came across

down right awesome video on Youtube. It's the opening animation for the Fedcon 2009 convention. The CGI is amazing, especially considering that it was made by one guy who has nothing to do with the film. (Be sure to watch in HD!)

• 5 weeks later...

I know that I'm a little late in the reply but I gotta weight in on this :P

Anyone that know me enough will know that I was really bias against it that I didn't like the idea of a remake of the whole series without mr kirk himself, shatner,,, but my dad talked me into going to see it with him

I gotta say that I never shoulda waited that long,, but as soon as I realised that they didn't want to restart the series from scratch, I realised that it was actually really well made.

like many, i actually loved anton yelchin (I've had an interest in him as soon as I saw him in along came a spider)...

BUt I'll say that as opposed as many I like mr spock even nicer than that kirk boy :P

My boyfriend managed to drag me along, bribing me with popcorn. I actually enjoyed it. I was a big fan of (young) spock.

The ending where they have the choose emotion over logic message is stupid though.