Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Massive Eruption, as seen from space.

Due to the issues with Cumbre Vieja, I thought y'all might like to look at some pictures snapped by the ISS crew, of an eruption in the Kurile islands.

article-0-0575A7AC000005DC-176_634x422.jpg

The rest of the article, with more pictures, is here.

These are some of the best eruption pics I've seen.

Oh, and a note to the Echidna; I'm not saying Cumbre Vieja will erupt, just that it could, which is already in the posted chapters. :ph34r:

CJ :)

When I first read this title I thought it said "erection", not "eruption."

Ditto. :lol: Must be thinking of tall buildings or something. :P

That was a very impressive eruption, the biggest I've seen in some time. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I meant to comment on this a few days ago. I saw a similar article on Slashdot.org and it reminded me of this.

I have to say... it really is amazing... and I hope one day I can see something like that if space flight ever becomes possible for the average person...

Eric :)

This eruption is taking place in an area of frantic seismic activity that is called the Ring of Fire. It is a formation that runs in a circular pattern around the Pacific basin and along the boundaries of where a number of plates collide and either thrust or subduct against each other. It is huge and runs along the coast of North and South America, the Aleutian Islands, the Kuriles, Japan, Marianias Islands, the Philipines, New Guimea and New Zealand.

Along its length are volcanos both active and dormant and innumerable earthquake faults including the infamous San Adraes fault.

The Pacific Ring of Fire at Wikipedia

Ring of Fire- USGS

• Like 1

I meant to comment on this a few days ago. I saw a similar article on Slashdot.org and it reminded me of this.

I have to say... it really is amazing... and I hope one day I can see something like that if space flight ever becomes possible for the average person...

Eric :)

I'll agree wholeheartedly with that! :)

I'd love to see something like this, even from the ground, though preferably not from too close.

The condensate lensing (the white area on top of the column) was fascinating to me, but I thnk the most interesting thing is the circular clear area around the column. That's a blast effect of some kind; my guess is concussive heating. I've seen film of thermonuclear tests where nearby clouds simply vanish as the shockwave spreads, so that would be my guess (and that was definitely an explosive eruption)

This eruption is taking place in an area of frantic seismic activity that is called the Ring of Fire. It is a formation that runs in a circular pattern around the Pacific basin and along the boundaries of where a number of plates collide and either thrust or subduct against each other. It is huge and runs along the coast of North and South America, the Aleutian Islands, the Kuriles, Japan, Marianias Islands, the Philipines, New Guimea and New Zealand.

Along its length are volcanos both active and dormant and innumerable earthquake faults including the infamous San Adraes fault.

The Pacific Ring of Fire at Wikipedia

Ring of Fire- USGS

Thanks James. :)

Awesome pictures! And, this is my 200th post! Wow, I gotta while to go before I catch up with some of you, lol.

Night!

200 posts?!?!? Yep, he's a postaholic! :P

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..