Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Changing Lanes, Chapter 46

Cliff James has released Out of the Frying Pan..., chapter 46 of Changing Lanes.

"We are praying now for the repose of his soul. Hoping you're well and not in hell. Nice change of air. Out of the frying pan of life into the fire of purgatory." ~ James Joyce

"Out of the frying pan into the fire." ~ Quintus Septimius Tertullianus, De Carne Christi, Carthaginian church father (160 AD - 230 AD)

Edited by MikeL

I think this map should have been included with this story

http://home-1.tiscal...michelin%29.gif

It would have given better understanding which way was where

I thought the airport was on the west side and the resort on the north east

Nice to know - I had that backwards

small little "Tunel de la cumbre" - make sense to have a blast that short circuits the

land slide area.

Should it gone naturally - the resort would have been buried with the land slide

with the wedding party.

A pleasant good by Jerry ... to accidentally save the good guys

The bad news ...

is how the gov't is going to move in ... and arrest the wrong guys

Clump is still around and we have yet to see a show down ... with the good guys

something clump will be surprised in the next chapter

There's hope that Mr Graeme will have to appologize to helen and Jane

Maybe take them out to Dinner??

But will he survive ??

General Bradson will make sure no one will come to his aid.

Deputy Undersecretary is an idot, us govt arrest the band but the scar gets away. Eric basically already know they are dead.

Eric doesn't know that Jim and Linda are dead. That's why he left that sign for them at the resort. :)

I think this map should have been included with this story

http://home-1.tiscal...michelin%29.gif

It would have given better understanding which way was where

I thought the airport was on the west side and the resort on the north east

Nice to know - I had that backwards

small little "Tunel de la cumbre" - make sense to have a blast that short circuits the

land slide area.

Should it gone naturally - the resort would have been buried with the land slide

with the wedding party.

A pleasant good by Jerry ... to accidentally save the good guys

The bad news ...

is how the gov't is going to move in ... and arrest the wrong guys

Clump is still around and we have yet to see a show down ... with the good guys

something clump will be surprised in the next chapter

There's hope that Mr Graeme will have to appologize to helen and Jane

Maybe take them out to Dinner??

But will he survive ??

General Bradson will make sure no one will come to his aid.

You are absolutely right; I should have included a map. The reason I didn't was that, technically, it's a copyright violation. That's why early on I linking, including from some of the chapters, to google maps coordinates. A map would have been far better. I love the one you found, thank you!

The tunnel isn't portrayed quite right on that map; it's probably an older map, or just used out of date data. The small tunnel was replaced by the longer, deeper one ( roughly in the same location) in the story about four years ago.

The resort is on the coast, near the town of Las Indias, which is on the map. The zig-zag shown on the map between Las Indias and the sea is the one where they saw the rescue convoy coming down.

And yes, it was indeed Jerry who saved both Instinct, and the coastline of the entire North Atlantic Basin! :jerry::jerry::jerry:

I've been hinting at that here in the forum for a while.. By calling Jerry "Poor, Misunderstood Jerry". I used to say that about the character Eric in "For the Love" (not the same Eric as in LTMP or Changing lanes) because, in the end, he saved the day. :)

Is the pool still intact? :boy:

Fear not, the pool is still.. sort of intact. It's just full of lava. :)

Did the earthquake shatter all the remaining bottles of tequila on the island?

That would be a true disaster for Eric. ROFL!!

Okay... now we've seen chapter 46, I can say this; everything required to save Instinct occurred in chapter 45. So, therefor, it cannot be considered a cliffhanger and I think it's time for you to do your froggish duty and Amphibiously Certify Ragnar

You are absolutely right; I should have included a map. The reason I didn't was that, technically, it's a copyright violation. That's why early on I linking, including from some of the chapters, to google maps coordinates. A map would have been far better. I love the one you found, thank you!

The tunnel isn't portrayed quite right on that map; it's probably an older map, or just used out of date data. The small tunnel was replaced by the longer, deeper one ( roughly in the same location) in the story about four years ago.

The resort is on the coast, near the town of Las Indias, which is on the map. The zig-zag shown on the map between Las Indias and the sea is the one where they saw the rescue convoy coming down.

And yes, it was indeed Jerry who saved both Instinct, and the coastline of the entire North Atlantic Basin! :jerry::jerry::jerry:

I've been hinting at that here in the forum for a while.. By calling Jerry "Poor, Misunderstood Jerry". I used to say that about the character Eric in "For the Love" (not the same Eric as in LTMP or Changing lanes) because, in the end, he saved the day. :)

heheheh that Eric!!!

Ya know his followers are going to question why he's growing taller!!

Of course he could get shorter heels.

You promised a sequel!! Right!!

btw did you make ra ra signs for Eric :2thumbs:

Thanks for the geography - sure google links to the coordinates be cool

btw - where was the beach for marriage?

and the news conference

and I presume the storage was to the south

oh - scar should written on the Volcano side CLUMPY WAS HERE!!!

since there's no chance for another big one in like 70 years plus!!

maybe Keither and Joe should go into business together EXOTIC CLUMPY OMELETS !!!

Warning beware of the TACKLING ERIC!!!! TEQULLA BAR!!!! SHOTS WITH A BANG!!!

Maybe the next album - Eric should write the song "Joe -> Airport"

of course Brandon and Chase will duet!!

a special autograph Thanks Drewbie for the inspiration!!! [guilty] Eric :music:

Eric better open a Chain of Erotic Strippers Bars!!!

( since the gov't backed out of the 30 Million

and said hey we're not prosecuting you as terrorists )

each instinct member making visits and stripping for their tips

( the gov't order the IRS to over look their income for life )

I had totally forgotten that Eric had invited Jim and Linda to stay at the resort for their Honey Moon. He will be feeling really guilty when he learns their fate, but Jansen will be there to cheer him up.

I was also beginning to think something had happened to Jane. I didn't see her name mention for a while and was beginning to think they were going to leave her behind.

Now as everyone heads to the airport we hope that their flight out won't be delayed. At least there is no security....

It looks like Deputy Undersecretary Graeme will be one of the few people ever to be fired from the Government.

This chapter is full of surprises. It answered some questions and gave me a whole new set to think about.

Great Chapter CJ. :2thumbs:

CJ.... all I can say is you are one devious quadruped!!!

In the book 1984, they had a term that fits you, doublespeak... which is what goes on a lot in your stories ;)

Now... do I need to remind you to be nice to Eric? The whole FBI's Most Wanted list isn't really a nice thing :P

B) ....................What can I say great chapter CJ, at first glance the map is a great idea!!!! Until you notice that there is a far easier, closer route to the resort on the east side of the island. I understand why Jim was using the tunnel road, to get to the press conference at the northwest corner of the island. It would seem the 'tunnel' route is traversed over and over, but the closer and easier eastern route is only used once in the escape by the 'guests'. Perhaps the goat just likes the cliffside scenic route 0:) !!!!

B) ....................What can I say great chapter CJ, at first glance the map is a great idea!!!! Until you notice that there is a far easier, closer route to the resort on the east side of the island. I understand why Jim was using the tunnel road, to get to the press conference at the northwest corner of the island. It would seem the 'tunnel' route is traversed over and over, but the closer and easier eastern route is only used once in the escape by the 'guests'. Perhaps the goat just likes the cliffside scenic route 0:) !!!!

I think the volcanic ash is a bigger problem on the east side of the island. The route through the tunnel keeps you out of the ash longer when headed to the airport. That's all pre-eruption, of course.

I think the volcanic ash is a bigger problem on the east side of the island. The route through the tunnel keeps you out of the ash longer when headed to the airport. That's all pre-eruption, of course.

Eric enjoyed the taxi ride, noticing immediately that they were not taking the route by which he

Is there any more clumpy omelets ?

Sorry, but any leftover omlettes are now encased in lava, and thus of the extra-crispy variety. :)

Maybe Jerry will invite them aboard his plane for some more home-cooking? :)

I had totally forgotten that Eric had invited Jim and Linda to stay at the resort for their Honey Moon. He will be feeling really guilty when he learns their fate, but Jansen will be there to cheer him up.

I was also beginning to think something had happened to Jane. I didn't see her name mention for a while and was beginning to think they were going to leave her behind.

Now as everyone heads to the airport we hope that their flight out won't be delayed. At least there is no security....

It looks like Deputy Undersecretary Graeme will be one of the few people ever to be fired from the Government.

This chapter is full of surprises. It answered some questions and gave me a whole new set to think about.

Great Chapter CJ. :2thumbs:

True that there is no security at the airport to worry about. The only minor obstacle is The Scar, his henchmen, and the two remaining nukes. :)

CJ.... all I can say is you are one devious quadruped!!!

In the book 1984, they had a term that fits you, doublespeak... which is what goes on a lot in your stories ;)

Now... do I need to remind you to be nice to Eric? The whole FBI's Most Wanted list isn't really a nice thing :P

What? You don't like Eric being on the FBI's list? but... I was only trying to make him feel wanted. 0:)

Doublespeak? From poor, innocent me? 0:)

That route was used when Eric first arrived on the island. The problem is that the volcanic ash is falling there the wind takes it, and the waind is not constantly from the southwest. Sometimes it's from due west, and that carried the ash east, blanketing the area from the southern tip (just north of it) to the airport. That area was hit the hardest. I used the 1976 ashfalls as a guide.

The roads there are not quite what they appear on the map. If you use a map-equipped GPS, you'll see that from the resort to the airport takes a half hour less via the tunnel (I have the map set for Europe in my GPS, because I was there a couple of months ago, including on one of the canary islands). The Taxi driver took Eric via the "scenic" route, which is longer, LoL.

On a map, it looks easier, but it isn't. I'm basing this on the GPS tomes, and also what a similar appearing road around the west end of Teneriffe, an island about 60 miles away with similar terrain, is like. I drove it, and it took quite some time.

Also, once the heavy ash falls began, the road from the southern tip to the airport was closed. The tunnel route keeps you out of the ash until you are much closer to the airport.

Bingo. :)

And BTW, now that the nuclear warhead has gone off in the tunnel, no one will be using it anymore. :)

It was asked above where the beach that Brandon and Chase got married on is on the map. It's abotu a mile north of the resort. It's not on this map, but it's called Playa Zamaora.

Hold the tar and feathers! (not that we would ever think of that)

I could not imagine how they would survive but they did!

When do we get to read more?

:jerry:

Sorry, I had computer trouble (still do) that is causing reboots in my primary OS, and that's the only one with HTML editing ability. That's why Chapter 47, Fatal Mistakes, has been delayed. It's up now though. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Hey CJ and all,

So this will be like my first post in seven weeks I think, but finally got off the drugs enough that I could get back to some much anticipated reading.

I've got caught up ot Chpt. 46 and just have two minor comments about the chapter (don't want to exhaust myself, LOL)

One, thet Francois, what a GREAT guy. I mean how many people would be willing to step up to help Jon out with Jane. The world definitely needs more men like him.

Two, that evil, evil, evil Undersecretary Graeme. Who the heck does he think he is? Personally I feel he has now stepped over the line as far as the evilness factor goes based on selfishness and has exceeded Jerry's low levels. What will we do with the evil Graeme I ask.

Oh, I should mention that I have been reading and even with having the next chapter readily available, the cliffhangers are as large as ever!!! Good to see that you have all bases covered CJ, LOL.

• Site Administrator

Thanks Jan,

I'm just happy to be able to periodically get onto the net and do some reading.

Unfortunately this means I may be posting a bit behind schecule, but oh well.

Steve

Thanks Jan,

I'm just happy to be able to periodically get onto the net and do some reading.

Unfortunately this means I may be posting a bit behind schecule, but oh well.

Steve

B)............Good to see your back!!!

Hey CJ and all,

So this will be like my first post in seven weeks I think, but finally got off the drugs enough that I could get back to some much anticipated reading.

I've got caught up ot Chpt. 46 and just have two minor comments about the chapter (don't want to exhaust myself, LOL)

One, thet Francois, what a GREAT guy. I mean how many people would be willing to step up to help Jon out with Jane. The world definitely needs more men like him.

Two, that evil, evil, evil Undersecretary Graeme. Who the heck does he think he is? Personally I feel he has now stepped over the line as far as the evilness factor goes based on selfishness and has exceeded Jerry's low levels. What will we do with the evil Graeme I ask.

Oh, I should mention that I have been reading and even with having the next chapter readily available, the cliffhangers are as large as ever!!! Good to see that you have all bases covered CJ, LOL.

Welcome Back, Steve!!!!!! :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Yep, Francois, mercenary though he is, does seem helpful. :)

Yes, indeed, that Mr. Graeme, he of the prickly personality, is evil indeed! 0:)

Steve.... you last paragraph has me flabbergasted! How could there possibly be cliffhangers? 0:)

My favorite of the chapters you've just read was Ragnarok. I'd been looking forward to writing it for a long, long time. A nice, relaxing chapter... :read:

Welco :2thumbs: me back!!

• 1 month later...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..