Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Master and Commander

What is this with those cliffhangers at the end of every chapter? :-) A new practice or what?

I really appreciate how Calvert and the chestnut boy fit - so I take it the photo was first and then the precise description of Calvert? :-) Looking forward for chapter 4! It's coming! :2thumbs:

What is this with those cliffhangers at the end of every chapter? :-) A new practice or what?

I really appreciate how Calvert and the chestnut boy fit - so I take it the photo was first and then the precise description of Calvert? :-) Looking forward for chapter 4! It's coming! :2thumbs:

Well...I don't know. It seemed like a good place to stop. Besides, I post chapters pretty fast, so I figured a cliffhanger now and then is allowed.

Actually, on Calvert's description, this time I got the photo first. I think that's the first time I've done that.

Well...I don't know. It seemed like a good place to stop. Besides, I post chapters pretty fast, so I figured a cliffhanger now and then is allowed.

I believe this statement can aptly be described as self-serving logic. :P

Mind you, there is some merit in what you say, especially given that the impugned cliffhangers are not overly intense. An author must be free to utilize the tools available to him. Seeing that both Mark Twain and Charles Dickens both used cliffhangers in their newspaper published serial stories, you're in good company. :D

I believe this statement can aptly be described as self-serving logic. :P

Mind you, there is some merit in what you say, especially given that the impugned cliffhangers are not overly intense. An author must be free to utilize the tools available to him. Seeing that both Mark Twain and Charles Dickens both used cliffhangers in their newspaper published serial stories, you're in good company. :D

I am in good company. Thanks. :great:

And thanks for humoring me. :devil:

I think it's interesting that in Granger's view, a 15-year old boy having sex with an older man is a form of rape, but when Granger actually was 15, he was having sex with older men all the time.

well, it looks like the fact this boy was tied, and the man exploited that, is a factor in this assessment...

• Like 1

well, it looks like the fact this boy was tied, and the man exploited that, is a factor in this assessment...

Thanks Enric. That's exactly it. If the kid was into it, well, it may have been statutory rape, but they didn't have that crime in those days. The fact that they were committing a sexual act was enough to get the both hung anyway (theoretically). But since he was tied up and didn't consent, that tips the scales.

Thanks Enric. That's exactly it. If the kid was into it, well, it may have been statutory rape, but they didn't have that crime in those days. The fact that they were committing a sexual act was enough to get the both hung anyway (theoretically). But since he was tied up and didn't consent, that tips the scales.

Some guys like being tied up though. 0:)

I made a joke, but it was actually a serious issue. Rape has pretty much always been universally frowned upon. I have a feeling that Granger's decision to allow Carmody to live may come back to bite him in the ass. Predators like Carmody are masters of manipulation and are well-known for also being opportunistic. The evil cliffhanger in the chapter may very well be an indication of this. I believe strongly that this isn't the end of Carmody's exploits. It could very easily put Granger's career on the line. Only time will tell :ph34r:

Some guys like being tied up though. 0:)

I should have guessed......

when doing that, hopefully you are in good company :)

Ibelieve strongly that this isn't the end of Carmody's exploits. Itcould very easily put Granger's career on the line. Only time will tell:ph34r:

I was rather thinking that the prize ship and Carmody will get into some difficulty or other, and never make it to England (or at least not alive).... Such as, the squad of those about 10 men being trouble individuals, there'd be a successful mutiny against them, or against Carmody, ...... plus, they could end up as pirates to Caribbean or Azores or whatnot...

....or, they can always sail to a rock and drown...

Guess the subsequent chapter would reveal, if anything immediate on that front...

still, my bet is that only after the year-long stint in East India, they'll get any idea about the prize and if it disappeared...

surely this was still an epoch when news did not travel faster to India than a ship...

---------------

Mark - have you thought to put Georgie and his ship to have any adventures in the Baltic Sea ?

To catch nice-arsed Russian noble boys.... :)

Edited by Enric
  • Like 1

The Baltic? Absolutely. At some point in time, Granger will end up there, if only because I loved it so much when I went. I'm not sure when. Before Tilsit, or in 1812 with Napoleon's invasion...but it will happen.

Russian guys are hot. Then again, so are Swedes, and Danes, and Finns, and Norwegians, and Poles...... :2thumbs:

The Baltic? Absolutely. At some point in time, Granger will end up there, if only because I loved it so much when I went. I'm not sure when. Before Tilsit, or in 1812 with Napoleon's invasion...but it will happen.

Russian guys are hot. Then again, so are Swedes, and Danes, and Finns, and Norwegians, and Poles...... :2thumbs:

uh huh. Does this mean what I think it means....

did you count how many guys .... ?

----

empress Catherine still reigns at St.Petersburg. Which, I'm sure, you recall in in the coast of Baltic, there... :)

Finnish lands in the eastern coast, westward up to the mouth of the river Kymi, belong to overlordship of Russians - though, a duke of Wurttemberg is governor-general there, it being an almost autonomous skimpy principality.

And, most of the Finnish coast belongs to Sweden - whose king (the mad one) is still a boy (now perhaps 15), but he was a hetero (is there correlation. madness - heterosexuality). The curious point is that the young king's late and by-him-admired father almost certainly was a gay.

And, you are welcome to have Axel von Fersen (now about 39 yo) a gay man.... (I have long believed that the late Marie-Antoinette's virtue was in no danger, instead she was a fag hag)

• Like 1

The Baltic? ... if only because I loved it so much when I went.

where (= which towns?) did you visit ?

• Like 1

We did a cruise. Copenhagen, Visby, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, and Stockholm. Then we went to Oslo for a few days.

oh. I have also visited most of those. And, of course, I have a residence in one....

Edited by Enric
  • Like 1

And which one would that be? Don't worry, we won't all go to Helsinki trying to track you down.

Hopefully none of those *all* will go to try track me down.... :)

Besides, I believe the precise tracking is anyway not easy...

• Like 1

Well i'm pretty happy with the story, i just watched the Show Master and comander with russle crowe, Good movie.

There are things that you are failing to keep prominant in this story though, 4 chapters and Granger has yet to pick up his flute. can Mr. Calvert play anything???

The whole show master and commander was with violin playing. and the ACHRON(spelling??) is a awesomely designed ship.

I think we need the INTERCEPTER in this story line......with Commador Granger at the helm! lol. That or some pirates.......but they don't need a prize now anyway.... they would need to keep all there men would they not??

Anyway i'm excited for the next few chapters.

Great love scenes in that chapter! :wub: I definitely had to smoke a cigarette after that chapter. Exquisitely satisfying! B)

I enjoyed Granger's machinations in discharging his guilt around cheating on Travers. I hope that doesn't come back to bite him in the ass. If he were to find out that Travers kept himself chaste throughout their "separation", he'd be feeling more than guilt.

If I had to take a guess as to whether Travers wiil remain true to Granger, it would definitely be "he gave it his best shot, but ended up giving Robbie his best shot." :P

I also believe Granger will fall in love with Calvert. Calvert will fall in love too, if he hasn't already. Sure makes for some interesting chapters when Granger returns fron India.

Well, I think Granger deserves a chance at happiness, what happiness one can have aboard a navy ship. It's hard to say if Granger will ultimately end up with Travers. He is extremely amorous, though he has calmed down somewhat. Still, it's not like they're on the same ship or ever will be unless one becomes an admiral and chooses the other to work under him.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..