Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Changing Lanes Chapter 51 & Epilogue

I am hopeful that the Amphibious Committee will certify the story cliffhanger-free.

But...but...but...

There's a whole big cliff on LaPalma sliding slo-o-o-o-wly into the Atlantic! (Best kind of cliff to leave hanging at the end of the story!)

Wonderful job!

• Site Administrator

Hrmmm, of course, Jerry's son Joe is still alive, and although the last we saw of him (in LTMP) he had turned against the dark side, he's shown a propensity for it (Back when he was known as Lump) And he is Jerry's son, and he was traumatized as a child (Jerry's garroting of Joe's mother).

innocent.gif

Well, I never even thought of Joe (Lump) when typing that. I was thinking of all the little illegitamate Scars you have left around the world. devilsmiley.gif

I guess Joe could always turn to the darkside again if things don't work out to well for him.

What a great plot line than the evil former lead singer of Instinct trying to avenge his poor misunderstood father's early demise innocent.gif .

Thank you CJ!! worshippy.gif

What a wonderful story.

I can't believe it's over! I've been reading in this universe for over a year and a half! I'll definitely miss reading about these boys.

I join my thanks to all the readers who could say it much better than I do.

And BTW, I'm sure, after a well earned rest, James will bring us a new amazing story. He cannt live without that :D:PB)

a perfect ending to another exciting well written story!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

:2thumbs:

What's next? I remember you saying something about a sequal to For the Love.

B).................I was surprised that FTL did not have the sequel after LTMP, instead our resident Goat got caught up in his dangerously lovable nemesis character Scar, aka Parachute-less Jerry. :jerry: In FTL, we have an evil Eric riding off into the sunset, yep we were goated :whistle: by an evil Eric whom the goat try's to portray as a misunderstood mixed up drugged-up kid that was being used by corrupt officials for their nefarious ends. Never mind that he shot the deputy, drugged up his brother and his lover and tied them to ground to endure a painful death. He saves them in the end, but only because it benefits him in the long run. YES, I have waited for this sequel :angry:

• Site Administrator

In FTL, we have an evil Eric riding off into the sunset, yep we were goated whistle.gif by an evil Eric whom the goat try's to portray as a misunderstood mixed up drugged-up kid that was being used by corrupt officials for their nefarious ends. Never mind that he shot the deputy, drugged up his brother and his lover and tied them to ground to endure a painful death. He saves them in the end, but only because it benefits him in the long run. YES, I have waited for this sequel mad.gif

Benji....you make this all sound like a bad thing innocent.gif

Benji....you make this all sound like a bad thing innocent.gif

B)...........Hahaha! Steve I was drinking a rum & coke when I read this and coughed part that drink threw my nose!! (THANKS A LOT) :lmao: I still have issues with Eric #1. :angry::angry::angry:

B) In FTL, we have an evil Eric riding off into the sunset, yep we were goated :whistle: by an evil Eric whom the goat try's to portray as a misunderstood mixed up drugged-up kid that was being used by corrupt officials for their nefarious ends. Never mind that he shot the deputy....

But he did not shoot the sheriff! Oh, wait a minute -- wrong Eric (and we've got the song backwards too!) :D

• Site Administrator

But he did not shoot the sheriff! Oh, wait a minute -- wrong Eric (and we've got the song backwards too!) biggrin.gif

But he did!!!!

*Steve goes off singing* "I shot the sheriff...." guitar.gifwhistle.gif

But...but...but...

There's a whole big cliff on LaPalma sliding slo-o-o-o-wly into the Atlantic! (Best kind of cliff to leave hanging at the end of the story!)

Wonderful job!

Thanks!!!!

No worries about La Palma.. it's sliding slowly, just like the lateral collapse on Reunion in the Indian Ocean. :)

And I never use cliffhangers. 0:)0:)0:)0:)

I join my thanks to all the readers who could say it much better than I do.

And BTW, I'm sure, after a well earned rest, James will bring us a new amazing story. He cannt live without that :D:PB)

Thanks Old Bob!!!

You're right, writing is addictive. Some people watch TV, some people play video games, and some people like to write. I'm the latter. I write for relaxation, so I would never want to stop.

There is more coming soon! Please see this thread for news on a story coming within a few weeks. :)

a perfect ending to another exciting well written story!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

:2thumbs:

What's next? I remember you saying something about a sequal to For the Love.

Please see this thread for news on a story coming within a few weeks. :)

There is a sequel planned for For the Love. It won't be until after "Circumnavigation" though.

B).................I was surprised that FTL did not have the sequel after LTMP, instead our resident Goat got caught up in his dangerously lovable nemesis character Scar, aka Parachute-less Jerry. :jerry: In FTL, we have an evil Eric riding off into the sunset, yep we were goated :whistle: by an evil Eric whom the goat try's to portray as a misunderstood mixed up drugged-up kid that was being used by corrupt officials for their nefarious ends. Never mind that he shot the deputy, drugged up his brother and his lover and tied them to ground to endure a painful death. He saves them in the end, but only because it benefits him in the long run. YES, I have waited for this sequel :angry:

Fear not! FTL's poor, misunderstood Eric, along with the Reverend Thaddeus J. Emoe, will return!

And Eric shot the Sheriff (but he did not shoot the deputy...) :P

Granted, Eric, like many younger brothers, could be irksome at times, like barging in on Chris and Steve's camping trip. But, after leaving them to work on their tans (Staked out to cook in the sun), he did leave, so all's well, right? Maybe he was just trying to play cowboys and Indians?

Poor, misunderstood Eric.. Who saved the day in the end, and like the hero in any classic Western, rode off into the sunset...

But he did!!!!

*Steve goes off singing* "I shot the sheriff...." guitar.gifwhistle.gif

ROFL!!!

Eric's (FTL Eric) new theme song? 0:)

In case anyone missed it, There are more stories coming soon! Please see this thread for news on a story coming within a few weeks. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

c-130-jato.jpg

Was it 16 or 8 Jatos?

It be nice to add the above as part of your illustrations

Still looks like a flying crate

Hey CJ - make this your get away vehicle where they try to milk you :funny:

c-130-jato.jpg

Was it 16 or 8 Jatos?

It be nice to add the above as part of your illustrations

Still looks like a flying crate

Hey CJ - make this your get away vehicle where they try to milk you :funny:

B)........Makes you wonder how that little looking thrust was enough to make a diffference in the take off!

It was seven JATO's per side for The Scar's takeoff from La Palma, for a total of fourteen.

They put out a thrust of over 1000lbs each, so that's 14,000 pounds of thrust for the jury-rigged 14.

Is that marginal for takeoff? Yes, but my best guess is that it's feasible for a lightly-laden C-130. I based that on a quick, back-of-the-envelope analysis of takeoff thrust from the props. The problem is, those engines are rated in horsepower, so you have conversion issues with the props, etc. I came up with a rough estimate of 5000 pounds per engine, then cut it by 1/4 because I know a C-130 can do a three-engine takeoff. That put it in the ballpark at 14k pounds of thrust, so i went with fourteen JATOS. :)

Of course, i might have blown the horesepower-to-thrust conversion, but I hope not. :)

It was seven JATO's per side for The Scar's takeoff from La Palma, for a total of fourteen.

They put out a thrust of over 1000lbs each, so that's 14,000 pounds of thrust for the jury-rigged 14.

Is that marginal for takeoff? Yes, but my best guess is that it's feasible for a lightly-laden C-130. I based that on a quick, back-of-the-envelope analysis of takeoff thrust from the props. The problem is, those engines are rated in horsepower, so you have conversion issues with the props, etc. I came up with a rough estimate of 5000 pounds per engine, then cut it by 1/4 because I know a C-130 can do a three-engine takeoff. That put it in the ballpark at 14k pounds of thrust, so i went with fourteen JATOS. :)

Of course, i might have blown the horesepower-to-thrust conversion, but I hope not. :)

Wow - Thanks for the reply

It must be an interesting sight to see 14 of them burning and thrusting ... sure would burn the pain off.

I wonder if the heat would loosen the jato from the plane.

Can you the jatos for vertical lift?

Wow - Thanks for the reply

It must be an interesting sight to see 14 of them burning and thrusting ... sure would burn the pain off.

I wonder if the heat would loosen the jato from the plane.

Can you the jatos for vertical lift?

The Jatos can, theoretically, be mounted downnwards to give some vertical lift. They can also be mounted facing forwards for breaking. This has been tried, once... for Operation Credible Sport. A crash ended that operation, but they built three prototypes.

It also shows that the C-130 airframe can handle a lot of Jatos. :-)

Heat wouldn't the the issue; structural stress would. :)

• 2 months later...

CJ,

You spin tales well -- at least the two of them that I've read. You even partly redeemed yourself on why tequila had such an effect on Eric.

With due respect to artistic license, and since I live 30 miles from the (old) summit of Mt. Saint Helens and received several doses of ash (though not the heavy doses that went east), explosive pyroclastic volcanoes tend not to have lava flows, as I understand them. Lava did emerge in the new crater of Mt. Saint Helens, but it was of the oozy, thick kind.

Your descriptions of the lightning emanating from the volcano is right on as is the difficulty of dealing with the ash. So, too, with your description of the buildup -- the mild tremors, the ash plumes.

Very enjoyable, this, as well as Let the Music Play, which I was happy to put up on the Best of Nifty (and the Net) site.

rec

CJ,

You spin tales well -- at least the two of them that I've read. You even partly redeemed yourself on why tequila had such an effect on Eric.

With due respect to artistic license, and since I live 30 miles from the (old) summit of Mt. Saint Helens and received several doses of ash (though not the heavy doses that went east), explosive pyroclastic volcanoes tend not to have lava flows, as I understand them. Lava did emerge in the new crater of Mt. Saint Helens, but it was of the oozy, thick kind.

Your descriptions of the lightning emanating from the volcano is right on as is the difficulty of dealing with the ash. So, too, with your description of the buildup -- the mild tremors, the ash plumes.

Very enjoyable, this, as well as Let the Music Play, which I was happy to put up on the Best of Nifty (and the Net) site.

rec

Thank you Rec!!!!

I had a lot of fun writing those two stories. And thank you very much for the nominations!

You're mainly right on explosive pyroclastic volcanoes, but there are exceptions. St. Hellens had thick, vicious lava, with a high disolved-gas content. Free-flowing lave generally has very low gas content. The gas content also makes for a very big bang.

However, many volcanic eruptions (especially stratovolcanos, like La Palma's Cumbre Vieja) exhibit both features, sometimes even in the same eruption. In an early phase, the eruption might me explosive (Plinian, such as St. Helen's in 1980) and then later perhaps Strombolian, and than later,Hawiaan style, with lave flows. Cumbre Vieja has a history of having all three kinds. The mechanism is the lowering of the gas content in the magma as the erpution progresses. HOWEVER, I did indeed take artistic license; I am not sure Cumbre Vieja has ever had a plinian and a hawwian cycle in the same eruptive phase. I went with the theory that it might be possible, due to the initial ripping open of the mountain releasing pressure over a large area. St. Helens has also had Hawiian style eruptions, as well as Plinian ones, in its past (The hawiian sytle ones are why it has lava tube caves on the south side; Ape Caves).

Where I really pushed a bit on the eruption was the timespan between the initial Plinian eruption and the lave flows. It's usually (but not always) that fast a progression.

To be honest, I envy you for being so close to St. Hellens when it blew. I'd have loved to have seen that... My first visit to St Hellens was just over a year ago, after even the dome-building phase had ended. It is an awe-inspiring sight, especially when standing on Johnson ridge and looking into the blown-out north face, and seeing that, even from that distance, (5 miles)it blasted the ridge down to bedrock. I only spent a day there, but I'd love to return one day and see more of it.

Thanks Rec!!!!

CJ :)

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..