Open Club  ·  283 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Bloodlines

tutti -

How to get rid of Brian for good? Ah, I have a few ideas on that menu. One of which involves a wood chipper, and another involves a good friend from south of the border.devilsmiley.gif But it's late right now, so I'll post more ruminations on a fun chapter after the sun rise...

Dave

I don't think there is any need of a dastardly deed to get rid of Brian. He's with Whist now... let him languish and die of boredom.

I actually like Brian... not as a person but as a character in the story in that he has really been the sand in the oyster and is a person everyone loves to hate :)

I have a quibble over the packing the ballot box idea. Don't college organizations worry about who is or isn't a member of an organization and entitled to vote? (or was I the only person who worried about this in college, because I was destined to be a lawyer since at least 5th grade?). It just didn't seem realistic to me that students who suddenly show up could vote.

Mark likes to write about high school seniors,

You may be right, but that's only because that means I can get them out of there quickly. I don't like writing about high school, but you have to include senior year if the college choice is going to come into play.

You may be right, but that's only because that means I can get them out of there quickly. I don't like writing about high school, but you have to include senior year if the college choice is going to come into play.

Right. I don't expect you to switch to focusing on JJ and Will when they're in 9th grade for '01-'02. Because frankly, high school is absolutely boring until the upperclassmen years. Darius is going to be a senior/college freshman for the year 2000, but I don't think we're going to get a straight narrator. So Generation 3 is still somewhat on the sides, waiting in the wings. Although I suppose technically Matt is Gen 3, but we never saw him as a little kid the way we saw Darius as a three-year old in summer 1985, JJ as a preemie in December '85, or Will as a newborn in September '86. And Matt's a college freshman, which is a helluva lot more interesting than the middle school years that JJ and Will are going through, LOL.

Matt's senior year of college coincides with September 11th. Just a thought.

Here we go again. I have to agree. A second story with Matt would be good, that is unless there's another unknown character who was born on November, 29, 1982 and is a college freshman on September, 11, 2001. :music:

tutti -

What do you do with a problem like Brian? (Cue the nuns) Marying him off - so to speak - to someone like Whist may actually be the solution. While they are very hateful creatures, they are also rather impotent when it comes to acting on their intentions. A few more failed attempts at attacking JP and his tribe would probably see them devolve into an ugly fuming duo whose hate just fed the other and consumed them. In the end their lack of ability to move on would condemn them to ugly loneliness and an immaterial existance. Hate can do that to people.

Remembering back to my college years (there were a lot of them...). I recall that to be a voting member of most student orgs. you had to attend more than one meeting and in some cases actually register. But that probably would have dragged out the election scene too much. Anybody else wondering what Mark is like as a faculty advisor? ;)

I really love the way that Stephs' character has evolved. From that immature teen who didn't know how to control his minds power. To the relaxed master effortlessly using his abilities and strengths and also his weaknesses. He and JP make a great team in the narrative.

Wade... For the second time in this series I'm finding myself drawn to a character. Getting those fleeting little ideas about, why can't he be real, wouldn't it be cool. (caught myself and changed it to cool) This is what I find so great about the entire series. The quality of the writing is such that the characters grow on you. They maintain personality from situation to situation and then over the longer narrative. Wade is a loving person, but his life has created a little bit of a Jekyll to him as well. It will be interesting to see how he comes to control the beast within. I'm sure it won't be completely smooth sailing. Politics is the art of compromise, maneuver (sp?) and then you have to remind yourself of what you are at your core. Lose track of that and Wade becomes just another political robot self perpetuating. Fortunately there is Matt. As long as they are truly together I doubt we'll lose the Wade we are coming to like so much.

OK one last thought and I'm done. I find that I don't really care how the election turns out. I think that Matt and Wade will probably stay engaged in that group either way. While she may be a bit cold, Wades' Mom trained him well. He won't be able to take a back seat in life. This engagement with Jerry and Whist was fun for him as an exercise of that training. He has tasted spice, and he is awake. He may never want to be a senator or governor, but, he will never be just an observer either. Maybe I'm just a romantic but his first love to my understanding will always be Matt, not power.

Laterz, Dave

What do you do with a problem like Brian? (Cue the nuns) Marying him off - so to speak - to someone like Whist may actually be the solution. While they are very hateful creatures, they are also rather impotent when it comes to acting on their intentions. A few more failed attempts at attacking JP and his tribe would probably see them devolve into an ugly fuming duo whose hate just fed the other and consumed them. In the end their lack of ability to move on would condemn them to ugly loneliness and an immaterial existance. Hate can do that to people.

Sounds like you got a little personal experience with that. Bummer.

Remembering back to my college years (there were a lot of them...). I recall that to be a voting member of most student orgs. you had to attend more than one meeting and in some cases actually register. But that probably would have dragged out the election scene too much. Anybody else wondering what Mark is like as a faculty advisor? ;)

You have no idea how good I am at helping my students totally enjoy their college experience.biggrin.gif

I really love the way that Stephs' character has evolved. From that immature teen who didn't know how to control his minds power. To the relaxed master effortlessly using his abilities and strengths and also his weaknesses. He and JP make a great team in the narrative.

He is a fun guy to write. You know what pisses me off? That I didn't come up with a surrogate for Tonto. Someone to step into her shoes. I loved her character.

Wade... For the second time in this series I'm finding myself drawn to a character. Getting those fleeting little ideas about, why can't he be real, wouldn't it be cool. (caught myself and changed it to cool) This is what I find so great about the entire series. The quality of the writing is such that the characters grow on you. They maintain personality from situation to situation and then over the longer narrative. Wade is a loving person, but his life has created a little bit of a Jekyll to him as well. It will be interesting to see how he comes to control the beast within. I'm sure it won't be completely smooth sailing. Politics is the art of compromise, maneuver (sp?) and then you have to remind yourself of what you are at your core. Lose track of that and Wade becomes just another political robot self perpetuating. Fortunately there is Matt. As long as they are truly together I doubt we'll lose the Wade we are coming to like so much.

Wade started off as sort of a side effort. I never really intended him to get this involved with Matt. My original thought was to make it a kind of nice but not super-serious relationship and then deal with the health thing. And his coming out. But the more I wrote him in, the more I liked the character. I have this vision in my mind of this perfectly polished, really hot guy with that smooth, almost oozing slow drawl of Virginia bluebloods, with a tone that isn't James Earl Jones deep but isn't Tobey Maguire chirpy either. I'll have to try to think of someone who has a voice like I visualize him having.

OK one last thought and I'm done. I find that I don't really care how the election turns out. I think that Matt and Wade will probably stay engaged in that group either way. While she may be a bit cold, Wades' Mom trained him well. He won't be able to take a back seat in life. This engagement with Jerry and Whist was fun for him as an exercise of that training. He has tasted spice, and he is awake. He may never want to be a senator or governor, but, he will never be just an observer either. Maybe I'm just a romantic but his first love to my understanding will always be Matt, not power.

I think I'll make him into Karl Rove. Or would it be better to just kill him off? (LOL).biggrin.gif

I think Clair might make a good tonto when she's older, i'd really like to know how come jack was never "Forced" into anything by some of the boys at school, even though his girlfriend is a girl....homophobes could've got him. I really wonder about him. lol But in order for clair to be tonto she has to lose pretty much everyone imidiate to herself.

i duno, make someone up there Mark you can DO IT!!! TONTO TONTO TONTO!!! (Hey how about a visit to the grave??? or.... i duno a celebration on her birthday/passing)

I think Clair might make a good tonto when she's older, i'd really like to know how come jack was never "Forced" into anything by some of the boys at school, even though his girlfriend is a girl....homophobes could've got him. I really wonder about him. lol But in order for clair to be tonto she has to lose pretty much everyone imidiate to herself.

Do you realize how much crap I get for being unrealistic because most of my characters are gay? And now you want me to take one of the few straight guys in the story and have him gang raped? As JP said, "Just shoot me now."blink.gif

i duno, make someone up there Mark you can DO IT!!! TONTO TONTO TONTO!!! (Hey how about a visit to the grave??? or.... i duno a celebration on her birthday/passing)

Maybe I'll resurrect her. sorcerer.gif No, I've got it! I'll say she was cryogenically frozen with Walt Disney. specool.gifWe can thaw them both out, cure them, and I can write Tonto into the story, and write you in boning Walt Disney. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Do you realize how much crap I get for being unrealistic because most of my characters are gay? And now you want me to take one of the few straight guys in the story and have him gang raped? As JP said, "Just shoot me now."blink.gif

I gotta agree with Mark. Worst idea. Ever. Anyways, I've enjoyed how Jack and Clare represent the people who were high school sweethearts, continued to be college sweethearts, and then got married. Every school had one of those couples.

Clare will be like Tonto, but she's only 34 years old in April 1999. It's gonna take awhile. And you can't really replace someone like Tonto anyway- a woman of independent means who was born at the start of the 20th century and asserted her own free will while chafing against conventional societal prejudices as she navigated the highs of the 1920's, the lows of the 1930's, and the turmoil of the 1940's. Clare can never be totally like Tonto because Clare was born in 1964, and came of age in the early 80's, as the first generation of women who really were able to advance in society and take advantage of the feminist revolution. She didn't have to fight against the blatant sexism and discrimination that women Tonto's age had to face.

So Wade is like JP with a soul. Matt is a mx of Robbie's cuddly ways and Brad's hot-headedness, as well as business acumen. I think JJ reminds me a lot of Stefan, only not as flamboyant. Still full of a zest for life and eagerness for new things to try and to have, though. Will is supposed to be like Brad's quiet, methodical side. We haven't really gotten to know Marie Hobart, John Hobart or Courtney Crampton, so I can't say yet who they're like. I guess for now, they default into being like Claire, Jack, and Ace. And Darius is like Ace, only better at controlling his temper.

Maybe I'll resurrect her. sorcerer.gif No, I've got it! I'll say she was cryogenically frozen with Walt Disney. specool.gifWe can thaw them both out, cure them, and I can write Tonto into the story, and write you in boning Walt Disney. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Bill Hendrickson, that dirty dawg, is JP's natural father. What we don't know is that Bill, that dirty dawg, was on a trip to France, had an affair with Isidore's mother, that dirty hoor, and had a daughter by her, ten years before JP was born.

So JP has a sister in law, who is also his sister, and ten years older than he is. She is cranky. Verrry cranky. Also, kind, loving, slightly dumb about some things but has a sharp eye out for anyone screwing with her family, and extremely wealthy.

She's a lot like this lady, Geraldine Fitzgerald, who played Arthur Bach's grandmother in the film Arthur:

Bitterman: Mr. Bach?

Arthur: Bitterman! How the hell are you?

Bitterman: Sir, what are you doing here?

Arthur: They said I'd never make it Bitterman, they said the city would eat me alive. But now look at me, I got my own pale and my own squeegee, I showed them ALL!

Martha Bach: Arthur?

Arthur: Martha!

Martha Bach: Arthur, what are you doing?

Arthur: Well, I was...

Martha Bach: Are you going to marry Susan Johnson or not?

Arthur: I already told you Martha, I can't!

Martha Bach: Enough is enough, Arthur. Marry the bitch!

Arthur: You marry her Martha!

That was pretty intense chapter... and we sort of guessed right when we were discussing Wade's problem here...

Well, yes and no. Actually, I didn't originally plan for Wade's father to have any sort of redemption, and I didn't have him suffering at the hands of HIS own father. But someone mentioned it (if I was slightly less lazy, I'd go back and look) and it was a damn good idea, so I changed things around.

Which gives me the opportunity to observe that those polls are sometimes quite useful. You listening Paya?biggrin.gif

Given the circumstances, Wade may one day forgive his father. But really, there's no relationship there that can be salvaged. There's only pain and hurt on Wade's part. His father remains a seven year old victim whose concept of love is so distorted...well, the best the senator can hope for is Wade's forgiveness.

Tough chapter. :(

Threesome! Threesome! Threesome! :2thumbs:

I have read and reread the saga over and over it only gets better. When you think it can't be better you top it again and again. I like Matt a lot now Wade is , even better. And maybe its their closeness to JP, their devotion for each other, their love. Wasn't it Cody who said something about great guys falling from the sky. Here are two of them, hopefully they will be as happy as Stef and J.P. or Brad and Robbie. I can see a bright future for them. I wish there were more like them in real life. I will be very sad :( when bloodlines ends. Only two more chapters! Redemption and forgiveness are good for both the forgiven and those who forgive. Thanks again Mark for this awesome gift, the whole CAP saga.

well, in "Methods of a poll survey" you would fail miserably because you bias your focus group and you let them bias you. ;):P BUT as a writer, it's awesome you let your readers express their ideas and you listen to them. ;)

laugh.gif

You are absolutely right. So what are you, a marketing major?

Given the circumstances, Wade may one day forgive his father. But really, there's no relationship there that can be salvaged. There's only pain and hurt on Wade's part. His father remains a seven year old victim whose concept of love is so distorted...well, the best the senator can hope for is Wade's forgiveness.

Tough chapter. :(

Threesome! Threesome! Threesome! :2thumbs:

Part of me thinks you're right, but another part thinks that the father-son bond is pretty strong. I don't see Wade as someone who carries a grudge, and while I'm not saying that being a victim of abuse and being pissed about it is as trite as that, I would think he has the ability to accept a sincere apology. I don't think the senator is going to get his nod for father-of-the-year, but I could see Wade getting to the point where their relationship is pleasant.

I have read and reread the saga over and over it only gets better. When you think it can't be better you top it again and again. I like Matt a lot now Wade is , even better. And maybe its their closeness to JP, their devotion for each other, their love. Wasn't it Cody who said something about great guys falling from the sky. Here are two of them, hopefully they will be as happy as Stef and J.P. or Brad and Robbie. I can see a bright future for them. I wish there were more like them in real life. I will be very sad :( when bloodlines ends. Only two more chapters! Redemption and forgiveness are good for both the forgiven and those who forgive. Thanks again Mark for this awesome gift, the whole CAP saga.

That's such a nice thing to say. Thanks!

as I recall, I was vice president of very similar club in our uni through the calendar year 1999.

our elections were in Nov-Dec, and the term was the calendar year

That must have been interesting. So what were the big issues you guys worked on? Any big projects?

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..