Happy National Coming Out Day!

Tiger

Im straight! I mean, I'm gay, I mean...can't we all just make love and get along?

B)............I've met Diana Ross many years ago '72, frankly found her to be a bit snooty, her son was very nice though.

B)............I've met Diana Ross many years ago '72, frankly found her to be a bit snooty, her son was very nice though.

Celebrities are like that sometimes. I just felt that the song was appropriate. :D

There was a march in dc and Speeches/rally Cynthia nixon spoke, Ms shepard, ((Matthew's mom), Dustin Lance Black, Lady Gaga, Lt Dan Choi.

Lt Dan Choi and nixon, judy sheppard are my favorite speeches. they all on youtube, dustin's and lady gaga's are good as well.

it goes from cynthia nixon introducing judy shepard, mostly it's judy's speech http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4JcXU-zLXw

Cynthia Nixon's speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o43Iu0JZgTU Dustin Lance black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sjp64DBGao talks about Gay Homeless Youth.

Edited by Drewbie

Better late than never...

here goes.

My partner and I got into our usual heated debate about "coming out" on , oddly enough, National Coming Out Day. He's the type of gay guy who believes it isn't important to tell anyone you're gay, because straight people don't go around telling everyone they're straight (I really hate that argument). But, as I've told him before; you don't have to hold back and remain silent when you could be telling someone about: Your boyfriend. Who you think is attractive. Telling people your opinion on gay marriage, and why. Discussing your past relationships. On and on

Edited by Chuck Straight

did you go to the work functions?

I agree with your argument though. I suppose it's hard if you have never done that all your life though. and then I don't even do that yet, but I will at some point - but it is scary. my friends though, that's how they live - for example, most she didn't come out to, it's just she talks about who she does or doesn't like and the such openly everywhere she is, she doesn't watch her words.

there is a radio host in the UK called Scott Mills on BBC radio 1 on the drive home from work. he's gay, but I don't think it's common knowledge to most of his listeners, it certainly wouldn't be to those that just tune in every now and then. he is however "out" in the press. The only reason I learnt was because there was an article in the guardian quoting him because he was gay and worked there, in response to a comment another DJ had made "that's gay" which had caused a bit of an outcry with some gay groups. Scott said he wasn't offended.

But after that it was obvious to me that he was gay from his radio show. only he doesn't use pronouns, he manages to avoid anything that would directly make you realise. but he does joke a lot with those on the show with him, they are always teasing him about something or some star, and he does joke back. Maybe I just didn't listen to the show enough before, or was dense, but it does seem he is becoming more and more direct about it in little ways. But yeah, it's a big effort not to say certain things. but it's a game to them on the show now, to see how far they can go without explicitly saying it.

Edited by Smarties

here's the show:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/scottmills/

if you ever felt like it you can listen to it. sometimes I like him, other times he just annoys the hell out of me. he really is pretty open about it, so I don't really see why he isn't just that little bit more open. My cynical side is because they think it would put off the listeners (he is on one of the prime-time shows for the station) and this is the compromise while giving them lots of material to make jokes out of it that fits their weird sense of humour they have. either that or he just doesn't want to talk about his private life on air, but then he makes loads of other personal jokes and the others on his show do reveal their lives here and there, or are even featured.

so yeah, stick with your arguments on visibility and exclusions, and public space being one of them. and not heard/seen then not there, or more easily able to exclude you (and not address your rights). or, normalising it as you said. and of course the effect is has on other LGBT people who notice that you are out, and how that may affect their future decisions, butterfly or snowball effect. there are plenty of theoretical arguments about power and society and how we and norms, practices are moulded etc etc etc. :)

Edited by Smarties

did you go to the work functions?

I agree with your argument though. I suppose it's hard if you have never done that all your life though. and then I don't even do that yet, but I will at some point - but it is scary. my friends though, that's how they live - for example, most she didn't come out to, it's just she talks about who she does or doesn't like and the such openly everywhere she is, she doesn't watch her words.

there is a radio host in the UK called Scott Mills on BBC radio 1 on the drive home from work. he's gay, but I don't think it's common knowledge to most of his listeners, it certainly wouldn't be to those that just tune in every now and then. he is however "out" in the press. The only reason I learnt was because there was an article in the guardian quoting him because he was gay and worked there, in response to a comment another DJ had made "that's gay" which had caused a bit of an outcry with some gay groups. Scott said he wasn't offended.

But after that it was obvious to me that he was gay from his radio show. only he doesn't use pronouns, he manages to avoid anything that would directly make you realise. but he does joke a lot with those on the show with him, they are always teasing him about something or some star, and he does joke back. Maybe I just didn't listen to the show enough before, or was dense, but it does seem he is becoming more and more direct about it in little ways. But yeah, it's a big effort not to say certain things. but it's a game to them on the show now, to see how far they can go without explicitly saying it.

Smarties,

I have been attending Richard's employee parties for the past 3 years. I like his coworkers, and on their invitations, it always says to bring "Chuck" instead of just a "guest". They treat me very well, and actually ask where I am if I wasn't able to be there with Richard for some reason. It's a relief for Richard knowing that he doesn't have to keep secrets at work, and he relates better to everyone because he can actually talk about what he does afterhours and on the weekends without homogenizing his conversations. Some of the girls at his office have asked if they could come with Richard and I to the gay clubs. They say they like the music better and feel safer for some reason.

I myself haven't been bashed even once (I don't count high school experiences), or did I witness extreme verbal bashing personally, and I never have witnessed any physical bashing.

And believe me, I know how lucky I am not to have witnessed any.

So far, the only real "bashing" I have had to contend with is from my ex-wife, who didn't bash gays until after I came out.

But I'll give her a pass because I know this whole thing was traumatic... for now (there's a whole story there too for some later time).

Smarties, the entertainment world is literally a bumper-crop of gay people.

And here in Los Angeles, there was a very good radio talk show host I used to listen to.

He became very ill (not from AIDS) and had to give up his show.

Like your guy in the UK, you didn't know he was gay until after listening to him for weeks.

And I'll be listening to the link you sent. Maybe today while I'm supposed to be "working".

I do appreciate it very much.

Edited by Chuck Straight

I absolutely agree with you. You don't have to wave your sexuality in people's faces for it to be pretty obvious to those you have anything more than the most fleeting relationship with. My attitude has always been that I don't like labels. I don't really like labelling myself as bisexual ... I am just sexual and sensual. I like sex and I like people... male or female. I have no problem with admitting openly that I would die for a night in the sack with Johnny Depp... or Nichole Kidman... preferably both :) I would no more turn down a possible intimate connection with someone because they are the wrong sex, colour, age, size or religion etc than I would turn down a threesome with the two perfect specimens of humanity previously mentioned. I don't push my sexuality on anyone but i don't hide it either... ever.

Smarties,

I have been attending Richard's employee parties for the past 3 years. I like his coworkers, and on their invitations, it always says to bring "Chuck" instead of just a "guest". They treat me very well, and actually ask where I am if I wasn't able to be there with Richard for some reason. It's a relief for Richard knowing that he doesn't have to keep secrets at work, and he relates better to everyone because he can actually talk about what he does afterhours and on the weekends without homogenizing his conversations. Some of the girls at his office have asked if they could come with Richard and I to the gay clubs. They say they like the music better and feel safer for some reason.

I myself haven't been bashed even once (I don't count high school experiences), or did I witness extreme verbal bashing personally, and I never have witnessed any physical bashing.

And believe me, I know how lucky I am not to have witnessed any.

So far, the only real "bashing" I have had to contend with is from my ex-wife, who didn't bash gays until after I came out.

But I'll give her a pass because I know this whole thing was traumatic... for now (there's a whole story there too for some later time).

Smarties, the entertainment world is literally a bumper-crop of gay people.

And here in Los Angeles, there was a very good radio talk show host I used to listen to.

He became very ill (not from AIDS) and had to give up his show.

Like your guy in the UK, you didn't know he was gay until after listening to him for weeks.

And I'll be listening to the link you sent. Maybe today while I'm supposed to be "working".

I do appreciate it very much.

I hope you like it, the show certainly isn't to everyone's taste. I checked and he's on holiday at the moment so you'll have to wait I presume until next week to hear him instead of his replacement.

Glad you managed to ease into the office :).

Hope things are going well.

celia