• Significant Other
    • SSP(same sex spouse)
    • Life Partner
    • Partner
    • Husband/Wife
    • Boyfriend/Girlfriend
    • Other Half
    • Better Half

I ask this because everyone has thier own term, but if you are in a longterm relationship, marriage, what do you call the person your are with?

Personally I prefer "husband", to me none of the other terms really describe the relationship and some even demean it in my opinion. I can't stand "partner" and "life partner" - we are not in business together. Significant Other - other what?? Boyfriend - high school was 25 years ago, please! Other Half - Better Half? Half of me is missing? The other person is better than me?? no. Same Sex Spouse, well it is correct but too long to say, lol!

wacko.gif

Edited by gmendias

Personally I like 'partner'. Relationships should be partnerships with each person being an equal partner. Partnerships denotes common intention and sharing everything equally.

Yeah I appreciate there is a business connotation as people can be business partners but I still think it works for relationships

I like "boyfriend". It may be that I'm just young, but I do think it fits the description well.

"Better half, significant over, etc" are cheesy and I don't think I can comfortably refer to someone as "partner".

Aside from all of these, I think I like just calling a guy, "my guy", that works just fine and it's cute. A step up from "he's my boyfriend" would be "he's my guy"

• Like 1

boyfriend is so much more sexy than "Significant Other." but i really don't do labels. it's so demeaning. i call the guy i go out with Kyle. i don't say "hey, bf!" i don't even say 'you're my bf.' but i might say 'you're mine, kyle.' it makes a huge difference.

I came up with a word of my own: Otwiah. (aut-wee-ah) Because I am Native American, everyone thinks it's an Algonquin word and I let them think that.

O ne

T o

W hom

I

A m

H eartbound

Oh Gods that is so ... hmm... I was going to say sweet but that is so not a good enough word.... awesome. *sigh* I wish I had someone I could use that for... I think even the last word is so powerful and poeting... hearbound :) yeah

I came up with a word of my own: Otwiah. (aut-wee-ah) Because I am Native American, everyone thinks it's an Algonquin word and I let them think that.

O ne

T o

W hom

I

A m

H eartbound

That is sooooo ..... I don't even have the word for what I want to say! Amazing will have to suffice for now. wub.gif

It is kind of like how my husband and I use "te amo" instead of "te quiero". Both mean I love you, but the first is more intimate......... THAT'S THE WORD!! It is INTIMATE!! biggrin.gif

Edited by gmendias

If you are legally married, husband or wife is preferred and the most accurate. The term spouse isn't incorrect, but it is gender-neutral and non-specific. Significant other and better half are cute little expressions that also lack specificity.

For those who are not married, an entirely different set of descriptive names and phrases are appropriate.

I like "boyfriend". It may be that I'm just young, but I do think it fits the description well.

If I said that I had a boyfriend, they would come to take me away. :ph34r:

You are young enough that it fits. :boy:

I use the term 'husband'. Since we will be crossing the 27 year anniversary of the start of it all in a couple of weeks, 'boyfriend' would just seem strange ... "you mean that after 27 years, you still haven't gotten past dating?" We were actually business partners for 3 years, when we decided to drop out and open a bookstore, but 'partner' is too sterile and misleading.

If we were an opposite sex couple, the state of Texas would absolutely insist that we are married under common law, so I see no reason not to use the terms accorded to a person who would commonly be recognized as a party of a civil marriage, even if the state refuses to legally recognize it. And, since there are two males and no females in the relationship, we each can be properly referred to as the other's husband.

partner seems to be on the rise in the UK. I hear people say that all the time. of course we have 'civil partnerships' that also goes with that. But loads say partner. but yeah to me it seems 'old' :P, and certainly serious. where I am no-where near that.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used the term "boyfriend," but it feels weird. I think "husband" would make me feel like a wife, but I don't know yet. To myself I use the term "interior paramour" and, when I'm annoyed, "sodding little catamite."

Partner i always think Business Partner, Partner in crime, Other Half... that sounds so cliche and has me thinking of that whole "You Complete me!!" line. My Better Half? So getting in a relationship has suddenly made me better?

Boyfriend i like and i'd introduce this person in my future as such and if people didn't like it they could kiss my ass :) Marriage wise i can say Husband cuz i live in Ontario Canada :) And yeah i'd want buddy to introduce me as his Wife :) "Trophy Wife" i like the ring of that!

I like using the word Significant Other because they would be a person who is Significantly close to me.. but that's almost like better half.

Life Partner.. scares me especially if you end up with a douche and your like "Oh god i'm stuck with him or her for life".