Open Club  ·  291 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

How Should the CAP Saga End?

methodwriter85

Was going to comment "Jeremy, isn't that the stuff we'd have grown up with?" That JJ and Will are exactly your age explains a bit. I can't imagine how that escaped my notice.

Both Will and JJ seem to be pretty focused on athletics, so I doubt they'd do what I did and almost overnight go from athlete to computer nerd. If Drew hangs around, he might be a mmorpg player, which started releasing around then (Everquest in March 99, Asheron's Call in November 99). Not sure though, we haven't really seen enough of him to get to know his interests, outside of Will's bedroom.

Edit: ooh, forgot to add. Circa 2000 was when the console wars broke out again with the near simultaneous releases of X-box, PS2, and Game Cube.

Also:

"The Real Slim Shady" made him popular, but it was the Marshall Mathers cd that put him over the top.

"The Real Slim Shady" was the first single from the Marshall Mathers cd.

Was going to comment "Jeremy, isn't that the stuff we'd have grown up with?" That JJ and Will are exactly your age explains a bit. I can't imagine how that escaped my notice.

Both Will and JJ seem to be pretty focused on athletics, so I doubt they'd do what I did and almost overnight go from athlete to computer nerd. If Drew hangs around, he might be a mmorpg player, which started releasing around then (Everquest in March 99, Asheron's Call in November 99). Not sure though, we haven't really seen enough of him to get to know his interests, outside of Will's bedroom.

Edit: ooh, forgot to add. Circa 2000 was when the console wars broke out again with the near simultaneous releases of X-box, PS2, and Game Cube.

Also:

Yeah, Will and JJ are my age...I was 13 in 1999 as well. I consider basically anyone born from 1984 to 1988 my contemporaries, i.e. the class of 2002 to the class of 2006. It's easy to forget that this is 1999 though- it's easy to forget that Will would be 23 and JJ would be 24 if they were in real time instead of CAP time. You know, I have an e-friend who is about the same age of Matt- I think the biggest different between people who are Matt's age and people who are JJ's age is that kids JJ's age were going online in middle school and had their first cell phones in middle school, whereas people Matt's age did so in high school. A subtle difference, but it makes a big difference, I think.

I don't think they'll become computer nerds, but going online became less and less of a nerdy thing as my high school years(2001-2005) unfolded.. We talked to our school friends online, usually with AIM, used Google a lot, and I remember Live Journal being pretty popular. Tthe gaming stuff is especially big- basically most guys Will and JJ's age play video games, with Halo, Madden NFL, Grand Theft Auto, and Call of Duty standing out as the big ones. I'm not big on video games, but I especially remember the fall of 2005, when EVERY guy on my freshmen dorm was playing Halo. Or poker. That's another one- poker, especially Texas Hold 'Em, just explodes in popularity with that group of guys.

And yeah, I got that Marshall Mathers thing mixed up. Oopps. I was thinking of the cd with "My Name Is" on it. Oh, well.

Some other trends I forgot to mention....wifebeaters, emo kids, straight-edge kids, the urban hipsters, pucca shell necklaces, 80's Adidas throwback sneakers, hemp bracelets, and anklets, Pumas sneakers, and lots and lots of flip-flops. I also remember Birkenstocks becoming HUGE in 2004-ish...all of the preppy kids I knew were wearing Birkenstocks.

Guys generally wear baggy jeans or cargo shorts that hit past the knee, which is in stark contrast to the tight jeans and short shorts that guys in Mark/Brad's generation dressed in. By about 2005, jeans started to get tighter again, but they were "tight" as in guys started wearing jeans that weren't actually about to fall off their ass. If you were a self-declared "metrosexual" or you were emo, you wore tighter jeans, which were often actually girl-cut jeans. And it's only recently that I've started to see guys in this age group wear shorts that actually go above the knee.

Another trend I noticed was that the short and spiky 'do of circa 2000 seemed to give way to longer, more naturally styled hair by about 2003-ish....I remember feathered hair among guys making a comeback, especially with guys who were like surfers or lacrosse players.There was also the emo look with longer hair as well. Or guys went the other direction and completely shaved their heads ala Wentworth Miller or Channing Tatum. There seemed to be less of a middle ground, I think.

Edited by methodwriter85

Also:

The X-Box and PS2 are on my radar screen.Posted Image

Good to know that, Mark. I don't know that many middle-class or better kids who didn't have either an X-Box or PS2.

I was in the bar tonight, with a band that likes to cover a lot of songs from my youth, and it made of think of songs that I'm pretty much incredibly likely to use, since JJ and Will's growing up soundtrack is bascially the same as mine.

Here's a portion of future music recomendations from me, as we see the CAP family navigate the '00s. Runs the gamut of silly pop tunes to serious angst stuff...If you guys have like an hour to kill, give it a listen. LOL.

"One Step Closer" by Linkin Park(2000)

"Teenage Dirtbag" by Wheatus(2001)

"Lose Yourself" by Eminem (2002)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgg04EekxIc

"Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes(2003)

"Stacey's Mom" by Fountains of Waynes (2003)

"Mr. Brightside" by the Killers (2004)

"Run" by Snow Patrol (2004)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP5j_Q9CZ3w&feature=related

"Rain" by Breaking Benajmin (2005)

"Where'd You Go" by Fort Minor (2006)

"Young Folks" by Peter, Bjorn, & John (2006/7)

"Paper Planes" by M.I.A. (2008)

"Circus" by Britney (2009)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8ytM0rl_uU

God, "Circus" is going to be SOOOOO perfect for a Crampton gathering.

"I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz (2009)

I listen to a really wide range of music. To say the least. LOL. That's going to help me a lot as I'm doing music for this story.

I'm very flattered with the way you guys think. It's as if when I stop writing CAP, time ends. It doesn't, it goes on. I can't?

You've brought to life a true dynasty. Every time an empire ends, the world where they were living ends with them. So basically, yes... time does end with the end of CAP. If the fall of Rome is any indication, the Schutlers-Cramptoms cannot go any other way. And I'm pretty sure all of us will go with them to the very last word. I fear they day it happens.

Late 2011??? :o

I figure there's probably about three or four stories left, which will take us up to present-day and therefore end-time for the CAP saga. Three or four stories...I figure that will take Mark about another year, and then we say good-bye to the Cramptons/Schluters/Hayes for good!

Although Mark could concieveably do a story set in ever yeary of this past decade, but I doubt he's going to do that. I mean, there were some really boring years in the 2000's, like 2002 and 2007.

Edited by methodwriter85

I figure there's probably about three or four stories left, which will take us up to present-day and therefore end-time for the CAP saga. Three or four stories...I figure that will take Mark about another year, and then we say good-bye to the Cramptons/Schluters/Hayes for good!

You have to account for my lowered productivity during the school year.

And while we wait...more future music recomendations from me, ranging from silly pop to angst...

"Flavor of the Weak" by American Hi-Fi (2000)

"Outside" by Staind (2001)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW0hHjLzABU

"Just Like A Pill" by Pink (2002)

"Milkshake" by Kelis (2003)

This is basically Matt Carrswold's theme. LOL.

"California" by Phantom Planet (2003)

The O.C. Man. It's the only experience I've had where EVERYONE I knew was watching the same show as I was. It was huge, if only briefly.

"Where Is the Love?" by the Black Eyed Peas (2003)

I agree with Mark that the Iraq War is going to drive JP INSANE.

"Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand (2004)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=los6obvBbqU

"Float On" by Modest Mouse (2004)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWvh85Qd8us

"Hollaback Girl" by Gwen Stefani (2005)

"When You Were Young" by the Killers (2006)

"Glamorous" by Fergie (2007)

This is going to be like the perfect theme song for the Cramptons/Schluters. LOL.

• 5 weeks later...

I just ran into this song that I remember absolutely loving when I was 18....

Mark, can we get Will celebrating his 18th birthday in Amsterdam so I can use this song? Please? *hopeful puppy dog face*

LOL, j/k. Actually I'm pretty sure this song is really about a guy with a girlfriend who's addicted to drugs.

• 1 month later...

Hey, just to let you guys know, over in another forum we've been having an interesting discussion related to this thread. It started out with me asking about what Malibu High School is like, in preparation for Mark's inevitable story that takes us through JJ and Will's high school years. It's morphed into a debate about where the kids should/will go to college...it's been interesting.

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/28503-is-anyone-familiar-with-malibu-high-school/page__st__50__gopid__271463

I think at least one of them should wind up getting out of CA. I mean, there's the fact that almost all of the Be Rad generation left CA for college, and I think that gave them a more rounded experience to get to experience a prolonged living situation in a different region. There were some compelling arguments as to why Darius and Will would stay in California, but I'm still thinking JJ should be the one who strikes out on his own and heads out East.

The other thing I speculated a bit about is wondering what happens to Wade and Matt when they graduate from college in '02. If they're still together, how are they going to handle what happens after graduation? Is Matt going to stay in California? Go back to Ohio?(Unlikely.) Go to New York City to work on the New York Stock Exchange or something? Would Wade stay in California, or go back to DC?

It looks like Mark has set up Matt/Wade as the Brad/Robbie of the current generation, especially with the way Mark's worked in Wade's family. But they're still only sophomores...you gotta wonder if they're really long haul or not. I don't quite feel the "soulmates" deal with them that I felt with Brad and Robbie, so...it'd be interesting if Wade actually turns out to be the Max of his generation, and Matt's "Robbie" has yet to be written.

I said this in the Millenium thread, but I'd like to see Drew have an impact later in the saga. Perhaps when Will is narrator, he can spring from the woodwork. I'm not sure if that's a good idea though, as characters that drift away then come back tend to do so as antagonists...

Actually, wait. Will having a showdown against his first "love" might be cool.

It looks like Mark has set up Matt/Wade as the Brad/Robbie of the current generation, especially with the way Mark's worked in Wade's family. But they're still only sophomores...you gotta wonder if they're really long haul or not. I don't quite feel the "soulmates" deal with them that I felt with Brad and Robbie, so...it'd be interesting if Wade actually turns out to be the Max of his generation, and Matt's "Robbie" has yet to be written.

I wonder about this myself, actually. And if Matt is actually the Brad of his generation. He seems set to become the Cody.

If I just create another Brad/Robbie, it would be pretty repetitive and boring. I'm still trying to figure out why any of them would want to leave California, especially if pot is legalized.Posted Image

I have no clue whether Drew will reappear or not. Or whether or not he'll be evil if he does. Posted Image

I don't know, Blue, I think it's been pretty obvious that Matt has been set up as the Brad of this generation. Particularly with the comments in Bloodlines and in The Box, where people commented on how Matt is similiar to Brad. LOL. I think Matt is definitely sluttier than Brad was, but I think he COULD settle down when he gets to the latter part of his 20's, unlike Cody. And I feel like Matt and Wade are the type of guys who will have kids, unlike say Cody or Marcel. Whether it's within the context of them being together or with other partners, I feel like they're definitely going to end up Daddies at some point like Brad and Robbie did. Matt's also more outgoing, so I'm seeing Matt as like Brad, but with shades of Stefan's sluttiness and gregarious nature.

Wade has been written as being somewhat like JP, but much, much less closed off and a little less formal. Will's like his daddy, but without the fashion sense. JJ is the one that doesn't really have an equivalent- that's because Jeremy is just so interesting and unique that the mold was broken when he was created.

Mark, I don't mean doing Brad and Robbie all over again. Trust me, if Will somehow met some errant Hayes boy at the 2004 Fourth of July Claremont Festival I'm sure there would be some major bitching. I just meant like, you know, people who are together for the long haul, and will settle down into nice families, giving lie to the idea that all gay men are just circuit bois like Cody.

As for Drew coming back....hmm. That could be kinda cool to see a 17-year old Will face off against his first love. Presumably while he's building a relationship with another guy.

Edited by methodwriter85

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I found this online-

The Malibu High School Class of 2005 graduated June 23 with a full stadium of proud parents, relatives and friends attending ceremonies to cheer them on their success.

Out of the 171 graduates, 59 percent are planning to attend four-year colleges, 37 percent are planning to attend two-year colleges or technical schools, while a handful are planning to work or travel, and one graduate will join the military.

This is Malibu High's 13th graduating class.

I couldn't find much on Darius's class, but here you have it for the class of 2005. So that graduation will be held on Thursday, June 23rd, 2005. 171 is somewhat of a small class- not tiny, but not one of those huge 300+ classes that both of my sisters had. (I graduated in a class of 82 people.) I think that means that these kids have to interact more with one another, for better or worse. Sometimes going to a smaller school was a good thing. Sometimes you just wanted to throttle people.

On a side note, my own graduation got held on June 2nd, 2005. (or 3rd.)

Here's another cool thing I found...

Where Is the Class of '05 Going?

It gives Mark a really good ideas for names. To get this generation right, JJ and Will are going to know multiple Matthews, Christophers, John's, and Mike's. Justin, Jason(maybe spelled Jaysen), and Brian are three other big names for that age cohort. Jennifer is a big one for girls. So are Ashley/Ashleigh, Jessica, Brittany, and Sarah. Kelly seems like a popular name for this class and this school. The cartoon Recess had a running joke about how popular Ashley/Ashleigh/Ashlee was for girls, as there were three girls in one class named Ashley and they had to refer to one another by their last initial to differentiate.

Other names I'd recomend for Mark when he gets around to the class of '05: Kendra, Breana, Ian, Melissa, Emily, Elizabeth, Liana, Sean, Steven, Shane, James, Josh, Kaylie/Kayla, Daniel/Danielle, Alex/Alexandra, Caitlyn, Chase, Crystal, Chelsea, Hannah, Meghan, Trevor, Eric, Aaron, Kyle, Tyler, and Taylor. Zachary could be good as well.

The other thing that Mark might want to try doing is reflecting that in the mid/late '80's, there were parents who started going with alternative spellings to try and make common names sound less common. Most affected were the many variations of Ashley , Brittany, and Kate, but I also knew a Kiel. In that 2005 class listing, there's also an "Alixzandra". Will has a best friend named Jason, but I bet he also knows a Jayson or something.

As a final tip, Mark, when a doubt, pick a "J" name. That never, ever goes wrong when you're choosing names for characters who were born in the Reagan Era.

One great little period detail I loved about Be Rad is that the names of Gunn High's characters were often the names that were popular to name babies in the early/mid-1960's, which is when those characters would have been born. Mark did the same thing again when he picked the names of Matt Carrswold's friends as well. I thought I'd help a little since there are so many characters and therefore so many names we need to pick out.

Blue, are there any names I'm missing that you remember as being common/trendy to people born in the 1980's?

Edited by methodwriter85

Everyone I knew in the 80's into the early 90's spoke Spanish as their primary or secondary language, or was the child of such a person. That sort of colors my memories. We also favored names that had easy translations into English. My first name is Pedro, but my family called/s me Peter. I haven't tried to get them to call me Gabriel, I know lost causes when I'm related to them. Alejandro, Juanita, Cristobal (though that wasn't nearly as common as Christopher itself), Juan, Maria, Rogelio, Sandra, Angelina, Armando, Lourdes (Marylou), Louisa, Blanca, Carlos, Marcela, Rosa, and others. If it is consolation, you hit every big name I can recall, but if I think of anything I'll speak up.

It's nice to finally have an explanation for why I pick character names that start with J so often. I swear, they all start off Jeremy, Jason, or Gerald, and I have to rename them once I've noticed what I've done (again).

On an interesting note, I'm seeing variant spellings seem almost more common than traditional. It's like it is starting to be assumed, especially if the child in question is Black.

I also assume anyone named Trevor is gay. It seems to be a code word in media now, after that HBO special by Ellen a few years ago, and I feel bad for any Trevors I come across in real life. Strangely, a disproportinate number of them have been gay so far.

Edit: I DO remember a name not on the list: Andrew/Drew. I know at least six of them. I assume you didn't include it because it's already been used?

Everyone I knew in the 80's into the early 90's spoke Spanish as their primary or secondary language, or was the child of such a person. That sort of colors my memories. We also favored names that had easy translations into English. My first name is Pedro, but my family called/s me Peter. I haven't tried to get them to call me Gabriel, I know lost causes when I'm related to them. Alejandro, Juanita, Cristobal (though that wasn't nearly as common as Christopher itself), Juan, Maria, Rogelio, Sandra, Angelina, Armando, Lourdes (Marylou), Louisa, Blanca, Carlos, Marcela, Rosa, and others. If it is consolation, you hit every big name I can recall, but if I think of anything I'll speak up.

It's nice to finally have an explanation for why I pick character names that start with J so often. I swear, they all start off Jeremy, Jason, or Gerald, and I have to rename them once I've noticed what I've done (again).

On an interesting note, I'm seeing variant spellings seem almost more common than traditional. It's like it is starting to be assumed, especially if the child in question is Black.

I also assume anyone named Trevor is gay. It seems to be a code word in media now, after that HBO special by Ellen a few years ago, and I feel bad for any Trevors I come across in real life. Strangely, a disproportinate number of them have been gay so far.

Edit: I DO remember a name not on the list: Andrew/Drew. I know at least six of them. I assume you didn't include it because it's already been used?

Drew. That's a good one.

Drew. That's a good one.

We could call an Andrew "Andy" instead, so as to differentiate from Will's first boyfriend. Brian, Justin, and Mike have already been used, but I figure Mark can use those names again since it's a different cohort. He already re-used Jason for Will's best friend. And if he wants to be true to life experience, JJ and Will are going to know a ton of Mike's, Chris's, and John's. (For whatever reason, I knew a TON of Steve's as well.)

The other big names I missed were Jake, Ryan, and David. Lindsay should be on there as well.

As for the J-thing, it is pretty true. Think of it- Jennifer, Jason, Justin, John, James, Joseph, Jeffrey, Jake, Jessica, Josh, Jeremy- all of them were top 40 names in the '80's.

Some trendy-but-not-really-common names I ran across: Brandy, Ariel, Mason, Mackenzie(we called him Mack)

Here are some links to look at:

Top Baby Names of 1986

Top Baby Names of 1987

I'd include '85, but really, JJ for all intents and purposes might as well have been born in 1986. I like that Mark gave the family a bit of a mini-baby boom in 1985 to '87, which is true to the American experience- there WAS a mini-baby boom starting in the mid/late '80's. It's why college became an absolute bitch to get into.

Edited by methodwriter85

• 3 weeks later...

Did some research. X-box comes out in North America in November 2001. PS2 comes out October 2000. Game Cube is out November 2001 as well. Pretty close- you're right.

I don't see the guys as hardcore gamers, but they will be playing stuff like Grand Theft Auto, Madden NFL, and Tomb Raider with their friends.

I think it's a tad hasty to think about the CAP series ending. There may only be 10 years left, but that's a lot in fiction, & more than enough to keep us entertained for quite some time to come.

Prequels are all well & good, but we more or less know the outcome from series already posted, although maybe not the detail a new series would give. The Box I guess would fall into that catagory, but that was a job very well done by Mark who made it more than interesting.

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..