If you hear....

Lugh

If you were to hear the following phrases in conversation what US City or State pops into your mind first:

"redneck hell"

"the gay mecca USA"

"the middle of nowhere"

Thank you,

Lugh

the grumpy old man of chat

I think of Mississippi and Alabama as "redneck hell". Some would call Texas such, but it's really not. Mississippi and Alabama, however, strike me as having a much heavier redneck influence.

This is an interesting one, "the gay mecca USA". For as state, that's easy. Massachusetts is definitely a gay mecca. However, one could consider New York City, San Francisco, or (believe it or not) Austin, Texas.

I really can't narrow it down to one state, because three come to mind for "the middle of nowhere". Alaska only has one "city", and that's Anchorage. There are small towns elsewhere in the state, but the second and third largest are just above 30,000 people. The state has about 1.2 people per square mile. So, there's more "middle of nowhere" in Alaska than any other state. As for the continental US, Wyoming and Montana have population densities between 5 and 6 per square mile. There's plenty of "middle of nowhere" in those states as well.

"redneck hell" would be somewhere that rednecks are uncomfortable. Somewhere where there is no college football, NASCAR or Bass Pro Shops. Someplace with a lot of sophistication where people use a lot of big words and drink 5$ a cup coffee.

"the gay mecca USA" can only be San Francisco

"the middle of nowhere" is relative to where you define no where's boundaries. Once the boundaries have been established, calculating the middle of no where requires a few simple first order differential equations.

Redneck Hell - Anywhere Hawaii

The Gay Mecca of the USA - San Francisco (It's not even illegal to be nude in public, there---but it should be for some people anyway)

The Middle of Nowhere(?) - Riverdale, Calfornia. (the town's so small it has one blinking light on top each stop-sign of a 4-way stop, if you blink, you can make it over the railroad tracks and never even notice 'town'. (AND: There isn't even a McDonalds or Starbucks there)

Edited by kjames

"redneck hell" := I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Tennessee

"the gay mecca USA" := San Francisco, in spite of Prop 8

"the middle of nowhere" := From the case presented for Alaska, it sounds like statistically that may be the correct choice, but I have driven through Kansas a couple of times and I certainly thought I was in the middle of nowhere for a l-o-n-g time.

If you were to hear the following phrases in conversation what US City or State pops into your mind first:

"redneck hell"

"the gay mecca USA"

"the middle of nowhere"

Thank you,

Lugh

Considering I'm not an american and am geographically challenged...

"redneck hell"- Mississippi

"the gay mecca USA"- California

"the middle of nowhere"- Idaho

Am I close?

James, I don't think any of them caught your definition of "Redneck Hell"...shame on you, you're all reading but not paying attention!

It's not a place you'd FIND 'em!

It's a place where they'd be tortuously uncomfortable!

NO College Football, NO BASSPRO shops, NO NASCAR to drive to in 2 hours or less, and where people will USE BIG WORDS AND PAY $5 for a cup of coffee--HELLO!!!!!!!

Anybody home?!?!?

Edited by KJames

James, I don't think any of them caught your definition of "Redneck Hell"...shame on you, you're all reading but not paying attention!

It's not a place you'd FIND 'em!

It's a place where they'd be tortuously uncomfortable!

NO College Football, NO BASSPRO shops, NO NASCAR to drive to in 2 hours or less, and where people will USE BIG WORDS AND PAY $5 for a cup of coffee--HELLO!!!!!!!

Anybody home?!?!?

I think we need to add to that list: A place where people have more than half their original teeth. :P

"redneck hell"

"the gay mecca USA"

"the middle of nowhere"

Thank you,

Lugh

Redneck hell = Texas

gay mecca... San Francisco< CA

Middle of nowhere = Utah, South Dakota,

• Like 1