If you had to buy a laptop today?

What kind of budget are we talking?

Since presently I have no budget, I guess I'm going to have to go with Air. Oh wait, that's a Macbook. So...if I had a budget I'd buy a Macbook Pro for about 3k.

For PCs, HP has been good to me, I'd probably stick with them. With the same specs an HP would probably cost 1100-1200. That's what I have right now, an HP I bought for 1199.

Are you shopping? Are we looking at <1000, <1500? Would a netbook work for you?

I have an advent. I have had it for about 18 months. It has never let me down and, believe me it's been through a lot. The keys are practically worn through with grooves where my nails are but it is still fast and efficient. I bought it for about

Tarin, thanks for replying. A friend called this morning with that proclamation, "I am going to buy a laptop today. Will you help me?" Tarin you know how little I know about computers. But I would guess his budget is on the low side. No Macbook I am thinking. 1500 and under I am imagining. I have a Toshiba Satellite, that I bought on sale a year ago for 800. It seems to do everything for me?

Thanks Tarin I will listen to any advice.

Sam

Well, Sam, it all really depends on what he needs it for. If he is just going to do typing and net surfing, something like a low-end Toshiba is fine (like yours). Asus is also a decent budget brand. Personally I would stay away from Lenovo and Dell. He could probably find a sufficient model for 600$ or less.

Check ebay! They've got great deals on awesome computers. I got my $500+ iBook G4 lappy for $200 flat ($20 shipping.)

What is this person gonna be doing with their laptop, because that can really mean everything. If they're an artist, or have a lot of artsy needs, go with a mac. If you're going to do business things or be using word processor a lot, go with a PC. In terms of OS, Mac is much more stable then Windows 7, Vista or XP.

Toshiba is a good, durable laptop. I'm personally iffy about HP or Compaqs; I've got an old Win 98 Compaq tower-tank and it's never let me down, but it's a dinosaur. I've also had custom PCs, and while they're good, you have to have a computer expert on call the *moment* anything happens or needs to be replaced. Unless, of course, *you* built your custom lol.

All in all, go bargan hunting. Online shopping offers you the best deals. If I'm understanding you right, you said the budget was $1 thousand plus? If you get a PC, don't forget all the software you'll need. Virus scanners, windows os disks, Office/Word/Works and the like; you'll have to do the same with a mac too. There are some free programs you can download, like GUMP instead of Photoshop or Bean/Open Office instead of Word.

Oh! Here's some good specs for you! 512 or higher ram, 52X CD Rom OR 8/12X DVD (I think there are 12s now, not sure on that one) - nothing under 20 gigs! If you do any serious downloading, you'll have to start rationing memory and that sucks! >.< I had to do that for my custom at 24 gig. Ung, *shudder*. Also, don't forget screen size. 12 is rather small, but good for something you wanna hold on your lap. 14/15 is good for tabletop. In my opinion, anything bigger then 15, you might as well get a tower/tv screen lol ^_^.

I hope some of that helped. I had to go something similar when I got my little lappy. I used to be pure Windows, but now I try to point people towards Macs. Secure OS and *no* viruses; you do get a freeze ever now and then, but only because I'm seriously overclocking my ram >.<. I hope you find what you're looking for ^_^.

Over the last 2 decades i have (ab)used a lot of notebooks of different brands (except Apple, because i always needed windoze compatible hardware) - and Toshiba, HP, Acer and Dell have done the job. My impression is thought that with the drop in hardware prices especially over the last 6 years the hardware and service quality lost a lot too. My last Toshiba notebook started to act funny after 2 years, and Toshiba refused to repair it on warranty (even though i had a 3 year "professional" warranty) because of some scratches on the casing (-> physical damage voids the warranty...). A friends "consumer" Toshiba died just after his 2 year warranty period was over. So one could get the impression that Toshiba has a quality problem nowadays (I never had a problem with my Toshiba notebooks back in the 90ties....).

Well, i heard that all (or at least most) manufacturers.. nowadays try to "void" the warranty and refuse repairs when the case is "visible" damaged (even if that is not related to the hardware problem...) but i was pissed so I got a Dell (Precision ) notebook to replace it - which works fine so far (and i am a "heavy duty" user).

All in all, i dont see any brand that really stands out though (except that i am still pissed with Toshibas service... and the way they responded to my inquiries). They all offer low price "consumer" models and higher priced "professional" models. I'd do the shopping by "budget" (thats what i do with friends that ask for my advice...), and check for "nice price" offers, and look at things like glossy displays (i dont like them much, but some people prefer them...) screen size and resolution etc etc.

Check ebay! They've got great deals on awesome computers. I got my $500+ iBook G4 lappy for $200 flat ($20 shipping.)

What is this person gonna be doing with their laptop, because that can really mean everything. If they're an artist, or have a lot of artsy needs, go with a mac. If you're going to do business things or be using word processor a lot, go with a PC. In terms of OS, Mac is much more stable then Windows 7, Vista or XP.

Toshiba is a good, durable laptop. I'm personally iffy about HP or Compaqs; I've got an old Win 98 Compaq tower-tank and it's never let me down, but it's a dinosaur. I've also had custom PCs, and while they're good, you have to have a computer expert on call the *moment* anything happens or needs to be replaced. Unless, of course, *you* built your custom lol.

All in all, go bargan hunting. Online shopping offers you the best deals. If I'm understanding you right, you said the budget was $1 thousand plus? If you get a PC, don't forget all the software you'll need. Virus scanners, windows os disks, Office/Word/Works and the like; you'll have to do the same with a mac too. There are some free programs you can download, like GUMP instead of Photoshop or Bean/Open Office instead of Word.

Oh! Here's some good specs for you! 512 or higher ram, 52X CD Rom OR 8/12X DVD (I think there are 12s now, not sure on that one) - nothing under 20 gigs! If you do any serious downloading, you'll have to start rationing memory and that sucks! >.< I had to do that for my custom at 24 gig. Ung, *shudder*. Also, don't forget screen size. 12 is rather small, but good for something you wanna hold on your lap. 14/15 is good for tabletop. In my opinion, anything bigger then 15, you might as well get a tower/tv screen lol ^_^.

I hope some of that helped. I had to go something similar when I got my little lappy. I used to be pure Windows, but now I try to point people towards Macs. Secure OS and *no* viruses; you do get a freeze ever now and then, but only because I'm seriously overclocking my ram >.<. I hope you find what you're looking for ^_^.

I agree with the "artsy" thing for Mac.. but not with the "more stable OS". Friends of mine that use Macs have had at least as many problems with the "OS stability" as the windoze users. Its one of the myths that Steve Jobs manages to keep going. It used to be true in the early windows years, but (and i am NOT really a Microsoft fan) since XP and 2000 windows is as stable or unstable as the Mac os. And the "no virus" thing may change faster than Steve Jobs likes (there are plenty of security issues with Mac OS... more than there are with Windows) and with the growing number of Mac users chances that people start writing malware/viruses for Mac are getting higher ;).

Dont get me wrong. Macs are nice PCs. They look better than most "windoze" PCs. And they are more expensive. But they are not better or worse - just different.

I run an IT shop and I spec systems out often, so here's what I'd do:

Windows machine:

If you're going with HP or Dell, go with their business machines - HP: http://www.hp.com/sbso/busproducts_notebooks.html or

Dell: http://www.dell.com/business/laptops

The reason to go to the business side is that support is much better and build quality is more consistent.

Toshiba and HP laptops consistently rate highly in quality surveys. I'm not all that familiar with Toshiba.

Windows 7 home premium, professional or ultimate

If you are getting a 32 bit OS, then at least 2 GB and if possible, 3 GB of RAM.

If you are getting a 64 bit OS, then at least 4 GB of RAM.

320 GB hard drive

For displays, the "glossy" displays tend to be brighter but are more susceptible to glare and fingerprints (HP calls this "Brightview"). The more RAM on the video card, the better (I like to spec for 512MB or better if its affordable).

Get Bluetooth if it's available and then get a Bluetooth mouse as an accessory.

Office software (if needed: Office 2007 home and student (unless you need Outlook - most people do not).

Get an extra power adapter. One goes in the bag, one stays on the desk.

Get an extended battery warranty. Batteries last about a year, sometimes more, but they cost over $150 to replace, typically. My warranty has paid for itself twice.

Get an extended system warranty if possible. If not, get an onsite warranty for the first year at least. Well worth it for the onsite support for warranty problems rather than shipping your laptop in for service.

Do NOT get an extended warranty through Best Buy. In fact, do NOT buy a computer from Best Buy. Let me repeat that: Do not buy a computer at Best Buy. You will rue the day.

Here is a "typical" HP laptop I might spec for a customer on a budget. This is not a customized machine, this is just an example, so don't take this as gospel, but it might make a good starting point.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/321957-321957-64295-3929941-3955552-4021356.html

My Toshiba laptop lasted two years then got to be unbearably crappy so I chucked it down the stairs.

Both my laptop and desktop is Dell. Probably not the best, but they haven't really disappointed me yet. My XPS desktop is 2 years old and still runs brand new. :)

Noooo HP! Really, HP have the worst in Laptop reliability:

17nov09compach0qw83.jpg

This was posted on Engadget in November of last year, where 30,000 laptops were tested.

I have actually had bad experiences with HP myself, having had my neighbour (who STILL buys HP yet always having a problem with them), ask me/family for help many times. (Issues were hardware related.) As for my laptops, my house has had two Toshiba's and an (Apple) MacBook. All have run very well without any major issues, and I'd recommend either.

A few of my friends and family members also have Toshiba's, and they're running good too.

Oh, another thing that may be of interest, and I'm not on a mission to bash HP here, but I REALLY hate their trackpads. They're all glossy, which creates a crazy amount of friction on them. Just something you should be aware of.

* Not wanting to step on Hoskin's toes- as he's clearly in a better position to advise than I am, the data was taken from a company that sells extended warranties. So HP's business laptops may not be accurately represented in the table.

• Like 1

You won't step on my toes, believe me. I'm not beholden to any one maker of these things :)

My experience is with all business class machines. I think that anything bought through the "home/home office" section of any manufacturer site is junk. You get what you pay for. Home computers are the cheapest units they sell, because consumers will, 90% of the time, sacrifice quality for the sake of a few bucks.

I've seen, consistently, that HP/Dell/Lenovo/Gateway will throw the cheapest components in the home line, because the machines aren't made to last, they make them to move them off the store shelves. This also means that finding drivers is difficult because you never know "which component was put into which batch" of machines at the factory.

In the business lines, quality is stepped up and components are consistent across the product lines, because IT departments insist on it.

But on the whole, I'm actually quite hardware-neutral. When you dig into it, there are only 3 manufacturers of memory chips and only 2 or three screen makers for notebooks. We may be down to 2 hard drive makers now, I'm not sure who-bought-who last. By the time you dig through all the components that are in the machines, they're all coming from the same places, the differences are in build quality and in the software builds.

My real advice here is to get the machine that fits the job, and for most people, that translates to an OS that works well and is familiar (either MacOS or Windows 7, Linux tends to be a bit wonky for the average Joe/Josephine), don't forget to buy Office software (except on a Mac, just go with iWork for the best experience), many people prefer a mouse to a trackpad, and I can't count the number of times I've left my power adapter home when I needed it with me.

Also, batteries are expensive and it sucks to ship your computer into the factory to be fixed, because you're without it for two weeks or sometimes longer. So get a warranty on those items that will let the unit be fixed on site, i.e. next business day.

Oh and regarding Macs: Don't get a Macbook, spend the extra dough on a Macbook Pro. The build quality is exponentially better.

Oh and one more thing: Include an external drive for backup or use an offsite service. There's no excuse for lost data. I like this hard drive because of its 5 year warranty: http://www.buy.com/prod/seagate-freeagent-go-1tb-usb-2-0-portable-hard-drive-tuxedo-black/q/loc/101/212415651.html

Edited by Hoskins

I'm happy with what I've got.

I teach, do research, am writing a dissertation, and various other functions. I am totally in love with macbook pro 13"

it's small, compact, and reliable. I HAD a Dell laptop, but got the Blue Screen of Death too many times to trust it anymore. Because yes, I'm too lazy and forgetful to back up on a regular basis.

For pricing, I'd check Frys.com and HP.com.

In my view, there are lots of solid machines in the $650 U.S. range. Try to get a new Quad 4 chip (i3 or i7), 4 gigs of memory, a separate display adaptor, and Windows 7 (if you're going PC).

HP.com is running weekly specials.

Thanks guys and gals for all this great advice. I read it all with interest. You guys are so great.

Here is the result of a day of computer seek.

My friend bought a Dell.

With an i5 processor.

4gb.

500 hard drive.

Windows 7.

17 screen.

$700.

Best Buy.

With extras.

It was a compromise. Between money and need and likes and dislikes.

Thanks so much for the help. It really was helpful.

Sam

:*)

Thanks guys and gals for all this great advice. I read it all with interest. You guys are so great.

Here is the result of a day of computer seek.

My friend bought a Dell.

With an i5 processor.

4gb.

500 hard drive.

Windows 7.

17 screen.

$700.

Best Buy.

With extras.

It was a compromise. Between money and need and likes and dislikes.

Thanks so much for the help. It really was helpful.

Sam

:*)

Thats the "compromise" most byers have to go with.... and it doesnt sound bad :)

Now i recommend not looking at special offers for at least a couple of months. There is always a better bargain just after you pushed the "buy" button :)

• 2 months later...

I would buy, and am buying, a high-end 15" Macbook Pro. Has decent graphics, great processor, great hard drive space, and the screen is absolutely beautiful! The price for that is about $2,400. Thankfully I can buy that with my Financial Aide I get for college and I get discounts because of my Major. :P

i brought a 15.6" toshiba laptop yesterday, cost me (well mum :P ) $1735.95 including all the programs i wanted

i quite like it because it has great graphics, since im a gaming freak, so i would recommend it for games and stuff, plus my model is harder to break if you drop it

we walked into the good guys thinking about buying a laptop for my school work because im doing an online tafe course, and walked out spending a grand more then we though we would pay, but its payed off

my mum didnt like paying so much for a computer but i would rather get a computer that im happy with then compromise and not be happy with everything

i would have brought a mac, buy my step mum has one and i didnt want to share the same type of laptop as her

My little 10" Acer Notebook has been GREAT! I spent about 700 dollars. I use the Microsoft Office Suit and have had no problems. On the Internet, it's a bit slow, but I never meant for it to be an Internet computer.

I use my 27" Apple for Internet. The apple if a plow horse when it comes to stability. It just keeps going. No viruses, worms, etc. It's been going for 2 years almost 24/7.

FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN INTERNET USE, THE APPLE IS A PIECE OF SH*T.

I spent over 5 grand on this piece of crap!

But it's almost worth it since I don't have to deal with McAfee updates every 30 seconds and no pop up windows warning me that my computer might be infected so I should click here...

Edited by Tipdin

I spent over 5 grand on this piece of crap!

But it's almost worth it since I don't have to deal with McAfee updates every 30 seconds and no pop up windows warning me that my computer might be infected so I should click here...

I don't want to keep beating the already dead horse --- But, Ubuntu (linux) is a credible alternative to a "5 grand piece of crap". Ubuntu has the look and feel of windows, will cost you nothing and will run on most machines. MACS run on base linux code (operating system) does not need McAfee or any other antivirus software. Most addon software is also free.

You can download an ISO file which needs to be burned to a disc -- reboot from that disk and you have a live install WITHOUT TOUCHING YOUR HARDDRIVE. If you don't like what you see just remove the CD and reboot -- if you like what you see and would like to try it. just hit install --- it will give you the option to install as a dual boot or replace you current operating system -- I would suggest the dual boot.

Of course the obvious -- backup your current system first ---- just to be failsafe. It's only prudent!!!!!

See this page for the ISO download: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download'>http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Go here to get a 'look-see' feel of Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/ ~~~ Make sure you go through the many options near the bottom of the page.

I know the feelings people have about trying something new ---- been there done that. My first computer had the DOS operating system ---- so I have paid my dues through all of the Windows versions but, I would not even try the Vista series -- I had had enough of Microsoft. I have been using Ubuntu for 2 years now and am SOOOO glad I switched. You really need to take a look!!