THE HANG is back! And an explanation...

'An English Teen, Circumcised in the USA' seems to have had its fair share of controversy!

Firstly it drew a bit of a rant mail from someone irritated that I would dare to write in any positive way about the medical procedure, circumcision - even before they knew what the context of that was to be in the story. Secondly we had that difficult experience with a certain other Gay Story Archive, who published the first chapter but, in the process, changed the title of the tale (without asking permission) to something else that, for some reason, they felt would be more acceptable! And now, there's the slightly infamous chapter 13 (it would have to be 13, wouldn't it!) that affected some, and riled others - and got everyone calling for it to be put back when it was taken down!

Hello, I'm Riley Jericho - and I think it's mostly my fault!

So, what happened, and why was it really felt necessary to take the chapter down? A number of people have talked about being somewhat surprised by the chapter, but you know, the thing that has surprised me personally has been the overwhelming flurry of emails, IM's and notes in the thread, all expressing support - readers coming out of the woodwork to throw in encouragement.

THANKS GUYS - much appreciated - and I think you probably deserve a little explanation.

I won't deny it, I took a few deep, panicky, gulps when a few comments began to appear expressing surprise and a little dismay at the sudden turn of events. Several indicated that it seemed so out of character and unrelated to the flow of the previously comfortable plot. Why would Riley suddenly write something like that - it seemed pointless and outside of his style??

Like I noted in the chapter notes when it was first posted, this was a chapter that I'd been waiting for almost six months to write. It was always going to be there and, to me, is critical to the plot. Of course, I'd both had plenty of time to grapple with it and I also know where why it fits, where it's going and why it's there in the first place. But even Nephy confessed to being a bit disturbed (well, we all knew that, didn't we!) and I had to take a double take on the chapter. Though I'd written it with the purpose of introducing pain and discomfort and unbalancing the story, maybe it was a bit too successful and I really began to suspect I'd overdone it.

There was a flurry of comments and even a few direct emails. And one was from a guy that stood out from the rest. I just had the sense that, for him, the Chapter had pushed too far. He wasn't being unpleasant - far from it - but I had a deep impression of something not good. That, alongside a roll of testing feedback, did shake me a little. Maybe this was only the tip of the iceberg? So I decided to apologise for any offence, and take it down.

You know, I was glad I did, because I had some further contact with the guy, who had emailed me to thank me for hearing him and even taking some action because of it. And he was honest enough to speak about flashbacks and some horrible pain that the chapter had pulled up out of his past. Memories of a humiliation that had broken him too, and plagued his life.

We exchanged a few emails and I've been slow to decide what to do with the existing story. Of course, as many have said, a writer can pen whatever he likes, and readers can choose to read or not. On the other hand, publishing something that causes someone real pain? Knowing that the chapter is having a damaging 'life of its own' in somebody's life can be a high price to pay for 'published and be damned'! And I'm just not like that.

But it has been he that has encouraged me to press on - to go ahead now and put the chapter back and continue the tale. And I salute a man who is facing his own demons with courage and honesty.

So, 'The Hang' will be coming back, unedited and exactly as it was before, though the Chapter Notes will contain a somewhat stronger warning.

Now the problem will be that you're probably going to find that the reason the chapter has become infamous is not because it's actually any good, or has been written well! Be gentle - but I hope you can continue to enjoy our English Teen, Circumcised in the USA!

But if you're reading 'The Hang' for the first time, or running through it again, do me a favour and let me know what you think by putting down your own review at the end of the chapter. Did you love it? Hate it? Is it what you expected, and are you more disturbed than Nephy!?

Thanks, and warm greetings to you all!

Riley Jericho

HA!!! Blatant attempt at getting more reviews and a terrible slur on my character.... AS IF there is anyone more disturbed than me :P

Seriously, I am really pleased that you are putting this back. Disturbed does not mean the same thing as offended and, I think is was our beloved fluffy bunni jamessavik who said that everyone needs to be disturbed now and again.

Now of course you are going to have to justify why the chapter was necessary in the plot and yes, that was a blatant ploy for new chapters soon :)

I want to publicly express my thanks to Riley Jericho for arriving at what I consider the correct decision. My first reaction to the chapter was that I did not like it, but I do love the story. Others may have had more significant reactions to the chapter for various reasons, but the author considers it essential to the story and that is all I need to hear.

Thanks, Riley.

Nice to see the chapter will be back

Seeing that Ryan was active in this War ... he took the risks that he must bare.

There are plenty of Boys School Movies out there

The Emperor's Club

The Dead Poets Society

The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby

Les choristers

Tom Brown's School Days

Prep School

Lord of the Flies

The Hang is no worst than what went on in these movies.

Its really up to the educators to prevent Wars and Bullying in schools.

Its only the headmasters or Principals that will get a bad reference or some disciplinary but it does not help the innocent that got hurt and that's how much our society falls short.

So do we have sympathy for the Venezuelan boy or Ryan or both or the other hang boys?

or aren't they glad they didn't attend a public school in NYC (the black board jungle)

On the other hand, publishing something that causes someone real pain? Knowing that the chapter is having a damaging 'life of its own' in somebody's life can be a high price to pay for 'published and be damned'!

Reilly.... Imagine every single book/story (yeah, I'm even thinking Snow White and the 7 little guys!) ever written read by every single person in the planet... Don't you think there will be a thing or two out of all those books where someone WILL be offended by? If all the writers out there decided to not write something that is going to cause pain or offend others this would be a very sad and empty world because nothing would be written. Please don't feel bad by writing what you did, after all, fair warning is fair warning and the readers choice to continue past that point.

Edited by Rush

Reilly.... Imagine every single book/story (yeah, I'm even thinking Snow White and the 7 little guys!) ever written read by every single person in the planet... Don't you think there will be a thing or two out of all those books where someone WILL be offended by? If all the writers out there decided to not write something that is going to cause pain or offend others this would be a very sad and empty world because nothing would be written. Please don't feel bad by writing what you did, after all, fair warning is fair warning and the readers choice to continue past that point.

QFT

Hi Rush - yep I hear what you're saying, none of us would write if we lived under a cloud of political correctness and the fear of upsetting someone out in the unknown, and never to be know masses. But that's a bit different, and not what I meant. What I was saying was that it's a different ball game when you are interacting with a real person of whom you know something of their situation. I guess it's the same as the difference between having an general opinion on issues of school bullying, and dealing with the fallout if it's your own son/daughter who comes home with tears and in pain. It sure becomes a lot more personal!

I still believe in the reality of the chapter though, and was glad to be able to republish it.

Riley