Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

C James's writing style

• Site Administrator

viv started a thread in The Lounge that links to a site that 'analyses' writing styles. CJ tried it out and reported the following:

I'm beginning to think this is psudo random (it repeats its results for a given piece of text but the actual product seems thematically inconsistent. :blink:

Going through the prologue for my current story section by section, I get, in order;

Robert Louis Stevenson

H.P. Lovecraft

Dan Brown

H.P Lovecraft

Stephen King

James Joyce

H.G. Wells

H.P. Lovecraft

The first chapter gives me P. G. Wodehouse, though the next few give me Dan Brown.

The prologue for another of my stories came back with Isac Asimov, and the first chapter Raymond Chandler

In fairness, I do vary style to suit the situation, but I think these results are rather inaccurate, but good for a smile. Thanks Viv. :) .

Is anyone really surprised that there's an affinity between CJ's writing and the master of horror, H.P. Lovecraft? 0:)

viv started a thread in The Lounge that links to a site that 'analyses' writing styles. CJ tried it out and reported the following:

Is anyone really surprised that there's an affinity between CJ's writing and the master of horror, H.P. Lovecraft? 0:)

B)....... I thought Lovecraft was also a master of cliffhangers!! :boy:

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Graeme! I've never even written horror! Er, okay, one short story, but other than that, nothing!

Isn't it a known fact that my stores are regarded as being all sweetness and light, where nothing bad ever happens? :blink: :blink:

B)....... I thought Lovecraft was also a master of cliffhangers!! :boy:

Indeed he was... He was also the one who popularized Cuthulu, the essence of evil, as I recall. He was known for cliffhangers and also tension.

And that, of course, proves that I cannot have anything in common with H.P. Lovecraft. :ph34r:

BTW, chapter 35 of Circumnavigation, "The Art of the Deal", gives a result of David Foster Wallace.

The analyzer we're talking about is here.

• 3 weeks later...

Excerpt from story to be published in 2015 (there are five before this one, title of which will remain secret) to illustrate CJ's style:

Having removed his shirt, Brad shook his head, which moved a strand of blond hair, that he had trimmed earlier that morning with a Wahl Lithium Ion Trimming Unit, so as to ensure a perfect look for his date with Billy, whom he wanted to seduce, although he wasn't sure that his feelings would be reciprocated. Brad picked up his cell phone, that had been given to him by his step-dad, in a motion that had his chest's muscles rippling.

"I'm going to book an Italian restaurant. Thankfully, my LG3003 features a geo-localization applet, which, when sending a signal through the phone tower closest to us, will connect to the DDF satellite relay and give me the address and phone number of all the restaurants. By the way, I've found out the LG3003 if properly rigged with C4, it can make a perfectly viable bomb. Did you know that C4 detonation velocity is eight point oh four oh meters per second, or if you don't use the metric system if you're in the United States, Myanmar, formerly known as Burma or Liberia, is twenty-six thousand feet per second?"

Billy's dimple creased as he smiled. "This is textual harassment! Why don't we take a walk on the escarpment that overhangs above the seashore?"

Excerpt from story to be published in 2015 (there are five before this one, title of which will remain secret) to illustrate CJ's style:

Having removed his shirt, Brad shook his head, which moved a strand of blond hair, that he had trimmed earlier that morning with a Wahl Lithium IonTrimming Unit, so as to ensure a perfect look for his date with Billy,whom he wanted to seduce, although he wasn't sure that his feelings would be reciprocated. Brad picked up his cell phone, that had been given to him by his step-dad, in a motion that had his chest's muscles rippling.

"I'm going to book an Italian restaurant. Thankfully, my LG3003features a geo-localization applet, which, when sending a signalthrough the phone tower closest to us, will connect to the DDF satellite relay and give me the address and phone number of all the restaurants. By the way, I've found out the LG3003 if properly rigged with C4, it can make a perfectly viable bomb. Did you know that C4detonation velocity is eight point oh four oh meters per second, or ifyou don't use the metric system if you're in the United States,Myanmar, formerly known as Burma or Liberia, is twenty-six thousand feet per second?"

Billy's dimple creased as he smiled. "This is textual harassment! Why don't we take a walk on the escarpment that overhangs above the seashore?"

smiley2928.gif

Edited by MikeL

Having removed his shirt, Brad shook his head, which moved a strand of blond hair, that he had trimmed earlier that morning with a Wahl Lithium Ion Trimming Unit, so as to ensure a perfect look for his date with Billy, whom he wanted to seduce, although he wasn't sure that his feelings would be reciprocated. Brad picked up his cell phone, that had been given to him by his step-dad, in a motion that had his chest's muscles rippling.

"I'm going to book an Italian restaurant. Thankfully, my LG3003 features a geo-localization applet, which, when sending a signal through the phone tower closest to us, will connect to the DDF satellite relay and give me the address and phone number of all the restaurants. By the way, I've found out the LG3003 if properly rigged with C4, it can make a perfectly viable bomb. Did you know that C4 detonation velocity is eight point oh four oh meters per second, or if you don't use the metric system if you're in the United States, Myanmar, formerly known as Burma or Liberia, is twenty-six thousand feet per second?"

Blondwriter! That's a horrendous utter falsification of my style! There are truly glaring differences here! :read:

Firstly, I'd have used an EM dash "-" to interject "Formerly known as Burma", rather than a comma.

Secondly, I'd never, ever, list eight point four meters per second as the detonation speed of C4! You got the speed on feet per second pretty close, but you need to move the decimal place on the meters per second.

And, of course, I would never have any of my characters go anywhere near an escarpment!

:P

Seriously, thanks Bondwriter, that made me laugh! :)

Secondly, I'd never, ever, list eight point four meters per second as the detonation speed of C4! You got the speed on feet per second pretty close, but you need to move the decimal place on the meters per second.

It's not 8.040? Which is the thing I zetaread as you may see in my original post. Well, do correct it in the file you'll post on week 35 in 2015, then.

I understand your shyness and your will not to spoil the readers' interest, but they'll have forgotten by the time the chapter is actually posted.

I got the OK from my lawyer before I posted this, by the way.

It's not 8.040? Which is the thing I zetaread as you may see in my original post. Well, do correct it in the file you'll post on week 35 in 2015, then.

I understand your shyness and your will not to spoil the readers' interest, but they'll have forgotten by the time the chapter is actually posted.

I got the OK from my lawyer before I posted this, by the way.

Ahhem! Well, the moved decimal place and the lack of an em dash could be typos (I'm notorious for my typos, for good reason...) BUT, what clearly and unequivocally proves, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that the passage cannot be entirely mine is the two characters heading for an ESCARPMENT! That means cliff, and as we all know, I'd never have anything to do with a cliff! Therefor, I think you added that...

As for the spoiler... And that is clearly what it is... I am afraid I have to choice but to report you to the echidna!!! :mace:

The very exclusive excerpt I uncovered to the risk of experiencing the echidna's wrath is written in the style of Dan Brown. Proof this is a genuine CJames text, as Dan Brown was one of his results. My own stories come out as written like Douglas Adams and David Foster Wallace.

By the way, my lawyer knows how to handle spines.

Having been accused of writing phony content to smear CJ, I need to clear these dreadful accusations. What better solution than providing a video of the meeting between Willy Bite, CJ's lawyer, and my own, Eileen Down?

I must say that such intrepid investigative journalism might, besides getting me a Pulitzer and hopefully obtaining the recognition of some higher government bodies, but it might also shock the most sensitive of the participants in this forum.

It is a short excerpt of a much longer conversation, which might be posted if the legal matters concerning such highly questionable material are cleared up.

th_meeting-lawyers.jpg

Having been accused of writing phony content to smear CJ, I need to clear these dreadful accusations. What better solution than providing a video of the meeting between Willy Bite, CJ's lawyer, and my own, Eileen Down?

I must say that such intrepid investigative journalism might, besides getting me a Pulitzer and hopefully obtaining the recognition of some higher government bodies, but it might also shock the most sensitive of the participants in this forum.

It is a short excerpt of a much longer conversation, which might be posted if the legal matters concerning such highly questionable material are cleared up.

th_meeting-lawyers.jpg

:blink:

Bondwriter! Provoke the Echidna at your peril!!!

And Nassau? NASSAU?!?!!? That's where Bridget goes to meet Sanchez and do other, er, business... And it's not far at all from where Ares was lost... AND, remember that Lagoon 55 Bridget and George spotted on their way into the Atlantis Resort? (which is just offshore of Nassau)?

So, this means you have a secret and long term presence there.. to what ends, I ask?

Yep, it looks to me like you killed Trev's mom and took the Ares to NAssau, where you renamed her... !!!!

Shame on you!!! Are you perhaps in cahoots with Rknapp?

I'll post the nefarious transcript, direct from France, for the aid of those who cannot play video;

Hi, I'm Willy Bite

And my name is Eileen Down.

You're dressed funny for a lawyer.

I have a night time job too. Let's make this quick. What does your goat client complain about again?

There has been a leak of his thirty eigthth story on the Gay Authors website.

I don't see this as an issue.

It is considered a spoiler, and the echidna doesn't like these.

Who cares about some strange little animal from Australia? My client wants to know about the only important thing...

Which is?

Talking about leaks, the roofing on his third villa in Nassau needs some repairs.

Uh oh...

Uh oh indeed. You've heard about my client, then?

Yes I heard Bondwriter is only onterested in money.

You've got this one right. It's tough having him cough up my fees.

And beware! Your lawyer referring to the Echidna as strange?

What's that old saying about the Echidna? Speak not his name, lest he appear?

smiley2928.gif

Seriously, to get us back on the topic of C James' writing style, there is one important factor to consider. C James has more than one writing style. Two of his most widely read stories, Let the Music Play and its sequel, Changing Lanes were very similar and include many of the same characters in both stories. But contrast them with Ice Blink or For the Love and you see totally different styles.

His two stories in current release, Circumnavigation and Jake, are as different in style as any two different authors could be. The forum on Jake has contained some comments indicating that some readers are disappointed at the pace or lack of action in the story. If you only knew where the story was heading, your only complaint would be that there is not a daily release of chapters.

Having proofread all of Jake for C J, I am among the few who know where it is going. I urge you to keep reading; keep up with the story. The action...all you could possibly hope for...is ahead. Jake is a story about relationships. There are no nuclear explosions, no evil monsters out to rule the world, and no boy band roadies out to seduce the main characters. But relationships can be very explosive. Mark my word.

One more thing. These are C James stories. There are cliffhangers.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..