Sony Vs. Microsoft

PS3 Vs. Xbox 360  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Game biased aside, which console do you think is overall better?

• PlayStation 3
    • Xbox 360
    • Nintendo Wii (I had to include it...)
  2. 2. Which console do you prefer? IE, which caters better to your gaming desires?

• PlayStation 3
    • Xbox 360
    • Nintendo Wii (Again, had to...)
  3. 3. Which console do you think is cheaper in the long run?

Well, to begin with my decision is rather biased; I have and will always be a Sony PlayStation fan, they have been in production far longer than the xbox and tend to be far more reliable, not to mention some of the greatest games of all time are PlayStation (Like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Xenosaga, Suikoden, etc.) -- whereas xbox has more 'fad' games that will quickly lose their attraction (such as the Halo series); Microsoft, in my opinion, is all for as much profit as they can possibly rake in, they give you a cheaper system than Sony does, but then throw all of these hidden charges in your face, along with major(and I mean MAJOR) system and software issues that end up costing you far more money than you had ever expected, along with long durations of not having your system while Microsoft takes their lovely time fixing your system.

BUT, to contain my own personal biased, I'll just copy&paste a pro and con list of each of the consoles. I'm neglecting Wii because, well the Wii is a very...umm, what's the word I'm looking for...other than crap, it's very direct; it doesn't have the large genre variety, it's the classics (which people love) but with the joystick thing the amount of variation is really cut down, and in all honesty while it can be loads of fun it fails in comparison to the 360 or the PS3.

I'll start with the PS3

Pros:

• Beats 360 in month-by-month sales
  • Free wireless, built-in Blu-ray, and free online play via the PlayStation Network
  • Internet broswer
  • Blu-ray won the format war
  • ALL games are on Blu-ray discs (that's a whopping 50 Gigs per disc!), allowing great games to be born!
  • VERY low failure rate
  • Great connectivity between the PS3, the PSP, and the computer
  • VERY quiet fan
  • Small, light controllers
  • Sixaxis wireless controller for certain games
Cons:

• Few great games, but plenty of great games coming soon
  • Not as many people on the PSN compared to XBL
  • Demos, add-ons, and such are on the PSN after the XBL Marketplace
  • Some (very few) PS3s have disc drive problems that don't read the discs properly or will not accept the discs at all
  • No rumble controllers (but seriously it's not that important); also, the rumble controllers have been announced
Now for the Xbox 360

Pros:

• XBL has many people and a great connection
  • You can own noobs online while listening to your favorite music!
  • Beats PS3 in overall sales due to the fact that it was released over a year before the PS3
  • Great games
  • Demos, add-ons, and such are on the XBL Marketplace before the PS3
  • Rumble in controllers
Cons:

• WAY too many callbacks and problems (RRoD, destroying of discs, etc.)
  • If you bought everything to as closely match the features of the PS3 it'd cost almost the price of the sytem itself (HD DVD drive, wireless hook-up, XBL payments)

Lol oh man the old xbox vs ps horse corpse.

Anyways the only correct answer to this whole thing is as you have said, which suits ones individual needs better. To that effect I'd say some of the pros and cons you've used are entirely irrelevant (for example which console does best in sales, this shouldnt really have any affect on your decision making process at all. It isnt you who sees the profits after all.)

To start I'd like to say I own and use, both systems (We also own a Wii, but its for the siblings).

Following that I'd say I prefer the Xbox. I find the GUI of the system itself to be far superior, as well as XBL. I have no interest in 90% of the core playstation titles anymore (such as final fantasy) and I download my movies in blu-ray/1080p on my computer, so I have no need for a blu-ray player. I have pretty big hands, and find the controller to be extremely uncomfortable when playing for any real length of time, which adds to my overall favoring of the xbox.

I could write a novel on this subject, but I dont feel its really worth it lol. I personally feel xbox is better, based on my individual needs and tastes.

on my dad's commodore no less, using 5" floppy disks no less, and playing Oregon Trail... (in green and black, no less).

Its funny and poetic justics to see your name amongst the Sony and Micrsoft

Linux

Now its also funny there isn't a Linux game box out there

So Nintendo doesn't count? They have the Wii.

I remember the NES with Wizardry (+1 James) when I was a kid and some fishing game on a Commodore 64 (+1 Linxe). Oh, Sega Genesis FTW?

Honestly, I am PC gamer, but the PS3 is a superior system by far.

I guess that working at Gamestop is finally going to be useful.

I think this is a hard question to answer because you have to consider the demographics that each console targets. Another thing to consider is that the selection of games and software are so different, giving you different experiences.

Based on my prefrences, I'd go with the 360 (sorry Paul!), and the main reason being XBL and the titles on the 360. The PS3 has slightly better graphics and it has Blue-Ray and Free ( For now anyways) PSN, but I enjoy the experience on a 360 more, despite the risks. Titles and exclusitivity are still a factor when comparing systems. It was part of what kept people from buying them. A year ago. I would never buy a PS3 if it didn't have Mass Effect ie Halo 3.

I think the bigger question is which is better for gaming: Desktops and Laptops - or Consoles?

• Site Administrator

These kids and their consoles!

Why in my day we played text based games like Wizardry and Tradewars on our MS-DOS based PCs AND WE LIKED IT.

Then there was the first generation of graphic games, like the Ultima series, followed by many generations in lots of genres, like Microsoft Flight Simulator, and ending up in the vast Internet based games like World of Warcraft and, my sons' current favourite, Club Penguin.

The only thing that can compete against PC games in our household is the Wii. That's because the controls are so different to what's on the PC, which is largely keyboard or joystick based. There's something about standing on a balance board and snowboarding through a slalom course that a handheld console game can't compete with. :D

We don't have an Xbox or PlayStation in our house, because we just don't see any value in buying them. We have the PC for complex games, Nintendo DS's for quiet play, and the Nintendo Wii for family games.

• Like 1

Apologies, but the PS3 is obviously better! Yes, the PS3 is obviously more expensive, but it is so worth the extra money. Let's quickly compare the graphics:

Final Fantasy XIII

Posted Image

Lost Something? Shooter game/whatever.

Posted Image

A racing game! XD

Posted Image

As you can see there is a difference in graphics. The XBox has some blurry/ultra shadow thing going on, while the PS3 is much more crisp and sexy. Then, there is so much other crap to consider. Like, the PS3 doesn't charge for online gaming, the Xbox does. I mean, the XBox is an investment and will cost you more in the long run. Another point is the PS3's connectivity with the PSP. Why, just the other day I was downloading some really old and amazing playstation games (FFVII & FFVIII). I mean, the XBox just doesn't have the same legacy. There's a wider variety of games on the PS3, while the XBox is famous for it's first hand shooters. Then the PS3 can also play blue ray dvds. The XBox? Not so much. They're still living it up with dvds. Also, the XBox seems to have more than it's fair share of problems. If it's no crashing and dying, then the network is offline for updates. I can't speak for other people, but my PS3 has never crashed and there's never been a problem with the network. Furthermore, most importantly, the PS3 has a freshness about it. There's more to be explored. It's full capabilities haven't been realised. Xbox, on the other hand, is a bit of a dead horse IMO (the correct opinion *cough*).

To conclude, Microsoft are evil. Sony, not so much. Go PS3! RAH-RAH!

Edited by Menorain

PS3!

Not that i'm a huge gamer or anything...but we got our PS3 for free, and free stuff equates to automatic love.

The only games i actually play are Grand Turismo, Grand Theft Auto, Tekken, Street Fighter and KULA WORLD! (the greatest game ever! :lol:) but i've never played anything on Xbox so i can't really contribute to this debate anyway <_<

• Like 1

I had for the longest time been a Sony PlayStation man. I got the original for Christmas when it first came out, and got the PS2 when it came out later. I still think the PS2 is the best system ever, well maybe even with the N 64. But when Sony failed to come out with the PS3 on time and the 360 was the only next gen console out at the time, I switched over and will stay loyal now to Microsoft because of it. IF PS3 and 360 had come out at the same time, I would definitely be a PS3 guy, but it didn't. So Sony has lost my business.

I had for the longest time been a Sony PlayStation man. I got the original for Christmas when it first came out, and got the PS2 when it came out later. I still think the PS2 is the best system ever, well maybe even with the N 64. But when Sony failed to come out with the PS3 on time and the 360 was the only next gen console out at the time, I switched over and will stay loyal now to Microsoft because of it. IF PS3 and 360 had come out at the same time, I would definitely be a PS3 guy, but it didn't. So Sony has lost my business.

Betrayer! Judas! Walk outer!

Disappointment...

I don't see how people can still think the Xbox 360 is cheaper...could someone fill me in? XD

And Menorain, I'm so disappointed. How could you mention VII before VIII? It's common knowledge that VIII was far greater of a game. Plus Squall is so much hotter than Cloud.

I'm not much for either the Xbox 360 or PS3 but I've long been a Sony fan starting with the original playstation so I pick that.

Although...Ninento has released some of the funnest games I've ever played at a kid. Pokemon, Mario everything, Zelda.

Playstation all the way!!!!!..... i cant even use the xbox controlers, waaaaaay to confusing!!!!

i love all the car games, racing games and games where you could go up against other people (crash bandicoot was the bomb!!)

i had an original game boy colour, well it was my cousins but i borrowed it one day and forgot to give it back :P ..... and i would only play pokemon and donkey kong games on it

i got a Nintendo DS Lite back in 06..... but i dont really play with it as much as i use to, since $25+ for 1 game, that i normally finish in one hit is pretty steep!!

we also got a Wii, its fun, but i havent played it in ages since i lost the connection cord

christmas 2000 we got a playstation, that lasted until we got a PS2 slimline (2005), but we still played the ps games on the ps2 until i got GTA 3

the original playstation still works, and when i forget to bring the ps2 to our holiday house, i play crash again

since we got the chip in the ps2 i use to use it as a dvd player....... until i lost my memory card, couldnt save my game and it over-heated :thumbdown:

i would like a ps3, but since my cousin doesnt use his anymore, i just need to find a way to smuggle it out of his place :P

• Site Administrator

I like the Xbox 360. The achievements give me an outlet for my OCD tendencies... and help give me the drive to finish a game. The Wii is not next generation hardware and therefore is not counted as such. (it is not HD capable).

Oh, with xbox, you have nifty stuff like this:

e+j+wizard.png

• 8 months later...