Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Gentlemen at War: Some insights into the late 1700s

When we think of war today, it is ugly, horrible, and uncivilized. Back in Granger's day, it was ugly and horrible, but there were attempts at civility, especially between the British and Spanish. Here's a letter written by Horatio Nelson to the Spanish Commander at Cadiz, warning him of fireworks to celebrate King George's birthday:

TO ADMIRAL DON JOSEF DE MAZAREDO, CADIZ.

[From Harrison's Life of Nelson, vol. i. p. 180.]

Theseus, May 30th, 1797.

Sir,

I have the honour of sending your Excellency a packet from Sir John Jervis; and I embrace the opportunity of assuring you of my high esteem of your character. The 4th of June being the birthday of my Royal Master, Sir John Jervis intends firing a feu de joie, at eight o'clock in the evening; and has desired me to mention it to your Excellency, that his Ladies at Cadiz may not be alarmed at the firing. Believe me your Excellency's most faithful servant,

HORATIO NELSON."

Note that this was AFTER the Battle of Cape St. Vincent, an unquestionable Spanish naval defeat.

Here's another, relating to another battle:

TO VICE-ADMIRAL MORENO, OF THE SPANISH NAVY.

[From Clarke and M'Arthur, vol. ii, p. I',, Vide p. 389, ante, whence it would seem that this Letter was written early in May.]

Theseus, 8th of June, 1797.

Sir,

A Spanish Officer having said, that you had expressed a wish to obtain a Letter supposed to have been written from his Majesty's Ship Egmont, and inserted in an English Newspaper, relating to the Action of February 14th, every inquiry has been made to obtain the Newspaper, and hitherto without effect. Captain Sutton of the Egmont has also done everything in his power, but without being able to learn whether any Letter from that Ship has been published. The inquiry has, however, produced from my Commander-in-Chief, Sir John Jervis, the most handsome testimony of the gallant conduct of a Three-decked Ship, bearing the Flag of a Vice- Admiral, who did everything which a good Officer could do, to attempt to cut through the British line, between the Victory and the Egmont.

I am, &c.; HORATIO NELSON.

it may have been more civilised then, and that "civilisation" continued to an extent in WW1 when they at least initailly the two sides stopped the shooting rom Christmas etc, however before the invention of penicillin any injury, and injuries tend to happen in war, was at the very least debilitating and usually fatal.

So it may have been more civilised but surviving was no mean feat.....

Edited by Canuk

lots of kiss-ass by the subordinates to keep from being shot for insubordination

then working in a bar or motel of those days is just as dangerous

Is anyone hardy enough to live in the 1700s?

not geeks or glee's - its gadget free and internet free - pop free

it may have been more civilised then, and that "civilisation" continued to an extent in WW1 when they at least initailly the two sides stopped the shooting rom Christmas etc, however before the invention of penicillin any injury, and injuries tend to happen in war, was at the very least debilitating and usually fatal.

So it may have been more civilised but surviving was no mean feat.....

That's true. Survival was a challenge. I wonder if that had any impact on how they acted outside of battle?

I think that more emphesis was put on "personal honour" and that people understood that acts of war were not personal but matters of state.

In general, I think the concept of being a "gentleman" has been lost, which is very very sad :(

Within Bristish History in particular, there are many examples of "playing by the rules" when it comes to war and honour. Im not sure we would see the same thing today

That's true. Survival was a challenge. I wonder if that had any impact on how they acted outside of battle?

Its a two way street .... you can act out your anger or fear at the enemy ... whether or not you get killed in the process is another story

But do you really want your commander to shoot you for being a coward?

What-if your commander was your BF ... do you want to put him in the position to shoot you ... for being a coward and to not be outed?

I'm sure the PTSD and anxiety are much worst in the 1700s than Vietnam

outside the battle - that be the calm before the storm ... business as usual ... and it be rough for us modern day but not them since

they are use to the surge of battle and duty after awhile

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..