Questioning the usage of that vs. than

Sometime back I had asked about the usage of that/than. I had been reading stories that were using that, when I would have expected the usage of than. Those who replied wanted an example and of course couldn't find one.

Over time I have seen the same thing a number of times but didn't submit them to the topic.

So today I find it again and decided to pursue my quest when I found this example. However this example may have been produced properly by the brain, but not sent to the fingers/keyboard correctly.

Anyway the example:

"DiGiorno is really good for frozen pizza, probably my favorite brand of frozen pizza... they have a wider selection that other brands around here.. "

I see this used so many times and always stumble over the usage in the sentence.

Shouldn't THAT be THAN?

Edited by Eddy

It should be Than instead of That... I've corrected and read many, many times the use of Then instead of Than. I don't know if it's because writers sometimes go so fast that their brain is not focusing enough on the proper words to be used. I know when I write fast I always switch from past to present on the spin of a dime. Nephy's always reminding me about it and it's appreciated.

Edited by Rush
  • Site Administrator

Truly I think people just write things without hearing them in their heads. If you read out loud a sentence that has then or than, or that or than, you will most like say the correct version. But people tend not to do that. I always try to read my chapters through out loud a final time before I post them because all too often it's the little things we gloss over while reading that crops up.

Lol. The example seems familiar, I believe it is mine. ;) Thanks for outing my poor grammar, I am pretty guilty at times. I do know the difference in the two words and when to use them, I just don't pay that much attention at times. :P No harm though, that/than word usage and your/you're is a big pet peeve of mine, and it sucks that I used the word wrong myself.. lmao.

As pointed out, the correct word should have been 'than.'

'This' refers to something nearby, either in space or time. 'That' refers to something much further or farther away in space or time.

(Further is generally for thoughts, farther is generally for things.)

Edited by Tipdin