Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation 51 : Time to Improvise

Chapter 51 is up. Sorry for breaking the schedule, but I'm going away for two days and it was either post now, or be a day late. :)

I just started to read this story and had the luxury of reading 51 chapters over a short period of time. If I may just say, brilliant work! Thank you for the incredible details, great characterizations, intrigue, and unique plot-line. This is a pleasure to read and a reason to look forward to Tues! Your intimate knowledge in the travel locations, ports-o-call, sailing, and love of characters is all apparent. Thank you! I consider myself a devoted fan/reader...

gj

• Like 1

Excellent chapter as per usual! I was shocked to not find a cliffhanger at the end! :2thumbs: I usually love cliffhangers, but my poor heart needed this perfectly penned break from them. :lol:

Edited by Pai-kun
  • Like 1

Good to see Trevor's resourcefulness pay off. I'm curious if the ruined world map will be mentioned again... It seemed pointless for the narrator to show Ali go nuts over finding hidden treasure and destroying the map and wood paneling to show his point...

Good to see Trevor's resourcefulness pay off. I'm curious if the ruined world map will be mentioned again... It seemed pointless for the narrator to show Ali go nuts over finding hidden treasure and destroying the map and wood paneling to show his point...

B).............................. Ok, I'm a little confused here Trevor is heading west/southwest? So he is heading for Madagascar instead of Australia? And then you have Captain Ali traveling eastward, wouldn't that be westward towards the Seychelles? Trevor has a bit of a head start if Ali decides to re-engage him, going at @ 3 miles per hour at dusk. The mileage range distance of the zodiac, now played out to being 150 miles here. There is a lot to discern here, if the pirates decide to come back and look for the Atlantis and not find her within the perimeters as they had left her, will they keep searching? And if they do will Ali be surprised to see the boat still sailing, and wonder who is sailing it. This time they cannot afford to pass it up and sneak back to it, believing it stripped and with no weapons to defend it. The captain will make the mistake of approaching it and boarding. Yep, I see the the four men in a boat, some (raft) bloody and trying to escape, when Trevor fires a round into the raft sinking her into the very grounds the captain feared. Sharks unite!!!!! Great chapter CJ! Hmm, couldn't Trevor have used one of the pillow cases to fashion a pair of skives?

• Site Administrator

B).............................. Ok, I'm a little confused here Trevor is heading west/southwest? So he is heading for Madagascar instead of Australia? And then you have Captain Ali traveling eastward, wouldn't that be westward towards the Seychelles? Trevor has a bit of a head start if Ali decides to re-engage him, going at @ 3 miles per hour at dusk. The mileage range distance of the zodiac, now played out to being 150 miles here. There is a lot to discern here, if the pirates decide to come back and look for the Atlantis and not find her within the perimeters as they had left her, will they keep searching? And if they do will Ali be surprised to see the boat still sailing, and wonder who is sailing it. This time they cannot afford to pass it up and sneak back to it, believing it stripped and with no weapons to defend it. The captain will make the mistake of approaching it and boarding. Yep, I see the the four men in a boat, some (raft) bloody and trying to escape, when Trevor fires a round into the raft sinking her into the very grounds the captain feared. Sharks unite!!!!! Great chapter CJ! Hmm, couldn't Trevor have used one of the pillow cases to fashion a pair of skives?

I was wondering the same thing, so I checked back on Captain Ali's direction:

Ali had been a fisherman for over twenty years, and his ancient trawler had the range to allow him to seek out the richer fishing grounds far from his home waters in southernmost Somalia. His destination was the Saya de Malha Bank

If he's heading west then I guess he'll be back to florida in no time??

Mcgiver\Trevor to the rescue

So who's going to save Trevor naked ass ... who the lucky Gay native?? Not Richard Dean Anderson??

Big captains decision - use the sheets for a sail or make his Tarzan uniform ?? Please vote??

Ever open your can food with a rusty screw driver

estimates

--- Day1

06:30 Algol sails away (8 knots -> 10 miles/hr )

11:30 Algol show signs of engine issues (50 miles/10= 5 Hours)

* Makes you wonder if they are smart enough to stop and flush all the oil out the engines

and replace the filters and refill with clean oil. They could fix that on their own in less than an hour.

* If not then they sail for couple of hours with issues.

14:30 ?? Stuck in the water ( Total 80 miles away )

18:30 ?? Stuck in the water ( Total 120 miles away)

--- Day2

07:30 Trevor 2nd Day - No Algol

--- Day3

06:30 Trever be 11x3miles/hr=33 Miles

120+33 => 153 out of range of Zodiac one day - Bring gas

80+33 => 113 - pot luck for the them to figure which way - Bring Gas

Hey he lasted two sun setings ... the pirates must be really far away ... move than 100 miles ??

or stuck in the same place But now Trevor is underway ... he's putting distance away from them ... hopefully by the next morning he'll be more than 150 miles away from them at best.

By the time they sail by zodiac at 6:30am on day 3 - it will be a 8 hours and trevor be another 24 miles away.

153+24=174 Miles

113+23=136 miles

Unless they arrive during the night of Day2 or in the early morning of Day3 ... at Atlantis last know position.

But they still won't know where she is because it dark ... they could figure out that he's going west - southwest.

Hopefully - they will figure Atlantis sunk too deep to salvage the engine or prevented their engines damage and thus leave Trevor alone. But if not then Trevor has a midnight or 4am caller on his tail!!

An angry Ali - not being able to collect his 30K - wants the engines

Will Trevor wake up to the sound of out board engines? Will he be able to take out 4 to 6 guys?

Do you think Trevor will make it to the nearest shipping lanes and be picked up by a boat head to Australia

or run into another set of pirates?

Do you think he's hit south africa or make it into the atlantic?

Do you wonder if he will ever sail to austrailia?

He does have some money in his stash so he could by parts and get a loan from Joel and make atlantis sail able to austrailia? But you if doesn;t he is sailing towards the bad guys in the atlantic.

Its sad ... no unwash clothing of Joels for Trevor to sniff the scent of his friend.

hehe - nothing on his todo list about clothing

He can fish and salt down his catch ... maybe it will be good for a week??

He doesn't need to eat his entire can of dogs ... he can ration it to a can a day and eat sushi the next day.

Doesn't he have like 3 cases of hot dogs? So he could last 72 days

Bad news ... if Trevor reaches the atlantic ... he'll be in hurricane season in the Atlantic.

He'll be sunk by a storm.

* Makes you wonder if they are smart enough to stop and flush all the oil out the engines

and replace the filters and refill with clean oil. They could fix that on their own in less than an hour.

Um, flushing the oil isn't gonna fix the problem. Unless they have two spare engines (remember, one is already seized beyond repair), or at least a full compliment of new valves, lifters, pistons, piston rings, connecting rods, rod bearings, journals, and a crankshaft, they're not going anywhere with that trawler. It needs to be towed to the nearest port and drydocked for a week or so for total engine replacement. I'd even go so far as to claim that the heads are warped from excessive heat damage, and the cylinder walls are scored beyond repair from the damaged pistons and piston rings. Not to mention, again, one engine has already seized. That means it would have to be completely rebuilt from the crank up, and the block hot-tanked to save it. Not happening. Very few fully-seized engines can be repaired.

At any rate, Ali doesn't know jack about Catamarans. As far as he's concerned, Atlantis is fully submerged by now and Trevor is a bit more than six feet under.

I doubt Bridget will tell them how SailCats sink (or don't sink). She was unconcerned when she told George it would float on its wing, and it sounded like she wanted it to float, so as to alert locals that something bad happened and further implicate Dirk and Jim, removing her from the scrutiny of Gonzalez.

Also, I'm guessing Trevor will set to work on removing some of the water flooding Atlantis' hulls. Doing so will greatly improve her speed, by removing an immense amount of weight.

Um, flushing the oil isn't gonna fix the problem. Unless they have two spare engines (remember, one is already seized beyond repair), or at least a full compliment of new valves, lifters, pistons, piston rings, connecting rods, rod bearings, journals, and a crankshaft, they're not going anywhere with that trawler. It needs to be towed to the nearest port and drydocked for a week or so for total engine replacement. I'd even go so far as to claim that the heads are warped from excessive heat damage, and the cylinder walls are scored beyond repair from the damaged pistons and piston rings. Not to mention, again, one engine has already seized. That means it would have to be completely rebuilt from the crank up, and the block hot-tanked to save it. Not happening. Very few fully-seized engines can be repaired.

At any rate, Ali doesn't know jack about Catamarans. As far as he's concerned, Atlantis is fully submerged by now and Trevor is a bit more than six feet under.

I doubt Bridget will tell them how SailCats sink (or don't sink). She was unconcerned when she told George it would float on its wing, and it sounded like she wanted it to float, so as to alert locals that something bad happened and further implicate Dirk and Jim, removing her from the scrutiny of Gonzalez.

Also, I'm guessing Trevor will set to work on removing some of the water flooding Atlantis' hulls. Doing so will greatly improve her speed, by removing an immense amount of weight.

B)......The dilemma here is in Captain Ali's corner, if he finds out that he cannot have sunk the Atlantis, and it remains afloat, then it leads credence that he will go after her for the engines. So far it looks like mission accomplised to him, but Bridget may have informed Sansez in her thank-you note that his method of sinking the ship was not viable. Leaving Ali with the only option of going after the boat to retrieve the engines. I can only imagine his surprise at seeing the Atlantis furled and heading out at sea. He thinks that he knows his henchmen have scoured the ship and therefore it is unarmed and races to catch the boat. A big mistake, as the resurrected Trevor is out for revenge and surprises them all. I know I'd shoot the armed men first, and drive back the others into the raft boat, I'd also take a shot at the raft (bloody) and sink her. Hmm! Maybe Trevor will shoot one them for their clothing!

I don;t think he looks forward to the manual arm pumping the water out ... it be cute if he hand a bicycle type pump ... or best a hamster wheel pump

Its a two fold problem to pump out over 200 gallons each side ... and must be pump out simultaneously to keep both sides level.

I have no idea how long will it take to pump out like 2/3 of it ... like the duration of the voyage

Ideal it would be having engines\generator and battery power ... to run the pumps

It sounds like he could still have batteries ... he could used them up to clear the water out

There is no need to save batteries any way ... when no fuel to run the engines.

Thanks about the engine damage ... sounds better than pouring sugar or syrup

I think it sensless to even consider having atlantis engines ... which could be like two dual 200 HP engines at least but certainly not enough power to move a trawler

Gosh the weight difference must be like 20 to 30 times more weight and Atlantis uses wind power mostly to run at higher speeds.

I bet if Trevor had his sextan, full supply of hotdogs, and a good set of sails he would continue his journey.

The question still is how far did they get by the time their engines burned out ... of course 150 miles might not stop them because they can carry two five gallon jugs on each skift and get their navigation information from the ship. btw, I bet their ship batteries are bad with out engines ... the trawlers is due for a trade it.

B)...... I know I'd shoot the armed men first, and drive back the others into the raft boat, I'd also take a shot at the raft (bloody) and sink her. Hmm! Maybe Trevor will shoot one them for their clothing!

But if he's truely gay guy ... I think he might not want the guys underwear ... unless Joel teaches him to be gay :2thumbs:

Now how long can Trevor survive with out deodorant??

Hey trevor is part austrailian and the father is what norweigian or something?

They could stand band stenches of the somalian pirates that have not taken more than 10 showers in their lifetime.

Like I go for the disguarded bedcolthes and towels than some somilian clothes ...

the chances are better if they are wearing his clothes ... then the stench be a lot less ... and can be rinse out by the sea water

One question about going back for Atlantis' engines is, will they be powerful enough to move the trawler? I don't think they would get it very far very fast.

As I said those engines could be dual 200 HP engines ... the trawler engines must be very powerful and bigger

I just looked it up ... small trawler ... can use Atlantis engines 150 to 220 HP

a bigger trawler needs like 500 to 850 HP

Just went back and looked at the spec's CJ has posted. The engines won't do Ali any to much good, their, 2 Yanmar 65 HP diesels.

B)..........I guess the question is, does Ali know what size the engines are on the Atlantis? He knows there are two engines aboard her, but he left in a hurry. I still see a lot of options for him though, he has a satellite phone. Could he call for a tow? He may try his contact in Seychelles and in talking to him realize that he had not sunk the Atlantis, Ali is money driven and hates the idea of using his own money when he can take Trevor's engines for free. When he see's the new sails on the Atlantis, he will realize someone is claiming the wreckage for themselves, but the last person he will suspect is angry gun totting Trevor!! :lol:

B)..........I guess the question is, does Ali know what size the engines are on the Atlantis? He knows there are two engines aboard her, but he left in a hurry. I still see a lot of options for him though, he has a satellite phone. Could he call for a tow? He may try his contact in Seychelles and in talking to him realize that he had not sunk the Atlantis, Ali is money driven and hates the idea of using his own money when he can take Trevor's engines for free. When he see's the new sails on the Atlantis, he will realize someone is claiming the wreckage for themselves, but the last person he will suspect is angry gun totting Trevor!! :lol:

I don't think it is likely that Ali will come. Bridget didn't tell anyone about the sink resistance of a Lagoon 55. If that is the case as far as Ali is concerned she's sunk. Once salt water gets in the engines its over and done there is no point in trying to salvage them. Also he'd need a massive crane to be able to remove his own engines to replace them with the ones from the Atlantis. They would also have to be able to be attached to his screws which is very unlikely since the propeller shafts for a 200 to 250 HP diesel are far larger than the ones to a 65. As far as I am concerned Trevor will get his revenge when Ali and crew either starves to death, dies from dehydration, are arrested for piracy if spotted, or killed by a storm they can't escape from. What I don't understand though is why Trevor is heading west towards Africa and Ali is heading east away from it. :-p

What I don't understand though is why Trevor is heading west towards Africa and Ali is heading east away from it. :-p

He is at the equator and the trade winds are taking him. It looks like from his current position he's about 500 miles from Madagascar and should reach it in about 7 days. There he should be able to make any calls and arrangements there. He's got plenty of hot doggies, water, and he can fish and eat sushi ... like to read about him eat a raw fish. It be nice from him to discover hidden things on board Atlantis.

question2.GIF

I don't think it is likely that Ali will come. Bridget didn't tell anyone about the sink resistance of a Lagoon 55. If that is the case as far as Ali is concerned she's sunk. Once salt water gets in the engines its over and done there is no point in trying to salvage them. Also he'd need a massive crane to be able to remove his own engines to replace them with the ones from the Atlantis. They would also have to be able to be attached to his screws which is very unlikely since the propeller shafts for a 200 to 250 HP diesel are far larger than the ones to a 65. As far as I am concerned Trevor will get his revenge when Ali and crew either starves to death, dies from dehydration, are arrested for piracy if spotted, or killed by a storm they can't escape from. What I don't understand though is why Trevor is heading west towards Africa and Ali is heading east away from it. :-p

B)...........Trevor is heading in the only direction he can, given that he can only travel downwind, currently pushing him west-southwest towards the middle of Madagascar. Ali was to travel towards the rich fish waters of Seychelles, why he is traveling east towards Australia is a mystery to me. Perhaps the goat got confused with directions? We all know how the goat misdirects! :lmao:

Diesel engines I have worked on are sealed, except for the exhaust, and as Trevor narrated the bilge was 2/3rds filled with sea water, the stacks would be fine. Another way Trevor could get the seawater out is by siphoning it and letting gravity take control, a long process, but doable and he could have both sides working at the same time. I'm sure there are many plastic or metal tubes lying around after they gutted it. Plus there one more thing, Captain Ali could simply chain saw the boat up and tow the the engines back in their hulls. A fishing trawler has winches and cranes to bring in the net filled bounty, shouldn't be a problem to hoist up the hull laden engines.

Assuming trevor makes it to magascar ... what the first thing(s) he's going to do?

* Eat for the next three days non stop

* Call Joel and get the loan

* Buy an AK47 and grenade launchers

* Fix his boat and leave for Australia

I just started to read this story and had the luxury of reading 51 chapters over a short period of time. If I may just say, brilliant work! Thank you for the incredible details, great characterizations, intrigue, and unique plot-line. This is a pleasure to read and a reason to look forward to Tues! Your intimate knowledge in the travel locations, ports-o-call, sailing, and love of characters is all apparent. Thank you! I consider myself a devoted fan/reader...

gj

Thank you!!!

I have a huge amount of help from my team, so the story is very much a team effort.

Your handle indicates you're a fellow travel addict. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Excellent chapter as per usual! I was shocked to not find a cliffhanger at the end! :2thumbs: I usually love cliffhangers, but my poor heart needed this perfectly penned break from them. :lol:

What? Circumnavigation, like all my stories, is entirely cliffhanger-free. 0:)

I was wondering the same thing, so I checked back on Captain Ali's direction:

I was under the belief that he was still going to continue to the fishing grounds and then hopefully sell his load and pick up his bounty in the Seychelles.

So essentially, they are currently heading away from each others. If Captain Ali does figure he needs to try to go back to Atlantis (yet, I figure he wouldn't because he is under the impression he has sunk it in what, a thousand feet of water?), he won't find the boat there. The only thing that i think may redirect Ali to search for Atlantis is if Bridget realizes the bullet holes won't sink Atlantis and lets Sanchez know who then can contact Ali.

Interesting what George and Bridget had to say about what was on Ares besides the asset list. Obviously something that would sell out the cartel as well as Bridget. I wonder what exactly though.?

Thanks for the chapter CJ :great:

You're right: he's heading for the fishing grounds. :) And yep, they are heading in opposite directions.

The water depth in that area varies, from ten thousand to as much as 15000. Very deep. That's where Trevor was heading for a while, when he had that little problem in chapter 48.

And yep... what's on the Ares besides the asset list is something they are terrified of, for very good reason. It's their main motive for trying to stop the search for the wreck of the Ares (framing Dirk was icing on the cake).

I can't say what it is (the Echidna would get me) but I can perhaps get away with saying what it's not... It's not an aardvark. 0:)

If he's heading west then I guess he'll be back to florida in no time??

Mcgiver\Trevor to the rescue

So who's going to save Trevor naked ass ... who the lucky Gay native?? Not Richard Dean Anderson??

Big captains decision - use the sheets for a sail or make his Tarzan uniform ?? Please vote??

Ever open your can food with a rusty screw driver

estimates

--- Day1

06:30 Algol sails away (8 knots -> 10 miles/hr )

11:30 Algol show signs of engine issues (50 miles/10= 5 Hours)

* If not then they sail for couple of hours with issues.

14:30 ?? Stuck in the water ( Total 80 miles away )

18:30 ?? Stuck in the water ( Total 120 miles away)

--- Day2

07:30 Trevor 2nd Day - No Algol

--- Day3

06:30 Trever be 11x3miles/hr=33 Miles

120+33 => 153 out of range of Zodiac one day - Bring gas

80+33 => 113 - pot luck for the them to figure which way - Bring Gas

Hey he lasted two sun setings ... the pirates must be really far away ... move than 100 miles ??

or stuck in the same place But now Trevor is underway ... he's putting distance away from them ... hopefully by the next morning he'll be more than 150 miles away from them at best.

By the time they sail by zodiac at 6:30am on day 3 - it will be a 8 hours and trevor be another 24 miles away.

153+24=174 Miles

113+23=136 miles

Unless they arrive during the night of Day2 or in the early morning of Day3 ... at Atlantis last know position.

But they still won't know where she is because it dark ... they could figure out that he's going west - southwest.

Hopefully - they will figure Atlantis sunk too deep to salvage the engine or prevented their engines damage and thus leave Trevor alone. But if not then Trevor has a midnight or 4am caller on his tail!!

An angry Ali - not being able to collect his 30K - wants the engines

Will Trevor wake up to the sound of out board engines? Will he be able to take out 4 to 6 guys?

Do you think Trevor will make it to the nearest shipping lanes and be picked up by a boat head to Australia

or run into another set of pirates?

Do you think he's hit south africa or make it into the atlantic?

Do you wonder if he will ever sail to austrailia?

He does have some money in his stash so he could by parts and get a loan from Joel and make atlantis sail able to austrailia? But you if doesn;t he is sailing towards the bad guys in the atlantic.

Its sad ... no unwash clothing of Joels for Trevor to sniff the scent of his friend.

hehe - nothing on his todo list about clothing

He can fish and salt down his catch ... maybe it will be good for a week??

He doesn't need to eat his entire can of dogs ... he can ration it to a can a day and eat sushi the next day.

Doesn't he have like 3 cases of hot dogs? So he could last 72 days

Bad news ... if Trevor reaches the atlantic ... he'll be in hurricane season in the Atlantic.

He'll be sunk by a storm.

Great point you've raised on the winds!

io14.jpg

That's a snap of a real wind chart for the area from mid-October, 2006. You're 100% right on the seasonal winds, but those are averages, and often are temporarily changed due to weather systems (in this case, a high pressure cell to Trevor's southeast, and in the southern hemisphere, high pressure systems rotate counter-clockwise). That's bending the winds a bit, so instead of their usual flow from southeast to northwest, they shifted to heading west, and will then shift some more to the southwest.

A seized engine is indeed toast in this case. One coming close under these circumstances would be heavily damaged. :)

Good point on the water... there would be tons of it, and it would slow Atlantis a lot. He has to either pump or bail it. Did anyone notice how? (it's in this chapter, and a prior one long ago, showing what he can use for a pump).

Boy needs to get his head clear and look around for another epirb.

He does, but one was in his ditch bag (gone) and one in his nav desk (they took the whole desk and drawers). The third is hull-mounted and was in the cockpit (and in a very prominent location), a type that releases and auto-activates if submerged. Would the pirates leave it? Would Trevor have seen it if they did? We'll find out in chapter 52. :)

Trevor is at the mercy of the wind... The Algol wasn't, when it's engines were working, and was heading for the fishing grounds. :) They do have a watermaker (Trevor's) but... without power from the engines, they couldn't run it. (solar panels would not provide enough juice).

B)...........Trevor is heading in the only direction he can, given that he can only travel downwind, currently pushing him west-southwest towards the middle of Madagascar. Ali was to travel towards the rich fish waters of Seychelles, why he is traveling east towards Australia is a mystery to me. Perhaps the goat got confused with directions? We all know how the goat misdirects! :lmao:

Diesel engines I have worked on are sealed, except for the exhaust, and as Trevor narrated the bilge was 2/3rds filled with sea water, the stacks would be fine. Another way Trevor could get the seawater out is by siphoning it and letting gravity take control, a long process, but doable and he could have both sides working at the same time. I'm sure there are many plastic or metal tubes lying around after they gutted it. Plus there one more thing, Captain Ali could simply chain saw the boat up and tow the the engines back in their hulls. A fishing trawler has winches and cranes to bring in the net filled bounty, shouldn't be a problem to hoist up the hull laden engines.

Siphoning wouldn't work... the water level in the bilges would be at or below the water line, and you can't siphon uphill. :) However, there is a way... Trevor even described it once, to Joel, and we saw him sort of use it once in this chapter. :)

And yep, Atlantis can only run downwind, or close to, with her current rig. She's badly crippled in many ways.

io14.jpg

The next chapter is called "Finding the Way". One thing it will include is maps plus some wind info, which should help. :)

Assuming trevor makes it to magascar ... what the first thing(s) he's going to do?

* Eat for the next three days non stop

* Call Joel and get the loan

* Buy an AK47 and grenade launchers

* Fix his boat and leave for Australia

:lol:.......He might be gay dude, but clothes, clothes, clothes! :lmao:

SHHHHH!!! We have Trevor naked until further notice... don't convince the goat to have him do anything rash... like finding clothing!

I could use some substance to visualize a naked Trevor?

Any one got any visual aids?

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..