[Jack Scribe] That's the Chicago Way

Here's the latest effort. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've proud of the results and hope you enjoy this fictional journey. With the new software/posting procedures, the new story is not yet able to be part of my story page.

Look forward to your feedback. As long-time readers are aware, it takes a few chapters for all the characters to be introduced.

Jack B)

• Like 3

Jack, your old story page doesn't have a working link to the new story.

After wandering through the GA.Stories, I found it here:

https://www.gayauthors.org/story/jack-scribe/thatsthechicagoway

Sorry for the inconvenience. The Hosted Author story pages are not yet compatible with the new posting software. However, I've been assured that this will be remedied in the near future.

Very good, Jack. I'm glad to finally see a new story from you. It's shows a lot of promise right from the start...romance and mystery...always a treat from you.

Like the joke about the doggie position.

Very good, Jack. I'm glad to finally see a new story from you. It's shows a lot of promise right from the start...romance and mystery...always a treat from you.

Like the joke about the doggie position.

Thanks for the note and pointing out my little boo-boo...which I fixed.

Yay! Three chapters in three days. The plot and action are moving along very well. Cooke and Kess really do need protection (no double entendre there).

Thanks, Jack, for another intriguing story.

Hi all

Just tried to get to Chapter 3 but I get a "Can't find chapter" error message.

I've even gone back ro chapter 1 and tried to use the next chapter function at the bottom, but according to that there isn't even a chapter 2 (which I've read) or a chapter 3.

The story summary also says the story is Complete at chapter 1!!

I assume this is a problem with the site rather than the story.

Hopefully it'll be fixed when I get home from work tonight!!

Loving the story so far.

Mark

Hi all

Just tried to get to Chapter 3 but I get a "Can't find chapter" error message.

I've even gone back ro chapter 1 and tried to use the next chapter function at the bottom, but according to that there isn't even a chapter 2 (which I've read) or a chapter 3.

The story summary also says the story is Complete at chapter 1!!

I assume this is a problem with the site rather than the story.

Hopefully it'll be fixed when I get home from work tonight!!

Loving the story so far.

Mark

Hey, Mark,

This has been a frustrating learning experience for me using this new software format in posting a story. It's actually a fairly easy process that is evolving. I posted Chapter 1 for reading this past Monday. Since then, I've uploaded two more chapters with future posting dates. Chapter 2 will be released 1/24 and Chapter 3, 1/31. Chapter 2 was accessable for a while because I wasn't aware of a box I had to unclick each time I was in the chapter for an edit. Sorry you were caught in the crack of this boo-boo and trust the remaining chapters will hold your interest. FYI, there are 17 chapters.

Jack

• Like 2

Hey, Mark,

This has been a frustrating learning experience for me using this new software format in posting a story. It's actually a fairly easy process that is evolving. I posted Chapter 1 for reading this past Monday. Since then, I've uploaded two more chapters with future posting dates. Chapter 2 will be released 1/24 and Chapter 3, 1/31. Chapter 2 was accessable for a while because I wasn't aware of a box I had to unclick each time I was in the chapter for an edit. Sorry you were caught in the crack of this boo-boo and trust the remaining chapters will hold your interest. FYI, there are 17 chapters.

Jack

Hi Jack

Thanks for the reply.

I did think it was odd that you were releasing the story so quickly.

I'm definitely looking forward to reading the rest of the story.

Mark

Just curious...am I the only person other than Jack and his editors who, by sheer good fortune of timing, has read all of the first three chapters? Posted Image

I'm glad I didn't post any spoilers. Posted Image

Yes, MikeL, you are. As mentioned earlier, your quickness allowed you to slip in and read these chapters while I was having difficulty in the uploading process. Therefore, I'd appreciate not discussing anything beyond Ch. 1. 0:) BTW, with this new story posting process, I'm experiencing almost no feedback. Oy.

Jack,

The changeover process at GA is really making it hard for the readers to know what's new that has been posted, since even that process is new (the listing is on the side of the homepage for GA.) It still has a lot of the re-posted material being shown, and I was just lucky I saw your announcement/post last week about TTCW, and was on the lookout.

Once all the authors get caught up, then I suspect regular visitors will have a lot less trouble finding the newest released material.

I did enjoy Chapter 1 a lot, I was glad to see that some of the characters are, so far, related to the Splash crew, and I'm sure some of the others we'll be meeting will be or be connected with some of the other characters we met in your earlier stories set in Chicago.

Yes, MikeL, you are. As mentioned earlier, your quickness allowed you to slip in and read these chapters while I was having difficulty in the uploading process. Therefore, I'd appreciate not discussing anything beyond Ch. 1. 0:) BTW, with this new story posting process, I'm experiencing almost no feedback. Oy.

I think theschnauzers is right about the lack of feedback. The new system doesn't seem to promote chapter releases as well as the old system did. I can't put my finger on just what the difference is. Hopefully, after everyone has transferred all their work to the new system, new chapter notices won't fall off the bottom of the Story Announcements list as quickly as they do now. If you post frequent responses in this discussion forum, you would improve the chances that more people would be aware that you have started a new story.

Sorry I read chapters I wasn't supposed to see. It was pure, dumb luck that I saw them when I did. I will take extra care not to spoil anyone's reading by mentioning something from an unpublished chapter. That's the reason for my "spoiler" about spoilers in the previous post.

Posted Image

I think theschnauzers is right about the lack of feedback. The new system doesn't seem to promote chapter releases as well as the old system did.

The key word is "new" and it's still in infancy with bugs being worked out. As you pointed out, the archived stories are still being transferred so it is hard to discover an author's new work.

Saying that, I have been monitoring the number of views and they're getting up to former levels. I decided a long time ago that most of my readers keep a low profile. As long as they're reading and not throwing bombs...I'm happy.

FYI, everyone: the chapters will be posted every Monday. Here's a terrific montage of my favorite American city.

Jack B)

post-2978-0-43690100-1295730701_thumb.jpg

Hmm, sorry, i am one of those unresponsive readers !

Actually I have been following your stories for quite some time (i am not even sure which one was first, i've been lurking for years ;)). And i really like your writing !!

I think its great you started a new story :-) So pleeeaase dont let your reader's unresponsiveness discourage you ! I am sure all those other lurkers feel the same and are really happy that you give us a new story to read :))

No fear, YaP, I've come to accept the quietness of my readers. I will say that I do see the viewer counts...and they are very high! :2thumbs: As MikeL will attest, my stories do start slow - I feel more comfortable building layers to the characters and the plotlines. I like to say: "Keep on truckin'." We've barely begun on this journey and I appreciate all who are along for the ride.

I'm glad to see that some more of the characters from past stories (mostly set in Chicago) are making appearances, and I suspect we're not done with those yet. And I can see already where one character that's been promised comes into the story.

Good chapter Jack, I guess we should be glad that we're not dealing with Lakeshore Drive the way it was last night (blizzard whiteout conditions). :lmao:

Good chapter Jack, I guess we should be glad that we're not dealing with Lakeshore Drive the way it was last night (blizzard whiteout conditions). :lmao:

I saw pictures of Lake Shore Drive with all the abandoned cars last night and was flabbergasted. WOW! I'd never seen anything like that. For New Yorkers, imagine the Westside Highway or East River Drive filled with abandoned cars sitting in monster snowdrifts. And I'm lounging in Palm Springs, bitching that we're having a cool spell of around 60 degrees today. :blink:

The stakes have definitely been raised in chapter 4 . The cooler heads are not prevailing among the bad guys. Indeed, things are really heating up.

Now, this Kris is something else. It's a good thing he doesn't dislike slightly older guys.

If he and Evan strike up something more of a relationship than a one-time hook-up, Kris could become an investigative reporter really fast.

Great chapter, Jack.

The stakes have definitely been raised in chapter 4 . The cooler heads are not prevailing among the bad guys. Indeed, things are really heating up.

Now, this Kris is something else. It's a good thing he doesn't dislike slightly older guys.

If he and Evan strike up something more of a relationship than a one-time hook-up, Kris could become an investigative reporter really fast.

Kris is a little full of himself...but in a loveable way. The guy is one determined dude who goes after what he wants. The story is slowly setting up itself.

Jack B)

Chapter 5, "It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over"' has been posted.

Kris is going to end up in the middle of everything that's going on. I have to say that Evan is one sharp cookie except for one chance encounter. He's trying to keep his boss out of trouble, but doesn't fully understand the trouble he is in himself.

I look forward to Oleg's appearance.

Chapter 6, "Gentlemen Always Carry Cards", is now available. This is another good chapter, Jack. The plot is developing well and the cast of characters is gradually increasing.

I'm really wondering what is going to happen at the party when Kris and Russ meet and they both end up in the company of the professor. Will Kris' mobility be an embarrassment?

If anyone asks, I now know what Peggy Lee and William Shakespeare have in common.